Status
Not open for further replies.
And just as a note to everyone, that election was exhausting to do, I'm sure it didn't seem like much but wow my weekend was busy. There probably won't be any updates this week until maybe the weekend. I hope you all don't mind!

Given that it will take us about a week to cool down from all of that awesome, that's fine. :biggrin:

Sadly, yes.

And just as a note to everyone, that election was exhausting to do, I'm sure it didn't seem like much but wow my weekend was busy. There probably won't be any updates this week until maybe the weekend. I hope you all don't mind!
I feel spoiled already by this timeline, so I can at least speak for myself and say that after an election unfolding in real time no updates for a week is a fair trade off. :)

VT45

Banned
Sadly, yes.

That’s okay. It’ll give me time to get some updates out for my TL over in FH. If you haven’t checked it out yet, please come on over!

Sure. Take your time. Your work is already amazing enough that I lack words to describe its awesomeness. I'll be desperately waiting!

Also, I once did a red-tinted version of Channel One (Russia's biggest TV network) logo that might come in handy...
otlcOVHtstk.jpg

So I was listening to a song by Noize MC (a Russian rapper whom I already brought up) and that got me thinking about something.

The song in question:

My rough translation of the lyrics:
Verse 1:
I haven't come out of my home for ten years already,
Kitchen, hall, guest room, storage, bedroom, toilet.
I take out the trash - I leave the bag near the apartment's door,
Then I hear a noise during the night - I don't go to see it, but it disappears in the morning.

Too lazy to figure out where the food in fridge comes from,
Too lazy to wake up, too lazy to lie in bed like a seal the whole day
Kitchen, toilet, guest room, storage, bedroom, hall,
There goes: Let Them Talk, Comedy Club, commercials, Fashion Sentence (these are all Russian TV shows)

Chorus:
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - nothing new,
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - talking heads.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Verse 2:
Freak in the mirror - beard full of crumbs, shirt's covered in heck knows what...
I never leave my home - time doesn't flow.
Time is not like water, time is like ice or rubber,
My apartment is a spacecraft crawling into nowhere, and I'm flying on it.

Rap verse:
As a kid, I used to dream of being a cosmonaut,
Dressing in my overalls, I imagined wearing a spacesuit,
Digging my shovel into the ground, I quite clearly
Pictured taking samples of alien soil.

On winter evenings, in the clear cold sky,
I would draw tracks among the stars with my eyes,
And if the aliens abducted me back then,
I would only worry that my parents would shout at me

When I'll come back with an implant in my skull,
Into the world without fantasy and esoterics...
Years have passed, and they didn't fly for me
Instead of spacesuit - training pants, instead of anabiosis - TV.

Chorus

Verse 3:
Later someone will turn that chatter off for me,
Forcefully unclench my numb hand with the remote,
Look at the time, write the record and zip the sack -
That's it, I've flown there, I'm so far away, I feel so good!

The new inhabitants will renovate the flat, make it cosy,
Children will look at the stars here and dream,
They will talk about how lucky they would be
If one day, a UFO would come for them from the sky.

Chorus:
Nothing new, nothing new...

It's originally a song about the lazy lifestyle lead by many Russian people. Procrastination and dreaming. However, in a surviving USSR, it might take a different meaning.

See, the communist regimes (especially USSR) had a tradition of promising changes and then not changing anything. So, switch some lyrics, and you get a song which asks "You promised a change - where is it?", with "talking heads" referring to the Soviet higher-ups. I can pucture it being sung by protesters with a clear message... (The song itself is from 2014.)

That joint Israeli-South African space program has some worrying implications. Can I ask what is the status of their foreign relations to each other.

(snip)
I lied. I had this 75% finished before I decided to sit out for a week. I finished it and am now going to take that break I said I would.

Funny how you post it right after I brought up a song that tackles the dreams of space. ;-)

Anyway, great work again. As I said, take your time.

(I'd really want to hear your opinion on my Talking Heads idea...)

That joint Israeli-South African space program has some worrying implications. Can I ask what is the status of their foreign relations to each other.

Well, let's just say if someone used the term "Axis of Evil" it would be centred around Jerusalem and Pretoria.

@Kanan has anyone walked on the Moon ITTL?

Yes! Many times. Apollo 13 in 1972 landed the first humans on the moon (James Lovell, Alfred Worden - with Eugene Cernan in the CSM). The United States would follow this with Apollo 14, Apollo 15, Apollo 16, Apollo 17, Apollo 18, Apollo 19, Apollo 20, Apollo 21, Apollo 23, Apollo 24, Apollo 25, and Apollo 27. Currently, Exploration Mission 3 (Michael Hopkins, Karen Nyberg, Victor Glover, and Thomas Marshburn) and is on its way to the moon (and is expected to enter Lunar orbit later today) and, if successful, it will mark the first time three Americans have walked on the moon, and the second moon walk by a female astronaut.

The Soviet Union has landed on the moon six times (Luna 26, Luna 29, Luna 35, Luna 44, Luna 51, Luna 53).

The United Kingdom has landed on the moon once (Darwin 11).

Each of these missions has had moon walks.

Funny how you post it right after I brought up a song that tackles the dreams of space. ;-)

Anyway, great work again. As I said, take your time.

(I'd really want to hear your opinion on my Talking Heads idea...)

So I was listening to a song by Noize MC (a Russian rapper whom I already brought up) and that got me thinking about something.

The song in question:

My rough translation of the lyrics:
Verse 1:
I haven't come out of my home for ten years already,
Kitchen, hall, guest room, storage, bedroom, toilet.
I take out the trash - I leave the bag near the apartment's door,
Then I hear a noise during the night - I don't go to see it, but it disappears in the morning.

Too lazy to figure out where the food in fridge comes from,
Too lazy to wake up, too lazy to lie in bed like a seal the whole day
Kitchen, toilet, guest room, storage, bedroom, hall,
There goes: Let Them Talk, Comedy Club, commercials, Fashion Sentence (these are all Russian TV shows)

Chorus:
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Verse 2:
Freak in the mirror - beard full of crumbs, shirt's covered in heck knows what...
I never leave my home - time doesn't flow.
Time is not like water, time is like ice or rubber,
My apartment is a spacecraft crawling into nowhere, and I'm flying on it.

Rap verse:
As a kid, I used to dream of being a cosmonaut,
Dressing in my overalls, I imagined wearing a spacesuit,
Digging my shovel into the ground, I quite clearly
Pictured taking samples of alien soil.

On winter evenings, in the clear cold sky,
I would draw tracks among the stars with my eyes,
And if the aliens abducted me back then,
I would only worry that my parents would shout at me

When I'll come back with an implant in my skull,
Into the world without fantasy and esoterics...
Years have passed, and they didn't fly for me
Instead of spacesuit - training pants, instead of anabiosis - TV.

Chorus

Verse 3:
Later someone will turn that chatter off for me,
Forcefully unclench my numb hand with the remote,
Look at the time, write the record and zip the sack -
That's it, I've flown there, I'm so far away, I feel so good!

The new inhabitants will renovate the flat, make it cosy,
Children will look at the stars here and dream,
They will talk about how lucky they would be
If one day, a UFO would come for them from the sky.

Chorus:
Nothing new, nothing new...

It's originally a song about the lazy lifestyle lead by many Russian people. Procrastination and dreaming. However, in a surviving USSR, it might take a different meaning.

See, the communist regimes (especially USSR) had a tradition of promising changes and then not changing anything. So, switch some lyrics, and you get a song which asks "You promised a change - where is it?", with "talking heads" referring to the Soviet higher-ups. I can pucture it being sung by protesters with a clear message... (The song itself is from 2014.)

OMG I'm so sorry. I do this all the time irl when texting people, I read it, think I respond, forgot I didn't respond and move on! ugh. But yeah! I totally see this as being a protest song in the USSR, where leaders have long promised some social reforms and changes, only to be met with stalling tactics and little real development. Despite the fact the Soviet economy is growing so much, it's unbalanced growth with rural Russia left behind, and smaller cities not privy to the growth (so basically think moscow and st. petersburg-type growth limited to ~30 cities across the entire soviet union, while the rest of the ussr is stagnating).

OMG I'm so sorry. I do this all the time irl when texting people, I read it, think I respond, forgot I didn't respond and move on! ugh. But yeah! I totally see this as being a protest song in the USSR, where leaders have long promised some social reforms and changes, only to be met with stalling tactics and little real development. Despite the fact the Soviet economy is growing so much, it's unbalanced growth with rural Russia left behind, and smaller cities not privy to the growth (so basically think moscow and st. petersburg-type growth limited to ~30 cities across the entire soviet union, while the rest of the ussr is stagnating).

Oh, I see.

On a somewhat related note, here's a thought: given that Turkey is a functioning democracy, and it's (in OTL) a highly popular tourist destination for Russians, is it possible that Turkey can emerge as a go-to place for various immigrants from USSR? A community of Russians in Istanbul existed in the beginning of the twentieth century.

I think you made a mistake somewhere; it says that the 2018 mission is the 'First American lunar landing since 1981', but your list says only the French were doing space stuff in 1981, I think you meant 1971 .. no? :)

It's a list of firsts, and America hadn't done anything important in the last Apollo mission

Status
Not open for further replies.