Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

more interessting italain.png
Here is a more interesting design for a monarchist Italy, which avoids the boring tricolour
View attachment 392162
Edit: made the flag the correct side for the competition.:eek:

Last edited:
After barely surviving the devastating nuclear conflagration of WW3 caused by the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, it would be the remainder of the French military that would find Charles Marie Jérôme Victor Napoléon alive in Switzerland. To bring stability to France, the military and surviving politicians officially placed Charles, Prince Napoléon upon the throne. Initially as a figurehead only, Charles slowly accrued power due to his keen sense of economic factors and his dealing with the problems of the common man. Officially the Third French Empire was declared in 1992 after the French navy conquered the rising Union of Sardinia & Sicily. In 2010 Jerome-Christophe, Prince Napoléon became emperor after his father died of cancer due to years of slow exposure to persistent fallout from WW3.

The French Third Empire flag still possesses the tri-color of the French Republic, but six fleur-de-lis are centered in the flag representing the survival of L'hexagone (Metropolitan France) and the return of the monarchy after World War Three.

L'hexagon.png

Flag of the State of Utah

The flag of Utah represents the prophesied land of milk and honey, symbolically linking the Moronite Exodus from Iowa with the Biblical Israelite Exodus from Egypt.

Flag of the State of Utah (small).png

Here's what popped into my head when I read this challenge. As far as I can find from internet searches, there is no actual IBA - if someone knows otherwise, please consider this a re-design (and let me know!).
WFC190_Hexes_IntlBeekeepersAssoc_FG.png

Image(s) created by FriendlyGhost using paint.net. Free for use on this site (alternatehistory.com) as long as you credit me (@ my username is fine). Use on other sites is also permitted as long as you PM me here to let me know.
Font credit: font used is Honeycomb font, from https://befonts.com/honeycomb-font.html

Last edited:
The Judea First Division was founded, as the 1st Jewish Regiment by a decree from Sultan Murad V of the Ottoman Empire in 1897, who reigned (TTL) from 1876 to 1904.

Just one year after its creation, it fought against numerically superior Italian troops in Tripoli, Libya, and preserved the city for the Ottoman Sultan. It was said that the gallantry and loyalty displayed by Jewish soldiers in Libya persuaded the Sultan to approve the setup of more Jewish Autonomous Cities in Levant, laying the foundation for the Federation of Judea. In the same time, it was thought that the Sultan's strict orders forbidding Europeans Jews from purchasing farmlands saved the Jewish Cities from potential conflict with native Arabs.

During the Anglo-Turkish War of 1909-1912, the now division-sized Jewish force fought a bloody battle against Anglo-Egyptian attacking forces in Hebron, as a part of the larger Ottoman defense under the command of the French adviser Joseph Joffre. They even, under the gates of Jerusalem, routed the famous Egyptian Foreign Legion (composed mostly of British veterans and fugitives), conceived and lead by a 77-year-old Charles George Gordon, capturing the old man, sending him to Constantinople. But the Britons finally succeeded in outflanking and encircling the Ottoman Second Army, the Jewish Division included, and imposing a humiliating peace on the Ottomans.

The Jewish Division, ordered to surrender despite having not lost a battle, was surprised to find themselves being incorporated into the Army of the newly created Kingdom of Levant, a British client state, as per the peace treaty. The British decided to have an elective monarchy with its throne changing hands every five years among the Shiites, the Sunnis (Lebanese and Palestinians), the Alawites, the Maronites, the Druze, and the Jews, with the Alawites and Jews holding military power. The Federation of Judea was a federal subject within the Kingdom. The PM, Speaker of the parliament, Army CoC were also required to have have different sectarian background, an intricate and almost impossible-to-function system. In effect, nobody within its designated boundary wanted to have one country, but several ones separated by ethnicity, though OTL racial conflicts were avoided.

Europeans and Ottoman Jews continued to flock to this country, many of them found themselves landless and unemployed, with no choice but to join the Army.

Having overthrown a SPD-KPD government in a putsch, the "Stahlhelm" Junta found themselves increasingly infiltrated by a far-right fascist groups with runes as their emblem, and soon persecution of Jews began. Although initially the outside world cared little about its impacts, stories and rumors by those who escaped turned Levantine public opinion against Germany.

Then the the Second Great War began.

After it became clear that Menstein's Afrikakorp could no longer threaten Jerusalem and take the Holocaust there, Judea started to seek to bring the war to the Germans, first in Tunis, in 1943, then in Eastern Europe. After an agreement with the Soviet government, Judea dispatched this division to Poland, and operated under Berling's Polish First Army. The Division took part in the conquest of Warsaw,as well as liberation of the Auschwitz camp, where they freed their fellow Jews from Nazi imprisonment.

In a final push, a Jewish soldier raised their regimental standard in Berlin, after the defeated of fascism.

As an armed force created in the late 19th century, the Military Colours of the Jewish First Division seemed quite mainstream for the time.

Picture1.png

Initially, the regimental standard of a Jewish Regiment was just a star of David on a blue field with six white rays. Six chevrons were added after the founding of the Federation to create six smaller hexagons, representing six working days, and a large hexagon, symbolizing territorial integrity of Levant, as well as the seventh day. Jews were only able to defend their religion and keep the seventh day holy with the selfless service of its defenders(Chevrons).

Battle honours were written in the flag: Tripoli 1898, Hebron and Jerusalem 1910, Tunis 1943, Warsaw 1944, Auschwitz 1944, Berlin 1945. Battles fought within Levant were written within the hexagon, and battles abroad were outside. A Lion of Judah sat on top of the staff.

Yellow streamer symbolized Medal of Valour the regiment gained as a unit, it came from the yellow ribbon attached to the medal, a reference to the yellow star that Jews were forced to wear during the Holocaust, as a proud symbol of defiance against their German enemy.

Last edited:
Erythrene Hegemone

Erythre, aka the Erythrene Hegemone, is a polyethnic polity spanning the Erythrene Gulf [1] and practises the Hellenic Orthodox creed of Jechovaism [2].
The dominant flag features a tricolour of red and blue representing the gulf and lands either side. In the centre it bears a golden Shield of Shalomun as the Hegemons [3] claim descent from Benjamin I of Sheba son of Shalomun of Israel and Miriam of Sheba.

Erythre.png

[1] The Red Sea
[2] TTL term for a more diverse Judaism in the absence of Christianity and Islam
[3] TTL term for Emperor

Is there an established convention on voting for oneself?
Probably the same as in politics.
People will assume you're voting for yourself unless you raise how much better someone else's is.
It probably happens 1 in 8-10 challenges for me though I don't always mention it.

Further to my last, although I enjoyed making mine for this round, as a bit of fun, I particularly liked the entry by @Green Painting - just pipping the one by @Sovereign12, so that's how I've voted. As of 20 votes cast, it's still all to play for though, with three entries out in front (not including mine, which I must admit isn't really a surprise :rolleyes:).

Flag Challenge 191: Too Provincial

Design or re-design TWO(2) flags for TWO(2) OTL or ATL PROVINCES of an OTL or ATL sovereign state.

Provinces, or states, pradeshes, oblasts, prefectures, governorates, cantons, circuits, departments, or any other top level administrative subdivisions of a sovereign state.

You can choose to provide a text description for the country and/or the two provinces, but only

1) Name of the country,

2) Names of the two provinces,

3) Two flags

are mandatory.

Submission Period: June 28th - July 5th 2018

Voting Period: July 6th 2018 - July 13th 2018