Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Very nice batch of flags. Always amazes me how many different looks can can evolve from a very similar template.

Good luck all.

Thanks for the votes, and a well done to all the other submissions.

I've posted the new challenge in the proper thread, and will repost it here incase there are any questions.

Challenge 13: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

Design the 2010 ATL flag of an independent political entity derived from any colony which failed in our timeline.

Any era, location, and nation of origin is acceptable as long as the colony existed in OTL, failed in OTL, and has survived to the present day in the ATL. Failure can be interpreted as destruction or complete absorbtion. (ie. New Sweden, Darien Scheme: yes; Independent Quebec, Dutch South Africa: No)

Last edited:
Here's my entry then:

Flag of the Vrylander Republic which developed from the colonies of the New Netherlands.

This flag removed the white cross from the eagle's chest and a black arrow in its talons; it followed the (nonviolent) White Revolution of 1985 that enabled reforms such as freedom of religion and speech, politicial parties other than the Vrylander People's Party, and a reduction in the powers of the Stathouder.
While Calvinism and Vrylander Dutch are still the official religion and language, others are now tolerated by the Government.

NewNetherlands.png

Last edited:
Russian Alyeska

Long a trading opportunity for the Russian-Alyeska Co., the real influx of Russian settlers began in 1824 with the establishment of the Orthodox Diocese of Alyeska. The first Bishop, Dmitri Pavelayevitch, drew many from the 'corruption of catholic and protestant heretics in Europe' to the fresh start of the new world. The Maid of Sitka also drew devotees with her miraculous visions and healing blessings. It wasn't long before Alyeska was a major seat of Orthodox learning and theological meditation, unhindered by the imperial politics of Moscow.

With the collapse of the Empire after the War of Crimea, the new world colony was cast adrift by it's old world lords, and the commercial and theological came together to fashion a new society, the Orthodox Republic of Alyeska. The modern flag draws its colours from the original Russian-Alyeska Co flag (inverted), with a prominent Orthodox Cross centered.

(Note: this may be the first ever Alaska ATL flag that doesn't incorporate the Big Dipper/Ursa Major constellation... what was I thining?!?)

Alyeska.png

This has been sitting in my HD for a while, so... inspired from the flag of Nova Scotia, the flag of France Antarctique.

franceantarctiqueinvers.png

Here is my entry, the flag of the independent Ghana after colonial rule by the Swedes.

The blue bar at the bottom symbolizes the ocean and the strong naval tradition. The golden / yellow bar in the middle symbolizes the richness of the country, while the black bar at the top symbolizes the people, as well as the night sky. The colours of the two lower bars are, of course, also lifted from the Swedish flag.

The four-pointed star is Polaris, again showing the naval tradition of the Swedes, as well as the Scandinavian/Northern roots and the largely Christian population.

swed%20ghana.PNG

Last edited:
Flag of Christiana (independent New Sweden). It's based on the Swedish flag with the colours reversed with the white and the star representing Christianan independence. The blue stripe also represents the Delaware River.
New Sweden.png

New Sweden.png

Should we wrap up this round? Its been 5 days, more than the 'official' four... unfortunately Eigen didn't add a closure point when he launched us...

Should we wrap up this round? Its been 5 days, more than the 'official' four... unfortunately Eigen didn't add a closure point when he launched us...

yea I was thinkin the same thing, I think everyone who is gonna post has already

So, fabroni posted the new challenge and I am here to contribute!

My choice was Persia/Iran, which is divided after a POD in the year 1946 between the Soviets, who don't want to go, and the British, who install a puppet dictator.

The first flag, the Flag of Nothern Persia / the People's Republic of Iran is a tricolore spotting the Pan-Iranian colours, as well as the classic hammer and sickle, as well as two stars, showing the Soviet backing of the government.

The second flag, which is used by Southern Persia / the Free Republic of Persia is more complex, while overall staying in Pan-Iranian colours. In the center, there is the faravahar, showing the cultural roots of the country.
Communist%20Iran.png

Free%20Persia.png

Last edited:
I'm guessing many divisions will be the fault of the Soviets for this challenge...

I present the flags of North and South Japan, more properly known as the Peoples Democratic Republic of Japan and the Republic of Japan.

The PDRJ flag uses soviet iconography of stars and red/yellow. The large star overlaid on the rising sun shows the preeminence of the people on the empire, while the three smaller stars represent the three home islands of the PDRJ.

The RoJ flag rejects the imperial trappings of the past. Instead the stylized cherry blossom represents the peace and harmony that are the bedrocks of the republic. The thirteen blue and white bars are in recognition of the democratic ideals adopted from the Americans of the refounded republic following the fall of Tokyo in 1946.

PDRJ & RoJ.png

Last edited:
This challenge is a toughie. Here I've got a Philippines divided by Japan and the US at the end of WWII. My first instinct was to make the flags complementary, but it would seem like there was a collaboration between the US and Japan on the flag design. lol!

Japan Controlled Luzon (North): Luzon Autonomous Territory

4452858947_b06dc418a5_o.png

US Controlled Visayas and Mindanoa (South): Commonwealth of the Southern Philippine Islands

4458642197_14130e33e0_o.png

If you've got any suggestions let me know. Here are my early designs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22858803@N02/sets/72157623544253871/detail/

Last edited:
I've been racking my brains for a clever one but falling back on my first (slightly bad) idea:

A different end to WW1 causes France to go heavily Fascist, following its defeat it is divided into Separate North & South Republics.

The Federal Republic of France in the north. Allied to the US, UK, and the German Empire. It has a federal parliamentary system similar to OTL Federal Republic of Germany.

The People's Republic of France in the south. Allied to Communist Spain and Italy as a member of the Latin Union, the Soviet Union, and Yugoslavia. In addition to a President and a Premier it also has a Chairman who is part of the ruling council of the Latin Union.

FlagChallenge14.png

Last edited: