Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not versed in US politics of the time, but I can tell with different elected officials, the butterflies really flap now with Gore at Potus.
[2] Random weather butterflies mean that a weaker Hurricane Andrew missed the US but a stronger, deadlier Bonnie hit the gulf coast as a Class 4.
Where on the Gulf Coast did Bonnie hit, @Geekhis Khan?
And who died in Bonnie and survived in Andrew's absence?

Last edited:
Gore-Tsongas Declared Winners of 1992 Election
1640531507245.png

Hurrah for President Gore!

I can't say anything about the rest since I don't understand it, but those are some interesting butterflies. Can't wait how this will change the timeline.

And funny how we finally got the weather changing because of butterflies. Took us long enough.

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

A delayed merry christmas from me!

Oooh, politics! I never doubted Gore for a second really, but the victory is a good one nonetheless! Sorry Jim, looks like you're going to get a lot more power than you wanted. Much as I like Gore and I think he'll be a really good President for the country, I do have to worry about how Tipper Gore is going to handle all of it. Knocking Steny Hoyer out of contention is shocking, though Larry Hogan being the one to do it makes sense, but the elimination of Newt is definitely the biggest one to note. Not that a Republican Revolution cannot happen, but it is certainly going to be a lot harder for the House to fall so drastically. Same goes for the, presumed at present, stunted careers of Strickland, Santorum and Inslee.

Now onto the senate. Dixon getting a close win interests me, as does Pete Wilson staying in the race. It definitely feels like the moderate Republicans still have something of a grasp that's hard to shake off here. And of course, Packwood doing the Packwood thing comes back to bite him here harder. Bentsen and Nunn's replacements should be interesting, at the very least and the most scandal driven figure in the cabinet is Ron Brown. And that might comes across relatively minor, so who knows what might happen? Definitely going to be interesting moving forward and I loved the update.

I'm not versed in US politics of the time, but I can tell with different elected officials, the butterflies really flap now with Gore at Potus.

If it helps, I can point to some elections I found notable while I was crunching numbers.

In Maryland's 5th, the current Governor, Larry Hogan, defeated the current Majority Leader, Steny Hoyer.

In the New York Senate race Geraldine Ferraro beat Al D'Amato who would go on, IOTL, to lose to the current Senate Majority Leader, Chuck Schumer, in 1998.

In Illinois, Carol Moseley Braun who was elected IOTL lost in 1998 making that a Republican seat when it came up next in 2004 when then State Senator Barack Obama won it.

And just kind of a weird quirk is the New York Conservative Party came in 2nd ITTL's 1990 Governor Race which means under state Law they are considered the #2 Party and get the second ballot slot. So they flexed their muscles a little and kept a Bush/Quayle ticket. Which is why Bush has "two" popular votes as Bush New York voters split close to down the middle between each "ticket".

I do also have a list I'm tracking of major offices in each state as that's generally where future Governors and Senators come from. I might show that to anyone who's interested in that I think have an Up to 1992 version.
Hurrah for President Gore!

I can't say anything about the rest since I don't understand it, but those are some interesting butterflies. Can't wait how this will change the timeline.

And funny how we finally got the weather changing because of butterflies. Took us long enough.

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan
It is possible, that I got way more in the weeds than anyone else would care to, lol. I mean I made a gerrymandered districting plan for three states ITTL using Excel.

I do appreciate @Geekhis Khan letting me help out with the political stuff. I love working on this stuff.

Thanks again, all, and Happy Boxing Day for my UK/Commonwealth readers.

I'll be taking the rest of the year off, so no posts Tue or Thur. Enjoy your New Year.

NGL, the George Carlin Muppet Carol sounds amazing, and I wish a certain someone hadn't interfered...
Yea, it could have been fun. The "three ghosts" was a meta-joke, of course, and I hadn't originally planned on doing more than a "it happened" post for MCC, but then when I realized Christmas was a Sat this year, I thought, why not? After seeing a flood of "Why The Muppets Christmas Carol is the Perfect Adaption" type videos, I realized that I should keep precious memories intact here. And reading all of the posts about watching it with family, I'll stand by that decision.

I read that all in Caine’s voice
Awesome. I tried to write it all in his voice. :)

What about just having a pleasant day, for us atheists on the board?
Ah, but I gave you the best give of all, spiritually speaking: Nothing. ;)

All said, the Festivus nod was intended in part for Atheists and Agnostics. At least around here the Atheists like to troll the evangelical population by adding Festivus Poles to Christmas/Holiday displays. One a few years back was made from Pabst Blue Ribbon cans. The dude won a court case to add it to the town display alongside the Tree, Nativity, and Menorah.

Where on the Gulf Coast did Bonnie hit, @Geekhis Khan?

Good update, BTW...
Well, let's say the eye made landfall just east of Mobile after sweeping over Cuba. It was only a Category 4 (compared to Andrew's Cat. 5), so less absolutely devastating. OTL 64 died. Let's call it a couple dozen deaths, lots of homes destroyed or damaged. I don't know of any "important names" lost in OTL (all the people lost were important to me, but you get the gist).

It is possible, that I got way more in the weeds than anyone else would care to, lol. I mean I made a gerrymandered districting plan for three states ITTL using Excel.

I do appreciate @Geekhis Khan letting me help out with the political stuff. I love working on this stuff.
I appreciate your singular obsession, @jpj1421, and am happy to let you have your fun there. It's certainly way more than I ever planned to do.

Congrats to Dick and Jim on the new positions. The 90s is going to be one heck of a time.
I hope so.

Thanks again, all, it's been a great year, Timeline speaking at least (can't say much about things outside of that!). See you next year.

I guess this was expected, but congrats to Al Gore and Paul Tsongas for their win!

With them as President/Vice President, I suppose American politics is going to diverge massively from OTL. Can't wait to see how they will do since they have the majority and can actually implement their agenda. With Gore, I'm totally optimistic for a Green America ITTL compared to OTL.

Heck, maybe places in the Rust Belt like Detroit and Flint could avoid the infrastructure degradation amidst all of these new changes (maybe the Midwest won't be a huge depression sink as Americans like to think of it OTL), which I'm even more excited for.

What exactly happens to Frank Wells now that he has won the bet? I'm assuming he's leaving his role as President and Chairman while Miller remains as CEO (although I don't think he will stay past the 2000s or the late 90s once he finds a successor), but what role does he play in the new Gore Administration? It's a new mountain that he has to climb, but I'm excited to see where his political career goes next. Not to mention...he hasn't climbed Everest yet!

It's a bit sad that the Quadrumvirate has been dissolved like this, but this has literally been the Disney Utopia for the past decade now and all good things must come to an end.

Well Congratz to President-Elect Gore and his team.

A clear, non-corrupt win with no chads to spoil it. ;)

Should be interesting to see how Gore and his people do in office now.

Good there are more women on the Hill now.

Some changes to come at Disney heh @Geekhis Khan ?

Interview with Michael Caine
Des O’Connor Tonight, December 15th, 1992

It feels like Christmas!

1640603930834.png

Add me to the list of people glad this hasn't changed much.

I still celebrate Christmas as an atheist, it can be a secular holiday.

Yep, same here. My Mum's also an atheist but has a nativity scene in her decorations because she thinks it looks nice.

(I'm also vegetarian, and celebrate Hogswatchnight without the pig products.:))

Gore-Tsongas Declared Winners of 1992 Election

Democrats Make Marginal Gains in Senate, Lose Ground in House
Okay, interested to see what happens next.

Hope everyone had a happy whatever.

Does this incident still occur on Saturday Night Live in TTL:

The problem nowadays is seen not as the fact that she did it, but that she didn't provide context for it (the reason why she tore up the pope's photo was that she was protesting the Catholic Church child sex abuse scandals in 1992--and she would be vindicated a decade later). Maybe, in TTL, she explains why she is tearing up the pope's photo, especially with the earlier #MeToo movement...

I don't know if this will be enough to save her career, but she will hopefully still have one in TTL...

The problem nowadays is seen not as the fact that she did it, but that she didn't provide context for it (the reason why she tore up the pope's photo was that she was protesting the Catholic Church child sex abuse scandals in 1992--and she would be vindicated a decade later). Maybe, in TTL, she explains why she is tearing up the pope's photo, especially with the earlier #MeToo movement...
I don't think #MeToo will contribute heavily to an ITTL vindication of this act, but rather the busting of Alphy's Soda Pop Club and The Second Mile since both events managed to cause an increased awareness in child sex abuse and their perpetrators, including the Catholic Church.

I don't know if this will be enough to save her career, but she will hopefully still have one in TTL...
With all of that information, it's likely that her act would be far more palatable among her peers, allowing her to keep her career.

Status
Not open for further replies.