Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure is that Dmitry Medvedev. He posted the thread in English, on Twitter, naming Musk by name, who then subsequently responded to the thread, calling it "epic." Incredible stuff.
He was mostly making fun at Kamil Galeev and utterly delusional things that sphere seems to post

A question regarding future maps in the Wank series.

Ethiopia; would an Ethiopia where the Tigre and Amhara convert to Islam sometime in the late middle ages (don't do as well against their Islamic neighbors in the horn, let's say) still count as "Ethiopia" for wanking purposes? It would make expansion into the Horn, East Africa, the Nile and south Arabia easier by removing the religious conflict, but I feel that it's perhaps sort of cheating if I don't try to keep my mega-Ethiopia Christian dominated (at least initially) because the Christian identity of Ethiopia/Abyssinia was so important for so long.

Ethiopia; would an Ethiopia where the Tigre and Amhara convert to Islam sometime in the late middle ages (don't do as well against their Islamic neighbors in the horn, let's say) still count as "Ethiopia" for wanking purposes? It would make expansion into the Horn, East Africa, the Nile and south Arabia easier by removing the religious conflict, but I feel that it's perhaps sort of cheating if I don't try to keep my mega-Ethiopia Christian dominated (at least initially) because the Christian identity of Ethiopia/Abyssinia was so important for so long.
I'd allow it. Not the first time Ethiopia converted to a different religion. But extra points if you do keep it Christian

I mean you can incorporate that difficulty into the map and the nation. Like Ethiopia becomes a power becouse it militarized itself and went on to defeat and conquer its neighbors.

(there's nothing that says you can't do both)

fictional scottish island :)
o73Ema3.jpg

One thing you could do that would be interesting (and possibly a little controversial) is have Islam develop in such a way that it becomes more Ethiopia-centric. For example, maybe the Muslim-Quraysh War concludes in favor of the Quraysh and Muhammad ultimately flees with his followers to Aksum where he develops a close relationship with King Najashi and their two faiths syncretize in a manner favorable toward both the Muslims and Najashi's Christian subjects (Muhammad is a prophet-saint and Jesus is a Very Special prophet that God personally brought into existence - something like that maybe). The Muslims fleeing persecution set up shop in Aksum but maintain their relationships and knowledge of trade networks in the Arabian peninsula in such a way that the Aksumite court is prepared to assist the Muslims with round 2 against the Quraysh. Aksum succeeds, the region is pacified, and the growing empire is able to conquer up into Egypt and the Levant by the sheer economic, military, and demographic weight not to mention a good amount of religious zeal. Hence "Islam" is introduced to the world as something of a rebirth, or revelatory contribution to the (Alexandrian) Christian tradition with Muhammad and Najashi as central figures. It comes to dominate along the Nile and in the Middle East, and potentially beyond as evangelizing opportunities present themselves in the Mediterranean, Persian Gulf, and all along the Indian Rim.

I would be more inclined to christian Ethiopia... with PoD early enough it shouldn´t be that difficult.
Or, even better, do both, as @Gryphon said :D

Always nice to see some small-scale maps in this thread.

I'll admit I'm a little confused by the contour lines on this one. Is the coastline supposed to be at different heights in different places?
They're meant to be cliffs, similar to the sheer edges of St. Kilda or other isolated Scottish islands. I know that a completely accurate map wouldn't have the contour lines stop right at the coastline (as cliffs aren't just an immediate drop-off) but, uh... oops!! I tried to add whatever you'd call the more accurate features in this map, but it was way too complicated for me to figure out in Photoshop. :)

What if England Kept the Pale of Calais

GQ6FxgU.png

As Queen Mary I's tyrannical rule over England solidified, 30,000 French Troops under the command of the Duc de Guise conspired to take the city. In 1559 the city fell to the French and solidified opinions in England against the reign of Queen Mary I. After Mary was replaced by Queen Elizabeth I, there was large clamor both in England and Calais that she would retake the city that had been an integral part of England since 1347. Elizabeth I answered the clamor, and in 1562 around 25,000 English troops disemarbarked near Dunkirk to retake Calais and aid the Huegnots as well. Though the English intervention in the French War of Religion went horribly, the English managed to retake Calais and France accepted the return of Calais to English rule most reluctantly. From 1563 - 1627, Calais underwent a massive boom in population as successive English monarchs and Kings upped the ante of the region's defenses and its economic surplus's in the face of virtual French blockade for over four decades. During the 1627 - 1629 Anglo-French War, a brief Siege of Calais was attempted, but before any momentum could be found by either the French or English, a status quo peace was signed.

Calais became a fortress. During the English Civil War, King Charles II took up residence in Calais and the city remained loyal to the Royalists, with the city repelling a Cromwellian invasion and a French invasion simultaneously showing its tenacity in the face of overwhelming odds. When Charles II was restored, Calais for its loyalty was seperated from the English Crown and became its own autonomous Lordship, though it was still represented in the English Parliament. Calais stood strong during the 9 Years War, Spanish War of Succession, Austrian War of Succession and the 7 Years War. Much like Gibraltar, during the American Revolution, from 1778 - 1783, the Great Siege of Calais took place. The city and pale was a warzone, yet the city held its head high, never having been conquered by the French then too. It's head was bloodied, but unbowed. This situation came to an end during the Revolutionary Wars, when Calais finally fell to overwhelming French forces, but it was returned during the Peace of Amiens. Napoleon retook the city during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1813, as Napoleonic France unravelled after the Battle of the Nations at Leipzig, the citizens of Calais rose up in revolt and threw out the French garrison, inviting the British back in during the Great Calais Revolt.

Since the Congress of Vienna, the Pale of Calais has been recognized as British by all nations. France gave up its claims on the region in 1816 and barring 1940 - 1944, when the city came under German Occupation during WW2, Calais has remained British. In 2005, it achieved devolution, despite its rather small size, and despite some real problems like the aftermath of Brexit, and a booming real estate question, the region remains proudly British.

Thoughts?

1672839647410.png

So, this is a map of a Modern-Day world. Well, mostly modern day. Something just feels a little different, right? Also, the date of the map is suggested to be 10/4/21. Why? It makes sense.
So, the darker colors for a nation are to represent territories that are not exactly a core part of the nation.
The Point of Divergence (PoD) is during the Russian Revolutionary War, lasting until 1930. The Soviets still win, but is weaker compared to Our Timeline (OTL). Other lore can be found in the spoilers below.
No Territorial Disputes, Civil Wars, etc. are shown.
1672840069603.png

After the Amero-Japanese War of 1941, a war which only lasted 2 years, and ended with America making some concessions to Japan (with Japan making some as well, refer to "Asia" spoiler), which made America insist on never integrating Alaska as a state of America. The Treaty also made America give some of the Southern Alaskan panhandle to Canada.

In 1943, Canada annexed Southern Alaska, naming the territory "Alaska Territory" (Someone tell me a better name for this please).
After plenty of Quebecois revolts, Canada grants Quebec limited autonomy, renaming the territories: Autonomous Zone of Quebec, Quebecois Zone of Newfoundland, Quebecois Zone of Labrador, Territory of King Louis Island (KLI), Quebecois Autonomous Zone of Nova Scotia, and Quebecois Autonomous Zone of New Brunswick
After decolonization, Canada was granted St. Pierre and Miquelon as well as Bermuda.

After decolonization, Belize was under threat by Guatemala. Eventually, the USA stepped in and annexed Belize. After the Amero-Guatemalan War of 1983, Guatemala was forced to never make a move to annex Belize again. Belize remains a US Territory.
Panama fell into economic despair (being literally chopped in half will do that to you). Eventually, during the War of 1983, America needed more space to stuff soldiers, and the government of Panama offered to just join America. Since then, Panama was a part of the US, becoming a state in 2013.
1672841254519.png

After Decolonization, Britain gave their Caribbean territories to Canada, with them all being organized into the Territory of Canadian Caribbea (spelled exactly as it was intended).

After Cuba became a communist nation, the US immediately launched an invasion of the island. The Cuba War had lasted only 3 months, with Cuba being unprepared for war, and being totally alone. Well, not totally alone, but not enough help for it to be valuable. Cuba has been a territory of the United States ever since.

Haiti and the Dominican Republic made an alliance, the Hispaniola Alliance, and came to Cuba's aid in the Cuba War. After the war with Cuba was over, Hispaniola still kept fighting. The Hispaniola War had lasted 2 years, with it only ending after the detonation of the Nuclear Warheads in Port-au-Prince and Santo Domingo. The island was a territory of the US ever since.
1672841693908.png

In 1928, with all of the world powers busy trying to defend the White Army, Brazil took the opportunity to invade and Annex Uruguay.

During decolonization, when Britain was on the verge of losing all of their colonies, Argentina came knocking, asking for "Islas Maldivas". Tensions began to escalate, and to avoid war, both sides agreed to split the archipelago.
1672842078939.png

The Kingdom of Morocco, after becoming independent of France, was to cautious to expand too quickly. The expanded a little bit, but were hesitant to claim more of the Spanish Sahara. The Spanish Sahara then had a referendum. Stay with Spain: 23.1% Independence: 32.4% Join Mauritania: 44.5%
They joined Mauritania.

During decolonization, the Gambia was handed over to Senegal. So was Guinea-Bissau.

In 1936, Ethiopia beat back the Italians, keeping their lands safe. Also, after a border dispute, Britain agreed to grant Somaliland to Ethiopia.

In 1937, a naval skirmish in the Arabian Sea led to Italy gaining control of Socotra. Socotra then became a part of Somalia during decolonization.
1672842649170.png

(yes, I am considering the Caucasus and Asia Minor as Europe for the sake of this explanation).
In 1937, the Spanish "Civil War" lasted only 3 weeks, with a massive influx of German, Italian, French and Portuguese volunteers fighting for the Nationalist side, and none for the Republicans. After the war, Spain pressured Britain to give up Gibraltar. In return, Spain would allow British passage through the straight.

Belgium, being too critical to both the Netherlands and France, both nations then signed a treaty with Britain, making their "guarantee" on Belgium void. The Netherlands annexed Flanders, France annexed Wallonia, and Germany annexed Ostbelgien in the year 1938. The City of Brussels remains independent as the City State of Belgium, renaming the city itself to Belgium. The nation is similar to Andorra in how it is lead. There are 5 leaders. The prime minister of France, the president of the Netherlands, the Chancellor of Germany, the king/queen of the United Kingdom, and an elected citizen of Belgium. A large crime empire is based here, due to there being laws dictating that Belgium allow free transportation, with no border checks, into the Netherlands, France, Germany and Britain.
Germany annexed Luxembourg in the Franco-German war to try and break French defenses. After the war, Luxembourg remained German.

Czechoslovakia is still standing today.

During the Italo-Yugoslav War, Italy led a large army into Ljubljana, and began heading down to Sarajevo and Belgrade. Desperate for an end to the war, Yugoslavia signed the Treaty of Zurich, stating that Yugoslavia would grant Italy some borderlands in a straight line in Slovenia, and Italy shall not invade any more into the Balkans. As the Italian invasion was really just a bluff, and the army was weakened by the Ethiopians still, the Italians signed the treaty, with hesitance of course.

Seeing a weakened larger power with lands that you want means that you take advantage of the opportunity. Albania did this, and invaded Yugoslavia. The Albanian military was strong, and forced Yugoslavia to give up Kosovo and Montenegro. Albania still has those lands today.

Seeing Albania further weaken the Yugoslav army was something in and of itself. It was spectacular. Well, if you were a Bulgarian, or a Greek. Bulgaria and Greece both wished for Macedonia, and eventually it hurt their relations. In an attempt to patch things up, Greece offers Thrace, as long as Bulgaria helps Greece claim Macedonia in it's entirety. Bulgaria agreed, and both nations invaded Yugoslavia. Bulgaria took a few borderlands, but not much. Just a kilometer or two. Greece took the entirety of Macedonia. The kilometer Bulgaria snatched has been returned to Serbia.

After seeing Bulgaria go head to head with Yugoslavia and "still require Greek assistance" gave Turkey something. An ambition. Turkey performed a false-flag operation, and started a war with Bulgaria. Turkey was easily defeated though, as after the 3rd Balkan Wars, the Balkan Peninsula made an alliance. Instead of just Bulgaria, it was also Greece, Yugoslavia, Albania and Romania. Italy also joined in as well. After the war, the rest of the Balkans decided to grant Bulgaria the entirety of Turkish land in the peninsula, mostly so they do not have a repeat of the Second Balkan War. Again. After the 4th Balkan Wars disintegrated Yugoslavia, the rest of the Balkan Pact tried to get all new nations in the Balkans to sign the pact. The only Yugoslav nation that has not signed the Balkan Pact is Slovenia.

After the Breakup of the USSR in 1995, Abkhazia and South Ossetia became independent. They are now major Georgian allies. Armenia was granted Nakhchivan, and Azerbaijan was defeated by the Caucasus Entente, and alliance between Georgia, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Armenia. Azerbaijan is now a member of the Caucasus Entente.

After the Fracno-German War of 1940, Germany decided to stay still. Their war with Poland weakened them, plus a war with France? Devastating on the military. Eventually, Poland rose up and even took some lands from Germany, but at least Germany still has Ostpreussen.

The Breakup of the USSR let Russia keep Belarus.

The Baltic nations united, centralizing in Riga. Finland, after winning the Winter War with the Soviet Union, decided that they should be given Estonia, as Estonia was Finnic, like Finland. Of course, Balticia was not having it. Eventually, Ireland decided to mediate the situation. Ireland came up with a solution: Create a jointly-ruled nation, similar to how Andorra has always been, and how Belgium has been since 1938. In 1946, the creation of Finno-Baltic Estonia was accomplished. The King of Finland is one leader, the President of Balticia is the other.

Ukraine has declared independence from Russia in 1994, and tried to claim Ukrainian lands in Southern Bessarabia. Romania refused, and Ukraine still claims the land. The tensions between Ukraine and the Balkan Pact are high, and chances of war are high. In fact, it is thought that early next year, war will break out.
1672845771441.png

During the Russian Revolution, China managed to keep hold of Tuva, after making a treaty with Mongolia to guarantee Chinese stuff to get there. Mongolia eventually constructed the Huang-Tuva Highway, with high funding from China.

The Kuomintang won the Chinese Civil War, with the Communist Party going into Tibetan Exile, being unofficially called the People's Monastic Commune of Tibet. Well, maybe not unofficially for long.

With no communist support, UN forces defeated North Korea.

After the Amero-Japanese War of 1941, Japan had to make some concessions. Japan was forced to give up Taiwan to the Philippines, who named the island "(La) Isla (de) Formosa".

Due to little Japanese invasion of India, Burma remains with India.

India signs a treaty with Pakistan: India will allow Pakistan to annex half of Kashmir and use the Pakistani Exclusive Highway to traverse from Pakistan's mainland to Bengal.

Japan was a victim of Decolonization, and quite early too. They at least kept that little island to the south (forgot the name, oof), and got the entirety of Sakhalin. Also, there was a coup that brought down the militaristic power structure and turned Japan from a land of samurai into a land of weebs.
1672846593260.png

Literally nothing happened here.

Any thoughts or comments? Do not hesitate to share them.
Why am I doing this to myself? I had a lot of fun doing this.

So I'm new here, but I have several map ideas, anyone know any good map making tools/sites/programs or things in general?
I use PaintZ with Worlda Base Maps myself. I can use it on my school chromebook, and Worlda combats one of PaintZ's downfalls: multi-colored pixels on maps. Sure, Worlda looks basic, but it does work. Fore more advanced maps, try what everyone else is suggesting.

While can see a defeated India agree to give up Kashmir proper, Giving up Hindu majority Jammu would require a unconditional surrender which is.... Pretty unrealistic.

Also why give Taiwan to the Phillipines? A far better option is independence or annexation

While can see a defeated India agree to give up Kashmir proper, Giving up Hindu majority Jammu would require a unconditional surrender which is.... Pretty unrealistic.

Also why give Taiwan to the Phillipines? A far better option is independence or annexation
The Jammu Issue. Let us just say that there was a war, and Pakistan was making too many gains for India to deem it worth to keep Jammu. Besides, the treaty lets them keep Kashmir, and they already have Burma, so it just seems not worth it to keep that land.
(Also, it was easier for me that way, but don't tell them that.)

The Taiwan thing, well, in this world, it was just Japan versus America, and America had to lose some land, so Japan had to lose some land, but they wouldn't really want to give MORE to China, after having given them Manchuria in favour of American lands. Sure, they didn't get anything out of it, but they would likely much rather have Taiwan be Phillippine, belonging to the victor (The Philippines was run by the United States at the time of the war), then China, who stayed on the sidelines. You know, the whole honor thing they had at that time. Why not have an independent Taiwan? Because there never was any independent nation on Taiwan. (Not trying to delve into this issue much further, so just click Taiwan and figure out that answer yourself as to why people say Taiwan is independent today.)
Greek Vardar Macedon is also pointless, especially in exchange for Thrace. The Greeks want the straits far more than they want Bitola.
Bulgaria had owned Thrace before the Second Balkan war, and Greece has historically been based in Macedonia before. I would like to think that Greece would much rather let Bulgaria have what was theirs before than be on their bad side. Plus, it is always nice to have an ally if you are involved in a Balkan War, like the 3rd Balkan War here, where Italy, Albania, Bulgaria and Greece took some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.