The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Indeed. Rome cannot play quite as fast and loose with the opinion of the rest of the world as the soviets can. Should the RA at any point disband due to there no longer being a soviet spectre to unite against and Italy being too arrogant, they will return to being at best a second-tier power.

I don't too believe that Italy is going to use nukes on colonial wars. These probably would be ratherly guerilla wars where nukes are quiet pointless when them wouldn't have any markable target. And Italians colonists wouldn't be happy when tens if not nundred of acres of their farming lands would be radiated and tons of them would get cancer. Stalin might be insane enough nuking his own citizens and land but hardly Mussolini or any other fascist.

But Italy might use nukes against Syria and Egypt during Second Arab War.

I wonder if Hindu fascist emerge victorious in the indian conflict would it create some problem between ITO and RA if said Hindu fascist want to join RA? Would RA accept them at the cost of souring relation with ITO or would they just ignore the request.

It would create a problem between the RA and ITO and both sides could agree that India can be friends with both but not officially join either. Now both sides (especially the Portuguese) will strongly encourage the various Hindutva movements to leave the Christian communities in the south alone. India may play both sides against each other for foreign aid, business investment and military support. Since this India will lean more right they may adopt some ideas of the RA (strong central government, strong military/police/intelligence services) but are 'democratic' like OTL South Korea or Taiwan.

I am not an expert, but wouldn't the radiations from the bombs afflict Lybia, Israel and Turkey too?

Radiation might cause some problems if then they don't use not so radiating and effective ones. But more probable is that they end any nukes being too risky.

It would create a problem between the RA and ITO and both sides could agree that India can be friends with both but not officially join either. Now both sides (especially the Portuguese) will strongly encourage the various Hindutva movements to leave the Christian communities in the south alone. India may play both sides against each other for foreign aid, business investment and military support. Since this India will lean more right they may adopt some ideas of the RA (strong central government, strong military/police/intelligence services) but are 'democratic' like OTL South Korea or Taiwan.

India probably ends to be neutral. And it has too abandone all claims over Portuguese, French and some British holdings. But India probably ends to be some level of federal state due its very multienhnic nature.

Well, at least some things are turning for the best in the US (Patton resisting the segregationist sirens is a good thing; the motorways as well), other worse (the flag burning emendament is decisively worrisome), India and Pakistan ended into a deeper black hole, and Mao put his foot in his mouth in attacking Hong Kong.

Dolan

Banned
So what this TL's equlivalent to the Italian cartoon show Winx Club?
Vestales Club, being essentially Winx Club set in Ancient Roman times, being Vestal Virgins and all.

Also being secretly written by Mussolini all along, so all those creepy sexualized scenes ended up passing the censors despite being directed for kids. More or less being unsubtle critiques about religions too, with Vestal Virgins being only 'technically' virgins.

Vestales Club, being essentially Winx Club set in Ancient Roman times, being Vestal Virgins and all.

Also being secretly written by Mussolini all along, so all those creepy sexualized scenes ended up passing the censors despite being directed for kids. More or less being unsubtle critiques about religions too, with Vestal Virgins being only 'technically' virgins.
Hmm,this gives me an idea,do you think what would Robert A Heinlein protray the Bugs and the Federation as in this TL's Starship Troopers or it's equlivalent.

Last edited:
Hmm,this gives me an idea,do you think what would Robert A Heinlein protray the Bugs and the Federation as in this TL's Starship Troopers or it's equlivalent.
Probably even more militaristic than OTL, considering Fascism is now considered an acceptable ideology and that the Myth Of The Clear Wehrmatch is now more widespread.
I can see the Bugs being a methaphor of either the soviets or the Nazi, with Heinlein showing the audience that the Federation is a "good" militaristic society unlike them, because it has morals and rules.

Probably even more militaristic than OTL, considering Fascism is now considered an acceptable ideology and that the Myth Of The Clear Wehrmatch is now more widespread.
I can see the Bugs being a methaphor of either the soviets or the Nazi, with Heinlein showing the audience that the Federation is a "good" militaristic society unlike them, because it has morals and rules.
Don't forget that Heinlein had somewhat Leftist sympathies in his youth. He was very hostile to Communism, because he saw it as a danger to freedom, but his views were always very, very far from Fascism as well. Later he would come to what can be called a Libertarian approach... The idea that freedom entails a responsibility to protect it with force, which is the bedrock of the militarism in Starship Troopers, is not exactly Fascist.
However, I can easily see him approve of Patton on this basis.

So what this TL's equlivalent to the Italian cartoon show Winx Club?
Hard to tell. Assuming that it gets made roughly when it was created IOTL, the best thing I can think of would be setting It in Italy or equivalent outright, not using any kind of gratoitous English unless it's for a single specific character, and use a few more folkoristic creatures.
The protagonists probably wouldn't be High School girls, but mostly because I'm not sure the "Magical High Schooler" clichè/trope would necessarily exist ITTL, rather than any conscious choice.

Also, this makes me wonder about the kind of movies (or possibly videogames) that could come about ITTL's 2000-2020 period. Sure, there wouldn't be any sign of the "Average Italian™" nonsense, and the Italian Comedy as a genre would simply not exist, but beyond that...

EDIT: before I forget, I wonder what Ezra Pound is up ITTL...

Hard to tell. Assuming that it gets made roughly when it was created IOTL, the best thing I can think of would be setting It in Italy or equivalent outright, not using any kind of gratoitous English unless it's for a single specific character, and use a few more folkoristic creatures.
The protagonists probably wouldn't be High School girls, but mostly because I'm not sure the "Magical High Schooler" clichè/trope would necessarily exist ITTL, rather than any conscious choice.

Also, this makes me wonder about the kind of movies (or possibly videogames) that could come about ITTL's 2000-2020 period. Sure, there wouldn't be any sign of the "Average Italian™" nonsense, and the Italian Comedy as a genre would simply not exist, but beyond that...

EDIT: before I forget, I wonder what Ezra Pound is up ITTL...

Nothing even remotely akin to Winx is going to exist ITTL. I can tell this for sure, because I happen to personally know people who worked on the creation of that show. ;)
Culture in Italy is going to have a very different tune here.

Nothing even remotely akin to Winx is going to exist ITTL. I can tell this for sure, because I happen to personally know people who worked on the creation of that show. ;)
Culture in Italy is going to have a very different tune here.

Longer dominated fascist culture in Italy should have this effect. I wonder what of Italian culture will stay and what less. For example, on the comic matter, Bonelli comics should have more traction TTL, their heroes surely would well in this background and not being put under watch of the Minculpop, they always were apolitical. But I wonder if Galep and Sergio Bonelli will create Tex Willer, probably yes even if he is an American character for the reason said above. "Topolino" should develop as well, Mondadori should still have the rights, the government didn’t block the publication of Gottfredson's strips till 1942 OTL so there is no reason TTL as well, and maybe the Italian Disney school will develop a bit early, Scarpa and Carpi were still to early to emerge so at that time the leading Italian Disney artist should be still the Martina-Bioletto duo, but I wonder then if the Inferno di Topolino (the Hell of Mickey Mouse) will come out TTL, if yes would be quite different.

Sorry for this kind of cultural rant which probably only Italian readers will understand.

Longer dominated fascist culture in Italy should have this effect. I wonder what of Italian culture will stay and what less. For example, on the comic matter, Bonelli comics should have more traction TTL, their heroes surely would well in this background and not being put under watch of the Minculpop, they always were apolitical. But I wonder if Galep and Sergio Bonelli will create Tex Willer, probably yes even if he is an American character for the reason said above. "Topolino" should develop as well, Mondadori should still have the rights, the government didn’t block the publication of Gottfredson's strips till 1942 OTL so there is no reason TTL as well, and maybe the Italian Disney school will develop a bit early, Scarpa and Carpi were still to early to emerge so at that time the leading Italian Disney artist should be still the Martina-Bioletto duo, but I wonder then if the Inferno di Topolino (the Hell of Mickey Mouse) will come out TTL, if yes would be quite different.

Sorry for this kind of cultural rant which probably only Italian readers will understand.

I am afraid that "Dylan Dog" will never appear in any recognizable form ITTL.

Talking about italian culture, what do you think will happen to Italo Calvino ITTL?
Also is "Commisario Montalbano" going to exist in some form in this timeline?

Talking about italian culture, what do you think will happen to Italo Calvino ITTL?
Also is "Commisario Montalbano" going to exist in some form in this timeline?
I mean, the PoD is when Calvino was a little kid, depending on how strong your anti-butterfly net is, either he never becomes a writer and becomes an agricultural manager; or he still writes but doesn't denounce fascism because he doesn't get any reason to do so. Either way, I don't see him repudiating fascism as hard as he did IOTL.

Commissario Montalbano… that's an interesting nut to crack. I don't see the setting changing, since Camilleri was born in Sicily and picked the location based on what was familiar to him, but the nature of the cases could be different.