My bet is civil war between the Black Hundreds (slightly less incompetent than OTL Whites, thanks to a bit more time to recover from war, and more time to build up non-government institutions?) and the Soviets, with the Monarchies of Europe providing effective aid to the Black Hundreds after Hungary collapses.

My bet is civil war between the Black Hundreds (slightly less incompetent than OTL Whites, thanks to a bit more time to recover from war, and more time to build up non-government institutions?) and the Soviets, with the Monarchies of Europe providing effective aid to the Black Hundreds after Hungary collapses.
Problem here being that anastasia is advocating for a Romanov Restoration. If the Black Hundreds were in charge, theyd find some reactionary relative to be Tzar.

Problem here being that anastasia is advocating for a Romanov Restoration. If the Black Hundreds were in charge, theyd find some reactionary relative to be Tzar.
But maybe that someone is slightly far enough removed to be called a different dynasty... ;)

Sure initially they probably go for a Romanov, but if that Romanov dies while the real commander has some distant link to the throne, might that someone simply assume effective power and just get crowned after the war is over - hence the Romanov Restoration movement being kind of like a Bourbon restoration movement in 1840's France.

I meant the first French Revolution.
I knew, I was joking.
In Lvov's martial law declaration, Volgograd should be Tsaritsyn.
Of course! Don't know how I forgot that one-- will fix later.
But maybe that someone is slightly far enough removed to be called a different dynasty... ;)

Sure initially they probably go for a Romanov, but if that Romanov dies while the real commander has some distant link to the throne, might that someone simply assume effective power and just get crowned after the war is over - hence the Romanov Restoration movement being kind of like a Bourbon restoration movement in 1840's France.
Now that is an interesting possibility indeed...

Xenia and husband flee, and lvov continues to rule 'in her name', since she signed that paper, so don't even have to be a republic, more a ghost monarchy (monarchy in name only).
and misrule will cause a reaction, leading to lvov being even more paranoid leading to more misrule and a dictatorship
So doing an Admiral Horthy?

Simply put, how does Lenin somehow manage to make the reader root for him, despite knowing better?
When your opponent is the Tsarist regime, and you're as good a speaker as Lenin...
If there's no viable reactionary to hand, they could, as been pointed out, end up being proto-fascist, taking the monarchy out of Orthodoxy, Autocracy and Nationality and just going straight dictatorship.

How is Italy doing in the post-war era? I would assume that while Cardona is still a hated man, the country is jubilant at their gains
Almost certainly so; the only piece of irredentist territory left is Tirol, but I suspect only the die-hard Italian nationalists care. Most would probably wave it off considering the German majority there, especially when the Italians have Trentino, Trieste, and Albania, turning the Adriatic into an Italian lake. They also have Nice, Savoy, and Corsica, and occupy more French territory up to the Rhone. With Malta and Tunisia, the Straits of Sicily are fully under Italian control. They also have an expanded East African Empire, between Eritrea and all of Somalia. Libya has also made modest gains.

Yes, Italy certainly has taken her own place in the Sun.

Almost certainly so; the only piece of irredentist territory left is Tirol, but I suspect only the die-hard Italian nationalists care. Most would probably wave it off considering the German majority there, especially when the Italians have Trentino, Trieste, and Albania, turning the Adriatic into an Italian lake. They also have Nice, Savoy, and Corsica, and occupy more French territory up to the Rhone. With Malta and Tunisia, the Straits of Sicily are fully under Italian control. They also have an expanded East African Empire, between Eritrea and all of Somalia. Libya has also made modest gains.

Yes, Italy certainly has taken her own place in the Sun.
I could see a form of neo-Roman symbolism being used greatly in Italy, as well as the resources of their new colonial empire being used to really build up their army and navy