does anyone have a worlda of the us at like 1854? aka after the western territories were established, but before the civil war

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a cover of RvBOMally's scenario The Paradox Wars, in which the Spanish Republic has collapsed into several small statelets following a civil war in the 1930s. I need flags for these states. To aid you I will briefly list off these states and their ideologies, and you can use that as a basis to create flags. Or, if you think I should reuse an existing flag, please state what flag I should repurpose. Thanks!

Free City of Madrid
A neutral zone.

Kingdom of Spain
Based in Asturias. A Bourbon constitutional monarchy.

Spanish State
Based in Castile and Leon. A fascist autocracy.

Empire of Spain
Based in Valencia. A Carlist absolute monarchy.

Spanish Confederation
Based in Extremadura. A reactionary autocracy.

Spanish Third Republic
Based in Toledo. A militarist democracy.

Spanish Second Republic
Based in Aragon. A Trotskyist autocracy.

Spanish Soviet Republic
Based in Andalusia. A Stalinist autocracy.

Spanish commune
Based in Murcia. An anarcho-syndicalist state.

FYI, all of these states (sans Madrid) claim to be the legitimate government of all of Spain.

1: otl flag of Madrid. (Coat of arms on red field)
2: otl flag of Spain
3: otl flag of Spain under Franco or the red-black-red Falangist party flag
4: Burgundy Cross, maybe defaced by sacred heart (or defaced with that otl Carlist Spanish CoA defaced with the sacred heart)
5: not sure but maybe the original nationalist flag? (Red-gold-red but with the same CoA as the Republican flag)
6: perhaps red-gold-purple with no CoA?
7: otl red-gold-purple flag
8: red-gold-purple but with the tri-star instead of CoA
9: CNT-FAI flag?

1: otl flag of Madrid. (Coat of arms on red field)
2: otl flag of Spain
3: otl flag of Spain under Franco or the red-black-red Falangist party flag
4: Burgundy Cross, maybe defaced by sacred heart (or defaced with that otl Carlist Spanish CoA defaced with the sacred heart)
5: not sure but maybe the original nationalist flag? (Red-gold-red but with the same CoA as the Republican flag)
6: perhaps red-gold-purple with no CoA?
7: otl red-gold-purple flag
8: red-gold-purple but with the tri-star instead of CoA
9: CNT-FAI flag?
I'd reverse 6 & 7 so the 2nd Rep has the original plain tricolour while the 3rd adds the arms.

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a cover of RvBOMally's scenario The Paradox Wars, in which the Spanish Republic has collapsed into several small statelets following a civil war in the 1930s. I need flags for these states. To aid you I will briefly list off these states and their ideologies, and you can use that as a basis to create flags. Or, if you think I should reuse an existing flag, please state what flag I should repurpose. Thanks!

Free City of Madrid
A neutral zone.

Kingdom of Spain

Spanish State

Empire of Spain

Spanish Confederation

Spanish Third Republic
Based in Toledo. A militarist democracy.

Spanish Second Republic
Based in Aragon. A Trotskyist autocracy.

Spanish Soviet Republic
Based in Andalusia. A Stalinist autocracy.

Spanish commune
Based in Murcia. An anarcho-syndicalist state.

Spanish Third Republic
combining a monarchist era design with republican colours and crown
alt-3rdrep.png

Spanish Second Republic
OTL second republic flag with a star replacing the COA
alt-2ndrep.png

Spanish Soviet Republic
Uses a flag based on the Spanish Communist Party flag but replacing the party initials with RSE ("Republica Sovietica de España")
RSA.jpg

Spanish commune
the logo at the upper hoist is a simplified version of the the one used by the Spanish Regional Federation of the International Workingmen's Association which eventually became the CNT
anarcsynd.jpg

Hello everyone,

Free City of Madrid
A neutral zone.

Kingdom of Spain

Spanish State

Empire of Spain

Spanish Confederation

Free City of Madrid
a banner of arms of the city's COA
madrid.png

Kingdom of Spain
based on the national flag used before 1931
bourbon.png

Spanish State
based of the flag of the falange but retaining the spanish pale
falange.png

Empire of Spain
a cross of burgundy with a sacred heart symbol in the middle
carlists.png

Spanish Confederation
based on the logo used by CEDA
ceda.png

Spanish Third Republic
combining a monarchist era design with republican colours and crown
View attachment 633171

Spanish Second Republic
OTL second republic flag with a star replacing the COA
View attachment 633170

Spanish Soviet Republic
Uses a flag based on the Spanish Communist Party flag but replacing the party initials with RSE ("Republica Sovietica de España")
View attachment 633159

Spanish commune
the logo at the upper hoist is a simplified version of the the one used by the Spanish Regional Federation of the International Workingmen's Association which eventually became the CNT
View attachment 633164
I love these flags, it something on the Spanish Soviet Republic caught my eye- the Hammer and sickle looks like an ‘A’ and with the letters underneath my mind went to ‘Arse’

I love these flags, it something on the Spanish Soviet Republic caught my eye- the Hammer and sickle looks like an ‘A’ and with the letters underneath my mind went to ‘Arse’
Once seen, cannot be unseen x'D But it's totally appropriate to the period, I can't see the Soviet handlers realising what it means in only some dialects of English and ameliorating that unintended result.

MotaJim

Banned
Need flags for a Hohenzollern Spain and help with imperialist alliance in India. (I want to add a burmese peacock to the flag but am not good at resizing shit)
1615817880592.png

Need flags for a Hohenzollern Spain and help with imperialist alliance in India. (I want to add a burmese peacock to the flag but am not good at resizing shit) View attachment 633462

To me, it look less like an alliance and more like the UK annexing a bunch of colonies. Maybe instead of adding symbols to represent each component, have a single symbol to represent the alliance as a whole.

I was recently reading Mr Sobel's FOR WANT OF A NAIL and it occurred to me to wonder what the colours of a regiment in service to the Confederation of North America might look like - given that while the nation in question enjoyed the status of a British Dominion (as per Canada in our timeline), it was sufficiently populous, restive & established enough to have it's own ideas of how to do things at a time when colours were still carried into battle.

Given that the C.N.A. is generally presumed to use the Grand Union/'Jack & Stripes' as its national flag (based on the book's cover) - although I tend to imagine the local version as having fewer stripes (presumably indicating the current number of sub-confederations) and using a version of the Union Jack that includes St Patrick's cross - I was wondering if the default format of the Regimental colour should feature stripes in the canton to signify that this was a North American, rather than a British standard (while still using British regimental standards of the era as a guide r.e. format).

May I please ask if this sounds plausible and/or attractive?

I was recently reading Mr Sobel's FOR WANT OF A NAIL and it occurred to me to wonder what the colours of a regiment in service to the Confederation of North America might look like - given that while the nation in question enjoyed the status of a British Dominion (as per Canada in our timeline), it was sufficiently populous, restive & established enough to have it's own ideas of how to do things at a time when colours were still carried into battle.

Given that the C.N.A. is generally presumed to use the Grand Union/'Jack & Stripes' as its national flag (based on the book's cover) - although I tend to imagine the local version as having fewer stripes (presumably indicating the current number of sub-confederations) and using a version of the Union Jack that includes St Patrick's cross - I was wondering if the default format of the Regimental colour should feature stripes in the canton to signify that this was a North American, rather than a British standard (while still using British regimental standards of the era as a guide r.e. format).

May I please ask if this sounds plausible and/or attractive?
Probably not stripes but some sort of symbol. Maple leaf perhaps?

I appreciate the thought, but it struck me that a Maple Leaf might be a tad TOO 'Canada' rather than 'North America' (I'm tempted to suggest an oak leaf, with it's connection to the Royal Oak and to the US Army insignia for major, as being a more 'Anglo-American' symbol). Having done some research, it seems that the Army flags for Commonwealth Realms (as opposed to Commonwealth Republics) tend to feature some part of the national flag in the canton, hence my suggestion of using the stripes from the Grand Union flag (rather than the Union Jack) as a way of indicating a certain independent-mindedness in the C.N.A.

It also bears mentioning that a regimental flag of the vintage I'm thinking about - the early to mid 19th Century - assuming that flag followed the British pattern, would have a wreath of roses, thistles & shamrocks in the field (so putting something like a maple leaf in the canton might be a trifle redundant).

Thank You for your contribution. :)

Probably not stripes but some sort of symbol. Maple leaf perhaps?

On a tangentially-related note, I've also become very fond of 'doodling' in the setting of Mr Harry Turtledove's ATLANTIS novels, and one of the elements in that setting is a body of water called the Hesperean Gulf (which sits between the Island Continent of Atlantis and what we would call North America): the local version of British North America (here 'Terranova') seems to follow the shore of this gulf, so it seems logical to assume that local classics scholars would be eager to borrow the Apples of the Hesperides as an element of local/national symbolism.

My question is, would local flags use apple leaves or apple blossom in symbolic wreaths? (Possibly adding apple blossom to the usual British wreath of roses, thistles and shamrocks). Or might they prefer to show apples growing out of one of those wreaths?

Here's another thought - would Old Glory work as well if the stripes were in the canton and the stars were in the field?

MotaJim

Banned
To me, it look less like an alliance and more like the UK annexing a bunch of colonies. Maybe instead of adding symbols to represent each component, have a single symbol to represent the alliance as a whole.
Well that's what they basically did, france fell to the communards in 1870 and the portugese revolution happened during ww1 and disrupted the allied war effort, leading Britain to acknowledge the African based Lusitanian government in exile and coopt the asiatic holdings.

On a tangentially-related note, I've also become very fond of 'doodling' in the setting of Mr Harry Turtledove's ATLANTIS novels, and one of the elements in that setting is a body of water called the Hesperean Gulf (which sits between the Island Continent of Atlantis and what we would call North America): the local version of British North America (here 'Terranova') seems to follow the shore of this gulf, so it seems logical to assume that local classics scholars would be eager to borrow the Apples of the Hesperides as an element of local/national symbolism.

My question is, would local flags use apple leaves or apple blossom in symbolic wreaths? (Possibly adding apple blossom to the usual British wreath of roses, thistles and shamrocks). Or might they prefer to show apples growing out of one of those wreaths?
That's a good idea actually.
Here's another thought - would Old Glory work as well if the stripes were in the canton and the stars were in the field?
Not for a British "Dominion", recall those are based on a British ensign. It's why the US replaced the canton to signify independence.

OTL, british regiments' King/Queen Colours are a squarish version of the union jack with a regimental badge in the middle and battle honours in scroll around it.

In Australia, since there is a union jack in canton and, technically speaking, the union jack is meant to represent the monarch, the badge is not put in the center of the colour but in the center of the canton.

Using that logic, If the CNA uses a flag with a union jack in canton, chances are that it would would use a similar design as Australia.

alt-colours.jpg