Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. A number of the hydroelectric stations of Hydro-Quebec are run-of-the-river, as well as the Columbia's Chief Joseph Dam, though none of them are anywhere close to as large as the Grand Inga (or even Inga III). However, such projects are geographically limited to areas where a reasonably high-flow river falls relatively steeply, so they'll always be a minority of hydro projects. The Congo is unique in this respect because it has steep falls (the Livingstone Falls, which are more rapids) near its mouth while also being a high-flow tropical river. So you have a large amount of water descending very quickly, which is just what you need for a big run-of-river hydro project.

There's quite a bit of hydroelectric potential elsewhere in Africa, of course, on the Nile and so on, possibly further up the Congo as well. I suspect the Drakians will be big into "grand transformations" like Grand Inga, damming the Congo further upstream to form Lake Mega-Chad, draining the Sudd, and so on and so forth; not only would they (at least in principle) create additional resources for them to use, but the fact that most of them would displace indigenous peoples and destroy their ways of life would, I suspect, be considered a bonus.
Thanx.

And probably would be considered a bonus. Not sure if these grand transformations would make the areas more livable for whites, but as you said, displace and destroy is a bonus.

Similar to Canon Draka,it looks like the Drakia could tap into a large bitter pool of skilled Volga Germans,Russians,Ukrainians,Balts.I assume Icelanders would have still gone to Winnipeg like OTL,instead of a completely different environment after the eruptions,but refugees from a PolPot Russia probably don't have the options to be picky,and their kids grow up with a combo of parents bitterness and Drakia schooling,quite a mix.

Similar to Canon Draka,it looks like the Drakia could tap into a large bitter pool of skilled Volga Germans,Russians,Ukrainians,Balts.I assume Icelanders would have still gone to Winnipeg like OTL,instead of a completely different environment after the eruptions,but refugees from a PolPot Russia probably don't have the options to be picky,and their kids grow up with a combo of parents bitterness and Drakia schooling,quite a mix.

Don’t forget the Spanish, given they’re dealing with that lunacy there too.

Don’t forget the Spanish, given they’re dealing with that lunacy there too.
The Spanish lunacy looks more like merely Maoism or Leninism, i.e. unsustainable and all around not a great idea but not so horrible you'll have waves of refugees fleeing just to find something to eat. Only an initial burst of "enemies of the regime," then a slow trickle of defectors.

The Spanish lunacy looks more like merely Maoism or Leninism, i.e. unsustainable and all around not a great idea but not so horrible you'll have waves of refugees fleeing just to find something to eat. Only an initial burst of "enemies of the regime," then a slow trickle of defectors.
I'm glad to see geoism get a little time in the sun regardless, I can't think of a handful of timelines where it features prominently

Now it begins!
Great update.

Danke.:)

@Ephraim Ben Raphael "What's that grinding sound I'm hearing right now?"

"Oh, that's the Pope and his cardinals grinding their teeth in fury. We can only imagine what the Orthodox Russians would've been doing if most of them weren't hiding out right now.

:biggrin:

This timeline is so interesting! I eagerly wait the final showdown between America and Drakia!

Thank you! The First Draco-American War is on its way.

I'm getting vibes of the Purge and the New Founding Fathers

BLESSED BE DRAKIA, A NATION REBORN!

Can you guess what the official greeting of the Societists is?;)

wait goiesm? How in the world do they win if they don’t believe in manfructorty or cities? How in the world did they win if they constantly relied on the countryside for support? With no support in the cities, no way to get weapons. how in the world did they take over all of Russia?

Numbers, in the case of Russia leadership, and they're fine with essential military industries. They weren't dismantling any manufacturing during the Russian Civil war after all.

So, basically Russia became "Democratic Kampuchea" on a much larger scale?

Essentially.

I take it the best OTL analogy for radical Geoism is Maoism sans the trappings of Marxism?

As @Whiteshore and @Indicus pointed out they're based on the Khmer Rouge, but seeing as Pol Pot was inspired by Maoism you're not far off.

Speaking of no manufactory.

From the standpoint of Drakia, where are the industrialized areas of Drakia? (the equivalent of the Rhine or the North American Mid-atlantic/Industrial Midwest). In a war of 20th Century technology, the ability to create lots of Steel will be key and I don't know outside of OTL South Africa they exist (and even in South Africa, I don't believe the Coal and Iron ore exists in the amounts that it does in Drakia's enemies. Also in a WWII situation, Oil will be critical. The Drakia do have OTL's Arabia, I believe, but that is *very* bombable from OTL Persia (by those standards the oil for the 3R in Romania was relatively inaccessible.

I presume that the area that has the highest population density of whites iTTL will basically run along the coast from OTL Kenya to OTL Namibia. (I have no idea on Madagascar)

This set off a great discussion that actually increased my knowledge. The Drakian industrial belt is centered in South Africa, but extends into Mozambique, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Zambia. As others have mentioned iron ore isn't a problem, but while there is sizeable coal production in that part of Africa, it's not as substantial as in the United States. Drakia has coped with this by supplementing coal with charcoal (plenty of forests in Africa to chop down) and through the early adoption of petroleum for transportation and heating. They have begun to exploit the Angolan oil fields and have a pretty extensive rail network across Africa.

Great update! One thing I think is interesting is that a politician in the US TTL trying to make a name and simply explain the scary new ideologies could make a spectrum based on the hierarchy of needs, with each building on and refining the hierarchy. "What is the most important thing in life?"
  • Geoists- "Land!" (Physiological)*
  • Societists- "Hierarchy!" (Safety/Belonging)**
  • Fascists- "Rights and stuff!" (Esteem/Actualization)***
*but scary
**but eeeeeviiiiiillllll
***obviously the best, guys

Thanks, I like your analysis of the ideologies!

After all those Geosist shenanigans, it will probably take at least few decades until Russia is recovered enough to play great power games again. I personally like to argue though that being a great power involves other things too than just raw military and economic numbers and a country can play a larger role in the international system than it "should" be able to, like you can see with Putin's Russia or Mussolini's Italy before the WW2 for example, but the country is certainly in a greatly weakened state at the moment and needs time to recover. Did more nations splinter off from Russia during the Second Civil War?

The Ukraine broke off, so did most of Central Asia. Russia held on to the Caucus and Armenia though. I'll show it in the next map.

Tyranny, Tyranny never changes... (yes I ripped that off from Fallout, its a damn good line so dont shoot me)

I'm going to quote Watchmen at least once in this TL. You're welcome to try and shoot me when that happens.:p

This is utterly horrific, bringing the fury of Lenin but adding a good hardy dose of Mao...This divison between Farmers and Urban people (who will turn Utopian most likely in a self fuffilling prophecy) plus the Discontent most likely coming from groups who still like old society (people still loyal to Rome,people connected to old buissnesses and the like) is likely to bring a second civil war...Not good for spain at all

And unlike the spanish the Russians go full Pol Pot... these people should get a reward for being even more stupid then Stalin, Crippling Russia and killing millions out of no greater purpose than Ideological Zeal...Great work you blood thirsty ninkinpoos... Honestly dont know if Russia deserves this, given how France and Italy got off easier with the same and worse rolls...

This wasn't directly in response to the dice rolls- I've been foreshadowing a worse-than-OTL revolution in Russia for a while now.

Good to see the NOT!CIA getting a good tutelage in Clandestine ratfucking. Hopefully they will take the lessons well and apply them on the right side more often than not...

No stupid virus ITTL, even if the American people aren't up to a total war to invade Africa atm there are still people keeping a close eye on Drakia and doing what they can to sabotage the Country of the Dragon.

Divide and Conquer is too Damn effectivee.. Stil love the Trouble that the Draka have brewed them sleves for later, you have just armed millions of People whose only reason to fowllow you is fear,either of enslavement from you or Rwanda style murder by the Bondsmen... if they ever think that the Draka are weak enough they can just up and leave. For that matter all the new citizens are going to have a interesting intergration process...wonder how much they will like the entire eugenics craziness....

Mmm. Quite so.

So lawrance of Arabia Types? That would be fun to see...

Well they weren't working for any foreign governments really, but something like that.

This really just drives home how much the Draka have screwed africa... Even when they collapsed they will already of destroyed too much for it ever to be whole again.

You can bring down authoritarian governments but the legacy of their rule takes ages to heal if it ever does.

Another perdiction Im counting in the win box, These guys have pretty much transitoned into Sparta by now.

And democracy dies with a wave of cheers. Does raise some more interesting questions, do the societists consider all the people that Saxon included in Honorary citizen to be worthy of Aspiration...I could see them wanting to stab some, say groups like the Indian Muslims, right in the back...

You've had good guesses.;) Thus far Stoker is pragmatic enough to accept the Honorary Citizens inducted by Saxon- they need them to keep the Empire stable. Not that they will be any freer than anyone else under the regime.

1. I’m thinking that the story of one of those Lawrence of Arabia types could be made into a movie after the Societist regime falls in Drakia.
  2. I like the name “Empire of Drakia” more than “Domination of Draka”. While the rest of the world and we the audience can see that they’re tyrannical assholes it’s more realistic for the Drakians themselves to delude themselves into thinking that they’re working for The Greater Good.

1. Good idea.:cool:
2. Thank you, that was my thought.

Indiana Beach Crow

Monthly Donor
I'm going to quote Watchmen at least once in this TL. You're welcome to try and shoot me when that happens.:p

One artist's impression of the shooting:
watchmenbulletcatch.jpg

So on the balance most actual threats to the new Drakian regime have passed, but that doesn't mean that the elites and supporting classes of Drakia suddenly stop feelings psychologically unsafe what with the economy left in ruins and the still out there diehards acting as brigand-heroes to the Bonded and as terrorists to the planters. It seems that far from it's days with Naldorssen's ode to the dominion, the living political Societism would by its promise of a perfected harmonious world at the end of the road in many ways make the blunt argument that the more Societist policies are enacted and the less """parasites""" and """international geoists"""" are able to sabotage Drakia then the more food would be on the table. After all what kind of divine order has (white) citizens that earn a shitty wage for a shitty job in a shitty one-horse town while having to deal with a shitty drill sergeant every Saturday and on Sunday a shitty fire-and-brimstone preacher that lectures on drinking and dancing and not donating enough to the boys in Sudan?

While none of this would would matter in the ways of like even a semi-democracy, in a totalitarian society the regime fears the appearance of weakness enough that public discontent and illegitimacy matters even then, within context. It would be generally a lot more arcane and pointless then just having people participate in electoral and representational politics and it thus would frequently miss the mark and be out of touch, but on some level the Societists would be themselves molded by the fact that after years and years of warfare and the practical breakdown of antebellum Drakian life, Drakians just don't want to be some soulless metal kingdom or soulless metal people. Now the common schmuck would only articulate this as "things going back to normal like the good ol' days" but in truth when they say they want things to go back to normal, what they mean is that they want safety and prosperity. Societist thought lends itself to the promise of that, much like how Hilter and Mussolini would describe agriculture in very macho, militaristic terms and try to make themselves autarkic so as to not suffer from the famines of the Great War's blockades and the Great Depression. Societists would likewise call for wars on heat and energy, wars on transportation, wars on industry. Here is the battleground for which Societist *Ras bosses are able to intrigue to build the biggest patronage networks (or, "criminal gangs"). For which newly enfoeffed non-white citizens are able to survive the reactionary purge and collaborate with the completely unhindered exploitation of Drakia. For which wings of the one-party state will be able to take credit for and cash in on the increasingly industrialized and professionalized environment from which Draki's recovery would eventually emerge, no thanks to Societism's actually shallow, wasteful, and counterproductive polices.

Very much not a new Sparta. At least, not yet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

From the standpoint of Drakia, where are the industrialized areas of Drakia?
Probably the Limpopo River basin. Its got iron, coal, decently easy to transport IIRC and was a historical zone for white settlers. At the same time, Zimbabwe and Mozambique are excellent breadbaskets which the slaves will provide cheap corn, rice, and wheat for the industrial proletariat.

The Cape and Luanda might be secondary centers of manufacturing in shipbuilding and light industry. Angola IIRC has a ton of minerals that can easily be shipped south for processing.

Probably the Limpopo River basin. Its got iron, coal, decently easy to transport IIRC and was a historical zone for white settlers. At the same time, Zimbabwe and Mozambique are excellent breadbaskets which the slaves will provide cheap corn, rice, and wheat for the industrial proletariat.

The Cape and Luanda might be secondary centers of manufacturing in shipbuilding and light industry. Angola IIRC has a ton of minerals that can easily be shipped south for processing.

That makes sense. But I really can't see areas north of Zimbabwe becoming additional industrial areas in the way that say Oakland, California or Seattle did.

The issue is getting the rail network in the areas which they just grabbed from the British. For their own defense, they need a rail system across Africa by 1940 that *dwarfs* what OTL Africa has in *2019*. Yes, slaves can be used for this, but there are definitely limits.
For OTL, I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union_of_Railways#/media/File:Africa_railway_map_gauge.jpg , it probably doesn't include all of the smaller lines, but appears to cover the major ones. There is *one* way to cross Africa East to West north of the South African border (Angola into the southern DRC, Zambia and Tanzania.) and as far as I can tell, the *only* two nations on the Atantic coast of Africa that have a rail route between them are South Africa and Namibia. Going across North Africa is a little better, except for the gigantic hole that is Libya...

I believe that iOTL, the largest land area conquered in a single war and kept was the gains in the US/Mexican War and the largest conquered and not kept may have been the German gains in WWII. I believe that the Draka just gained an area even larger than the German gains in WWII. (I'm excluding wars of Independence, here) (Even though the US Gained OTL Canada, the Canadian War only represented conquest of about a third of the land of Canada with the Hudson Bay Company still British at that point)

Besides, there’s a Spanish “Taiwan” in the Caribbean to flee to AFAIK

A thought, with Societism's/*Fascism's cult of personality and cult of action and the build up of a totalitarian regime the new Drakian party leaders/dictators may be actually in a kind of " only Nixon can go to China" moment. Their ilk would successfully poison any attempts by the military junta or by the high church or catholic Drakian heresies (being some of the few means of political expression left), but with the pedigree of a solid party thug suddenly things like striking Yankee business deals (like we struck with the Soviets or with the pre-war Nazis) or putting in place bullshit half-measures to tap down on the obvious bits of opression that are in the newspapers, become actually possible. Do some of that good old nonsense like "the children of Bonded Labor would be gradually emancipated, meaning they won't be legally Bonded but nothing else" and "must have thus much money and property and pass these rigged tests to actually become a National" and "all these new landless indigent people will be set up in ghettos and bantulands all to help benefit and slowly civilize these wretches"

Last edited:
I'm afraid there will need to be a brief hiatus- work has been particularly busy lately and Rosh Hashanah is this weekend- so the next chapter will be a bit delayed. Chapter 17 will address the American New Order for the Ages, and its... issues.

I'm afraid there will need to be a brief hiatus- work has been particularly busy lately and Rosh Hashanah is this weekend- so the next chapter will be a bit delayed. Chapter 17 will address the American New Order for the Ages, and its... issues.
Well, quality takes time. This whole story has taken on a life of its own in many ways, so seeing it develop naturally will take a lot of thought and consideration (and writing).

Speaking of no manufactory.

From the standpoint of Drakia, where are the industrialized areas of Drakia? (the equivalent of the Rhine or the North American Mid-atlantic/Industrial Midwest). In a war of 20th Century technology, the ability to create lots of Steel will be key and I don't know outside of OTL South Africa they exist (and even in South Africa, I don't believe the Coal and Iron ore exists in the amounts that it does in Drakia's enemies. Also in a WWII situation, Oil will be critical. The Drakia do have OTL's Arabia, I believe, but that is *very* bombable from OTL Persia (by those standards the oil for the 3R in Romania was relatively inaccessible.

I presume that the area that has the highest population density of whites iTTL will basically run along the coast from OTL Kenya to OTL Namibia. (I have no idea on Madagascar)

This made me realize you could have Drakia being a pretty accurate analog to America, just location-wise... here's a map to show what I mean.

drakiaus.png

On the map we have:

Red: South (analog: east) Coast. The location of initial white settlement, the oldest buildings are here. Historical part of Drakia. This is the nucleus of the Drakian nation, from where it expanded north (analog: west)

Yellow: The Midnorth (analog: the Midwest). Lots of industry in this area; the climate is relatively more favorable to white people than many parts of Drakia.

Pink/magenta: The West (analog: the South). Relatively poorer, and the climate is more hostile to white people. The economy in this area is more agricultural, based on slave serf labor.

Orange: The Great Plains.

Blue: Sahara Desert (analog: Rocky Mountains). Difficult to get through, few people.

And finally,
Green: The North Coast (analog: West Coast). This coastal area is far from the original Drakian heartland, but has a good climate and a rapidly-growing economy. The western (analog: southern) end of it, Morocco (analog: southern California), has a large Spanish-speaking population. All in all, it's the second main center of the Drakian economy: the magenta, orange, and blue areas are just "flyover country". People get from the South Coast and the Midnorth to the North Coast via transcontinental railways.

Pink/magenta: The West (analog: the South). Relatively poorer, and the climate is more hostile to white people. The economy in this area is more agricultural, based on slave serf labor.

I think there might be some exceptions in this zone. BlondieBC's old WWI timeline had him discuss the viability of post-war German settlement in Angola. He singled out a rectangular zone stretching roughly from Canama in the southwest to Luremo in the northeast to be promising. Higher than the malarial zones, sufficient rain and soil quality, and a lot of rivers that can be dammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.