In the meantime, I think I will provide some misc. thoughts for the TL @HeX made when I contribute railroads.

- The Southern Pacific Railroad acquires the Rock Island in 1907. Which allows them to directly fight Santa Fe for Chicago - Southwest traffic (his TL's Colorado is SoCal plus the Baja Peninsula). They also built @TheMann's Las Vegas Division in the 1910s.
- Santa Fe acquires the Frisco as a counter-measure. Letting them enter St. Louis and the Deep South. On one hand, this likely butterflies famous Frisco steamers like the 1522. But it does open the chance for a ATSF Mountain to survive later on.
- The Norfolk & western has a mostly different route. For one thing, the Cincy - Norfolk line runs via Charleston, Roanoke, and Richmond. Which allows them to be a major player in the PRR empire.
- The Missouri Pacific attempts to get the Burlington Route, but the Hill Roads rebuff it. As such, the MoPac instead builts its line from St. Louis via Springfield and Peoria.
- A railroad called the Georgia Pacific is the only 5ft 6in gauge in the post Civil War period. Though it is eventually converted to standard gauge, and bought up by the Southern for its Atlanta-Athens-Augusta-Savannah line.

Here's the newest version of what things will look like in the end.

Northeast

New York Central
By far the strongest of the three major Northeastern roads, this line was once slowly falling ill. However, the leadership of Alfred E. Pearlman pulled the NYC out of an inevitable disaster. By 1978, the NYC was back and better than ever. Helping matters was also the acquisition of the Delaware & Hudson in 1980. Today, the line streches from New York to Buffalo via Upstate. Then west to Cleveland along Lake Erie, where it splits to either Chicago via Toledo and South Bend or Cincinnati via Columbus and Dayton. There are also numerous line through the Midwest which serve places like St. Louis and Indianapolis. In addition, they also have reached Pittsburgh and Baltimore by acquiring both the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie and Western Maryland railroads. Soon after also reaching Virginia and the coal fields by taking over the Virginian Railroad. The railroad is now almost entirely electrified on all its mains, with diesels for switching and local services. All locomotives are painted in two-tone gray "lightning stripe" livery of many early NYC passenger diesels. On that note, NYC also still runs major passenger trains like the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago and the Ohio State Limited to Cincinnati.

Pennsylvania Railroad
The Standard Railroad of the World once had been strong. But began to falter in the immediate post-war era. That is until Stuart Saunders entered the picture. Under his role, the railroad absorbed the N&W, RF&P, Lehigh Valley, and New Haven into is system. The PRR of this era also was responsible for the creation of freight rail, like the Rail Ferry which carried entire trucks instead of just the trailers. As well as . Today, the PRR is still a major player in the railroad scene. Intermodal traffic growth was so strong that nearly every inch of the main lines of the company (and many of the secondaries) got cab signals, and PRR began use the use of radio-controlled helper units and air compressor-equipped cabooses in 1989 to speed up operations, with the Main Line between Chicago and Bucyrus, Ohio in some cases clearing the intermodals for speeds as high as 85 MPH. By far one of the two dominant players in the Northeast alongside rival New York Central, The PRR's line from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia via Altoona and Harrisburg is also one of the busiest freight rail routes in the world. However, it today considers the Chessie System In Modern times, the PRR's HQ is in Philadelphia, PA (at Keystone Plaza in the city center), and its operations run out of several facilities, most notably the company's vast yards at Columbus, OH and Chicago, IL. The PRR's diesels were at first all Brunswick Green, as was its electric fleet. But this has since paved leadway to the Tuscan Red making a comeback on the more recent electric engines.

Chespeake & Ohio/Baltimore & Ohio
Better known as the Chessie System, this line consists of the former Van Sweringen roads like the C&O, NKP, and Pere Marquette. The Lackawanna was also in its mix. However, the railroad soon after expanded to include the Baltimore & Ohio. As well as the Reading and Jersey Central, plus the former NYC Pennsylvania Division. This railroad works heavily in industrial sectors and the coal fields of West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Today even, the PRR sees them as their top rival as opposed to the NYC.

Wabash & Erie
The ICC's infamous "Parallel Roads" policy forced the Erie out of the C&O+NKP+DLW+PM merger. As such, they hooked up with the Wabash railroad instead. This line expanded itself greatly through the 1970s and 80s through acquisitions. Starting with just the Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton and Pittsburgh & West Virginia. But then they bought up the PRR line from Columbus to Akron, as well as the NYC's secondary line from Springfield to Peoria via Indianapolis. The engines are painted in the colors of the Erie.

Boston & Maine
The railroad managed to outlive all the other short-distance lines in the northeast by becoming longer distance themselves. It started when they took over the Maine Central, which allowed them to enter the latter namesake location even further. This was followed soon after by the Bangor & Aroostook and Rutland railroads which extended their reach into upper New England and even Canada. This allowed the B&M to survive by shuttling Canadian traffic to all three of the major Northeast rail lines. The locomotives are distinct by virtue of their blue and white paint schemes, just both on diesels and on the electrics that run from Augusta to Boston.

Last edited:
For a recap, here are my railroad ideas by the ends of the TL.

Northeast
- New York Central
- Pennsylvania Railroad
- Chesapeake & Ohio
- Baltimore & Ohio
- Erie Lackawanna

Southeast
- Illinois Central
- Atlantic Coast Line
- Florida East Coast
- Southern Railroad

Midwest
- Missouri Pacific
- Union Pacific
- Chicago North Western
- Missouri-Kansas-Texas

Northeast
- Burlington Northern
- Milwaukee Road

Southwest
- Rio Grande
- Southern Pacific
- Santa Fe

I think the main TL's next update will be the start of how the Pennsylvania Railroad turns things around for themselves and Norfolk & Western.

Long story short, Martin Clement has constantly demanded more dramatic actions. Which the board largely vetoes. Eventually, Clement loses patiences and turns to PRR subsidiary Norfolk & Western. Stuart Saunders talks up the mantle as his apprentice.

Under Saunder's rule, the PRR undergoes many of the changes provided to OTL's N&W. Namely improved hump yards, CTC, and the like. Impressed with how the Southern Pacific let Las Vegas Division pay off, Saunder decides to focus on bigger changes before eliminating what's easier to replace like steam engines.

By the 1960s, the PRR/N&W are allowed to merge alongside the RF&P. In response, the NYC takes up the Virginian and Western Maryland. However, the PRR now views the new C&O/B&O as their new adversary thanks to the B&O having the Reading and CNJ in their control. Likewise, the New York Central turns attention away from the PRR to the new Erie Lackawanna.

It has been a while since I detailed the pop culture of my potential TL, so here are more animation details:
  • After the Powerpuff Girls pilot is panned by test audiences, the show instead begins as a back-up segment on Dexter's Laboratory. Much like how Pinky and the Brain started as one on Animaniacs. In addition, neither show suffers major declines and are better written in later years.
  • Stephen Hillenburg is allowed to cancel regular Spongebob airings after the show's fourth season. However, some episodes like "Dunces and Dragons" are still made as mini-specials.
  • Chris Savino changes his ways for the better after learning about John Kricfalusi's pedophilia. Eventually, his pilot Foe Paws for Cartoon Network becomes a full series in 2001.
  • CN Real being butterflied means Craig McCracken remains at CN, where he produces Wander Over Yonder as he originally envisioned it.
  • Disney Channel cancels most of its live-action sitcoms in the 2010s. With Craig McCracken still at CN ITTL, they instead create the Mickey Mouse shorts as a TV series. In addition, they win the rights to adapt various Nintendo IPs to mainly TV.

@Andrew Boyd

Before I start reading into your thread here, I was wondering; is this your WI where essentially where the USA we does not end up with the large Class I's that we have today? If so, I will have to read this!