Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Thanks! Btw, I have to once thank you for being the most frequent collaborator to this work TvTropes page! And, to be clear, Stuart watched as Brown was executed but was not the executioner.
My pleasure! I discovered this story through TV Tropes, so it was a given that I could help in there. I'll update the thing with Stuart.
Btw, since TvTropes was mentioned... are there any YMMV tropes you think apply to this work? I'd be interested in reading any examples you might think of!
The problem with YMMV tropes is that, as indicated, it's about things Your Mileage May Vary on. Some tropes that could apply:
- Anticlimax Boss: The last fight with Jackson was a clear sign of this.
- Catharsis Factor: Let's be honest, we all enjoyed seeing the Confederacy getting kicked.
- Complete Monster: The usual suspects (everyone under "The Butcher").
- Memetic Badass: Lincoln

Dunno. I don't tend to have everything down to the last detail so... tried to settle in Britain or something? Suddenly an amusing idea of them not even knowing about the Coup has come to mind. They'd be all like... What do you mean Breckinridge's been executed!? L
Leading to another Hogan's Heroes scene idea which would be Poetic Justice. There was an episode where a guy was trying to negotiate England's surrender. The bumbling colonel Crittenden looked a lot like him so he was sent to impersonate the guy and as per Hogan's plan bungled everything so that a German invasion fleet was sunk.

The traitor gets out of the tunnel system, which he warned about once but Hogan and his man got him back down there, and says "Good news, I've escaped again!" Upon which major hostetter, the Gestapo guy who always screams "what is this man doing here," quickly says to the traitor, "you are under arrest for treason, take him away."

That would be so beautiful to see one of those pirates say they have achieved a great victory for president Breckenridge and start to praise him, right before one of the junta has him shot.

It was proposed by some Radicals IOTL since they, too, recognized that the EC only helped the South, allowed them to act as a bloc, and it was thought that Republicans would be the most likely to carry the national vote (and, with no repression, they were thanks to the Black vote). I did have such an amendment in mind plus others. I'm not too sure about the one that turns the Cabinet into a House organ. Some limitations of the President's power are likely, but that's probably too far.
The one drawback is that the weaker the presidency, the less important it will seem to abolish the Electoral College because it would be said,"all it does is elect a president, Congress holds the real power." And I imagine there might be a limiting of the president's power after a while. Although not until a good deal into reconstruction.

Short of a Second Constitutional Convention, I simply cannot see the states agreeing to the passage of what would have to be a plethora of constitutional amendments designed to transform the United States government into a parliamentary system. It would constitute an absolutely unacceptable transfer of power from the states to the federal government. NOT going to happen.

Not just refusing the loss of the EC (a BIG time political concession to the population poor states, like the US Senate), but items like Parliamentary Votes of No Confidence, Cabinet Revolts, loss of cyclical elections, and the breakdown of the Separation of Powers are ALL matters that Americans would find (even in the 19th century) MOST politically indigestible. And at all levels OF government: Federal, State, County, and Municipal.

I just realized. It's a super long shot, but the land that was taken from the Cherokee, Muscogee, Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw during the Trail of Tears all lies within the confines of the former Confederacy... It may be possible for the tribes to reclaim land west of the Appalachians if they are deemed more loyal than the people who took it from them! Even if it's not formal, maybe individual members of the tribes might try and make claims via the Bureaus.

As I said, extreme long shot, but I can dream.

I just realized. It's a super long shot, but the land that was taken from the Cherokee, Muscogee, Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw during the Trail of Tears all lies within the confines of the former Confederacy... It may be possible for the tribes to reclaim land west of the Appalachians if they are deemed more loyal than the people who took it from them! Even if it's not formal, maybe individual members of the tribes might try and make claims via the Bureaus.

Sneaky little idea

Many people within these groups were Slaveholders and outright sided with the Confedracy so yeah, I doubt it.

None of those tribes will get their land back.

No one in the Federal Government is going to take productive land off Confederates and give it to the first nations. I suppose it's possible that an unusually high proportion of it is given to freed people on the basis that it hasn't been truly developed yet so give it to the new group of landowners etc.

But I can't stress enough that strengthened abolitionism in no way leads to respect for indigenous peoples- I point you to the devout abolitionist stronghold of Canada, whose contempt for US slavery in no way prevented their own genocidal campaigns.

Coupled with the fact that all the powers that be are great believers in the importance of property rights- which is why the slavers dressed up so much of their defence in those terms- and there will be absolutely zero impetus for anyone in the Union to hand the property of white people over to a group that has no constituency in congress. People believed that the tribes were going extinct, and they believed this was a good thing.

I imagine a massive deciding factor for the fate of the Confederacy-aligned Native American tribes would probably be how the tribal leadership in the Indian Territory reacted to the Confederacy's coup. If they cut their losses, things would certainly go more smoothly with the federal government. If they stick it out to the end though, then it's probably going to get an extra ugly kind of ugly.

I don't think Sickles was ever featured prominently here, which is a shame since he was an amusing character.

Btw, see what I learned today. One of Breckinridge’s descendants, his great-grandchild, was a drag queen known as Bunny Breckinridge who appeared in Planet 9 from Outer Space, the infamously so bad it's good movie of Ed Woods.

Bunny_Breckinridge_%28cropped%29.png
I love how history works this way!! And did Sickles pioneer the temporary insanity plea ITL?

None of those tribes will get their land back.

No one in the Federal Government is going to take productive land off Confederates and give it to the first nations. I suppose it's possible that an unusually high proportion of it is given to freed people on the basis that it hasn't been truly developed yet so give it to the new group of landowners etc.

But I can't stress enough that strengthened abolitionism in no way leads to respect for indigenous peoples- I point you to the devout abolitionist stronghold of Canada, whose contempt for US slavery in no way prevented their own genocidal campaigns.

Coupled with the fact that all the powers that be are great believers in the importance of property rights- which is why the slavers dressed up so much of their defence in those terms- and there will be absolutely zero impetus for anyone in the Union to hand the property of white people over to a group that has no constituency in congress. People believed that the tribes were going extinct, and they believed this was a good thing.
Many people within these groups were Slaveholders and outright sided with the Confedracy so yeah, I doubt it.
Oh I know, but as I said, I can dream.

On the other hand, it would give away more land from the Traitors, and help ensure the Tribes are, at the very least, invested in keeping them down...