Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

On the expansions, I thought they helped to elaborate why the civilian death toll would be higher in the South and improved the story of Maryland's Reconstruction. The latter was good to begin with, but the additional details foreshadow how Reconstruction will go in the future. Despite the Month of Blood, pro-Confederate and white supremacist guerrillas are still active even if weakened. In turn, the contribution of the Union Leagues for the very narrow victory in Maryland shows their importance in suppressing white supremacist forces and why the Lincoln administration wouldn't take any hard measure against them. There are bound to be repercussions and controversies surrounding the referendum and the intimidation campaign, but I could see contemporary Republicans and newspapers arguing the necessity of preventing "a second Kansas" by these pro-Confederate Marylanders.

On the former, the expulsion of secesh civilians, the impressment policy and constant disruption to commerce and agriculture set up the conditions for famine and disease outbreak. IOTL, several Tennessee counties east of the Cumberland Plateau were on the brink of starvation after guerrillas plundered the area and the Atlanta Campaign resulted in a famine in Northern Georgia due to Sherman's foraging and Hood's scorched earth policy later in September destroying the local agriculture. Thomas was shocked when he received an estimate from Col. Edward F. Winslow that at least 800 bushels of corn and 30,000 pounds of meat every day to feed the "starving poor" while only 45,000 pounds of meat and 10,000 pounds of flour could be shipped per week in 1865. This was despite the fact that 150,000 refugees, freedmen and Confederate deserters and POWs had been shipped to Tennessee. With the countryside more devastated and a greater number of refugees, that's a recipe for disaster.

Looking forward to the expansions on the Trans-Mississippi Theater!

I didn't bother watching that video comment was a bit too long. But I think Tom Scott does a very good, short visit to a Swiss shooting range. It really shows what Well regulated means there and can in the South TTL. The North can just counter the arguments of whites post Civil War by saying that if they really want to prevent tyranny then they must allow the Freedmen to have guns and be part of the well regulated militia the 2nd Amendment talks about.

Swiss here. Just saying, the Swiss Army is a militia. We can keep our personal weapons pistol or rifle, at home. Nothkng wrong with using that system in the South after the war for loyal folks.

Here's the chapter 41 expansion. It includes more detail on what Thomas did after the Battles of Lexington and White Lily, and expands on the situation in Arkansas and the Trans-Mississippi.

In chapter 34, expanding on the liberation of East Tennessee
Finally, on February 17th, Bragg returned to Tennessee, all his officers bickering and throwing the blame for the failure around. Unfortunately for them, this took them into the very heart of Unionism in the state, to the midst of a population that resented the Confederacy and cheered the recent Federal triumph. The oppression of the pro-Union population by the Confederate authorities had been swift and ruthless, the Breckinridge regime, either by action or inaction, allowing soldiers and guerrillas to freely terrorize those who resisted the government. But harsh methods were rather unsuccessful, and incidents of bridge burning, sabotage and even murder continued. "The whole country is now in a state of rebellion", a Confederate colonel reported, while a member of Bragg's staff said in despair that East Tennessee was "more difficult to operate in than the country of an acknowledged enemy." Historian Bruce Levine estimates that the East Tennessee dissidents forced Richmond to keep four to five thousand men in the area just to prevent open insurrection.

These were the temperament and loyalty of the people of East Tennessee when Bragg's battered army arrived following its shellacking at Lexington and White Lilly around March. The Unionist population of Knoxville received the weary Confederates with hisses and glares, and when Bragg called on them to give his men food and rest no one came forward. Worse than mere rudeness, there were reports that several Unionists planned an insurrection to deliver the city to Thomas' pursuing bluejackets. An irate Bragg, true to character, reacted by requisitioning goods from the struggling civilians and cracking down on all suspected Unionism, actions that could hardly have won the hearts and minds of the city's population. When in just a few days news came of Thomas' imminent arrival, Bragg ordered everything of military value torched and fled to Chattanooga.

On April, Union forces entered the city, the dashing bluejackets putting down the fires and offering food and blankets, and, more importantly, deliverance from rebel rule. Colonel Foster reported from Knoxville that “Men, women, and children rushed to the streets". The women “shouting, ‘Glory! Glory!’ ‘The Lord be praised!’ ‘Our Savior’s come!’", the men "huzzahed and yelled like madmen, and in their profusion of greetings I was almost pulled from my horse", and throughout the city "the streets resounded with yells, and cheers for the ‘Union’ and ‘Lincoln.’" General Joseph J. Reynolds was amazed when a group of Unionists, hidden in the mountains from the rebel authorities, saw his forces and “joined our column, expressing the greatest delight at our coming, and at beholding again what they emphatically called ‘our flag.’"

By the end of the month, Chattanooga was also in peril of falling into Yankee hands. Union cavalry units had raided behind Bragg's position, threatening to cut him off from his lifeline to Atlanta, and the in-fighting had gotten even worse. Confessing the campaign "a great disaster", Bragg nonetheless focused more on his struggle against his commanders. Rumors of his imminent removal circulated freely, and in Richmond only the influence of Secretary of War Davis managed to convince Breckinridge to keep Bragg for the moment, if only just until a suitable replacement had been found. The President hoped that Bragg could hold onto Chattanooga until the new commander arrived, but a panicky Bragg decided to evacuate the city. "What does he fight battles for?", questioned a furious Forrest, while a Confederate official asked in despair "When will the calamities end!"

Expanding on the Arkansas situation on Chapter 41
The failures in Georgia and South Carolina exasperated Lincoln, but the President could at least take some solace in the successes found in Arkansas. That state had been basically left undefended after most of its troops had been transferred towards the east to resist Grant's campaigns against Corinth and then Vicksburg. The situation was so critical that the governor threatened to secede. Arkansas was, the governor declared, "lost, abandoned, subjugated . . . not Arkansas as she entered the confederate government." If help wasn't fore-coming, Arkansas wouldn't remain in the Confederacy waiting until it was "desolated as a wilderness". The governor was not exaggerating, for the route to Little Rock was practically open, Samuel R. Curtis' small force advancing to the capital. Only guerrilla combat, that saw the use of Native American troops by both sides, slowed the Union in its march.

To prevent the fall of another Confederate state capital, Breckenridge appointed the diminutive Thomas C. Hindman, a "dynamo only five feet tall". To aid Hindman, Breckinridge suspended the writ of habeas corpus and allowed him to declare martial law, in order to enforce the draft and thus scrape together an Army. Although the morale and readiness of the resulting force was suspect, and the methods employed aroused "howls of protest", Hindman did succeed in getting together more than 20,000 men. Hindman managed to stop Curtis' campaign for the time being in December 1862, though his force was then turned away by the abolitionist Kansan James G. Blunt at the Missouri border. That Hindman had not accomplished more concrete results led to Secretary of War Jefferson Davis recommending his replacement, pointing to his old friend Theophilus Holmes. Since the General did not impress Breckinridge with his performance at the Nine Days, Hindman remained in command.

The situation in Arkansas seemed to stabilize for the time being, until things started to unravel in the spring of 1863. The critical situation in Vicksburg made Breckinridge order Hindman to send reinforcements to A.S. Johnston, in the hopes of saving the citadel. If Vicksburg fell, Secretary Davis wired Hindman, the enemy "will be then free to concentrate his forces against your Dept.", and even if Hindman did "all that human power can effect, it is not to be expected that you could make either long or successful resistance." To fulfill Breckinridge's orders, Hindman once again acted ruthlessly, executing draft dodgers and forcibly pressing men into service, which created a motley crew of guerrillas, conscripts and militiamen. But when the force found that they would be marched out of Arkansas, they revolted, many declaring openly that they would never leave their state and many others deserting. The governor encouraged this resistance, defiantly telling Breckinridge that Arkansas' soldiers "do not enter the service to maintain the Southern Confederacy alone, but also to protect their property and defend their homes and families".

A brief attempt at enforcement through a declaration of martial law bore no results, and when Hindman finally forced a contingent out of the state the force just melted. The attempt to strongarm Arkansas had backfired enormously, with the soldiers fatally demoralized and all influential Confederates in both Arkansas and Missouri clamoring for Hindman's removal. One bitterly said that Breckinridge was someone "who stubbornly refuses to hear or regard the universal voice of the people.” With Arkansas at the brink of secession, Breckinridge had no choice but to remove Hindman and, at the end, only a few regiments ever joined Johnston's command - just in time, tragically enough, to end up trapped in Vicksburg, where they would surrender to Grant. When the new commander, Sterling Price, reached Little Rock, he found a demoralized and undisciplined Army.

Such an Army was of little use to its commanders, but Price, obsessed with the idea of liberating Missouri from Yankee rule and badly overestimating the strength of the department, decided to take a gamble. The failed attempt to retake Maryland with the help of rebel rioters in Baltimore inspired him to attempt to retake Missouri with the help of St. Louis Copperheads. Marching north with over 10,000 men and hoping that thousands more would flock to his banner, Price seemed to be under the belief that he was leading an occupation force instead of a brief raid. As his force slowly advanced, many guerrillas did indeed join his ranks. But the leisure pace allowed the local Union commander, John M. Schofield, to gather the dispersed militia and troops, and take measures against the seditious rumors that circulated in St. Louis. By the time Price's army reached St. Louis, the city was in a firm Union grip, and the awaited for insurrection didn't happen. It's dubious that it would have materialized anyway, since the ill-conceived expedition had probably misjudged the pro-Confederate sentiment. An attack against the forts only resulted in horrific losses, the fact that Black militia took part only adding insult to injury, and resulting in the battle being known as the "Fort Saratoga of the West". Price finally retreated, his army melting away as guerrillas vanished into the countryside and deserters left by the thousands. But this would not be the last Missouri had seen of him.

This defeat led the road to Little Rock open. Leading "a multiracial force of white, black, and Indian regiments", General Blunt encroached the capital and then captured it in September, 1863. As in Mississippi, this precipitated the collapse of slavery and civil authority, as guerrillas proliferated and Black people flocked to the centers of Yankee control by the thousands. Since Arkansas was still under rebel control when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, as the blue troops advanced they brought freedom to all the bondspeople they found. When masters fled, the enslaved quickly appropriated the lands for themselves, but even when the planters remained they found that their previous authority had evaporated. The enslaved were "completely demoralised—They are practically free—going, coming, and working when they please", despaired a master who had taken the loyalty oath in the hopes of keeping his human chattel. This did not work, as the arriving Bureaus forced him to sign contracts with the laborers. Sometimes, masters were instead violently forced out by the new freedmen, who asserted the abolition of slavery by seizing the plantations and everything in it for themselves, often with the tacit or express approval of the Union authorities.

With three quarters of the state now under Union control, a joyful Lincoln ordered his agents to start the Reconstruction of the state, appointing a military governor to rule over the occupied territories. Union control was often tenuous due to guerrilla activity, but the Confederates would never retake the state. A forlorn Breckinridge, for his part, appointed Kirby-Smith as commander of the Trans-Mississippi Department, informing him through Secretary Davis that he had "full authority . . . to administer to the wants of Your Dept., civil as well as military". The General now was "the head of a semi-independent fiefdom with quasi-dictatorial powers". In the estimation of James McPherson, "Kirby Smith rather than Breckinridge became commander in chief of the Trans-Mississippi theater. For the next two years “Kirby Smith’s Confederacy” fought its own war pretty much independently of what was happening elsewhere."

So, how do the Union and Confederate navies compare to their OTL counterparts in terms of development?
I must admit the question catches me somewhat unprepared, since I haven't thought of the navies since like ten updates ago. It's just that, I guess, there's not really much difference. Ironclads were developed and they managed to delay New Orleans' conquest for a few months, but the Union retains superiority in rivers and the sea. I do want to talk about the Hunley at some point, but I don't know where it could fit (maybe chapter 40? I could talk a little about Union navy supremacy to set up Grant's campaign and mention this submarine there). Aside from that I guess the main difference would be that Breckinridge phased the idea of privateers quicker than Davis and, anxious to get cotton out, has created a better organized, more government controlled system for blockade running and commerce raiding.

I believe you may want to look at the system that Switzerland uses in regards to gun ownership if you want some kind of template of where to go for that. Much more highly regulated and training required, as a result of military service. It could be applied here as part of the militia.
Yeah, something like that. Shortly after the war could result in only militiamen having arms in the South, but later in only people that have passed Federal controls and training having arms towards the modern day.

I didn't bother watching that video comment was a bit too long. But I think Tom Scott does a very good, short visit to a Swiss shooting range. It really shows what Well regulated means there and can in the South TTL. The North can just counter the arguments of whites post Civil War by saying that if they really want to prevent tyranny then they must allow the Freedmen to have guns and be part of the well regulated militia the 2nd Amendment talks about.
I think I'll check out that video, thank you.
Swiss here. Just saying, the Swiss Army is a militia. We can keep our personal weapons pistol or rifle, at home. Nothkng wrong with using that system in the South after the war for loyal folks.
Yeah, that sounds likely. The only "well-regulated militia" would be a loyal one, of course.

On the expansions, I thought they helped to elaborate why the civilian death toll would be higher in the South and improved the story of Maryland's Reconstruction. The latter was good to begin with, but the additional details foreshadow how Reconstruction will go in the future. Despite the Month of Blood, pro-Confederate and white supremacist guerrillas are still active even if weakened. In turn, the contribution of the Union Leagues for the very narrow victory in Maryland shows their importance in suppressing white supremacist forces and why the Lincoln administration wouldn't take any hard measure against them. There are bound to be repercussions and controversies surrounding the referendum and the intimidation campaign, but I could see contemporary Republicans and newspapers arguing the necessity of preventing "a second Kansas" by these pro-Confederate Marylanders.

On the former, the expulsion of secesh civilians, the impressment policy and constant disruption to commerce and agriculture set up the conditions for famine and disease outbreak. IOTL, several Tennessee counties east of the Cumberland Plateau were on the brink of starvation after guerrillas plundered the area and the Atlanta Campaign resulted in a famine in Northern Georgia due to Sherman's foraging and Hood's scorched earth policy later in September destroying the local agriculture. Thomas was shocked when he received an estimate from Col. Edward F. Winslow that at least 800 bushels of corn and 30,000 pounds of meat every day to feed the "starving poor" while only 45,000 pounds of meat and 10,000 pounds of flour could be shipped per week in 1865. This was despite the fact that 150,000 refugees, freedmen and Confederate deserters and POWs had been shipped to Tennessee. With the countryside more devastated and a greater number of refugees, that's a recipe for disaster.

Looking forward to the expansions on the Trans-Mississippi Theater!
That was fully my intent, to improve the story by more detail thanks to better sources. On Maryland, I actually found this in an older, outdated draft of that chapter, and had to slap my head when I realized that for some reason I didn't carry the campaign of intimidation into the final version when it makes for a stronger story and provides pay-off for all the earlier description of the Union Leagues and their actions.

The second one, I planned to include it on the next update, but it resulted in some pretty bad bloating. Situations such as this one will extend throughout the entire South, giving way to the famine that I've already discussed and thus to staggering human costs.

I'd like to hear your thought on this latest expansion too. It's more Arkansas than Trans-Mississippi, but it sets us up for future campaigns.

Last edited:
Just went back and realized we still have the attack on Lincoln and the generals to be resolved...
I am aware. As I explained already, I am already working on the next update that solves the cliffhanger. It's just that I realized it was becoming bloated and directionless because I was trying to cram too much into it. So I decided to make space by writing these expansion of the content of previous updates. I still think that there's some updates and topics that deserve an expansion too, but for now this is probably enough because it gets us up to snuff with the military situation and the West. Since the update will also deal with the situation there this was necessary to get out of the way first, and now I think I'll try to write the next update. But I earnestly ask all of you, don't rush me or ask where the next update is. I swear, if anyone does it again I'm killing Lincoln.

Jk, but seriously, please don't do that.

But when the force found that they would be marched out of Arkansas, they revolted, many declaring openly that they would never leave their state and many others deserting. The governor encouraged this resistance, defiantly telling Breckinridge that Arkansas' soldiers "do not enter the service to maintain the Southern Confederacy alone, but also to protect their property and defend their homes and families".
I think this is a pretty accurate take on what would have happened if Hindman had been left in command. The guy never apologized for his draconian policies and actually insisted after the war that the Confederacy could have won if they had been more willing to impose martial law and harsh punishment for insubordinate troops. There were several cases of mutiny that saw the ringleaders executed by firing squad. Something that might be worth adding is that Hindman was directly responsible for the guerrilla warfare in Arkansas. His General Order No 17 raised 5,000 irregulars "for the more effectual annoyance of the enemy upon our rivers and in our mountains and woods." The great irony is that after the capture of Little Rock, many of Hindman's partisan bands were more dangerous to Confederate civilians and soldiers than the actual Union army. The Confederate army, now in Southern Arkansas, found itself bushwhacked by these partisan bands looking for supplies to continue the guerrilla war against the Yankees.
just in time, tragically enough, to end up trapped in Vicksburg, where they would surrender to Grant
I had this image in my head of these reinforcements entering the port of Vicksburg just as Grant's army starts parading through the streets of Vicksburg and Porter's gunboats sail in to blow up the transport ships that brought them in.
When the new commander, Sterling Price, reached Little Rock, he found a demoralized and undisciplined Army.
Perhaps there should be an additional paragraph to tie in with Schofield's promotion in chapter 45. Price's offensive, mentioned in chapter 45, takes place during the summer of 1863. Perhaps after the Month of Blood, Price, who was IOTL convinced that there were "20,000 men in Saint Louis alone now armed and waiting to join me," feels that the time to liberate his beloved Missouri was now and that his success could inspire more Copperhead rebellions in the North. Sterling Price made a serious error in judgment. Mounting 10,000 men on the precious few mules and horses left in the Trans-Mississippi Theater, Price's army advanced at a leisurely pace, giving Schofield all the time he needed to gather the dispersed militia and troops for an army. Thousands of guerrillas and pro-Confederate recruits flocked to Price's banners for the march on St. Louis, which Price still believed was ready to rise up like Baltimore and New York. The following battle then gained the notoriety of "Fort Saratoga of the Trans-Mississippi" as Price's army immolated itself in its blaze of glory against the forts of St. Louis. With no popular uprising, dwindling supplies and horrific losses, Price's army limped back to Arkansas, losing hundreds of deserters and prisoners to Schofield's pursuit. This then leads to the Little Rock offensive.

With most of Arkansas secured, that does leave the Kirby-Smithdom down to just Texas and a small part of Arkansas and Louisiana. In theory, Union forces from Arkansas and Louisiana could link up by pushing to Shreveport for a future invasion of east Texas. But South Arkansas is a barren and undeveloped land, which would really hinder a march from Little Rock to Shreveport. IOTL, the Camden Expedition came close to becoming a catastrophe because the Union supply wagons were cut to pieces by guerrillas, almost starving the expedition until an last minute resupply gave them enough strength to complete the withdrawal to Little Rock. Furthermore, Shreveport is already a burnt husk, which would require rebuilding for a follow up invasion of North-East Texas. The Rio Grande and Sabine Rivers offer an excellent way of invasion for Rosecrans' expeditions. As for E.K. Smith, his strategy would probably be more defensive-minded, using his advantage of lines of interior to counter any possible multi-prong offensive.

There's also the possibility that the Union troops of the Trans-Mississippi Theater are deployed to the Eastern and Western Theater to replenish losses. A major reason why there were very long lulls in the Trans-Mississippi Theater was a lack of focus on the Union Army's end and great weakness on the rebel's end. For example, Grant's troops were actually intended to invade South Arkansas after the Vicksburg Campaign, but this was quickly aborted when they were needed to reinforce the Army of the Cumberland at Chattanooga. There were some proposals for a 2nd Red River Campaign but the XIX Corps, which made up the bulk of the Army of the Gulf, was instead sent to Virginia to reinforce Sheridan's Army of the Shenandoah.

As a side-note, there might be a need for a ret-con in chapter 34. After a re-read, I noticed that:
he had exiled Leonidas Polk to the trans-Mississippi for his mistake of invading Kentucky, thus, in Breckenridge’s mind, ceding his home state to the Union
but Polk remains in the Army of Tennessee.

I must admit the question catches me somewhat unprepared, since I haven't thought of the navies since like ten updates ago. It's just that, I guess, there's not really much difference. Ironclads were developed and they managed to delay New Orleans' conquest for a few months, but the Union retains superiority in rivers and the sea. I do want to talk about the Hunley at some point, but I don't know where it could fit (maybe chapter 40? I could talk a little about Union navy supremacy to set up Grant's campaign and mention this submarine there). Aside from that I guess the main difference would be that Breckinridge phased the idea of privateers quicker than Davis and, anxious to get cotton out, has created a better organized, more government controlled system for blockade running and commerce raiding.
You could perhaps write a chapter at some point that's just focused on the naval war? That might be a way to incorporate all of this discussion and information without breaking the narrative flow of the other chapters.

As a side-note, there might be a need for a ret-con in chapter 34. After a re-read, I noticed that:
but Polk remains in the Army of Tennessee.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll think I'll incorporate your ideas regarding Price's raid almost exactly. As for Polk, yeah, I had forgotten I had him exiled, I'll fix that up.

My finger is itching.
Don't do it, Wilkes Booth!

You could perhaps write a chapter at some point that's just focused on the naval war? That might be a way to incorporate all of this discussion and information without breaking the narrative flow of the other chapters.
I don't think there's enough material to write a full update regarding the navy situation. Maybe a mini-update? I haven't done one of those in a good while.

I won’t ask about an update but rather would like to ask about the possibility of a map of the overall situation in the war?
Union 1864.png

Here's a map of the situation at the beginning of 1864.

And here's a terrible map I'm ashamed of making, because it is terrible, terrible. It tries to show what areas have significant guerrilla activity but it is terrible

Union 1864 guerrillas.png

View attachment 750750
Here's a map of the situation at the beginning of 1864.

And here's a terrible map I'm ashamed of making, because it is terrible, terrible. It tries to show what areas have significant guerrilla activity but it is terrible

Thank you! It’s good for someone who never claimed to be a cartographer.
I am somewhat surprised there isn’t any activity in Southern California as there were CSA sympathizers there OTL. Of course I may have simply forgotten if that was already mentioned.

Thank you! It’s good for someone who never claimed to be a cartographer.
I am somewhat surprised there isn’t any activity in Southern California as there were CSA sympathizers there OTL. Of course I may have simply forgotten if that was already mentioned.
The map doesn't show minor guerrilla activity. The Confederacy also suffers some guerrilla activity in Texas and Southern California, and the Union faces guerrillas even in supposedly Unionist areas like West Virginia and East Tennessee. But it's minor, little when compared with the centers of the guerrilla war.

So so if I'm reading the map right Union has the land it had under control at the start of 1864 in OTL basically? More control over Tennessee and Mississippi alongside full control of the Virginian and northern North Carolina coast seem to be the key differences.

So so if I'm reading the map right Union has the land it had under control at the start of 1864 in OTL basically? More control over Tennessee and Mississippi alongside full control of the Virginian and northern North Carolina coast seem to be the key differences.
Basically, the big difference is that the Union is doing a lot more effort to occupy and pacify areas where a lot of freedmen and Unionists live, usually by a policy of land redistribution and arming the loyal people there. So it has led to a greater occupation of the Mississippi Valley and the coastal areas.

I figured Kansas and Missouri would still have a lot of flare-ups considering one of the big things at the start of this timeline was Kansas being admitted as a slave state. Southern Illinois surprises me but it does make sense in a way. The CSA wants to try to take it to the North and it is one of the easiest ways.

The map is actually pretty good.

I figured Kansas and Missouri would still have a lot of flare-ups considering one of the big things at the start of this timeline was Kansas being admitted as a slave state. Southern Illinois surprises me but it does make sense in a way. The CSA wants to try to take it to the North and it is one of the easiest ways.

The map is actually pretty good.
The vast majority of Kansas' population lives in the state's border with Missouri, and pro-slavery people were always outnumbered, this being what made Buchanan's chicanery so outraging. As you can see, the Kansas-Missouri border is signaled as an area of guerrilla activity, and it's in fact one of the worst when it comes to violence and atrocities. As for Southern Illinois, the guerrilla activity there is mostly Confederates raiding it. Southern Indiana and even Ohio are often subjected to raids as well. There is, however, some Copperhead unrest that often explodes into anti-government violence, mostly when taxes, the draft or other unpopular policies are enforced.

There seems to be a more extreme and violence minded Republican Party in this time, with their very own paramilitaries no less. It seems like there will be partisan violence several years after the civil war is officially ended. Do you foresee a greater white Southerner exodus from the American South to Latin America and South Africa than was in our OTL? Especially if there are more punitive measures put in place? Also I’m wondering if the Deep South states of Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina will become majority African American states. I know it seems like the Republican Party and several unionist organizations actually seem down to protect the freedmen in this timeline, but with extreme violence you might still see freedmen flocking to states either far away from the violence and relatively unsettled (the west) or the states I mentioned so that they have strength in numbers

Expanding on the Arkansas situation on Chapter 41
The failures in Georgia and South Carolina exasperated Lincoln, but the President could at least take some solace in the successes found in Arkansas. That state had been basically left undefended after most of its troops had been transferred towards the east to resist Grant's campaigns against Corinth and then Vicksburg. The situation was so critical that the governor threatened to secede. Arkansas was, the governor declared, "lost, abandoned, subjugated . . . not Arkansas as she entered the confederate government." If help wasn't fore-coming, Arkansas wouldn't remain in the Confederacy waiting until it was "desolated as a wilderness". The governor was not exaggerating, for the route to Little Rock was practically open, Samuel R. Curtis' small force advancing to the capital. Only guerrilla combat, that saw the use of Native American troops by both sides, slowed the Union in its march.

Were Native American troops employed in this theatre IOTL?

My only knowledge of Native Americans in the Civil War is a vague recollection(?) that the Cherokee (and the other 'Civilised Tribes'?) sided with the Confederacy, though even then I have no idea what they actually got up to.