Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

The only ideas I could come up with would be ruled out as ASB.

TBH I entered with nil expectation of winning!

You are more experienced, so would you please let me stand aside for you to create the next challenge, xt828?

Here is the new flag challenge:

Alternate colonial independence

Many European countries, throughout the colonial period established colonies which were unsuccessful or which they sold or had taken away from them.

Design a flag for one of these colonies, as if it had been granted independence in the 1960s. No need to post a timeline, but kudos if you do.

Example colonies: Italian East Africa, New Netherland, New Sweden, Mosquito Coast, Gao.

A reminder that all entries should be 300px high.

Challenge begins: Monday May 27th
Challenge ends: Monday June 3rd
Voting begins: Monday June 3rd
Voting ends: Monday June 10th

All dates in AEST (GMT+10)

Good luck!

So are the flags we are making for independent states that were once colonies (IE: India, USA, Canada), or flags of colonies (Gibraltar, Hong Kong Colonial Flag, etc)?

Last edited:
The Commonwealth of Hong Kong.
Formerly the British Overseas Colony of Hong Kong

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Seemingly he fears that a flag of 300px might look blurry or distorted.

Oh. There are quite a few ways around that and it's never really come up as an issue before - the reason there's a rule is that people were submitting a variety of sizes.

So are the flags we are making for independent states that were once colonies (IE: India, USA, Canada), or flags of colonies (Gibraltar, Hong Kong Colonial Flag, etc)?

I've been away from the internet for a bit, otherwise I'd have responded before your entry.

The idea of the contest is the flags of independent states which were once colonies - except that instead of their final colonial masters, it's someone else who historically held that region. I did try to illustrate this with my examples - an independent New Netherlands, etc.

A flag of an independent Hong Kong works in the same way that the flag of an independent Gao would, so I'm happy with that as an entry.

I give you the flag of Tharangambadi, formerly the Danish East Indies, which includes a bit more hinterland than Denmark held in OTL, as well as the Nicobar Islands. Known to Europeans as Tranquebar, as a result of more able administrators and staying on Great Britain's good side after the territories were restored to the Danes in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars, the Danish settlements in southern India were actually profitable, and were not sold to Great Britain as in OTL. They remained Danish until independence in 1968. On the flag, the Danish cross is displaced and the canton enlarged, with wavy blue and white stripes symbolizing the name of the town, which means "place of the singing waves" in Tamil. The star, representing the aspirations of the citizens, is a geometric form sometimes found in the Kolam drawings common to the area.

Tharangambadi.png

Republic of Kayu Putih.
Indonesian (Makassar and Bugis) colony in Northern Australia, colonists intermarried with local Aboriginal peoples, while retaining Australian art heritages.
Aboriginal.PNG
Black shield = Traditional Shield of Australian Aborigines.
The boat = Perahu used by the Indonesians to travel to Australia
The crescent and the star: later religions of Islam and Christianity.
Kangaroo: Australia.
British Flag: The colony's ultimate fate of being annexed by British Australia (with stronger Indonesian influences and larger native populations than OTL).

Aboriginal.PNG

The Commonwealth of Hong Kong.
Formerly the British Overseas Colony of Hong Kong

Think this one is going to win.

Perhaps, but only if it is resized to fit the 300px height rule :p

Dominion of the River Plate (Río de la Plata)
As will this one need to be
There's a couple that I really like the look of in this contest.
Hopefully mine among them but perhaps not :D