Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

honestly...this challenge is kinda restrictive...has to be a commonwealth style flag, only 3 kingdoms are allowed to be represented and they all have to eurocentric...

Sorry about making yet another Iberian flag. :eek:

Story: The Muslims in Iberia make an alliance with the Kingdom of Navarre in the 11th century, and the Kingdom of Navarre conquers the northern parts of the Iberian peninsula, most notably the Aragonese and Castillian areas, and so Castille never becomes an independent state, let alone a colonial power.

The Caliphate of Cordoba and the Kingdom of Navarre exist as the only two countries on the peninsula other than the Kingdom of Galicia for more than 500 years, until republican revolts in the Kingdoms of Navarre and Galicia in the 17th century. Both countries become republics, and end up uniting and becoming a commonwealth, officially the Commonwealth of Northern Iberia.

Meaning: Blue for Galicia. Red for Navarre. Green for the fertile lands. Gold for the unity. And the coat of arms are in the middle.

CoNI.png

Sorry about making yet another Iberian flag. :eek:

Story: The Muslims in Iberia make an alliance with the Kingdom of Navarre in the 11th century, and the Kingdom of Navarre conquers the northern parts of the Iberian peninsula, most notably the Aragonese and Castillian areas, and so Castille never becomes an independent state, let alone a colonial power.

The Caliphate of Cordoba and the Kingdom of Navarre exist as the only two countries on the peninsula other than the Kingdom of Galicia for more than 500 years, until republican revolts in the Kingdoms of Navarre and Galicia in the 17th century. Both countries become republics, and end up uniting and becoming a commonwealth, officially the Commonwealth of Northern Iberia.

Meaning: Blue for Galicia. Red for Navarre. Green for the fertile lands. Gold for the unity. And the coat of arms are in the middle.

Can I suggest you use a different shade for the blue/green or a fimibriation in gold around the central band ? they tend to bleed into one another. Also, the cross looks kind of blury. Otherwise, interesting design.

Commonwealths of Oceania

"Following the dissolution of the British Empire (due to the the constitutional crisis over the marrige of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson and the then british governments neutrality in the Second World War), the Dominions of Australia, New Zealand and the Territories of Papua and New Guinea, formed the Treaty of Sydeny, establishing the Commonwealth of Australasia and Melanesia, a federation styled governenment for joint administration and military protection (largely due to the presence of the Japanense Empire at the time), and, although they retained the monarch as head of state, they refused to accept Edward or his heirs as the legitimate rulers, and so invested all powers within a joint elected Lord Protector, until such time as "the true heir of Windsor retakes the throne".

Over the years that followed, 17 nations (formed from the remaining european possessions and former japanese occupied territories within the remainder of Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia) joined the Commonwealth, their admission resulting in a rewrite of its federal constitution and the ultimate creation of the Commonwealths of Oceania, today the dominant force within the Pacific and Indian oceans."

Flag: The center bears the Seal of the Commonwealths; a central field of dark blue (as the night sky) bearing the Southern cross and Commonwealth star, representing the Commonwealths position on the globe, tinctured in red, white and blue, showing their historical originas with Britian and other european members. Surrounding this core symbol, is a pair of gold, shell shaped rings, bearing between them the offical state title, the "Commonwealths of Oceania", and seven, various sized stars, representing the original seven territories that formed the original Commonwealth of Australasia and Melanesia.
The seal lays on a field of white, bordered by two strips of light blue ontop and below, representing the pure seas and skies surrounding the various membrs, whilst the white represents a new begining and peaceful future.

1000px-Flag_of_the_Torres_Strait_Islanderssvg21-1.png

Last edited:
The Seven Years' War goes differently, and the conflict ends with a white peace between France and GB. But a few years later, after the US war for independence and the French Revolution, royalists takes over the North American territories of France. The three new kingdoms merge quickly into the North American Commonwealth, or Union Nord-Américaine.
The Flag depicts the royal colors White/Gold/Blue, three stars for the three entities Louisiana/Quebec/Acadia and the seal depicts a fleur-de-lys and the motto : Strength, Unity, Royalty.

120226045952989479.png

The Seven Years' War goes differently, and the conflict ends with a white peace between France and GB. But a few years later, after the US war for independence and the French Revolution, royalists takes over the North American territories of France. The three new kingdoms merge quickly into the North American Commonwealth, or Union Nord-Américaine.
The Flag depicts the royal colors White/Gold/Blue, three stars for the three entities Louisiana/Quebec/Acadia and the seal depicts a fleur-de-lys and the motto : Strength, Unity, Royalty.

120226045952989479.png
I think your design is distinctive enough that you don't need the writing. Unless that is you were trying to immitate those god awfull US states' flags type.....

eidt: answeared x3

also should repostion your small fluer de lis in the circle, so they actually bend with the curves

Last edited:
honestly...this challenge is kinda restrictive...has to be a commonwealth style flag, only 3 kingdoms are allowed to be represented and they all have to eurocentric...

Sorry. I had to be restrictive to forestall billions of Republic Flags ;).
I quite like what you did with it though.

CHALLENGER'S NOTE:
To confirm: Dominions and other similar territories that that the former monarch would have been head of state of are allowable.
Additionally the 3 Kingdoms may have colonies abroad that are not yet represented.

Dutch Pacific Comonwealth

The war for the Anglo-Dutch wars turned very differently. Reeling for her loss, Spain decides to deal with the devil, she teamed up with Britain in taking down Netherlands. And while Spain and Britain have successfully partitioned Netherlands, In the Pacific though, thing became very different, the Dutch had successfully took over Philippines, Formosa, and Malaya. And while most of the countries in South East Asia is primitive, the Philippines is unique for having a heavily westernized civilization with a standard of life no different to her former master, Spain.

When the exiled William III set foot on the Philippines, he decided that he will start all over again here and rename it as New Netherlands, it shall be one of the first Constitutional Monarchy in the world. He chose to make the capital of his new kingdom to be in Cebu due to three reasons:

1. Philippine's capital, Manila is still loyal to Spain.
  2. Cebu is as advance as Manila, and is also home to the oldest university in South East Asia.
  3. Because it is located in the very heart of his kingdom and it's Commonwealth.
Rather than to make a "rigid" empire, he decides to make it a commonwealth instead (pretty much the same as Poland-Lithuania), he belies that the sultanates will be happy if he gives them the right of autonomy. And for this, the Pacific Dutch Commonwealth is nicknamed, "The Poland-Lithuania of the East".

The Flag

The stripes represent the Dutch monarchial colors (and the Flag of the New Netherlands), The Lion Shield represents the Orange family itself, the four roundels represent the other member-states of the commonwealth. Clockwise from Top-Left :

• Formosa
  • Grand Duchy of Manila (consists of Metro Manila, Central Luzon, and CaLaBARZon)
  • Malayan states.
  • Indonesia

New Netherlands..JPG

Last edited:
Les Royaumes-Unis Bourbonniens

At a time when the forces of liberalism and reactionaries clashes in Europe, king Charles XI of France manage to unite the french, spanish & duosicilian branches of the bourbon family to protect themselves against revolutionaries and rival noble houses.

The flag is composed of the white cross on blue of france, the red saltire ragulee on white of spain and the white field bordered red and green of the 2 siciles. Overall are the arms of the House of Bourbon

rub.png

Last edited:
And my entry (which is a bit pants due to having to use Paint this week :rolleyes:)

The United Commonwealth of Galicia, Leon, and Seville
La Comunidade Unida da Galiza e León e Sevilha

Sometimes erroneously called the First Asturian Commonwealth, the United Commonwealth was formed from the United Kingdoms of Galicia, Leon, and Seville following the death of King Sancho the Mad during the Regency of his illegitimate nephew Count-Bishop Affonso.
King Sancho's closest heirs being ruled out of succession and Affonso also discounted through holy orders the 3 Parliaments decided to continue the Regency until a better option for the throne presented itself.

The Flag of the UC consistes of 3 vertical bands of Blue, White, Green representing each Realm and surmounted by a golden band with 3 upward crosses-pattee and 3 downward trefoils to reflect the 3 Crowns in union. It reflects the Royal (later Regents) Standard composed of each traditional royal standard (Galicia, Leon, Seville in top row, and Leon, Seville, Galicia in bottom row)

Asturia.PNG

Last edited:

Morty Vicar

Banned
I'm not very good at the fluff, but lets just say Phillip V wins the war of the Spanish succession, and this is the result..

(Click for larger image)

Damn, I've missed the challenge again. And the topic was so interesting. I was already making plans for a flag. :(

Oh well... I'll definitely vote again and I'll join the next round. :)

Damn, I've missed the challenge again. And the topic was so interesting. I was already making plans for a flag. :(

Oh well... I'll definitely vote again and I'll join the next round. :)

And I gave everyone an extra day too :D

need to throw up the poll...already being a day

:mad: It's only been 8 hours and I'm on UK time. I'm dedicated to AH just not for going without sleep!

Designing the poll now...