Status
Not open for further replies.
8JeHhh0.png

Good work on the USSR Election, keep up the good work

With the Commonwealth Games ending in Australia today, is there a Commonwealth Games ITL?

The basic premise in the 1950s/1960s is that the Labour government under Nash never collapses in the 1960 elections, but virtue of there never being a "Black Budget." In general, the post-war consensus of Attlee & Co. remains strong across not only the United Kingdom but the Commonwealth as well. The economies of OFC during this period are slightly more advanced and wealthier than OTL, giving the Labour Government less of a gap in spending to plug. New Zealand's export market was very strong, still exporting to Britain and the Commonwealth on a very favourable basis. While there is still a need to increase some taxes, it was just seen as another run of the mill increase, coupled with the popular increases in social security benefits.

This allowed Labour to win the 1960 election by a small amount, and Nash continued as Prime Minister. Holyoake would still go on to win the 1963 election, but he would only win it by a few seats, leaving the two roughly evenly matched in the House. Holyoake would continue on in 1966 election, but would lose in 1969 to Nordmeyer. Known for his religious views, he couched accepting the African diaspora (in the late 1960s, this was limited to the White African diaspora) in religious terms and to provide for the social welfare of all people. With the door opened, this eventually led to the acceptance of Black Africans in the 1970s at the urging of the British. It is also worth noting that the Commonwealth Constitution, of which New Zealand was party to in the 1960s, allowed for relatively open inter-Empire immigration.

MMP was introduced much in a similar way in New Zealand. While there was no Thatcher or Reagan, there were similar politicians who pledged to smash the old order (again, of Attlee & Co.) who came along and brought a giant hammer to the delicate economies of many western countries. What resulted was a pretty dramatic falling off the cliff for a bunch of countries as they saw deficits explode, and everyone run around with more money in their pockets, but suddenly less services. MMP comes around during this time period when everyone has nothing but contempt in their hearts for the people who decided to fireball their economies.

The best way to understand why Commonwealth countries have low income inequality is because they represent the "middle" Superpower between the left-Communist of the Soviet Union and the right-Liberalism of the United States. They pride income equality, services to the poor and downtrodden, as well as high taxes on higher earners, but also creating an environment where high earners can flourish.

I will re-work the numbers on the Maori population, they should be about the same as OTL. I think some wires got crossed in my spreadsheet. Watch out for an update on that part. As for the African population, there's roughly 15-25 million people from southern Africa who are refugees in either other African nations or outside of Africa alone. Tiny New Zealand garnered a bunch of them.

Edit: It's been fixed. The 'exact' breakdown is below:

3,257,602 European
753,485 Maori
439,174 African (incl. White & mixed)
156,784 (Other)

I'm glad the irony isn't lost on anyone else.

Dave's redistricting when it works (it often doesn't), but I have a map of every town and city in New England (linked elsewhere), and I have the population of each municipality. I just mix and match until I get the right number. OTL Atlantic Canada I have a special formula for.

Thanks for clarifying. Again, you have a great timeline here keep up the work!

VT45

Banned
What’s the space program like? Do Commonwealth nations have a unified space program? What are the current spacefaring nations, and how far have they gotten?

Could you imagine a Soviet Politics thread? That would be funny to see.

Glory to communism!

All that deface communism in this chat will be put on a hitlist! Russian citizens must be fully supportive of the communist party on this chat and must NOT make jokes about famine, war, Germans or glorious leader Mikhail Gorbachev!

And so on and so forth.

Could you imagine a Soviet Politics thread? That would be funny to see.

Glory to communism!

All that deface communism in this chat will be put on a hitlist! Russian citizens must be fully supportive of the communist party on this chat and must NOT make jokes about famine, war, Germans or glorious leader Mikhail Gorbachev!

And so on and so forth.

a0d0aa510e08ff5c18dcdba83c461ea3.jpg

You have been banned from the Official Soviet Politics Thread XVII: The One Where We Get Bread

Gian

Banned
Well, looks to be some "interesting times" (in the Chinese sense) coming for the Evil Empire*

*even though it kind of isn't now in this world.

Thankfully it seems that Zyuganov lost, I can't imagine him winning would have been good for anyone.

I also noticed that Bolsonaro seems to be on the way out, hopefully it stays that way.

Hmm... seems that Ukrainian flag holds a special meaning ITTL. If that's so, I'd like to know more about this. Especially about these two musicians - both were involved in incidents with Ukrainian symbols. (And also because I'm a fan of both.)

With the recent news regarding Barbara in OTL, have they gone through the same heath decline in your TL, @Kanan?

Sadly, yes.

And just as a note to everyone, that election was exhausting to do, I'm sure it didn't seem like much but wow my weekend was busy. There probably won't be any updates this week until maybe the weekend. I hope you all don't mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.