Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know how practical this would be but could a Mathilda or a Valiant to pull a trailer to maybe carry a few infantry as well as having some of them ride on the tank at least as a stop gap until proper APCs can be developed.

Last edited:
Should I be getting deja vu about thse carriers? :D :D
Actually its really that often the solution to a problem is pretty obvious given the problem and the available resources.
Though I still think Oxford is a silly name for a carrier... Wyverns are WAY cooler!

I don’t know how practical this would be but could a Mathilda or a Valiant to pull a trailer to maybe carry a few infantry as well as having some of them ride on the tank at least as a stop gap until proper APCs can be developed.
Tanks and trailers do not mix well. The British Army tried with a "Rototrailer" which was designed to carry ammunition in the body, with a pump to get petrol out of the wheel hubs where it was stored and pump it into the tank's tanks. It failed. Invariably it leaked and was driven over by reversing tanks. Tank drivers could not see the trailer and mistakenly assumed it was where it wasn't. The Churchill Crocodile had a trailer where the liquid nitrogen and fuel for it's flame throw was carried. The drivers of the Crocodile were specially trained and the trailer was quite a bit bigger than the disasterous Rotatrailer. Post war, they tried again with a monowheel version to extend the range of the Centurion tank. Again they were a disaster according to all accounts and heartily disliked. Again, they were often driven over.

Rototrailer:

img_0028.jpg

Crocodile trailer:

800px-Puckapunyal-Churchill-Crocodile-4.jpg

Monotrailer:

66689.jpg

Tanks and trailers do not mix well. The British Army tried with a "Rototrailer" which was designed to carry ammunition in the body, with a pump to get petrol out of the wheel hubs where it was stored and pump it into the tank's tanks. It failed. Invariably it leaked and was driven over by reversing tanks. Tank drivers could not see the trailer and mistakenly assumed it was where it wasn't. The Churchill Crocodile had a trailer where the liquid nitrogen and fuel for it's flame throw was carried. The drivers of the Crocodile were specially trained and the trailer was quite a bit bigger than the disasterous Rotatrailer. Post war, they tried again with a monowheel version to extend the range of the Centurion tank. Again they were a disaster according to all accounts and heartily disliked. Again, they were often driven over.

Rototrailer:

img_0028.jpg

Crocodile trailer:

800px-Puckapunyal-Churchill-Crocodile-4.jpg

Monotrailer:

66689.jpg
Goes to show trailers were a bad good idea. Should have focused solely on the external fuel tanks/redesigned internal fuel tanks on the Centurion.

Goes to show trailers were a bad good idea. Should have focused solely on the external fuel tanks/redesigned internal fuel tanks on the Centurion.
Which is what was done, in the end. The Australians were the first to develop extended fuel tanks on the Mk.V and that was used in all the later marks.

To be honest I am having a hard time seeing how you would back over that. It should keep orientation with the tank. I could see it getting jammed backwards into a steep bank, but backing over it seems mechanically difficult.
Apparently it was managed. The British Army hated them as did the Danish (who were apparently the one people foolish enough buy them). I have read accounts of how they often drove over them.

Apparently it was managed. The British Army hated them as did the Danish (who were apparently the one people foolish enough buy them). I have read accounts of how they often drove over them.
Huh. Maybe "driving over" it means the tank behind in the column drives over it because it is below their vision level? That would make more sense to me. Either way, finding ways to destroy things is much easier than designing them to last, I suppose.

....LOL, how to get rid on piece of sh.... equipment. It gets lost/damaged/stolen during exercises and you never come around to order an replacement for it.

I'm a bit confused about tankers backing over their trailers. I always envisioned them being used like drop tanks on a fighter. You get near your enemy and dump them as quickly as possible. Then and only then do you roll into your fight. Is that incorrect?

I think every day we are getting closer and closer to the ultimate timeline of Logistics. Where, I dunno, someone becomes PM in the early 1930s who spent a decade in Australia before serving in WW1 in logistics, then returns to UK after the war and works in a car maker before entering parliament.

Anyway, the tl;dr is that come 1939 we have a crap load of great long distance lorries made across the Empire and loads of top class fuel cans. No good tanks, carriers or fighter planes sorry, but you can't win everything.
Well they did start planning to build a crap load of lories in 1938.One of the rare occasions when Ford and General Motors worked together.

Status
Not open for further replies.