Status
Not open for further replies.
52nd Ministry of New England
Gl2ADI1.png

This one was a bit of an oversight, I had done the incoming ministry here, but I never did the official version, like I had done for the previous ministries. Hope this clears some things up!

Last edited:
3 things. First off, great work as always! Second, Energy is repeated (both Shea and Kokoruda, who happens to my IOTL state rep by the way, are Minister of Energy?). Finally, what happened to the Transport ministry? Keep up the great work!

I would kinda doubt the Italian popualtion that immigrated to the french and german cantons would keep speaking Italian as their principal day to day language, so unless most of the immigration went to Ticino most Italians would just assimilate, such high number for Italian seems hard to achieve. Despite the official multilingual status at the federal level language is still relatively strict in monolingual cantons, and even in the three bilingual cantons language division are strong between districts, most working only in french or Swiss German, only Bern and Fribourg are effectively bilingual, and these have history of bilingualism behind them.

I can perfectly believe a lot of descendant of Italian migrant would still learn it from their family and community, but they would also speak the local language probably more, a linguistic breakdown out of 100 percent a seems limited in this case.

3 things. First off, great work as always! Second, Energy is repeated (both Shea and Kokoruda, who happens to my IOTL state rep by the way, are Minister of Energy?). Finally, what happened to the Transport ministry? Keep up the great work!

Thanks! There was a minor issue with the naming of the ministries. They have been fixed. Shea is the Energy minister while Kokoruda is the Transportation minister.

I would kinda doubt the Italian popualtion that immigrated to the french and german cantons would keep speaking Italian as their principal day to day language, so unless most of the immigration went to Ticino most Italians would just assimilate, such high number for Italian seems hard to achieve. Despite the official multilingual status at the federal level language is still relatively strict in monolingual cantons, and even in the three bilingual cantons language division are strong between districts, most working only in french or Swiss German, only Bern and Fribourg are effectively bilingual, and these have history of bilingualism behind them.

I can perfectly believe a lot of descendant of Italian migrant would still learn it from their family and community, but they would also speak the local language probably more, a linguistic breakdown out of 100 percent a seems limited in this case.

Linguistic breakdown is probably a poor choice for native language, it is probably the home language only and/or ethno-linguistic makeup. Italians still make up a much large portion of the population, and since a lot of them did come in droves (it was not a slow build up over time, but more that say, Grisons went from 128k people (with 16k italians) to 160k people (with 46k italians) in the course of 5 years. The populations in the cities in other cantons absolutely would be bilingual with the canton's language, and speak Italian only at home, or be the case where the family had spoken Italian but is being lost. An example of this, highlighting what you said, is the districts in Valais would be heavily divided between Italians and French speakers. So the only real massive change here is that Valais has Italian being official (where only Grisons and Tricino iotl have it as official).

edit: unofficially speaking it would look much like this for native, at home, and in public speakers:

b3qAaXh.png

Last edited:
Random question: in any era, did New England ever consider asking for Bermuda? I'm thinking maybe more in the 19th century when fishing interests must have been pretty powerful, but honestly it could be any time. Maybe not in a totally serious way, but in a "let's run it up the flagpole and see if the cat licks it up" sorta way. Newspaper editorials, a lecture or two, maybe a question on a Sunday news show.

List of Prime Ministers of New England
oefJdF2.png

Updated and refreshed to include:
* More details of each ministries
* The death of George H.W. Bush
* Timeline in office
* Monarch, Parliament, & Cabinet sidebars

Last edited:
Who the hell commited murder in John Kerrys cabinet?

Details to follow ;)

hey @Kanan will you be updating alot of the past posts with the new maps, details and such? Like the old south africa maps

2020 I plan on both moving forward with new content and revisiting old content that is not up to my current content standards and revising it. I would envision early 2020 to be a solid 60% new content 40% revisions.

Switzerland remained fairly well isolated throughout the years, and today it remains a neutral nation in Europe. It had been considered the location of several supranational organisations, but ultimately it was passed over in favour of places like London or Paris. Switzerland gained notoriety during the turbulent 40s and 50s as being the main diplomatic hub of the Soviet Union, wherein the Soviet embassy was the only one they maintained in Europe. After some of the Soviet archives were opened (solely to continue to discredit Stalin), Switzerland was to be maintained as an independent countries during the Soviet invasion of Europe, and it would be used to help launder money out of the continent and continue to trade with the rest of the world. The country has actually had a lot of immigration from the 1940s to today, mainly from the overcrowded Germany and relatively poor southern Italy. Thanks to a joint Austro(-fascist)-Swiss-Italian agreement, Italians who lived in Istria and Austrian Tyrol had the option of free and subsidised passage to Italy or Switzerland. Due to this extensive migration, the linguistic breakdown of Swizterland is as follows:

German: 58.4%
French: 18.3%
Italian: 17.3%
Romansh: 0.5%

Italian speakers make up the second largest group in the Canton of Valais, the largest in the Canton of Ticino, and the largest in the Canton of Grisons. There is a large number of Italian-speakers who live in Geneva, Basel, Bern, La Chaux-de-Fonds, and Winterthur.
Absolutely fascinating; sort of a TTL of the Swiss openness to the Nazis and others during the Second World War. Is the political structure the same, ie, it's largely a direct democracy with a legislature that has power but is always subject to a popular veto?

Wait so is Lord Quincy part of the peerage of New England? 1804 was way before life peerages were bestowed IRL, and in the rare cases they were, life peers couldn't sit in the House of Lords. Wouldn't Prime Minister Sir Charles Adams have beeen Lord Quincy III? Is the peerage of New England post still update to date? Not only in regards to Lord Quincy, but also the Earl of Glen Cove and the Lord Westinghouse? Both J.P Morgan, and George Westinghouse have children alive today, IRL.

Just wondering?

Minimum Wage Laws by Country
yftIGhn.png

Notes: If a country is not indicated here, it either has a government-run economy (Soviet Union) where such a statistic here would be not helpful, or it does not have any mandated minimum wage (Mandinko, Afghanistan) but has a standard 40-hour workweek (the world standard), or there is simply no data for the country (Israel, South Africa, Nepal).

The US is oof with the wage. Why so low? Is 1 dollar ITTL equal to 1 dollar IOTL?

Sorry for all of my questions lately, I'm just happy that we're returning back to New England itself and want to know more!

The US is oof with the wage. Why so low? Is 1 dollar ITTL equal to 1 dollar IOTL?

Sorry for all of my questions lately, I'm just happy that we're returning back to New England itself and want to know more!
My guess would be that collective bargaining being so prominent means that there isn’t really a need to set the minimum wage at a living standard due to labor unions doing the work to decide higher wages, which is definitely a really cool idea to explore.

Man, it must be nice to live in places like New ENgland and Germany where the wage is over $30k. US minimum wage is lousy, surprise to no one (must be a multiversal constant). Collective bargaining or not, that's still low.

Status
Not open for further replies.