The Empire Parnell Built

What industries/corps are big in Ireland, then? I have to imagine this was driven by an intentional Park Chunghee style deliberate developmentalist scheme at some point, but what kind of Irish economy has developed to make this cities so big/successful?
Yes, very much so. The economic developments in previous infoboxes are meant to roughly track OTL South Korea even as the election results roughly tracked OTL UK.

So using that very loose analogy, a lot of 19th century Irish companies would have diversified into Chaebol-type conglomerates. The most notable would be companies like Guinness, Harland & Wolff, Goulding and Dockrell. Harland and Wolff is the biggest shipbuilder in the world and the major economic dynamo of Belfast, while the major car companies are O'Gorman and Spa Road (both part of the Dockrell group), while Goulding and Guinness are major players in the electronics and chemicals markets. In addition, there is a large defence/aerospace industry, although the companies there ones like Vickers Armstrong, Bristol, Hawker Siddeley and so forth, whose head offices are mainly based in India and/or Great Britain. As well as these there are other major sectors such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, a little bit of mining and of course a lot of financial services (especially in Dublin and Belfast, for obvious reasons). Tourism and the 'culture industry' also play a major role, TTL as in OTL, with Dublin firmly ensconced as the cultural capital even while Belfast claims to be the economic driver.

Yes, very much so. The economic developments in previous infoboxes are meant to roughly track OTL South Korea even as the election results roughly tracked OTL UK.

So using that very loose analogy, a lot of 19th century Irish companies would have diversified into Chaebol-type conglomerates. The most notable would be companies like Guinness, Harland & Wolff, Goulding and Dockrell. Harland and Wolff is the biggest shipbuilder in the world and the major economic dynamo of Belfast, while the major car companies are O'Gorman and Spa Road (both part of the Dockrell group), while Goulding and Guinness are major players in the electronics and chemicals markets. In addition, there is a large defence/aerospace industry, although the companies there ones like Vickers Armstrong, Bristol, Hawker Siddeley and so forth, whose head offices are mainly based in India and/or Great Britain. As well as these there are other major sectors such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, a little bit of mining and of course a lot of financial services (especially in Dublin and Belfast, for obvious reasons). Tourism and the 'culture industry' also play a major role, TTL as in OTL, with Dublin firmly ensconced as the cultural capital even while Belfast claims to be the economic driver.
Guinness as a chemicals conglomerate is inspired! Harland & Wolff sounds like Hyundai heavy industries in that case. It’d be richly ironic too if Anglo-Irish was a successful bulge bracket bank out of Dublin that had helped finance Ireland’s remarkable development rather than a financial crisis failson…

Id be intrigued to see “corporate” info boxes on some of this when they TL wraps! Great work as always!

Russia: 2016 election
Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 08.27.16.png

Good to see that Russia is heading in such a positive direction, and that the Lievens are even more accomplished ttl than otl (I wonder of Dominic Lieven here is an expert on British history?)

A question- given that Ukraine, Belarus, and the Baltic states were German satellites before their reconquest by Russia, what's the status of separatism in those regions?

Good to see that Russia is heading in such a positive direction, and that the Lievens are even more accomplished ttl than otl (I wonder of Dominic Lieven here is an expert on British history?)

A question- given that Ukraine, Belarus, and the Baltic states were German satellites before their reconquest by Russia, what's the status of separatism in those regions?
There's a little bit of separatism here and there but it's mostly been crushed in the years after the 46-50 Civil War. Belorussian and Ukrainian have mostly been stamped out and replaced by Russian in schools and public life, although it has a few speakers in more isolated communities. Belorussian is now mostly regarded as an extinct dialect of Russian while Ukrainian is only really spoken in Danubia, where it's called 'Ruthenian' as a sop to Russian diplomatic interests.

Wait Covid-19? I know this TL has a lot of parallels but that's not just killing the butterflies but taking a flamethrower to them.

Wait Covid-19? I know this TL has a lot of parallels but that's not just killing the butterflies but taking a flamethrower to them.

No matter the universe, that one guy in Wuhan always eats that bat
Quite so. I'd also say that, whatever theory of how COVID made the jump to the regular human population, they're all consistent with what Chinese society is like TTL. Also, I'm looking to wrap this TL up in about a week or so and this seemed like a pretty convenient way to do it.

Victoria Donda as a Macron-analogue, I take it.

Love it when people name political parties after themselves. It gives me Jeb! vibes.

Also, it has the added meaning of "victory".
Yes, the idea also was to mimic the way Macron named his party after his own initials.

Quite so. I'd also say that, whatever theory of how COVID made the jump to the regular human population, they're all consistent with what Chinese society is like TTL. Also, I'm looking to wrap this TL up in about a week or so and this seemed like a pretty convenient way to do it.

Yes, the idea also was to mimic the way Macron named his party after his own initials.
I just hope the bat was delicious

I've been re-reading this from the beginning the last few days. Really remarkable work, I think I'm actually enjoying it more the second time around now that I know what some of the parallels are and having a sense of where things are headed.