Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Flag Challenge 192: Flower Flaps

redesign the flag of a real-life country or sub-national entity to incorporate its floral emblem. Entities without an official floral emblem or with a flag that already contains it can use, if applicable, a flower present in their coat of arms or one with historical significance.

Submission Period: 14 July 2018 - 21 July 2018

Voting Period: 22 July 2018 - 29 July 2018

I am chuffed I ended up in the second spot, though still far behind the winner. Wasn't expecting that at all. I'd like to thank everyone for the votes.

Good luck with the new round, it's an interesting idea.

Flag Challenge 192: Flower Flaps

redesign the flag of a real-life country or sub-national entity to incorporate its floral emblem. Entities without an official floral emblem or with a flag that already contains it can use, if applicable, a flower present in their coat of arms or one with historical significance.

Submission Period: 14 July 2018 - 21 July 2018

Voting Period: 22 July 2018 - 29 July 2018
Just to confirm - only OTL countries, not ATL versions?

The English Rose (or let's keep this simple redux)

TheEnglishCross.png

England, with a flower. Flag not often used due to lack of English nationalism and due to lack of solely English government buildings for it to fly from. The yellow and green come from the Plantagenet rose itself. And represented the sun-kissed land of England and the fields of rapeseed and wheat often found in her countryside, with the green representing the verdant greenery and grass and forests of England herself without the agricultural implication of wheat etc.

(yes, I'm being boring and simplistic again because like before this idea just came to me and I had to do it to get some practice.)

Last edited:
Is that good enough? Like a flag for England still but not really used outside of sport or private citizens.
Well, I'd argue that the flag began as an association of northern English counties and cities, perhaps through sport or an extension of devolution. This would explain it being a modification of the St George Flag - probably starting as Cross & Rose.
The gold and green being added as further differentiation for some reason or other.

Well, I'd argue that the flag began as an association of northern English counties and cities, perhaps through sport or an extension of devolution. This would explain it being a modification of the St George Flag - probably starting as Cross & Rose.
The gold and green being added as further differentiation for some reason or other.

That feels like going too far from "real life entities" though.

When @Marc Pasquin responds (when he can obviously), I might go with that but I'd prefer to keep it as close to the spirit of the challenge as possible.