This is something I plan to place in my final TL...

The Lima Standard Series - Part 1

As the Diesel grew in prominence in the US, the Lima locomotive works decided it was time to try and beat the diesels at a key game. That is, producing locomotives that could be used by any railroad for most purposes. These locomotives would become known as standards by virtue of using the same designs for one engine used on all trains.

The first standards were relatively simplistic in their origins. All of them were based on designs by the USRA that were made in World War 1 until 1920. As well as a few other designs like the Decapods originally built for pre-Bolshevik Russia. But Lima would add many improvements to these engines to make them up to snuff with modern steam engines such as the Pennsylvania Railroad R3 and the New York Central J series Hudsons.

The first Lima standards were designed to be as modern as possible, and had all the features of such - roller bearings on all axles, integral cast engine bed frames that incorporated the cylinders, thermic syphons, Worthington feedwater heater and Walscherts valve gear. The larger designs also tended to have Belpaire fireboxes and Scullen Disc Drivers. Virtually all designs used double Kylchap exhaust systems as well. Well aware of the work of Andre Chapelon in France, Lima's design engineers indeed used many of the same theories and developments to conceive these engines.

Classification system
- Abbreviation for the arrangement's name
- Service purpose: "P" for passenger, "F" for freight, and "D" for dual service
- For example, a USRA Heavy Mountain was used as the basis for the MT-D

The DCL-F 2-10-0
- Based on the Russian Decapod
- Most Common User: St. Louis-San Fransisco (1633 Class)

The MK-F1 2-8-2
- Based on the USRA Light Mikado
- Most Common User: Western Maryland (N Class); Norfolk & Western (P Class)
- One of the WM types, #904, often runs excursions with other WM steamers on what is now the Wabash & Erie

The MT-D1 4-8-2
- Based on the USRA Heavy Mountain
- Most common user: Erie Railroad (L-1 type)
- Many ended up going to places like China, Africa, and Latin America (in my planned universe, almost all the railroads there are Standard Gauge)

The TX-F 2-10-4
- Based on the C&O T1
- Most common user: Pennsylvania Railroad (J1 type)

The HD-P 4-6-4
- Based on the C&O L Series
- Most common user: Union Pacific (FEF-2; FSF-1 was the CP engines)
- UP Painted theirs in a paint scheme based on that of the Challenger passenger train

The NT-D1 4-8-4
- Based on the unstreamlined Southern Pacific GS-2
- Most common user: Illinois Central (Class 3000)

I plan to just use this thread from now on as a testing grounds for future events in my final TL.

Here is my latest revised plan for railroads by the 2018 of my TL:

* denotes a railroad that is run as a subsidiary
** denotes a since-deflunct railroad that has since been split up, but with the railroad listed having most of it

New York Central: Rutland; Virginian

Delaware & Hudson

Pennsylvania: Boston & Maine**; Long Island; Maine Central; New York, New Haven & Hartford**; Norfolk & Western*; 50% of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line; 50% of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac*; Toledo, Peoria & Western (east of Peoria); 50% of the Winston-Salem Southbound

Baltimore & Ohio: Buffalo & Susquehanna; Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh; Detroit & Toledo Shore Line; Central Railroad of New Jersey; Chicago & Alton; Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville (North of Monon, IN); Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; Reading; 50% of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line

Chesapeake & Ohio/Erie: Akron, Canton & Youngstown; Ann Arbor; Bessemer & Lake Erie; Chicago & Illinois Midland; Chicago, Attica & Southern; Delaware, Lackawanna & Western; Detroit & Mackinac; Detroit, Toledo & Ironton; Erie; Hocking Valley; Lehigh Valley; New York, Chicago & St. Louis; Pere Marquette; Pittsburgh & Shawmut; Pittsburgh & West Virginia; Pittsburgh, Shawmut & Northern; Wheeling & Lake Erie; Wabash; Western Maryland

Atlantic Coast Line: Atlanta, Birmingham & Coast; Chicago & Eastern Illinois; Clinchfield; Georgia Route; Gulf, Mobile & Northern; Louisville & Nashville; Mississippi Central; New Orleans Great Northern; 25% of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac; 50% of the Winston-Salem Southbound; 33% of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis

Southern: Chicago, Terre Hautte, and Southeastern; Columbus & Greenville; Florida East Coast*; Mobile & Ohio; Norfolk Southern; 25% of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis*; Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville (south of Monon, IN); Tennessee Central (East of Nashville)

Illinois Central: Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay; Central of Georgia; Seaboard Air Line; 25% of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac*; 25% of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis; Tennessee Central (West of Nashville)

Burlington Northern: Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Colorado & Southern (North of Trinidad, CO); Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic; Great Northern; Green Bay & Western; Minneapolis & St. Louis; Northern Pacific; Spokane, Portland & Seattle

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific: Butte, Anaconda & Pacific; Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range; Escanaba & Lake Superior

Union Pacific:
50% of the Central Pacific; Chicago & North Western; Kansas City Southern; Lake Superior & Ishpeming; Litchfield & Madison; Louisiana & Arkansas; Missouri-Kansas-Texas

Missouri Pacific: Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific (lines from Chicago to Kansas City, Omaha, and Sioux Falls); Chicago Great Western (Twin Cities-Kansas City line); Kansas, Oklahoma & Gulf; Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka; Texas & Pacific;

Denver & Rio Grande Western: Colorado & Southern (South of Trinidad, CO); Denver & Salt Lake; Fort Smith & Western; Fort Worth & Denver; Western Pacific; 50% of the Trinity & Brazo Valley

Southern Pacific: 50% of the Central Pacific; Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific; St. Louis Southwestern; 50% of the Trinity & Brazo Valley; Trona Railway

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe: Minneapolis & St. Louis; Kansas City, Mexico & Orient; Meridian & Bigbee; Midland Valley; Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern; Missouri & North Arkansas; St. Louis-San Francisco; Toledo, Peoria & Western (west of Peoria); Wabash (Aida, IA to La Plata, MO)

Canadian National: Bangor & Aroostook; Central Vermont; Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific; Grand Trunk; Grand Trunk Western, New York, Ontario & Western

Canadian Pacific: Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic; Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie; Spokane International; Wisconsin Central

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I have revised the Lehigh Valley and Lackawanna to switch places.

The LV will go to the B&O and the DLW will go to the Nickel Plate now. The B&O will better link itself with the NYC lines from Pennsylvania to both Ashtabula, OH to Lyons, NY. Then maybe a later line to link the RDG and LV near Wilkes-Barre.

This is another little idea I got from @TheMann. So here goes...

Amtrak's HSR work in the Northeast and Midwest was moving at a steady pace when history was changed by the September 11 terrorist attacks. The attacks forced the closure of America's airspace, which grounded all aircraft and forced Amtrak to deal with a sudden and gargantuan surge in passenger train travel, which they dealt with with honor and style, helped by freight railroads who in numerous cases sent extra motive power to help Amtrak's efforts, as well as hundreds of stored passenger cars being hauled out of storage for use.

It also saw some quite notable and famous moments, one of the biggest ones being the dispatching of steam locomotives to help Amtrak. Man of these, like those of the Pennsylvania Railroad and Southern Pacific, were often run by a coalition of the railroads and private preservationists.

The first few, and most famous of these events began on the evening of September 13. When Norfolk & Western 4-8-4 #611 ran from her hometown of Roanoke, Virginia to the state capital of Richmond. The next day in the afternoon, Amtrak's Silver Star came to Richmond all the way down from Boston, and the 611 hauled it the rest of the way to Miami, via the Illinois Central's former Seaboard Air Line route. Out west, the Southern Pacific sent it's tow major excursion engines, 4-8-4 #4449 and 4-8-2 #4354 were sent to San Diego, then the next day doubleheaded the Coast Daylight out to Vancouver.

More ideas are welcome.

@TheMann @Joe Bonkers

I am planning to revise some of my own Amtrak Midwest routes.

Would it be advisable if the routes served college towns? I ask because for the Chicago-Indianapolis line was made by me to serve Valparaiso and Lafayette due to being college towns.

Boston & Maine: Bangor & Aroostook; Maine Central

Delaware & Hudson

New York Central: Rutland; Virginian; Western Maryland

Pennsylvania: Long Island; New York, New Haven & Hartford; Norfolk & Western; 50% of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line; 50% of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac; Toledo, Peoria & Western (east of Peoria); 50% of the Winston-Salem Southbound

Baltimore & Ohio: Buffalo & Susquehanna; Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh; Central Railroad of New Jersey; Detroit, Toledo & Ironton; Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville (North of Monon, IN); Delaware, Lackawanna & Western; Detroit & Toledo Shore Line; Lehigh & New England; Reading; 50% of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line

Chesapeake & Ohio (aka The Chessie): Akron, Canton & Youngstown; Ann Arbor; Bessemer & Lake Erie; Chicago & Illinois Midland; Chicago, Attica & Southern; Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western; Detroit & Mackinac; Erie; Hocking Valley; New York, Chicago & St. Louis; Pere Marquette; Pittsburgh & Shawmut; Pittsburgh & West Virginia; Pittsburgh, Shawmut & Northern; Wabash; Wheeling & Lake Erie

Atlantic Coast Line: Atlanta, Birmingham & Coast; Chicago & Eastern Illinois; Clinchfield; Georgia Route; Gulf, Mobile & Northern; Louisville & Nashville; Mississippi Central; New Orleans Great Northern; 25% of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac; 50% of the Winston-Salem Southbound; Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis (east of Nashville)

Southern: Columbus & Greenville; Florida East Coast; Mobile & Ohio; Norfolk Southern; Meridian & Bigbee; Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis (west of Nashville); Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville (Chicago-Louisville via Monon, IN); Tennessee Central (East of Nashville)

Illinois Central: Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay; Central of Georgia; Seaboard Air Line; 50% of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac; Trackage Rights on the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis (Nashville-Chattanooga); Tennessee Central (West of Nashville)

Burlington Northern: Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Colorado & Southern (north of Trinidad); Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic; Great Northern; Green Bay & Western; Minneapolis & St. Louis; Northern Pacific; Spokane, Portland & Seattle

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific: Butte, Anaconda & Pacific; Duluth & Iron Range; Duluth, Missabe & Northern; Escanaba & Lake Superior

Union Pacific: 50% of the Central Pacific; Chicago & North Western; Lake Superior & Ishpeming; Litchfield & Madison

Kansas City Southern: Louisiana & Arkansas

Denver & Rio Grande Western: Colorado & Southern (south of Trinidad); Denver & Salt Lake; Fort Smith & Western; Fort Worth & Denver; Western Pacific

Missouri Pacific: Chicago & Alton Chicago Great Western (Twin Cities-Kansas City); Kansas, Oklahoma & Gulf; Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka; Texas & Pacific

Southern Pacific: 50% of the Central Pacific; Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific; New Mexico Central; St. Louis Southwestern; 50% of the Trinity & Brazo Valley; Trona Railway

Aitchison, Topeka & Santa Fe: Kansas City, Mexico & Orient; Midland Valley; Minneapolis & St. Louis; Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern; Missouri & North Arkansas; St. Louis-San Francisco; Toledo, Peoria & Western (west of Peoria); Wabash (north of La Plata, MO)

Canadian National: Central Vermont; Chicago, Central, & Pacific; Chicago, Terre Hautte, & Southeastern; Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific; Grand Trunk Western; New York, Ontario & Western

Canadian Pacific: Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic; Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie; Spokane International; Wisconsin Central

Some notes regarding my lattest revision I want help on...

- Mind you the NYC sells its Pennsylvania Division to the B&O. Whle the Reading buys the PRR's Wilkes-Barre branch to better link itself with the Lehigh Valley.
- I placed the CGW with MoPac for a Twin Cities connection. I placed the Chicago & Alton for a Chicago link in case the MILW selling its lines wouldn't make sense.
- CC&P is the IC Omaha division. I gave it to the CN so they could have a line to Omaha. Same with the CTE&SE letting them reach southern traffic in Louisville via trackage rights on the ex-Monon from Bedford, IN.

So far, here are some plans I have for my TL's B&O if it's not part of NYC by the 1980s...

Roads Acquired
- Reading
- Lehigh Valley
- Central Railroad of New Jersey
- Buffalo & Susquehanna
- 50% of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Line
- Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh
- Chicago & Alton
- Detroit & Toledo Shore Line
- Lehigh & New England

Trackage Rights
- New York Central's Pennsylvania Division
- Western Maryland line from Lurgan, PA to Hagerstown, MD

New Lines
- Gary to Indianapolis via Valparaiso and Lafayette
- Bloomsburg, PA to Wilkes-Barre

Again, all this assumes the NYC doesn't get the B&O at some point.

Next: my ideas for if there is still private rail in my TL.

Here's my current plan for passenger rail in Light at the end of the tunnel.

First off in the 50s, President Eisenhower includes in his transport budgets subsidies for the railroads. As well as massive de-regulation of the railroads which among other things, lets them set their own rates. As well as other cases that allowed railroads co-ordinate passenger rail with urban transport centers. Last, but most importantly, they also allowed railroads to build up and own other transport types like shipping. While the mail services also stayed on rail for most long distance travels to the point of UPs even considering their own train services.

That said, not even that would be enough once the urban renewal programs came to be. Bought up by the Catholic Church that many partisans supported for different reasons, the DNC for its belief in charity, and the GOP for its social conservative beliefs like the use of Natural Family Planning as opposed to contraceptive.

Nonetheless, many freight roads wanted out in the Northeast and Midwest, so the government took up many passenger services, aside from a few roads, under the banner of Amtrak. Today, the ensuing private railroad passenger scene is such...

Atchison, Topeka, And Santa Fe
- The Super Chief: Chicago- Peoria- Kansas City- Wichita- Trinidad- Santa Fe- Albuquerque- Belen- Flagstaff- San Bernardino- Los Angeles- San Diego
- The Texas Chief: Chicago- Peoria- Kansas City- Wichita- Oklahoma City- Ft. Worth/Dallas- Austin- San Antonio
- The Missouri Chief: St. Louis- Springfield- Tulsa- Avard- Amarillo- Belen- Flagstaff- San Bernardino- Los Angeles- San Diego

Southern Pacific
Under support from the California State Government and other private firms, SP operates one of the few privately-operated HSR networks in the country.
- Coast Daylight: San Fransisco- San Jose- San Luis Opisbo- Santa Barbara- Los Angeles- San Diego
- San Joaquin Daylight: San Fransisco- San Jose- Fresno- Bakserfield- Santa Clarita- Los Angeles- San Diego
- Las Vegas Daylight: Las Vegas- Mojave- Santa Clarita- Los Angeles- San Diego

Burlington Northern
BN is notable in that it is one of the few private companies to collaborate with Amtrak on its trains. As in the case of the Empire Builder, it uses Amtrak Midwest's Chicago- Milwaukee- Madison- La Crosse- Eau Claire line.
- Empire Builder: Chicago- Milwaukee- Madison- La Crosse- Eau Claire- Twin Cities- Fargo- Havre- Spokane- Seattle
- The California Zephyr: Chicago- Omaha- Denver- Glenwood Springs (DRG)- Salt Lake City (DRG)- San Fransisco (DRG)

Denver & Rio Grande Western
- The California Zephyr: Chicago (BN)- Omaha (BN)- Denver- Glenwood Springs- Salt Lake City- San Fransisco

New York Central
- The Lake Shore Limited: New York- Albany- Buffalo- Erie- Cleveland- Toledo- South Bend- Chicago
- The New England States: Boston- Springfield- Albany- Buffalo- Erie- Cleveland- Toledo- South Bend- Chicago
- The Ohio State Limited: New York- Albany- Buffalo- Erie- Cleveland- Columbus- Cincinnati

Amtrak is soon to come.

So I'm going to give my final TL de-regulation in the 50s to allow for at least more private passenger rail.

What de-regulations would be needed? Also, is it likely Amtrak would exist no matter how I went?

Here are some more possibilities regarding my TL's railroads in the Northeast.

Pennsylvania Railroad
Like a Phoenix, it rose and lived on after years of strife. Largely thanks to the work of Stuart Saunders and other officials from it small but smart sidekick the Norfolk & Western. Since Saunders first became the "Keystone Whiz Kid" the PRR has just grown and grown in size. Starting with their acquisition of the New Haven when the Railroad went bankrupt in 1975, the PRR shortly after expanded their scope. Eventually buying the Reading, Jersey Central, and several railroads like the Lehigh & New England that proved viable. A few years after, the ksytone bought up the Richmond, Fredricksburg, and Potomac from the Atlantic Coast Line and Illinois Central to further build it to Norfolk. Today, it is on the rise after the dark days of the immediate post-war era, and is headquartered in two places. One in Philadelphia where the key offices are. While another is in the southern part of the network out of the former Norfolk and Western HQ in Roanoke. The Pennsylvania's diesels are almost all Brunswick Green, while its electric fleet is mostly Tuscan Red as are its freight cars.

New York Central
To this day the main competitor of the PRR. The NYC eventually managed to lift itself out of financial trouble as the railroads were de-regulated on a massive scale into the early Reagan administration. What also helped is their merger with the Baltimore & Ohio, which allowed them to expand into southern markets which the B&O provided as well as links to Washington DC and with Virginian Railroad. Their success continued when in 1989, newly elected President Joseph Kennedy (I-MA) granted them some money to make upgrades. The NYC worked heavily with Amtrak when building HSR in the Northeast and Midwest. Which paid off for them when in return they managed to have the entire New York- Chicago mainline electrified. Followed by the one to Cincinnati. As part of this plan the line was also rerouted between Elkhart and Toledo to dip into Ft. Wayne. NYC locomotives have nearly all regained by 'lightning stripe' black, silver and dark grey paint scheme, replacing the austere black paint that most NYC locomotives began sporting in the 1960s.

Chessie System
Formed when the Ven Swerigen Railroads (Nickel Plate, Chesapeake & Ohio, and Pere Marquette) first merged in 1970 as a larger C&O in a union that would soon after include the Lackawanna. Over the next few years this line expanded itself greatly through the 1970s and 80s through acquisitions. Starting with just the Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton; Pittsburgh & West Virginia, and Pittsburgh & Lake Erie. But then they bought up the Western Maryland Railroad which let them enter Baltimore. Today it's still small, but sure packs a punch against the two opponents. This road's diesels are easily distinguished by their yellow and orange with blue lettering.

Here's another little video, this time by Jarrett-Scholl Productions. Based again on ideas from @TheMann.

NOTE: I kept the lines ambiguous due to my indecision regarding certain railroad combos barring a few; (Pennsylvania + Norfolk & Western; Nickel Plate + Chesapeake & Ohio + Pere Marquette; Santa Fe + Frisco; Southern Pacific + Rock Island; Baltimore & Ohio + Central of New Jersey + Reading).

Amtrak Steam Spectacular

The September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks resulted in America's airspace being closed for many days, forcing Amtrak to have to handle a sudden and gargantuan increase in demand for its services - which they did in truly incredible fashion, dragging out over 700 pieces of stored equipment, getting help from freight railroads in terms of both cars and motive power and drawing on every resource they could. The most incredible attention, however, went to the four GG1 electrics and eighteen steam locomotives sent by their owners to help Amtrak, with freight railroads being only too happy to send coal and water supplies to allow the steam locomotives to operate at the full speeds. Today, virtually all of these events are shown on video by us:

- Norfolk & Western 4-8-4 #611 leads the Silver Star for its entire southern run from Richmond, Virginia to Tampa, Florida. She strolls along down the busy Seaboard Air Line along the Eastern Seaboard. With the most iconic moment being her staccato as she leaves Southern Pines, NC to continue south.

- Pennsylvania Railroad T1 Duplex #5520 leads the Broadway Limited to Chicago. With the most notable event being her assault over Horseshoe Curve on Day 1. Then the iconic speeding along the Ft. Wayne Division where she beat Mallard's record as the fastest steam engine ever.

- New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson #5432 leads the New England States from Chicago to New York over her trekking ground on the historic Water Level Route.

- Nashville, Chattanooga, & St. Louis 4-8-4 #576 leads the Floridian from her home base at Nashville to Chattanooga. Where she is joined by Southern 2-8-2 #4501 for the rest of the ride through Georgia to Savannah via Atlanta and Macon.

- Union Pacific 4-8-4 #844 leads the Desert Wind east from Los Angeles via Utah and Colorado.

- Frisco 4-8-2 #1522 leads the City of New Orleans from St. Louis to New Orleans down the Illinois Central.

- Santa Fe 4-8-4 #3751 leads the Super Chief from San Bernardino all the way to Chicago.

- Grand Trunk Western 4-8-4 #6325 leads the Capitol Limited from Cleveland to Washington DC via Pittsburgh and the historic Baltimore & Ohio's Sand Patch Division through western Pennsylvania and Maryland.

- Southern Pacific 4-8-4 #4449 and 4-8-2 #4354 double-head the Coast Daylight from San Diego all the way north to Vancouver over the Canadian border.

- Missouri Pacific 4-8-2 #5321 leads the the Lone Star from her hometown in St. Louis all the way to San Antonio.

- Union Pacific 4-6-6-4 #3985 leads the Pioneer for its entire run from Denver north to Seattle.

- Chesapeake & Ohio 4-8-4 #614 leads the Old Dominion for its entirety from Chicago to Richmond via New York Central, Chesapeake & Ohio, and former Norfolk & Western lines. Of particular note are its assault on the line to Charleston from Huntington. Then later its climb through the Blue Ridge on the old N&W to Roanoke, Virginia.

Note: Will be updated eventually. This is just a start.

Last edited:
Here's another though I had regarding the shuffling of later rail lines...
  • The Pennsylvania Railroad buys up the ACL/SAL line from Richmond to Petersburg so it can have a cheaper way to both reach Norfolk and link to the N&W

For a recap of what my final TL is now, here's what its version of the Colonial passenger train is like. This

- Boston, MA (New Haven)
- Providence, RI
- New London, CT
- New Haven, CT
- New York, NY (NH/PRR Interchange)
- Newark, NJ
- Trenton, NJ
- Philadelphia, PA
- Wilmington, DE
- Baltimore, MD
- Washington DC (PRR/RF&P Interchange)
- Alexandria, VA
- Fredericksburg, VA
- Richmond, VA (RF&P/N&W interchange)
- Petersburg, VA
- Suffolk, VA
- Norfolk, VA

This route remained the same for much of when Amtrak and the Pennsylvania, which by that point owned all the lines, first started the Steel Interstate initiative in 1982 to show President Reagan how freight and Amtrak could co-exist which led to Reagan's change of heart regarding rail. After that in 1996, the Boston & Maine Railroad worked with Amtrak and the PRR to expand the NEC north to Portland, ME. To this day, the Steel Interstate has proven the framework for how to get Amtrak lines built in denser parts of the country.

The next post in my final TL is going to focus on FDR's death being butterflied.

Any ideas?

I ask because I can still see Truman being president at least until 1948.

I need help with some ideas for railroads I can make fallen flags ITTL. Any ideas are welcome.

The ones I'm sure about

Norfolk & Western
Absorbed into the Pennsylvania in 1968.

Richmond, Fredricksburg, & Potomac
Absorbed into the Pennsylvania in 1967.

New York, New Haven, & Hartford (New Haven)
Bankrupt in 1968. Absorbed into the Pennsylvania in 1970.

Maine Central
Absorbed into the Boston & Maine in 1967.

Bangor & Aroostook
Absorbed into the Boston & Maine in 1980.

Rutland
Absorbed into the Boston & Maine in 1962.

Delaware & Hudson
Absorbed into the Boston & Maine in 1982.

Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy (Burlington Route)
Merged into Burlington Northern in 1970.

Great Northern

Northern Pacific

Spokane, Portland, & Seattle

Colorado & Southern
Merged into Burlington Northern in 1970. Later split at Pueblo, CO with the Southern half going to the D&RGW.

Western Pacific
Absorbed into the D&RGW in 1982.

St. Louis-San Fransisco (Frisco)
Absorbed into the Aitchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe in 1978.

Chicago, Rock Island, & Pacific (Rock Island)
Makes plans to merge with Southern Pacific in 1960s. Completed in 1975.

Central of Georgia
Absorbed into the Illinois Central in 1961.

Nashville, Chattanooga, & St. Louis
Absorbed into the Louisville & Nashville in 1957. With contract letting IC and SOU use certain parts.

Chicago & Eastern Illinois
Absorbed into the Louisville & Nashville in 1963.

Chicago Great Western
Absorbed into Missouri Pacific in 1965.

Pere Marquette

Absorbed into the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1951.

New York, Chicago, & St. Louis (Nickel Plate)
Absorbed into the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1960.

Erie Lackawanna
Absorbed into the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1974.

New York, Ontario, & Western
Absorbed in New Haven in 1948 with new line to Buffalo. Eventually sold to CN when New Haven falls in 1968.