Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now i wait for the next update for the news for when jackie boy gets his license revoked.

Jack Thompson was a failure IOTL and he'll be a failure ITTL. No doubt he'll get his license revoked at some point, he's no further threat to video games ITTL by now.

FINALLY! I’VE CAUGHT UP WITH IT! HALLELUJAH!

In all seriousness, this is one hell of a timeline! GameTV, a living Selina, Apple vs Microsoft vs Nitendo, and so much more! I’ve enjoyed this and how it makes OTL look like the 70s! Please continue with such superb work! Thank you.

Thanks for reading the timeline, I saw your likes in my alerts so I knew you were making your way through it. Hope you enjoy it going forward soon!

Im I the only one who cares about the gaming segments here?
Ive noticed the pop culture ones get more replies.

To be honest it is a tad disheartening when we post a major game and there's not much in the way of comments on it, but the readers are free to discuss what they like :) Hopefully some of the big games we have coming up soon get some love.

Oh yeah, on the subject of Autism, how is Okuma doing under Google ownership?

Still the #3 social network at this point. Mitsuko Ariyama is still enrolled in college and is sitting on her $800 million at this point (she has invested a good chunk of it in a variety of companies and will be investing a lot of it back into Google when it goes public). Not much has changed on the Okuma front, but it will at some point, we'll probably have a tech update in 2007 where we discuss it.

I have been silent for the last three weeks, but I believe that it is time to just say it: I'm taking my leave of the board. It remains to be seen if it will be permanent or just temporary, but I need to get away and move forward with other projects for the time being. Ry and Nivek are aware of my decision and as for my reasons as to why it came to this, I would rather keep it the matter private and make my exit as graceful as it could be. The fire I once had for contributing to the genre has died down to a pile of ember and ash. There was so much I wanted to do for this timeline and its cinematic universes, but suffice it to say that the drive is no longer there and I wish to apologize for leaving the audience hanging. However, there is still one contribution I would like to make before I depart. It is still a ways off, but I figure it would be a fitting swan song.

That being said I would like to thank the audience for the encouragement and praise. It was fun while it lasted and perhaps I will return. So until then, best of luck to Ry, Nivek, and the other contributors and a fond farewell to the rest of you.

Thanks again for your contributions, and hopefully you do see fit to return someday.

On a slightly happier note, have you had any thoughts about Robots Wars/Battlebots/Robotica?

Battlebots left Comedy Central and moved to the Fox network, where it currently airs during the summers. Season 9 just concluded. A number of bots who never won the Giant Nut IOTL did so ITTL, including Mechavore (season 7) and Wedge Of Doom (season 6). Notably, Genesis Rodriguez (of acting and singing fame and the megastar of TTL's Taina) was part of a team and drove the bot that won the season 6 middleweight championship. Robot Wars is still going strong in the UK, though it was canceled in the States. Robotica was recently picked up by G4. The competition merged with Combots and is fairly well liked, though not as big as Battlebots is.

To be honest it is a tad disheartening when we post a major game and there's not much in the way of comments on it, but the readers are free to discuss what they like :) Hopefully some of the big games we have coming up soon get some love.

I think it's because most of the new games are completely original, instead of being ATL versions of OTL games, or games that were cancelled, delayed or heavily changed in OTL, so some readers, especially those not very knowledgeable about video games, don't have anything they can compare them to. Mixolydia seemed great however, and I'm looking forward to the new chapter in the Thrillseekers franchise as well.

I can't say I'm thrilled about the conservative backlash, since whatever happens in the US has a way of making itself felt over here a few years later but, after a de, cade of Al Gore and more than a few political missteps, it had to happen. And regardless of how severe it'll be, enough steps forwards have been made that they won't be able to undo everything.

Summer 2006 (Part 14) - Close Encounters Of The Second Kind
(Authors' Note: Encounter 2's plot was influenced by an idea given to us for a future game in the series by the reader HonestAbe1809. That game will be showing up later in the timeline.)

-

Encounter 2

Encounter 2 is a sci-fi based FPS and the sequel to OTL's Encounter, developed by Parabola Games and published by Electronic Arts. The game picks up eight years after the original, which depicted an alien invasion that left Earth a decimated wreck. The game focuses on 19 year old Elizabeth Buckley, the daughter of the original game's protagonist Ken. In the eight years since the alien invasion, the horror and pain suffered by Elizabeth has never left her mind, and at the age of 13, she ran away from her father with her 15 year old boyfriend Sam to go out and train in a variety of survival skills, including fighting, engineering, and foraging. Ken was left with his disabled wife Charlotte and his son Johnny, and never stopped blaming himself for Elizabeth leaving him, while Charlotte became bitter and blamed Elizabeth. In the years since the alien invasion, humanity has picked up the pieces somewhat, but advanced industrial civilization has fragmented into local towns powered by limited electricity, where disease has returned and where people live in fear of another alien invasion. The game itself features an evolved format from the previous game, which was a simple FPS. Encounter 2 introduces an RPG-like progression system, with upgrade-able weapons and abilities that Elizabeth can learn. In a way, it plays like the new Doom title from OTL, with a somewhat open-ended level structure. The original game's stealth system returns, allowing players to choose stealth or a more head on approach. The player is also able to use Elizabeth's engineering abilities to create weapons, armor, and gadgets to use, which comes in handy once the player begins scavenging from alien warships. There's another character who becomes playable later on and has his own unique set of skills and abilities, and independent equipment from Elizabeth. This allows the player to take different approaches with the two characters, or use the same approach if they choose to do so. Unlike the last game, in which protagonist Ken was inexperienced and his fear and inexperience was incorporated into the game, Elizabeth has been training, Sarah Connor style, for the past eight years and the player will find themselves unencumbered, allowing them to take on much stronger enemies much earlier on. Encounter 2 features numerous graphical upgrades from the previous game, though it's not hugely upgraded on the Xbox and the Wave due to the original already looking so good. However, its release on the Xbox 2 in early 2007 looks fully next-gen and proves to be one of the best looking games released on the system early on. The voice acting has also seen a budget increase, while the last game had mostly unknowns in the main roles, Encounter 2 casts Eliza Dushku as the voice of Elizabeth and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as the space marine who becomes the other protagonist later on.

Encounter 2 sets the scene early by having Elizabeth (now 19) and her boyfriend Sam (now 21) in the forest picking up supplies when they are attacked by the same aliens from the previous game. Elizabeth and Sam kill the aliens, and the two race home to tell Elizabeth's estranged family about the invasion. They return home to find Ken badly sickened with cancer and Charlotte furious with Elizabeth for leaving, exacerbated by the fact that Johnny (now aged 17) left as well. The aliens attack, and Sam dies protecting the sickened Ken. Ken, however, dies moments later after telling Elizabeth that he still loves her and doesn't blame her for leaving. However, Charlotte does, while Elizabeth blames her mother for Sam's death. The two have an intense argument before Elizabeth storms out to find the old alien ship she was working on. She finds it and it's revealed that it's complete and ready to go, and a homing beacon inside of it has activated, pointing to an approaching alien world ship from which the invasion is being launched. Elizabeth boards the ship and takes off, but isn't very good at piloting it and ends up crash landing in a hangar in the world ship, where much of the game takes place. The world ship is, as implied by its name, truly massive, a world in and of itself, with numerous environments that must be navigated and explored and opened up. Elizabeth starts out on her own, but after clearing about an hour or two's worth of gameplay, she meets the space marine, who identifies himself as Zero-Three. Zero-Three claims to have been fighting the aliens for many years, but knows nothing about his homeworld, he only knows of a base called Teos and that the aliens are returning to Earth to finish what they started. Elizabeth shortens Zero-Three's name to just Z and the two begin to explore the ship together, their skills complimenting one another's. Despite the fact that one of them is a man and one of them is a woman, they're never really attracted to one another, they mostly exchange banter but definitely become very fond of each other's company and try their best to protect one another as the story continues. Elizabeth and Z spend about two thirds of the game on the world ship, mostly working to deactivate beacons that will disrupt the aliens' second invasion of Earth. The game has a much different tone from the original, and is in fact somewhat more light-hearted without the death and destruction all around like there was in the first game. However, it's still clear that the aliens hate humanity and have indeed been abducting humans to experiment on them. Elizabeth finds one of these rooms and is furious at what she sees, going into a rage that Z is only barely able to calm her out of. Eventually the two finish exploring the ship and after a spectacular boss battle, set it to self-destruct, seemingly halting the invasion. They attempt to take an escape pod to Earth, but Z insists that they go to Teos instead, and Elizabeth is unable to stop him.

The two make their way to Teos, where humans seem to have been living for many millennia. Eventually, Elizabeth learns that Teos is a genetic bank for humanity, created by Earthlings who disappeared through time rips throughout human history. It's then learned that Z is actually Elizabeth's little brother Johnny (who disappeared through a time rip at 16 and is now 36, having been fighting the aliens for 20 years), but he has no memory of his previous life. Indeed, no one on Teos has any memory of their lives before disappearing through the time rips. Elizabeth then meets the Matriarch (voiced by Julia Fletcher), known as a Time Angel. The Matriarch has been abducting humans through time in order to fight the aliens, whom she refers to as the Blight. Elizabeth is furious with the Matriarch for using her brother for this war, and eventually attacks her, fighting through an army of the Matriarch's soldiers in order to do so. Elizabeth battles the Matriarch, who manipulates time in order to get the upper hand. Eventually, their fight is interrupted by a Blight attack, and Teos' defenses are shattered. Elizabeth fights her way onto the alien ship and confronts the warlord, the same warlord who chose to spare humanity at the end of the previous game. When she demands to know why he invaded Earth again, the warlord says that his civilization was attacked by humans. Elizabeth realizes that it was the Matriarch who sent those humans, but is interrupted by Johnny arriving and killing the alien warlord. Elizabeth demands to know why the Matriarch restarted the war, and the Matriarch returns and says that it was revenge for her society of timefarers being wiped out by the Blight many eons ago. Elizabeth furiously attacks the Matriarch, but Johnny defends her and defeats Elizabeth. Elizabeth begs Johnny to remember her, but Johnny's mind has been totally wiped. The Matriarch is about to finish Elizabeth when the alien ship begins to crash-land on Teos. Elizabeth is able to escape and she takes another escape pod, this time re-directing it toward Earth. Johnny and the Matriarch crawl out of the wreckage of the ship and are set upon by a massive invasion force of Blight. Johnny tries to protect the Matriarch, but she dies in the fighting and Johnny is wounded and captured. Meanwhile, Elizabeth returns to Earth to rally the humans to fight against the imminent invasion, fighting her way through an advance force back to her mother. Elizabeth begs her mother's forgiveness and tells her about Johnny and everything else, but Charlotte still hates her. Another alien force attacks with overwhelming numbers. Elizabeth fights with everything she has to protect her mother, getting badly wounded in the process. Elizabeth is able to beat all of the aliens but one, who stands over her ready to kill her when it's blown away by Charlotte with a shotgun. Charlotte is still angry, but she and Elizabeth reconcile and Charlotte asks Elizabeth to save Johnny. Elizabeth then gets a transmission from the aliens, threatening to kill Johnny if she doesn't surrender. Elizabeth bluffs, pretending that she hates Johnny, and rallies a huge force to battle back the aliens. The final two levels depict Elizabeth's rescue of Johnny and the two going after the alien general together (though Johnny still doesn't have his memories back). Elizabeth and Johnny almost by themselves battle the alien army (with help from advanced tech scavenged along the way) and eventually defeat the alien warmaster in a grand final battle. Elizabeth is unable to restore Johnny's memories, but Charlotte, using a family heirloom, is able to, and the family finally reconciles with one another, with the end of the game implying that Elizabeth became pregnant with Sam's child before he died. With the aliens finally defeated, Elizabeth decides to hang up her weapons and settle down with her new baby. Meanwhile, one surviving alien crawls into the Teos base and discovers their time manipulation device. He radios back to an unseen alien figure, setting up the events of the next game.

Encounter 2 is released on September 26, 2006. Compared to the last game, the critical reception is a bit muted, though still quite excellent. Critics do praise the enhanced battle system, though the level design is criticized for being repetitive and the plot isn't quite as dramatic or impactful as the poignant vents of the previous game, with critics feeling that many of Encounter 2's emotional payoffs aren't quite as "earned". In addition, the multiplayer mode is a bit of a letdown, with not as many deathmatch or special modes as the previous game, while the co-op mode, which allows one person to play as Elizabeth and the other as Johnny for the game's campaign levels, is seen as being too easy, with the hard modes only made harder by ramping up the number of repetitive enemies. Despite the minor critical quibbles, Encounter 2 is still a major financial success. It's overall the best selling game of September 2006, though when split into individual console version sales, the two versions both finish slightly below Star Fox: Heroic Universe. It IS seen as an evolution of the typical FPS formula, and is seen as highly influential in the genre during the next generation, making the game's critical reception improve somewhat over time, as it's seen as somewhat of a bridge between the sixth and seventh generations.

I have been silent for the last three weeks, but I believe that it is time to just say it: I'm taking my leave of the board. It remains to be seen if it will be permanent or just temporary, but I need to get away and move forward with other projects for the time being. Ry and Nivek are aware of my decision and as for my reasons as to why it came to this, I would rather keep it the matter private and make my exit as graceful as it could be. The fire I once had for contributing to the genre has died down to a pile of ember and ash. There was so much I wanted to do for this timeline and its cinematic universes, but suffice it to say that the drive is no longer there and I wish to apologize for leaving the audience hanging. However, there is still one contribution I would like to make before I depart. It is still a ways off, but I figure it would be a fitting swan song.

That being said I would like to thank the audience for the encouragement and praise. It was fun while it lasted and perhaps I will return. So until then, best of luck to Ry, Nivek, and the other contributors and a fond farewell to the rest of you.

I really appreciated your stuff, man. I don't think I'll ever stop picturing Bruce Campbell as Superman. Best of luck wherever life takes you.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor

I, personally, have always been one for JRPGs, especially those coming out of the 90s, as well as PC strategy game franchises such as Civilization . For me it's more of a choice on genre and games similar to the ones I am familiar with growing up, and personal relation to them. On TTL

In addition, the updates on pop culture and politics, I feel, help add more substance to the world, seeing how entire events, franchises, and even people don't (or do) exist simply because of a phone call in 1991 and it's effects on an entire industry.

Oh, and @Pyro, best of luck in your future endeavors, you and your posts have been a blast.

Well, to be fair there are only so many ways to phrase "That was awesome, great job!" or "Not my thing, but I can see it having a massive fanbase." without resorting to Google Translate to say it other languages, and I think we ran through them all in Player Two Start.
As long as we're still here talking about something, and as long as the 'like's keep pouring in you're doing something right. Keep up the great work!

I think it's because most of the new games are completely original, instead of being ATL versions of OTL games, or games that were cancelled, delayed or heavily changed in OTL, so some readers, especially those not very knowledgeable about video games, don't have anything they can compare them to. Mixolydia seemed great however, and I'm looking forward to the new chapter in the Thrillseekers franchise as well.
Yes, Mixolydia (in addition to being fun in and of itself) sounded like it had some pretty groundbreaking features that I can see being adapted into other things as well. And there are not enough words to sing the praises of Thrillseekers properly, always looking forward to more of that!

Does the loss of Pyro mean no more superhero movies ITTL?
they will be..just not as detailed as so far, we still have a few one ready to be posted but the rest will be mostly a few description and box office, alongside any prize those earned, maybe if some are interested(Ry with Batman, me with some of the 'niche one') but they are still there

Summer 2006 (Part 15) - Argonaut's Heroic Universe
Star Fox: Heroic Universe

Star Fox: Heroic Universe is a shooter/adventure game developed by Argonaut and published by Nintendo exclusively for the Wave. It's the culmination of the "Argonautverse" crossover event that's stretched across three years and four games, and brings together the characters and worlds from Squad Four, X, and Star Fox. The game features a mix of on-rails gameplay, 3-D space shooter gameplay, and on-foot adventure gameplay, with six different vehicles and a myriad of different weapons and playable characters, many of which can be chosen by players from a number of options presented at the start of each mission. The game has 25 total playable story missions and three side missions, though a playthrough only requires 18 of the game's missions to be completed. Within these missions, a variety of different scenarios can play out, so one person's playthrough of the game's story mode is rarely the same as another person's. Most missions will feature either Arwing gameplay or on-foot gameplay. The on-foot gameplay has essentially the same combat system from Squad Four Upheaval, though with some enhancements that are mostly related to the game's crossover aspects. The on-rails Arwing gameplay allows for numerous route changes and diversions, and the player is constantly getting feedback about what certain allies are doing. The 3-D all range Arwing gameplay allows for the most freedom, including direct intervention to rescue an endangered comrade. The game also features tanks, both the Landmaster tank and General Xenda's X tank, the Hypercycle from Star Fox 3, the Wingmarine, and a new vehicle, the Gargantua, a Voltron-like giant robot used for certain boss fights and parts of the final few missions. As for mission selection, there are mandatory missions that must be played through in a certain order, but then the game opens up and allows players to choose from a number of different missions, with "hotspots" opening up that indicate a certain character may need assistance. These "hotspots" open up based on actions performed during previous missions, so for example, completing a certain objective may open up a mission that wasn't otherwise available. Sometimes, a passed up mission must eventually be completed, but its parameters will change depending on what missions were completed before it. The game itself contains a variety of worlds, with about two-thirds of them being from previous Star Fox, Squad Four, or X games, and the others being entirely new. The hyperspace gateways from Star Fox: Hyperspace return, allowing for quick traversal of the entire galaxy, with Lockstar (from Squad Four) and Corneria (from Star Fox) both playing integral roles in the game itself. When starting a mission, the screen lets the player know which characters are available to play as and which may become available to play as later in the level. Sometimes the player must start with a specific character, while other times the player is able to choose. Playable characters in the game are Fox, Falco, Slippy, Krystal, Shad, Marcus, Rebecca, Lane, and Xenda, and each character has their own specific vehicles and abilities. Of the Squad Four team members, only Rebecca can pilot the Arwing, while Xenda is the only person in the game capable of piloting the X tank, and the Gargantua tank is only able to be piloted by all nine characters at once. Once the player is within a mission, depending on circumstances, the player may be able to switch to another character in another part of the stage. Doing so will usually allow the player to access a part of the level or a secret that would have been otherwise inaccessible (or even fight a different boss), but may also make the level harder. Sometimes, switching up will keep the level largely the same, but will allow the player to fight a boss in a different vehicle or even on foot. Sometimes the player will want to switch up simply to save another character who would have been taken out of the action otherwise, though they can also intervene to save a character themselves if possible, as generally, having more characters alive will make the end mission boss easier. Every mission in the game except for the first three missions has at least one alternate possibility, and there's one mission that allows the player to complete it with ANY of the nine playable characters on completely different paths. Completed missions can be replayed any time the player wants (the game saves after every completed level) and the player can even choose to go back and take an alternate route at any time. Players do have limited lives in each level, when the character they're controlling currently is killed, a life is lost (which does make it advantageous to switch if possible if a character is low on health), losing all lives will cause the player to have to restart the mission over again, though there are certain long missions that have "super checkpoints" that will allow the player to go back to that super checkpoint if they lose all their lives. Star Fox: Heroic Universe features some of the best graphics of any Wave game, with Argonaut really pushing the Wave's capabilities quite hard. The game features the same voice actors from each of the separate Argonaut Wave games, with all the Star Fox and Squad Four actors reprising their roles. Heroic Universe also features an extensive local and online multiplayer mode that features deathmatch combat for up to four players, who can engage in a variety of modes and use a variety of weapons and vehicles in battle. The soundtrack is a mix of remixed songs from the three Argonaut franchises and entirely new material, with about half of the songs being remixes and half of the songs being new.

The main plot of Heroic Universe focuses on a prince named Malphus who has become a powerful dark wizard. He lives on a planet in Lockstar's solar system (and it's later revealed that he and Rebecca were childhood friends and that Rebecca was once "betrothed" to him). Malphus has been studying dark magic and powerful technology, and he has discovered a way to bring the two together, but requires the help of the infamous (but deceased) evil genius Andross. Malphus is able to revive Andross, who immediately sets about to conquer the Lylat system. When Malphus reveals Lockstar to him, Andross sets his sights on Lockstar as well, and decides he wants to rule the entire galaxy. Utilizing Malphus' dark magic, Andross is able to conjure up an army of evil more powerful than anything the galaxy has ever seen before.

Part One: Bringing The Squads Together

Missions 1-3 are basic missions that introduce players to the Star Fox and Squad Four teams, along with General Xenda. Mission 1 is a basic on-rails Arwing mission where the Star Fox team investigates a mysterious occurrence on Venom, only to run into a powerful boss robot that they defeat just barely. Mission 2 has Squad Four on foot on the mysterious world where they were seemingly attacked in Star Fox: Hyperspace. They escape their predicament and discover a cosmic wormhole created by an offshoot of Malphus' dark energy. Passing through it, they arrive on Venom just in time to bail out Star Fox. Mission 3 has Xenda and his army battling against an army of tanks on another world led by a powerful evil mercenary hired by Malphus. Xenda gains victory and sets his sights on Venom, where his army meets Star Fox and Squad Four.

Part Two: Outbreak

The heroes unite just in time, because at that moment Malphus launches a massive, coordinated attack on the Lylat System. The player gets their first taste of the "hotspot" and perspective switching systems in the missions that play out on these familiar worlds. The Star Fox team's old buddy Bill makes an appearance on a mandatory mission during this phase of the game, in which he seemingly sacrifices himself to stop a massive battle mech from destroying a city. While the heroes obtain some crucial victories during this phase, it seems like it's all for naught as they crash land together on a deserted world on the outskirts of the Lylat system.

Part Three: Here We Go Again

Part three of the game plays out somewhat like a traditional Squad Four game, having all the heroes marooned on an ancient planet for three missions in a row. Here's where some really interesting character interactions take place as the heroes try to unite with one another. The player does get a bit of choice on which characters they want to focus on during the missions. Rebecca reunites with Malphus again and the two have a plot-heavy conversation in which Rebecca tries to reason with him but he rebukes her. It seems like Rebecca is going to get an Upheaval-style capture sequence here, but not in this game: she stabs him with one of her energy swords when he tries to grab her (his dark energy heals the wound but this does allow her to get away). There's also some fun interactions between Lane and Slippy, some badass Fox/Shad hero moments, a bit of flirting between Marcus and Krystal, and some neat old-timer interactions between Peppy and Xenda. Star Wolf also makes a memorable appearance, being sent to the planet in order to take the heroes out from the sky, though Wolf gets shot down. The final boss of the three mission sequence is a one on one hand to hand fight between Fox and Wolf, before the heroes are able to get off world.

Part Four: Lockstar In Peril

Events in this part of the game will eventually lead the heroes back to the Lockstar system for a climactic battle sequence over the planet. We se Rebecca flying an Arwing like a badass here, while Katt Monroe also shows up to save the Squad Four team's ass at one point. Xenda and his tank army also play a crucial role in repelling the threat to Lockstar, though the planet's capital city sustains some massive destruction, and Pigma, Leon, and the new leader of Star Wolf, an anthropomorphic eagle named Haast, manage to abduct Lockstar's president, Alice Stroma.

Part Five: Cataclysm

The shit really hits the fan during this segment of the game, as the heroes pursue Star Wolf to a mysterious and terrifying planet called Minerva to rescue Stroma. She's rescued early in the segment, and the heroes evade a massive trap that's been set for them, though they are separated into small groups once again. We learn more about Malphus' backstory, and how his world was a pariah world and that Rebecca, at that time the daughter of a Lockstarian ambassador, was the first person to reach out to the young prince and show him kindness. Malphus' world, known as Nox, was ostracized from the galaxy for practicing dark magic, but the planet had been beset by a terrible plague, and Lockstar's leaders, in a humanitarian attempt to help the people of Nox, reopened trade with them. As it turns out, Nox had turned a corner and was ready to renounce dark magic, but the prince had become a font of hatred, and all the planet's magic was becoming manifest within him. Through her love and friendship, Rebecca nearly stopped the darkness within Malphus, but unbeknownst to anyone, Malphus was in contact with another being via the galactic leylines: the evil Andross, who had become like a father figure to Malphus, and sought to use the young prince's dark magic to enhance his technology. Andross' influnce caused Malphus to lash out, causing a storm of evil to overwhelm the planet, killing many visiting Lockstarians. The only reason Rebecca and her family were spared is because they were offworld on another diplomatic mission at the time. Rebecca never learned why she wasn't able to go back and visit her young friend, while the planet was once again sealed off from the rest of the galaxy. Meanwhile, Malphus' evil continued to fester, and signs of his influence were present in the villains in both Star Fox: Hyperspace and X: Heroic Valor (the mysterious dark runes seen in both games). Rebecca still believes that the young prince she befriended is in there somewhere, and wants another chance to purge the evil from him. However, events on Minerva cause a great darkness to spread throughout the galaxy, and the rest of the chapter is spent cleaning up evil on various worlds. Andross and Malphus' dark plan to overwhelm the cosmos is about to be completed, but the heroes have developed a secret weapon of their own...

Part Six: The Battle To Save Everyone

The final few missions in the game start out in Corneria, which has been overwhelmed by a massive wave of Malphus' forces. However, after saving Corneria, the heroes gain the use of the Gargantua, which is used in a brief segment on the penultimate mission before finally being used extensively during the last mission, which takes place on Nox and which in and of itself is broken up into numerous segments (the final mission has three different "super checkpoints", where every other mission with these checkpoints only has one). The player gets to choose amongst many possible heroes for the first part of this final mission, though most of the rest of the mission takes place in Gargantua. Several bosses are fought here, though the heroes eventually fight Malphus. Rebecca tries one last time to reason with him, and this time she manages to get through, but just before Malphus seems like he'll purge the darkness from within, there's a terrifying transformation as Andross forcibly absorbs Malphus into a gigantic mech he's built to battle Star Fox. The final battle takes place in four phases: first, there's a straight-up battle between the mech and Gargantua, but after Gargantua is seemingly smashed up by the mech, the heroes have to eject, and the next phase of the battle requires the player to battle Andross' mech utilizing numerous methods, including the Arwing, the Hypercycle, both tanks, and on foot. After the mech is weakened, Shad, Fox, and Rebecca penetrate into the core of the mech on foot to free Malphus, the three battling Andross (who has a humanoid body and is in a powered armor suit to battle the three, the player can control any of the three heroes for this fight but once they've made their choice they can't switch) in the third phase. They save him, but he's fatally wounded taking a shot that was meant for Rebecca. With a tearful shout of "ANDROSS, YOU BASTARD!!!", Rebecca plunges both of her swords into Andross' heart, but he laughs and blasts Rebecca with a massive wave of energy, telling Rebecca that his "body" is an illusion and that his real self is in the mech. The dying Malphus transfers his magic into Rebecca, but her body is unable to handle it all, which is when Shad and Fox join hands with her and each of them accept a third of the energy. Using Malphus' energy, the three reform Gargantua into a much more powerful mech and engage Andross in battle for the final phase. Finally, after a truly epic fight in which all the heroes get one final epic line, Andross is completely obliterated and the galaxy is saved. There's an epic ending sequence in which the heroes get a big ceremony and an award and say their final goodbyes before parting to their separate squads to protect their own worlds once more.

Star Fox: Heroic Universe is universally praised by critics, though the game does have its flaws: it's a bit of a mess from a gameplay perspective, with some of the secrets being difficult to find. The plot also leans more toward giving everyone an epic moment rather than being truly coherent, though critics do agree it comes together in the end. Overall, the game does get a slightly better reception than Squad Four Upheaval, and indeed, is considered to be the best of the Argonautverse Wave games by most critics, with reviews averaging in the high 8s. To most fans, the game lives up to the hype, and sells incredibly well upon its worldwide release on September 19, 2006: it would sell around two million copies worldwide in its first week of release, and would continue to be a major seller during the holiday season, ultimately becoming one of the biggest financial successes of the year in the gaming industry. It's the culmination of a years-long project by Nintendo, and by all accounts, it succeeds overwhelmingly, while also cementing Argonaut as crucial to Nintendo's success. With the company entertaining striking out on its own, it puts Nintendo in an awkward position: there have been indications that many of the company's personnel would leave for other companies if Nintendo tried to purchase Argonaut outright, but if Nintendo didn't buy Argonaut, the company could begin developing games for other consoles: in particular, Apple. Rumors had been swirling about a possible meeting between Steve Jobs and Argonaut's Dylan Cuthbert, and while Nintendo held all of the company's IP (and thus there was no threat of Squad Four or Star Fox ever appearing on the iTwin), the company's creative and technological talent would be an enormous chip in Apple's pile.

-

Argonaut Developing New IP For The Nintendo Wave In 2007

Nintendo has just announced a new IP in development by the software company Argonaut. The game, called Zeppelin Age, will be exclusive to the Nintendo Wave, and looks to be released sometime next year as early as the summer. The title will be a steampunk-style game featuring crews of aerial pirates battling it out in the skies over massive industrial cities, and while there hasn't been much else revealed about the game, Nintendo has announced it as "the symbol of a wonderful partnership between Nintendo and the talented developers at Argonaut". Rumors have swirled in the past few months about a possible partnership between Argonaut and Apple, with the prospect of an acquisition being floated in some corners of the internet. While rumors of an acquisition by Apple were highly suspect from when they were first reported, it is true that the relationship between Nintendo and Argonaut had grown increasingly contentious since 2005, with a statement from one programmer indicating that the company was being "creatively restricted". With new IP now on its way, combined with Nintendo's recent statement, it seems that things have at least cooled down between the companies, and that Argonaut projects are likely to remain Nintendo exclusive for at least the next few years.

-from an article on Games Over Matter, posted on October 10, 2006

-

"Steve Jobs absolutely did offer us a good deal of money for the company, but what kept us with Nintendo was... well, it was two things. One of those things was a long discussion between myself and Satoru Iwata, where we discussed our favorite video games and where Mr. Iwata really seemed to understand our need to stretch our creative wings and get away from Star Fox and X for a while. We were getting burned out, and our work on Heroic Universe had really drained nearly everyone at the company, with Zeppelin Age being a respite from all that stress. Mr. Iwata offered us more freedom, and frankly, I never wanted to work for Steve Jobs anyway, I probably would've taken the money and gone and retired on a nice island somewhere if Apple had bought us up.

The second thing, and this gets a bit more sentimental, but... it was something that Shigeru Miyamoto had told me when I first pitched the original Squad Four to him. Our conversation was through a translator, but what he said to us was that Nintendo was in the business of making games that as many people as possible could enjoy, and that if we made Squad Four, we needed to make it into a game that would appeal to everyone, young and old, experienced, non-experienced... he told us that we could tell our story in our game, but do it in such a way that it wouldn't take away from the fun. The story had to serve the fun. It was inspiring, and frankly, the best possible advice we could've gotten at that time. I went back to the other higher-ups at Argonaut and reminded them about what Mr. Miyamoto had said, and that I felt we were best off sticking with Nintendo. To be honest, it wasn't much of a debate, I think all of us had a story like that. We didn't have anything about Steve Jobs, we just had all that money he was offering up, but with Heroic Universe pretty much a guaranteed success, we knew we'd be seeing that kind of money pretty soon anyway. I'm not going to say the money didn't matter, because of course it did, but Jobs wasn't offering enough. He knew he wasn't getting the Squad Four IP, or even X, he was just buying talent, and he didn't offer enough to buy us."

-Dylan Cuthbert, in an interview with The Nintendo Ninja, March 15, 2017

Last edited:

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Lovely tribute to Shigeru Miyamoto there. And I must say, Zepplin Age sounds like it would be a fun game, too. As does the entire Heroic Universe game itself.

Wow that was a great read!! It was nice to see 3 + years worth of teasing come to something and it was a wild ride. Sounds like a pretty epic game and I got some guardians of the galaxy vibes from some bits in that ending. . These characters are all so wonderful! I'm extremely hyped to see the future of these series!

Also I love steampunk stuff so Zeppelin Age sounds rad as all hell.

Will Zeppelin Age be part of the shared Argonaut universe?

Possibly, though at the moment Argonaut is looking to make games outside that verse.

Oh, I forgot to mention it, but Bill's "sacrifice" wasn't permanent, he returns in a mission in Part Five to make a dramatic rescue in a pretty cool scene.

Well that rocked! I can see some critics (especially the former Game TV crew) being all "Ok, taken just as a game by itself, it has issues....but if you're a fan of any or all of these series, and you've been waiting for this....it's everything you wanted and then some!"

Quick question though:
a bit of flirting between Marcus and Krystal
Does this get the same flack from the "mainstream" that Sonic '06's Sonic/Elise got IOTL?

Sounds like a pretty epic game and I got some guardians of the galaxy vibes from some bits in that ending.
I was about to say the same thing!

As a refresher for Heroic Universe, I went back to read the description for the first Squad Four, and I finally understood the gameplay. Wow, was it impressive at the time!

That thought, and the quote from the post about Nintendo announcing Zeppelin Age and saying it was "the symbol of a wonderful partnership between Nintendo and the talented developers at Argonaut" made me real sad for OTL Argonaut.

They give Nintendo one of the Super Nintendo's best games and a specially-designed on-cart chip, and Nintendo never talks to them again. Seems like a bad timeline.

I am very sorry, and very sad to see this... I hope you come back, and if not, please find me on Facebook or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.