The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

I mean, the PoD is when Calvino was a little kid, depending on how strong your anti-butterfly net is, either he never becomes a writer and becomes an agricultural manager; or he still writes but doesn't denounce fascism because he doesn't get any reason to do so. Either way, I don't see him repudiating fascism as hard as he did IOTL.

Commissario Montalbano… that's an interesting nut to crack. I don't see the setting changing, since Camilleri was born in Sicily and picked the location based on what was familiar to him, but the nature of the cases could be different.

Many details of Salvo Montalbano were inspired by Pepe Carvalho, a detective created by the Spanish writer Manuel Vázquez Montalbán, who was quite left wing, even going to prison for one year and a half for joining a strike in 1963.

Depending on the Spanish situation in TTL in the '60s and '70s, Carvalho might not come to exist. So il Commissario might not be a gastronomer, maybe not called Montalbano.

(Come to think of it, would he be a Commissario in a Fascist Italy?)

gurgu

Banned
I'm more concerned about the European Union.
In OTL in 1951 ECSC created, but since we have 2 alliances at the moment( RA and Allies) it's at least delayed.
If i may guess, Benny will create a proto european union by with the economic agreement of the RA memebrs, and after his death, whoever succeds him, will keep the lead of this proto-European Union by introducing a unique currency( italian lira over all?). at that point we can either see England, Ireland france and half Germany join, thus leaving america or a smaller European federation( remember there won't be any Yugoslavian explosion as Slovenians don't exist anymore, Croatians are technically free, macedonia hasn't formed an own mind but is full bulgarian, Albania is almost full italian and Montenegro has not enough power to win) with a stronger Bulgaria ( it won't have faced communism as OTL, and for sure won't have the same corruption)and Turkey

The primary reason to have the ECSC was to join the French and German economies.

So the most likely ECSC equivalent is Entente-based, though the Roman Alliance may start an equivalent - and that equivalent may strike deals with the ECSC.

Probably there will be ECSC altough much smaller. France and Germany want find way maintain peace and democracy on the continent. Of course Italy is out ITTL when it not be democracy.

RA might create their own equivalent.

Probably there will be ECSC altough much smaller. France and Germany want find way maintain peace and democracy on the continent. Of course Italy is out ITTL when it not be democracy.

RA might create their own equivalent.

Britain tried with the EFTA after all.

Longer dominated fascist culture in Italy should have this effect. I wonder what of Italian culture will stay and what less. For example, on the comic matter, Bonelli comics should have more traction TTL, their heroes surely would well in this background and not being put under watch of the Minculpop, they always were apolitical. But I wonder if Galep and Sergio Bonelli will create Tex Willer, probably yes even if he is an American character for the reason said above. "Topolino" should develop as well, Mondadori should still have the rights, the government didn’t block the publication of Gottfredson's strips till 1942 OTL so there is no reason TTL as well, and maybe the Italian Disney school will develop a bit early, Scarpa and Carpi were still to early to emerge so at that time the leading Italian Disney artist should be still the Martina-Bioletto duo, but I wonder then if the Inferno di Topolino (the Hell of Mickey Mouse) will come out TTL, if yes would be quite different.

Sorry for this kind of cultural rant which probably only Italian readers will understand.

No italian school mean no Paperinik (among others)...panic. IRC Benny was perfectly ok with Topolino and relations with the USA post Patton are good so the Mouse it's safe and an italian set of stories and characters can be oked as the fascist regime will want put her spin on whatever is pubblished in Italy and has such following as Disney characters. Maybe the one that will change more will be Donald Duck, in Italy a greater enphasis has been put on the everyman/lazy/conning/side of him but ITTL they will want to promote his adventureer side of Barks and Rosa stories (basically as his depicted in the current Ducktales series) and Amelia la strega che amalia (Magica DeSpell) will probably have a different origin than Naples.

No italian school mean no Paperinik (among others)...panic. IRC Benny was perfectly ok with Topolino and relations with the USA post Patton are good so the Mouse it's safe and an italian set of stories and characters can be oked as the fascist regime will want put her spin on whatever is pubblished in Italy and has such following as Disney characters. Maybe the one that will change more will be Donald Duck, in Italy a greater enphasis has been put on the everyman/lazy/conning/side of him but ITTL they will want to promote his adventureer side of Barks and Rosa stories (basically as his depicted in the current Ducktales series) and Amelia la strega che amalia (Magica DeSpell) will probably have a different origin than Naples.
Maybe Magica DeSpell in from Russia or Germany (and obviously has a different name)?

Let's just hope that L'inferno di Topolino (Mickey Mouse's Hell) by Guido Martina ("the Professor") and Angelo Bioletto still exist. OTL it was written during the war and it's both the first great parody of a literature classic (Dante's Inferno from the Divina Commedia) and a work of unparalleled magnitude among italian stories. Between the text written in tercets in every panel, there's also numerous aspects of the post-war italian society, both funny and tragic.

For Magica DeSpell, I don't see why she would not exist ITL. Barks wanted another enemy for Uncle Scrooge, to be added to the Beagle Boys and Flintheart Gloomgold. He choosed a witch, but not an old hag like the ones already appaered in other Disney's media. So he took inspiration from two italian actresses, Gina Lollobrigida and Sophia Loren. Also, her being from Naples is one of her major characteristic. No other italian city has as much "misterious charm", for an american point of view. And her being greed and opportunistic could be an intended jab to the fascist politics: friends only when convenient.

Let's just hope that L'inferno di Topolino (Mickey Mouse's Hell) by Guido Martina ("the Professor") and Angelo Bioletto still exist. OTL it was written during the war and it's both the first great parody of a literature classic (Dante's Inferno from the Divina Commedia) and a work of unparalleled magnitude among italian stories. Between the text written in tercets in every panel, there's also numerous aspects of the post-war italian society, both funny and tragic.

For Magica DeSpell, I don't see why she would not exist ITL. Barks wanted another enemy for Uncle Scrooge, to be added to the Beagle Boys and Flintheart Gloomgold. He choosed a witch, but not an old hag like the ones already appaered in other Disney's media. So he took inspiration from two italian actresses, Gina Lollobrigida and Sophia Loren. Also, her being from Naples is one of her major characteristic. No other italian city has as much "misterious charm", for an american point of view. And her being greed and opportunistic could be an intended jab to the fascist politics: friends only when convenient.

Yes, but i doubt that this will really fly with Minculpop, so in Italy her origin will be changed, regarding L'inferno di Topolino, well if they are clever and subtle enough (as many artist at the time) they can get away with more and be given the OK

I see the Disney Italian school developing. For Magica de Spell, let's just say the Minculpop rewrote so many detective novels, so that the bad guy wasn't Italian and other things.
Regarding Tex, during fascism there was a tendency to have Italian heroes (even if they travelled everywhere), and Tex isn't 3ven the most fascist character (actually kind of a anarcho-libertarian). But let's say the comic is born in 1948 as OTL, and the outlaw period of Tex is prolonged in a not so subtle criticism of Wallace, the storyline then returns to OTL after Patton's election, with Carson inviting him to join the Rangers.

Meanwhile I was thinking, it would be safe to assume TTL the Reggiane Re.2005 would be produced in adeguate quantity to be determinant in the Italian air fights in WWII since Triest and opening the path to the jet powered Re.2007? Albeit the main war fighter of the Regia Aeronautica should be still the Macchi C.202 and then the C.205. At the same time, FIAT would be able to build more G.55, the only competent fighter which was able to develop OTL.

I guess at the same time, Savoia-Marchetti will focus and specialize more over bomber design and production.

I don't honestly dare to enter in the tank debate, btw.

Depends when the split with Germany happens, as all the aircraft mentioned use German engines.

Because Ital-German relations went awry in 1943, the Reggiani Re. 2006 won't see the light as OTL - the German engine which should have been equipped should have arrived that year. But it was due of that failure the Reggiani Re. 2007 started to be planned.