Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Feeling rather sorry for poor Bess at the moment. Especially living up there in that Lancastrian stronghold so far from the court. I hope she won't have to pay for being so easily manipulated.

I'm really enjoying this. Watched!

Oh no. Even now, Nell Butler's going to be troublesome, isn't she? And Richmond is going to use it to his advantage... 😝

Even from beyond the grave! Richmond is certainly, though he's not the only one...

Don't know about Bess, but Hal certainly didn't chose Arthur by chance.

Oh, no he definitely didn't pick that name by 'accident'

Feeling rather sorry for poor Bess at the moment. Especially living up there in that Lancastrian stronghold so far from the court. I hope she won't have to pay for being so easily manipulated.

I'm really enjoying this. Watched!

I can't promise it'll get easier for her any time soon, she has a rather rough time with it but I promise that she doesn't end up too badly all things considered!

I hope Henry actually loves Bess. I can forgive him if he's hoping for a chance to be King (despite my love of a Henry who is willing to accept that peace is better than war even if it means he is not a king, it honestly would not be out of character for him to think the opposite) but if he is just using Elizabeth, I will be quite angry at him.

Henry's motives do become clearer as we go on, but I can say that he does have genuine feelings and affection for Bess...they're being rather enthusiastic about getting a second child at the moment and it will be a certain source of conflict for him as things go on. I can say for certain that he won't intend to cause her hurt by what happens.

Thanks both for the lists and much food for thought, Amy (co-writer) and I have been discussing it and she's hopefully making an account soon as well. It's been nice revisiting this section and my current family tree is starting to branch off nicely, even if it's incredibly long at this point.

All will be in the timeline as of due course but not too heavy spoilers, this is where we're currently at

- Edward of Middleham does still die, but slightly later in 1485 and Anne Neville gives birth to a daughter named Isabel in 1486 which leaves her very ill and bedridden for a time but she does recover. Hence her also passing on attending Henry/Elizabeth's wedding, still in recovery. ITTL, Anne has custody of Edward of Warwick and Margaret of Clarence and we thought perhaps with only about 9-ish years between Warwick and Isabel that a match could eventually be struck up between the pair of them. Margaret, we like for Dorset because she deserves a good match, bless her.

- Richard gets paired off with Elizabeth Hastings, we think Katherine to Spain and Anne to Burgundy. Also it has been pointed out to me that ITTL, Edward and Cecily have a habit of...not getting along well and he does not have much impulse control so sending her off to Portugal for a 'lesser match' because she's irritated him does strike me as something he would do.

Poor Anne of Brittany, eh?
I need to amend my previous posts about Edward of Warwick’s wedding as I just discovered who Dorset had the right to choose Warwick’s wife so your original plan to marry Warwick to any of the daughters of Dorset is the most likely option...

IX: 1489
"In the summer of 1489, Edward V's attentions were far from the duties of a King as he approached his nineteenth birthday. As one astute court observer noted, the Young King was rapidly growing out of boyhood...into a man that was far too much like his father and mother both. His attention was caught in July by a new arrival to court, Alice Stanley, daughter to Thomas, Baron Stanley, the 'King of Mann'. Alice was the only one of Stanley's daughters not to die young and with Anne of Brittany's arrival in England expected to be within the year, she was brought to court by her stepmother Lady Margaret Beaufort in the hopes of securing a position in the new Queen's household.

Edward was known by then for his wandering eye, especially for the young ladies of the court and Alice, an attractive seventeen year old and something 'new' to the court did not take long to catch his eye."

- The Many Loves of Edward V, BBC Documentary

"Ned is besotted, though what he sees in the girl only God knows. She's a comely enough thing with a little wit with an easy tendency to sulk and blow hot and cold whenever the wind changes. He is well within his rights as a King, of course, still one must hope when his little bride arrives that she is understanding and can put the chit in her place.

For someone needs to do it and preferably fast,"

- Excerpt from a letter to the Countess of Richmond from the Dowager Queen

Hah! A mistress whose power is going to her head! I love it - and as long as Edward does his duty by Anne of Brittany too, Alice Stanley shouldn't be too much of a threat...

X: August 1489
August 1489

"Well girl, have you at least learned anything useful?"

The silence from her stepdaughter was all too revealing and Margaret Beaufort gave an exasperated sigh before glancing over at her husband, Thomas simply gave his daughter a warning look.

"Answer your Lady Stepmother," Thomas said in that quiet but dangerous tone his daughter knew all too well.

"Is that what you want?" Alice answered pouting, "Information because you're sure he'll tire of me? Well he's mad for me and he says that he loves me and -,"

"All the usual platitudes because a man wants to take a girl in his bed," Thomas said with an eyeroll, "Be sensible child, he's like his father, he'll say anything to get you into bed and keep you there until he tires of you. You're all different, you're all his one true lady love and he will ride in your honor at the next joust,"

Alice scowled at that and Margaret Beaufort resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

"Well Alice?" She asked again, "The King has taken you into his confidence, has he told you anything?"

"Mostly that he is tired of playing peacemaker between his mother and Uncle Gloucester," Alice said finally, folding her arms in a sulk. "His mother told him that the Duke of Gloucester had threatened him and -,"

"Threatened him?"

"He said that he thought his Lady Mother was being ridiculous," Alice protested

"Is this about the Eleanor Butler business again?" Margaret Beaufort raised a swift eyebrow, "Is Gloucester continuing that line of thought?"

"Lord help us all," Thomas snorted, "If he'd known about Eleanor Butler back when the King was young then, who knows what he might have done,"

"I don't understand Papa?" Alice frowned, "Who is Eleanor Butler,"

"One of Old King Edward's former -," Margaret made a dismissive sound, unable to bring herself to say it.

"The Earl of Shrewsbury's girl, one of his passing infatuations and gone to be with Our Lord now," Thomas shrugged, "If he means to indeed keep implying that he tried the same trick on Eleanor that he did on the Dowager Queen, well perhaps he still hopes that he can still get another son off Anne Neville,"

"After she almost died in childbed with Lady Isabel?" It was Margaret's turn to snort, "Not likely,"

"What does this matter?" Alice rolled her eyes, "It's just the usual spat between them, it will fade soon enough," She turned to her father entreating him with pleading eyes, "You don't understand Papa, Edward wants to marry me!"

Margaret resisted the urge to smack the girl as Thomas closed his eyes as if in pain, "In the Lord's name, girl," He sighed.

"But he says that he wants to!"

"Yes and your stepmother would like to sit at the right hand side of the Lord but we cannot all have what we want. If you have at least had a brain cell astute enough to notice my girl, the King is engaged and a Queen Anne will sit by his side,"

"He's not married yet," Alice sulked

"Yes and he really will forsake the heiress to Brittany for you, tell me my girl what do you have to offer him in marriage?"

"Our Dowager Queen was the daughter of an Earl and Henry married a Princess," Alice pouted "I don't see why -,"

"If you hadn't noticed everyone's reaction to your stepbrother's marriage then you have less in your head than I thought," Thomas said harshly, "And that at least served some purpose of attempting to soothe the past, though since it has not quelled your stepmother's desires I would think not. I would suggest, girl, that you remove yourself of any airs you've been given because the King thinks you're a comely maiden. You will not have your arse on that throne and any children you would have by the King would be Fitzroys. You will not be a Queen, thank the Lord. Do I make myself clear?"

Alice said nothing, stoney faced and silent.

Every young girl would have her head turned, if she had the most powerful man in England wrapped around her little finger. I enjoyed this chapter because it was so very realistic! Great job.

Of course. For some reason I thought you'd killed him off! Oops

Understandable, Alice is Stanley’s only surviving daughter, something we tweaked as I think historically they all died young and we thought this would be a fun dynamic to play with. George Stanley however is living the quiet life and keeping far away from his stepmother...

Every young girl would have her head turned, if she had the most powerful man in England wrapped around her little finger. I enjoyed this chapter because it was so very realistic! Great job.

Thank you :), it seems like a natural conclusion when the King’s Mistress is a teenager. I wasn’t very sensible at 17 and if you have a King telling you how wonderful you are, well you can imagine the airs you get from that. Even Thomas won’t have quite burst her bubble though.

XI: 1489
“The King’s Little Bride is coming to Dover, the missive from Brittany says we ought to expect her within the fortnight. Alice has not taken the news well, I know that you are to be amongst the party to greet our future Queen. Please remind her to smile and be gracious to the young lady and not to sulk too terribly...”

Excerpt from a letter from Thomas, Baron Stanley to his wife, Lady Margaret.

“The future Queen Anne came ashore to fanfare, England had not had a Queen in almost a decade and there was delight that the succession would at last be secured. A party was sent to greet her at Dover, including the Dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville and her future sisters-in-law, the Countess of Richmond and Lady Elizabeth Hastings, the soon to be Duchess of York.

She was a well sought after heiress by the time she was eleven and noted to be a woman who promoted the interests of Brittany. Still as she emerged from the ship and greeted her welcoming party, Anne was a slender young woman and while not plain, not a great beauty. “

- The Many Loves of Edward V, BBC Documentary

“We should be with you soon enough, you asked me to forewarn you so that His Majesty might be prepared.

“She’s a nice enough girl and we are of a similar age, clever but not a great beauty. I think he will like her but given how mad he is for his current Lady, I worry if he will like her enough.”

Excerpt from a letter by Lady Elizabeth Hastings to her intended, the Duke of York

Oh dear... this is going to end well, isn't it? Why do I foresee something of a triangle at the head of the Court, with Anne and Alice battling for Edward's affections...

Well, I suppose as long as Edward does his duty by Anne, his passions for Alice make no real odds. It's not like Kings aren't expected to take mistresses, after all. And sulks are attractive in a mistress, if not in a wife, whatever Thomas Stanley may think.

I like Elizabeth Hastings, though. She seems a sensible girl. :) Richard should be happy enough with her in the future.

Oh dear... this is going to end well, isn't it? Why do I foresee something of a triangle at the head of the Court, with Anne and Alice battling for Edward's affections...

Well, I suppose as long as Edward does his duty by Anne, his passions for Alice make no real odds. It's not like Kings aren't expected to take mistresses, after all. And sulks are attractive in a mistress, if not in a wife, whatever Thomas Stanley may think.

I like Elizabeth Hastings, though. She seems a sensible girl. :) Richard should be happy enough with her in the future.

Your instinct is quite close though one thing Alice has yet to learn is that she isn’t the first and she won’t be the last to put a claim on Edward’s affections.

Elizabeth is a sensible girl and I’ll say that she and Meg of Clarence will provide a steady backbone for Anne and all that she has to put up with.

That and our Plantagenets tend to have in generations where there are sibling pairs, a sensible match that gets on with things and a pair that is...less so. Elizabeth and Richard are going to be our sensible pair.

Ah. I guess that makes Edward and Anne/Alice/unnamed mistress our non-sensible pair...

Indeed, though that would be unnamed mistresses...let’s just say, there’s going to be reason why people joke about being descended from royalty ITTL version of who do you think you are.

Poor Anne, not yet married and she's got a rival already... Well hopefully she'll get by fine - maybe even a little better than OTL.

XII: September 1489
September 1489

The party had arrived at Westminster on time, most considered that a sign of luck. It had seemed far too long since England had a Queen and now from her place in the procession, Elizabeth Hastings glanced ahead where the King stood awaiting his bride. At his left stood, Gloucester, the King’s Uncle and at his right stood, Richard, her betrothed and the Duke of York.

His eyes were searching for her in the ladies assembled behind Anne of Brittany and Elizabeth caught his gaze, giving him a small smile. Glancing back, she saw the Countess of Richmond who had caught the look between them and looked amused.

At last the party came to a halt before the King and Elizabeth joined them in curtseying before His Majesty.

All stood with baited breath as Edward approached Anne.

“My Lady,” Edward said, as he bent to kiss her hand. “I bid you welcome to England,”

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” Anne spoke, her English was only slightly accented, a fact Elizabeth had put down to the numerous times she’d overheard the young woman practising. She herself had volunteered to assist her as had Lady Margaret of Clarence, Anne had been most worried about embarrassing herself before the King.

“I am happy to at last be in your presence,” Anne continued, not once faltering over her speech, a fact that caused Elizabeth to smile.

“As am I in the presence of such a beautiful lady,” Edward said and Elizabeth caught the look on the future Queen’s face.

Anne was not plain, she was pretty enough and Elizabeth had the sense that she would not easily fall for such compliments.

It seemed like barely any time since the formal greeting passed and the King called for music, taking to the floor to dance with his bride to be.

Elizabeth crosses the room, walking to the side of her betrothed.

“She did well,” Richard said, giving her a smile as she came to stand by his side. “What is she like?”

“She’s clever and kind,” Elizabeth said “I know I wrote to you but I quite like the lady, I think she would be a good Queen if His Majesty let her,”

She studied the figures on the dance floor, while not the best dancer at court, Anne moved gracefully enough and was in conversation with Edward.

So far, so good.

“Yes, well we needn’t doubt Ned’s virility. He’s already sired two and I doubt it’ll be long before he gets one on Lady Alice,”

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, “Two? Well hopefully we’ll have a Prince of Wales in the cradle by this time next year,”

“Aye,” Richard nodded, deep in thought and Elizabeth was content to remain by his side.

At last the music came to a stop and they all applauded, the musicians taking up a new tune as members of the court began to turn to the dance floor.

“Will you dance Beth?”

Richard held his hand out to her and she smiled.

“Well,” Elizabeth said, her voice teasing. “If it is you, I suppose,”

Together, the Duke and his future Duchess took to the floor.