Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

The voting thread is now up.

It will be up for a week, unless I forget it again.
Edit in the actual challenge, that way if you post a link in the flag thread people will know what the criteria are who weren't following the challenge thread

Flag Challenge #288: Capepunk

I tried to think of an area that hadn't been covered by the previous challenges and came up with superhero fiction. I think there's a lot of room for creativity here. Superhero teams, fictional mutant island nations, countries overrun by supervillains, and so on can all have flags.

Your task is to make a flag for something like that. It can be either a flag for a polity from an existing comic universe or something completely new.

Submissions Close: 07:00pm GMT, May 24th

Please remember to review the RULES, especially concerning flag size. For an image in a single-flag entry, the shortest side must be 600 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 1200 pixels or less.

Flag Challenge #288: Capepunk

I tried to think of an area that hadn't been covered by the previous challenges and came up with superhero fiction. I think there's a lot of room for creativity here. Superhero teams, fictional mutant island nations, countries overrun by supervillains, and so on can all have flags.

Your task is to make a flag for something like that. It can be either a flag for a polity from an existing comic universe or something completely new.

Submissions Close: 07:00pm GMT, May 24th

Please remember to review the RULES, especially concerning flag size. For an image in a single-flag entry, the shortest side must be 600 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 1200 pixels or less.
I'm into it, I had a neat idea for a supervillain alliance/Legion of Doom that literally creates their own microcontinent to avoid extradition 😂 hands off idea thieves!

Zothique.png

The skies were red, there was a rumble in the Earth, and overnight it was there. No one outside the Despotate of Zothique knows where it came from, just that it appeared, a virgin microcontinent, in the heart of the Pacific Ocean. Theories abound. Sunken land raised from the depths? A place transported from the past or future? One called down from space? A voracious living organism? No one knows for sure, and the Cadre, greatest band of sorcerors and science villains the world has ever seen, certainly aren't telling, though they've used the threat of vengeance weapons of terrible power to force the issue of international recognition. The Cadre rules the land with an iron fist, having populated it entirely with their followers and servitors, wielding supreme power from the capitol city of Rendang. As near as the members of the heroic Deep State can tell, the Despotate is divided into five primary factions:
  • The Children of the Broken World, serving the whims of the Crooked Man. What if Ra's al Ghul was the Joker?
  • The Bloody Tongue, servitors of the Queen of Sighs. Basically Doctor Strange foe Umar.
  • The Vril Society, guided by the iron will of Sun Koh. Red Skull meets Namor.
  • The Ancestors of Tsan Chan, devotees of the Maker of Moons. Mandarin meets Vandal Savage but Lovecraftian.
  • The Abhuman Liberation Front, shepherded by the Typhonian. Magneto, but with powers revolving around causing natural disasters.
The flag of the despotate combines symbols of these five fractions, with a Vril sign inside a sigil of the Bloody Tongue, black and gold favored by the Typhonian, the particular shade of green for the Crooked Man and an overall structure based on the banner of Tsan Chan.

Basically, what if a Legion of Doom controlled a much larger version of Gamorra?

Last edited:
Flag Challenge #289: Give Me A Break, Martha Washington!

Based on a recent convo I had about the Give Me Liberty comic over on Sufficient Velocity I had a neat idea for the challenge! The mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick a successor state from that depiction of the Second Civil War and design a decent flag for it!

s-ye8oIxoUr1zvuRELPo55Tv_0i2zwsM1dOT1V8a_g7FD3jTyjgs-f7rYNSREXWy5AkA7rprclL19arC8NcGdvN26TTloK6F4hSLLPbNON0ovXm7iCTVr96UcB1oLZ7rSEIBzA=s0

You can't change any of the descriptions, alignments, or lore, but I think they're interesting enough to open up all sorts of possibilities!

Submissions Close: 10:00pm CST, June 11th

Last edited:
Busy this weekend but if nobody has one they're actively working on I'll put up an alternate challenge Monday
I think removing the requirements for the flag to follow Give Me Liberty canon (i.e. just make it a flag for a post-US successor in general) would open the challenge up to entries. I don't think many people here actually read it.

I think removing the requirements for the flag to follow Give Me Liberty canon (i.e. just make it a flag for a post-US successor in general) would open the challenge up to entries. I don't think many people here actually read it.
That's why I included the map 😂 it describes enough about each one to be useful, you don't actually get much of an in-depth look at the internal politics of the successor states in the book proper anyway. Hell the conquest of Mexico happens off screen under Dan Quayle before the story even starts.

Okay, I'll go with a challenge...

Flag Challenge #289 (reboot): Better - or worse - together

Going a bit ASB with this one:
Design a flag for a multi-national military organisation (like NATO, SEATO, CTSO, the Warsaw Pact, etc), formed by a group of nations aligned with a nation which in OTL lost a war (e.g. the CSA, Nazi Germany, etc) but in this world won it. That central nation should be OTL but the other nations can be OTL or fictional. No limitation on when this should be set - if you want to choose a nation which lost a war 1000 years ago, go ahead...

Submissions Close a week after this post: 1700 GMT, Monday 24th July 2023
Edit (28th July): extended by a week to Monday 31st July

Please remember to review the contest rules, especially concerning flag size: for an image in a single-flag entry, the shortest side must be 600 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 1200 pixels or less.

Last edited: