Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
The socially conservative backlash I can see happening, though for how long remains to be seen. I imagine Michael Jackson's fans will be getting into conspiracy theories for years. Chris Farley may make A Confederacy of Dunces when he gets out. As for Iraq, civil war maybe.

Good update.

I'm calling it: Hillary or JFK, Jr. will be the Democratic nominee, but will lose to the Republican nominee in 2008 due to the Great Recession. However, the Republicans might let Detroit go bankrupt, and the fallout from that causes them to lose in 2012 to the 2008 Democratic runner-up...

On a side note regarding Michael Jackson, I had a book called Conspiracy by Aphrodite Jones which is from the POV of the defense in Jackson's trial (so take it with a grain of salt). Among other things, the alleged victim (or just victim, if one believes that Michael Jackson was guilty) and his family would raise money from celebrities which were to help pay for his cancer treatments; turns out the father's insurance covered all of that. Plus, the victim's mother had pleaded guilty to welfare fraud (which doesn't mean anything, of course, but does raise eyebrows) and behaved...bizarrely on the witness stand (alleging things that weren't true, like being "imprisoned" at Neverland), to put it mildly, which may have factored into the jury's acquitting Jackson, IMO...

Butterflies probably mean that there's a stronger case than OTL, IMO; won't stop the conspiracy theories among MJ's fans, though...

Glad Chris Farley is still alive, even if he still has his demons; maybe he can do Confederacy of Dunces and the Fatty Arbuckle biopic he wanted to do IOTL...

I wouldn't mind seeing JFK Jr. becoming President 45, with him basically parroting his father's ideas to stimulate the economy. Also, thought that with a Democrat, the recession would have come later, as the deregulations under Bush which sped it up did not happen ITTL

I wouldn't mind seeing JFK Jr. becoming President 45, with him basically parroting his father's ideas to stimulate the economy. Also, thought that with a Democrat, the recession would have come later, as the deregulations under Bush which sped it up did not happen ITTL
There was always a recession in the making post 911 acording some economist(i might think did yeah might have happened as Dot Com bubble already explode) argue 911 and Iraq war somehow delayed it or redirectioned for a while(the whole buy be patriot pro consumer marker in 01 and 02, the desregulation thanks 02 victory and so on) and when 911 was as OTL, maybe more that the Subprime Crisis Recession...this one is more a overheating and thanks a lot of oil spike become a major speed bump for the economy, a recession? might be not as otl one but is pretty severe for the alarmist and chicago boys disciples.

Ya know, I am kind of happy Jackson didn't get off scott free here. Ever since he died in OTL, most people want to pretend that whole creepy boy loving phase never happened.

Hard to deny a conviction ITTL.

Ya know, I am kind of happy Jackson didn't get off scott free here. Ever since he died in OTL, most people want to pretend that whole creepy boy loving phase never happened.

IDK, there's this one guy (I don't remember his name) who's been going on about pedophilia in Hollywood since the Nineties, and he never mentioned Jackson, not even when everyone believed he was an actual pedophile. I think he was just a very emotionally disturbed individual with the same grasp on social behaviour of a fairly low functioning autistic person. In fact, he might very well have had whatever Chris-Chan has.

IDK, there's this one guy (I don't remember his name) who's been going on about pedophilia in Hollywood since the Nineties, and he never mentioned Jackson, not even when everyone believed he was an actual pedophile. I think he was just a very emotionally disturbed individual with the same grasp on social behaviour of a fairly low functioning autistic person. In fact, he might very well have had whatever Chris-Chan has.
Oh no, I think I know who you are talking about in regards to the whole pedophilia in Hollywood.

Corey Feldman? Or was it Mark Dice?

Oh no, I think I know who you are talking about in regards to the whole pedophilia in Hollywood.

Corey Feldman? Or was it Mark Dice?

I think it was Corey Feldman, yes. He named a lot of names, but never Jackson's - it's quite weird, since he was a very easy target in the last couple of decades of his life.

It's important to note that we never explicitly say whether or not Jackson is guilty of the crime he's convicted of ITTL. Just as IOTL, it will never be conclusively known exactly what Michael Jackson did, and his reputation ITTL will be a matter of controversy going forward.

My own opinion about Jackson is this: basically, he never had a normal childhood (with a father like Joe Jackson and becoming the lead singer of the Jackson Five at the age of 10, he was screwed up, to put it mildly) and I think that his Neverland Ranch (and all of his activities involved with that) was an effort to capture the childhood he never had. In the book I mentioned, he talks about seeing kids playing baseball and being sad that he couldn't do that.

If you watch Peter Pan, it explains a lot of Jackson's behavior as an adult (except for the molestation charges (1); even if he was innocent of those charges, his behavior--such as sleeping with young boys--was screwed up but, again, it may have been an effort to recapture his childhood, like I've mentioned)...

It's curious, though, that, while Corey Feldman named pedophiles (he's a Woobie or Jerkass Woobie, depending on how you feel about him), he denied that Jackson was one (and Feldman would not have protected him if he was one, IMO)...

(1) If he did those, he deserves whatever he got in the great beyond, IOTL and ITTL...

Well, that was something, alright. Conservative feelings increasing among the public—I guess I saw that coming. The possibility of an earlier Obergefell v. Hodges is pretty interesting too.

MJ dead of a suicide… that was unexpected.

Except you know, IOTL he was never convicted of being a pedophile and Corey Feldman, the most well known victim of pedophilia in Hollywood stuck up for him for the entire period, something he wouldn't do if he didn't believe he was innocent. So I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
Jeez, you weren't kidding when you said you weren't creating a Utopia! Possibly earlier great recession, backlash against LGBT rights among sizable part of American population and MJ taking his own life, I imagine MJ would be to ATL 00's what Kurt Cobain was to OTL's 90's? Cracking update
In fairness, LGBT rights have mostly been going better then OTL. Yeah, there are a bunch of assholes opposing it, but that's probably a universal constant. We might get nationwide Gay Marriage by 2009 in this universe. Thank you, Supreme Court.

@Derekc2, it's Feldman, not Feldwood. And, yes, Feldman did stand up for him, which says something; if Jackson had been a pedophile and he'd known, there's no way in hell I can see Feldman defending him, given his experiences...

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Damn, Michael Jackson dead nearly three years earlier than OTL? These butterflies are...going without saying, not particularly pleasant, doing away with the acquittal of all charges as per OTL and instead rendering a guilty verdict.

And the new wave of conservatism sweeping the U.S. doesn't help much, either, but it's a natural side-effect of fourteen years (as of this comment) of Democratic control of the executive, and any control the Democrats have of Congress is essentially gone by the next news update (the midterms), I bet. Man, Limbaugh's oil conspiracy theory sounds...well, it actually sounds like a tamer version of what Alex Jones might say about this stuff.

And Iraq's probably going to get worse before getting better. At least this hurricane season was mostly quiet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.