Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

I do like the human look into an enslaved man and both why he's personally motivated to rebel in the ways he can but also the reasons he has to keep his head down. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who look back on slavery and invent reasons for why they didn't rebel more ("they were cowards", "they were happy", etc etc depending on that person's political motives and the severity of their stupidity), and I do think people miss just how easy of a manipulative leverage the planters had with punishing the family or others for the actions of the more rebellious, both as a way to shame the rebellious and to instill fear in others to make them report dissent earlier. Thomas is a perfect example, if it were up to him, he'd go down fighting, but too many people that he cares for would suffer and they might not win, so he has to keep his temper and be patient.

Overall, a well-done look into the mind of a person who lives in this era on this side of the often abstract side of history.

Beyond that, I like both the acknowledgement of still-existing prejudice and also the burgeoning seeds of the narrative that poor whites ITTL are going to eventually embrace: "we both know what it means to have a planter take your child" is going to be a very common sentiment that the Union will need to really try to build upon in the Reconstruction, blaming as much of the suffering of the common whites on the decadence and hypocrisy of the planter class as possible. Most Southern Whites won't love the Union for a generation or two, but they can be made to hate the planters more than the Union or the freedmen, and that's the best we can hope for.

I do have to ask, since this is Georgia, how extensive is the level of dissidence and Union collaboration in the various states of the Confederacy? Obviously, we know about certain states like Kentucky and Tennessee, but far behind the lines of battle, to waht extent are they growing? I'm also trying to remember if you have talked about the Texas Unionists, especially a lot of German immigrants, who were massacred in OTL and if they have suffered a similar fate or have survived long enough/to a greater extent to be an issue for the CSA?

Would the war lead to a downplaying of the contributions of the southern Founding Fathers? Perhaps a revival of interest in the likes of John Adams and Alexander Hamilton a century early? Or will the refrain still be "for god's sake John sit down."

Well-written as usual for you. I really liked the emotional and practical reasoning behind this limited but critical form of rebellion, and the way that a kind of popular mythology is forming as Lincoln's commitment to freeing the enslaved lights a fire of hope in the hearts of the oppressed. It's really neat stuff! I hope that Thomas and Sarah survive and escape to freedom!

I did notice a couple of tense switches--"is" instead of "was", "knows" instead of "knew" for example.

Can't wait to see this war officially come to an end, and usher in a different Reconstruction! And also, yeah Atlanta's gonna go up like a bonfire I suspect.

I do like the human look into an enslaved man and both why he's personally motivated to rebel in the ways he can but also the reasons he has to keep his head down. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who look back on slavery and invent reasons for why they didn't rebel more ("they were cowards", "they were happy", etc etc depending on that person's political motives and the severity of their stupidity), and I do think people miss just how easy of a manipulative leverage the planters had with punishing the family or others for the actions of the more rebellious, both as a way to shame the rebellious and to instill fear in others to make them report dissent earlier. Thomas is a perfect example, if it were up to him, he'd go down fighting, but too many people that he cares for would suffer and they might not win, so he has to keep his temper and be patient.

Overall, a well-done look into the mind of a person who lives in this era on this side of the often abstract side of history.

Beyond that, I like both the acknowledgement of still-existing prejudice and also the burgeoning seeds of the narrative that poor whites ITTL are going to eventually embrace: "we both know what it means to have a planter take your child" is going to be a very common sentiment that the Union will need to really try to build upon in the Reconstruction, blaming as much of the suffering of the common whites on the decadence and hypocrisy of the planter class as possible. Most Southern Whites won't love the Union for a generation or two, but they can be made to hate the planters more than the Union or the freedmen, and that's the best we can hope for.

I do have to ask, since this is Georgia, how extensive is the level of dissidence and Union collaboration in the various states of the Confederacy? Obviously, we know about certain states like Kentucky and Tennessee, but far behind the lines of battle, to waht extent are they growing? I'm also trying to remember if you have talked about the Texas Unionists, especially a lot of German immigrants, who were massacred in OTL and if they have suffered a similar fate or have survived long enough/to a greater extent to be an issue for the CSA?
I'm glad you liked this story! I believe it's very important to acknowledge that the Civil War is not merely the epic of great generals and politicians battling it out. Like all of human history, the era was made by the little people living their lives. The enslaved are, sadly, a group that's often forgotten in the narratives of the war. I've tried my best to include somewhat the human factor in the regular updates, but I believe these little side-stories are better ways to flesh out the world.

Unionism and resistance to the Confederacy is found almost entirely in the mountainous upstate areas. Western North Carolina, Northern Alabama, the Northern hills of Georgia, are all areas of Unionist activity and resistance. East Tennessee and West Virginia also fit, but both have been liberated already. In general, these sentiments are usually not true Unionism, but mere defiance towards the Confederate central government and its attempts to force the people to give up their lives and property for the sake of slaveholders. It is steadily growing, and even though the Confederacy retains enough force to keep the situation largely under control, it is troubling that they have to keep troops and arms to suppress dissent when they would be better used at the front. I'll expand upon this soon.

Hang in there Thomas and Sarah, the Union is inching ever closer to victory.
Just a little more!

Really good update. As was said, them both knowing what it was like we'll have a great impact.
Indeed. Thanks for reading.

Would the war lead to a downplaying of the contributions of the southern Founding Fathers? Perhaps a revival of interest in the likes of John Adams and Alexander Hamilton a century early? Or will the refrain still be "for god's sake John sit down."
I have a soft spot for Adams. Maybe due to the cultural change the non-slaveholder Founding Fathers will be held in greater stem.

Well-written as usual for you. I really liked the emotional and practical reasoning behind this limited but critical form of rebellion, and the way that a kind of popular mythology is forming as Lincoln's commitment to freeing the enslaved lights a fire of hope in the hearts of the oppressed. It's really neat stuff! I hope that Thomas and Sarah survive and escape to freedom!

I did notice a couple of tense switches--"is" instead of "was", "knows" instead of "knew" for example.
Thanks!

I'm not sure why, but when writing like this I tend to struggle a lot to keep my tenses consistent. My English is otherwise good enough, but I mix the tenses up badly. It isn't as if Spanish didn't have tenses...

A great piece, the side stories with POVs of enslaves people are a great addition to this timeline.
I'm really glad to hear you say so!

Amazingly written, very powerful stuff
Knowing that I've touched my readers' feelings, at least a little, is great. Thank you.

Can't wait to see this war officially come to an end, and usher in a different Reconstruction! And also, yeah Atlanta's gonna go up like a bonfire I suspect.
OTL is going to be tame in comparision.

I have a soft spot for Adams. Maybe due to the cultural change the non-slaveholder Founding Fathers will be held in greater stem.
I know Washington did upon his death but did any of the other slave owning Founding Fathers free their slaves upon death or before they died? Because I can easily see the Reconstruction era US pushing them to the forefront of history for the South.

I know Washington did upon his death but did any of the other slave owning Founding Fathers free their slaves upon death or before they died? Because I can easily see the Reconstruction era US pushing them to the forefront of history for the South.
They could paint Jefferson as the "almost abolitionist" so to speak.
The accuracy is irrelevant to an effective reframing of national mythos. It has a solid enough basis in reality.
I don't think Southern Founding Fathers will be forgotten or erased. More likely, "refraimed"

They could paint Jefferson as the "almost abolitionist" so to speak.
The accuracy is irrelevant to an effective reframing of national mythos. It has a solid enough basis in reality.
I don't think Southern Founding Fathers will be forgotten or erased. More likely, "refraimed"
You know I just realized how divisive Jefferson is going to end up compared to OTL. You'll likely have the "almost and abolitionist" era in reconstruction. The push for the Sally Hemmings affair to be viewed as positive when interracial marriage starts getting pushed. Of course you then have as me too comes into vouge you have people start realize that no the affair was Jefferson using his control over her to basically rape her.

Edit: Clarifying what I meant when I said woman's rights.

Last edited:
I'm glad you liked this story! I believe it's very important to acknowledge that the Civil War is not merely the epic of great generals and politicians battling it out. Like all of human history, the era was made by the little people living their lives. The enslaved are, sadly, a group that's often forgotten in the narratives of the war. I've tried my best to include somewhat the human factor in the regular updates, but I believe these little side-stories are better ways to flesh out the world.

Unionism and resistance to the Confederacy is found almost entirely in the mountainous upstate areas. Western North Carolina, Northern Alabama, the Northern hills of Georgia, are all areas of Unionist activity and resistance. East Tennessee and West Virginia also fit, but both have been liberated already. In general, these sentiments are usually not true Unionism, but mere defiance towards the Confederate central government and its attempts to force the people to give up their lives and property for the sake of slaveholders. It is steadily growing, and even though the Confederacy retains enough force to keep the situation largely under control, it is troubling that they have to keep troops and arms to suppress dissent when they would be better used at the front. I'll expand upon this soon.

Just a little more!

Indeed. Thanks for reading.

I do too, honestly. Adams could be a crumudgeon, but he comes off as such an honest and decent guy - even if I strongly disagree with his decisions over the Alien-Sedition Act. And I consider JQA to be one of my personal heroes (an odd choice, to be fair, but I like him and see more than a bit of myself in him at times.) I think I've asked this before, but what is Charles F. Adams up to? I doubt we'll see him as President here - though I've always wanted to see a timeline where all three Adams get at least one term as President - but it would be interesting to see him being a bit more prominent. In OTL his post-Civil War career was hurt by his feud with Steward and despite he and his family's good abolitionist cred, he grew weary of Reconstrution relatively early and migrated to the Liberal Republic camp as a result of that as well as the corruption of the post-war GOP. Of course, with a more brutal Civil War, there's every chance that his attitudes won't develop in the same direction in the ATL. It could even be that he ends up joining the Democratic successor party and has more success there (in OTL the Dems ran him as their candidate for governor in MA.)

The push for the Sally Hemmings affair to be viewed as positive when interracial marriage starts getting pushed.
One of the studios in whatever equivalent they have to Hollywood would absolutely latch onto the story and spin it as some sort of grand epic of forbidden love, probably starring brand name actors and actresses and carrying with it a level of controversy in the modern day comparable to Gone With the Wind. I'm willing to bet you'll also get the added complication that it's genuinely a well-written, well-acted, and well-directed movie, and innovative for its time.

One of the studios in whatever equivalent they have to Hollywood would absolutely latch onto the story and spin it as some sort of grand epic of forbidden love, probably starring brand name actors and actresses and carrying with it a level of controversy in the modern day comparable to Gone With the Wind. I'm willing to bet you'll also get the added complication that it's genuinely a well-written, well-acted, and well-directed movie, and innovative for its time.
Not just innovative but it has the first ever on screen showing of an interracial kiss after Jefferson finally admits his love for Hemmings. I can see exactly how the arguments over the movie play out even.

Not just innovative but it has the first ever on screen showing of an interracial kiss after Jefferson finally admits his love for Hemmings. I can see exactly how the arguments over the movie play out even.
And given Hemmings age even in a bowdlerized production it would probably be a career-making film for a black actress who ends up as one of the grande dames of Hollywood, on a similar level to Joan Crawford or Katherine Hepburn or Hedy Lamarr.

I watched a Colombian Telenovela on Netflix called Esclava Blanca. It’s….surprisingly good in that the black people have agency and are the ones leading the fight for their own freedom, but it also dives into what it means to truly be a white ally.

Even most of the good white characters have some degree of bigotry they need to be challenged on and grow out of, and it shows that even “good” slave owners are part of the problem. (The heroine’s biological father was a white slave owner. One of his slaves Tomas gets the money to buy his freedom. The Slaveowner is willing to let Tomas buy his freedom but is visibly hesitant when Tomas wants to buy freedom for his wife and daughter, because it’s inconvenient.)

It was popular in Columbia but also controversial (some felt it was whitewashing, others didn’t like that it goes into how evil slavery was).

Esclava Blanca

I remember that show was on Telemundo sometimes.Little me preferred La Pola however.

was there a guy who kept upping the price on a slave for her father or was that smother thing?

You know I just realized how divisive Jefferson is going to end up compared to OTL. You'll likely have the "almost and abolitionist" era in reconstruction. The push for the Sally Hemmings affair to be viewed as positive when interracial marriage starts getting pushed. Of course you then have as woman's rights in general come into vouge you have people start realize that no the affair was Jefferson using his control over her to basically rape her.
I'm not so sure that Jefferson would be seen as overpowering Sally Hemmings, except by a few. It took me a couple decades in church hearing about the story of David and Bathsheba before I remember hearing any man mention that David's position of authority could have been something that caused Bathsheba to feel pressured to have sex with him. And mine is a church that is very respectful of women and their rights to say no to men and to be listened to on important matters. The overpowering by a male because of authority just seems like more of a thing that lots of men sadly ignore.

On the other hand, maybe it would be brought up in Jefferson's case. What I do hear in messages about David and Bathsheba is how David's whole family totally went to pot after his affair. Yes, he was forgiven, but it showed that even a man after God's Own Heart can have a very, very Insidious nature and sink into horrible stuff when he does not control his desires.

So, perhaps that would be the story with jefferson. Perhaps Jefferson would be seen as a man who could have been an abolitionist, who could have done such great things, but because of his tragic flaw, he allowed himself to support slavery more and more because he would not acknowledge his sin against Sally Hemmings and admit that what he had done was awful.

Perhaps the movie that is made in this timeline's Hollywood would show Jefferson as a tragic hero akin to Macbeth. One who did wonderful things as a founding father but who continue to struggle the rest of his life after that affair. (I can see it now, a young Orson Welles with his booming voice as a preacher in one of his first roles in the movie, the American version of how Nathan goes up to King David and speaks a parable to him about a man with thousands of sheep who stole one lamb from someone else, and after David's angry reaction boldly proclaims "you are the man!")

Last edited: