Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
East Prussia is not going to survive in any scenario after Third Reich is defeated.
If the Soviets never make it past their pre-war borders or the Molotov–Ribbentrop line? It might happen (although the Soviet sputtering out at that point puts the whole defeat of the Nazis part in question to say the least).
In 1927, the Senussi did it against all odds. The Italians had been reduced to Tripoli, Benghazi, Derna and Tobruk. The Senussi Libyans mobilized the last of their strength and laid siege to the four remnant cities of Italian Libya. The Italians held the cities for nearly a year, but by 1928, Tripoli fell to the Senussi, and the Italians, had been kicked out of Libya.

Thoughts and Comments?
The Libyan monarchy has a decent cushion of Nationalist Cred(tm) in this Timeline. I would like to say it could not be plausibly burned through by the 21st century, but people can screw up badly.

If the Soviets never make it past their pre-war borders or the Molotov–Ribbentrop line? It might happen (although the Soviet sputtering out at that point puts the whole defeat of the Nazis part in question to say the least).
Even lack of victorious Stalin, pushing for Oder Neisse, does not change fact, that WAllies and Polish government in exile has seen existence of East Prussia as source of future conflicts, that must be solved. East Prussia was doomed.

Greater Poland, by gxblt
After years of abuse and mistreatment, I've decided to give poor old Poland a break.

Welcome to a world where an entire nation's water supply was contaminated with Felix Felicis for hundreds of years.

Welcome to a world were Teutonic Cossacks patrol the Steppes, emancipated serfs cultivate the potato and the sugar beet, and an educated class of Yiddish clerks and administrators oversee the extraction, manufacture and trade of furs, salt, copper, gold, textiles and much, much more. English artisans supervise naval projects and German and Dutch stonemasons and architects dig canals and pave roads. French and Swiss master gunsmiths are employed in the armories of Tula and the Kama valley, producing the instruments of eastward expansion into the dangerous steppe.

Ar9BC9S.png

After years of abuse and mistreatment, I've decided to give poor old Poland a break.

Welcome to a world where an entire nation's water supply was contaminated with Felix Felicis for hundreds of years.

Welcome to a world were Teutonic Cossacks patrol the Steppes, emancipated serfs cultivate the potato and the sugar beet, and an educated class of Yiddish clerks and administrators oversee the extraction, manufacture and trade of furs, salt, copper, gold, textiles and much, much more. English artisans supervise naval projects and German and Dutch stonemasons and architects dig canals and pave roads. French and Swiss master gunsmiths are employed in the armories of Tula and the Kama valley, producing the instruments of eastward expansion into the dangerous steppe.

Ar9BC9S.png
But, can Poland into space?

The question is how East Slavic Orthodox Christianity (or for that matter Protestantism) fares here. I suspect that suppressing the sees of Kiev and Moscow would cause way too many problems across far too much of the realms in question so a full-on Counter-Reformation may be off the table, but how many who end up respectable Szlachta families end up holding to their ancestral rites even after mastering proper Polish?

Last edited:

Ar9BC9S.png
Cool.

🙂 Obligatory ortographic and grammatical nitpicks:
Should be:
Gdańsk
Kowno
Smoleńsk
Mohylew
Teodoro
Kubań
Donieck
Samara nad Wołgą
Sól Kamska
Sól nad Wyczegdą - I don't know what is the adjective of Wyczegda, but adj. from Wołogda, a word with the same -gda ending is wołogodzki/-a/-ie so maybe Sól Wyczegodzka
Bielice (Biełice sounds Russian, I am not sure if you can even have łi combination in Polish besides phonetically written foreign borrowings like weekend)

Małe stany Niemieckie >>> małe państwa niemieckie

Jagóśihka - I have no idea what you were trying to do here, but anyway in Polish you generally don't write ć, dź, ń, ś, ź before i, as the following i softens the preceding c, dz,n, s, z by a rule anyways
Imładrisz - lol (Poles would do terrible things to that word, especially with the combination of ethnicities and languages that could be a thing in a frontier location like that - probably already did, to get that word in the first place...)

Last edited:
rather like i did earlier this year, (i think) i got a bit burned out on mapmaking so i'm back to refining my notes on Dichotomy instead. i was luckily able to find basically every idea for how to readjust TTL's geography from what it was before, though, so hopefully i'll be able to get back to that relatively soon. hopefully after actually getting some peer input ;) there's alot more to it now than what i posted before, but also not as much as the more complete previous versions i've posted and it's also obviously still a WIP
Dichotomy World Map (v02).png

unlike before, i have alot of intentional placeholder colors and borders here. i'd particularly appreciate help on figuring out some more of the alternate United States (though i'm "nearly done" with that since i'm going to be intentionally making the interior states kind of arbitrary to parallel the more straight-lined geography of that region IOTL; i made a thread for that not too long ago, but didn't get any bites :p).

it was the US stuff in particular that i think burned me out for lack of ideas on where to go with it and the most recent additions are on Egypt and Mesopotamia in particular (the latter even having a new name now--it's officially going to be "Nahrain" in TTL's modern period, from the Arabic for "Mespotamia", where for the longest time it really was just "Mesopotamia"). Egyptian tan is being used to represent the maximum possible southward extent of the country ITTL, which i decided to model on the capital cities of Ancient Egypt.

i also carved off a bit of Spain for Catalonia compared to the previous map i posted.

the red bits in Africa are, of course, placeholders indicating where some countries/overseas provinces are roughly going to be located.

that's about all i have to say on the less-obvious stuff here ("straight lines in the desert" for North Africa are essentially expected and were done deliberately here, for cotrast). thoughts? i really would appreciate some input on what else i could try to do with states on the outer edges of the US--it's like finding the edge pieces on a puzzle

The most plausible one.....
What part: the rUK containing both Wales and England becoming the 'Kingdom of England' or the part where despite having a lower fertility rate than the rUK and almost certainly a worse economy Scotland's population grows whilst rUK's shrinks?

Ar9BC9S.png
Beautiful! Love the style

15 degrees north to the Equator, to a virgin Earth
ISOT15N-0.png

The Caribbean is locked into an interesting situation, one that closely resembles the old "Concert of Europe." No one power really dominates, and if one begins to all the others will team up against it. Colombia is the leading power of them all, beginning with the largest population, along with bringing Panama and Ecuador into the fold, has allowed them to be the closest thing that the region has to a superpower. Venezuela and France are the next most powerful states, who in contrast to Colombia rely more on their navies and overseas expansion. The two have fought over Hispaniola, Cuba, the Antilles, and now they fight in the Pyrenees, as Venezuelan settlers spill over into French claimed land. Sparce Brazil is slowly reclaiming their old country, one village at a time, and many a pioneer state have set up shop in what once was Mexico. One state that is of note is "New Tobago" in Louisiana, An ex-colony of Trinidad and Tobago that fancies itself the successor to the United States, and is growing quite rapidly.

Much of Western and Central Africa, reliant on import of food and fertilizer, fell into complete and utter anarchy after the warp. and the region has since been split into many small states. Much of the region is still balkanized and violent, but islands of stability have emerged. Fangland, Oduduwa, Biafra, Ghana, Senegal, Dahomey, Sokoto, and Uganda, just to name a few. These countries have been flexing their muscles more and more on the international stage, and this trend will only continue. Many fled north or south to escape the chaos, and trade across the Sahara is extremely lucrative. The Venezuelans even went so far as to establish a nation for these refugees in the "Moorish Republic", which is totally not just a place where they can throw incoming Muslims so the local administration in Seville doesn't have to deal with them, what would give you that idea?

In Eastern Africa, things were much more stable, at least relatively. Some outlying regions did break off from Ethiopia, and Somalian unity fell apart completely, but there was not a large famine and die off at least, so that's a plus. The Ethiopians rebuilt the Suez and settled Egypt and the Holy Land, and those regions have since gained a status like the dominions of the British Empire of old, thanks to their distance from Addis Ababa.

India was left with only its far southern provinces. Some of the wealthiest and most stable regions, but also the most culturally distinct and strong histories of independence. Unity was maintained by keeping a federal structure and playing off Pan-Indianism. India is among the premier powers of the Indian Ocean.

Indonesia was not able to handle the warp, and broke into many regions. The Riau Islands and West Kalimantan ended up joining Malaysia, East Kalimantan, the Moluccas, Aceh, and Sulawesi went their own separate ways, and only North Sumatra and Riau remained. Malaysia is the most powerful nation here, settling Borneo and Java has allowed their population to explode, and already being relatively rich has allowed them to be one of most powerful nations on earth. But it is hard to throw one's weight around when those around you are almost as heavy as you. Manila, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, and Pondichery are all nearly as powerful as Kuala Lumpur, just to list a few.

The Pacific Island nations don't really want to unite, but in most ways they already have. They operate with basically one foreign policy, and share one common military. They even share their colonies. The only exception is Guam, which fancies itself the successor to the USA, and is settling Hawaii on its own.

Halfway done!

What part: the rUK containing both Wales and England becoming the 'Kingdom of England' or the part where despite having a lower fertility rate than the rUK and almost certainly a worse economy Scotland's population grows whilst rUK's shrinks?
The first one, I think scottish economy wouldn’t be too bad. Also more laxed immigration policy than England might result in increased population on their part.

Most common U.S. baby boy names, 2020 (FNM-verse), by Osk
Most common baby boy names in the U.S. for 2020 (FNM-verse):

mostpopularbabyboynames2020.png

Featuring American Standart English spellings for the names.

Last edited:
CJgOmqy.png

This is about 775CE by our reckoning.
It follows on from the 3rd Punic War map.

Carthage turned away from the European lands to concentrate on the Arabian revolt of the mid-late 600’s. Based upon the writing about an obscure prophet from Judea, that many say is an imitation of the Roman God, Mithras, having many similarities, a new Prophet, bin Abdullah, united the Arabs under the new Jesumite faith. The converts erupted from Arabia, over-running Syria and Egypt but failing to inspire their new subjects to join their crusade. Unwilling to pursue aggression against the Sassanian and Roman Empires, border lands were ceded to them allowing the Jesumite State to concentrate on the west, advancing along the northern coast of Libya, capturing Tripoli before being defeated three times, including the loss of an entire army at Misrata where the son of the Prophet was killed.

The Jesumite State suffered a short Succession War during which Carthage nearly re-gained Egypt before suffering further revolts in Northern Iberia and Sicily, supported by the main fleet.
Lack of shipping meant that reinforcements were unable to reach Sicily although a trickle of troops made the crossing at the Pillars before being blockaded. Despite a massive shipbuilding effort, Carthage was never able to match the Rebels’ Fleet level.

Carthage was forced to conclude disadvantageous peace treaties. Egypt was Ceded to the Jesumites, Northern Iberia became an independent Euskal with a mixed Basque-Occitan population. To achieve complete peace, a treaty was signed with the Wolof rebels of Western Libya where they had been de facto independent for two centuries despite constant skirmishing.

Cut off from trade with the East and having lost the grain producing areas of Egypt and Sicily, Carthage looked for another route to the spice trade. Although discovering proto-nations at the mouth of a great river in Southern Libya they were unable to carry supplies enough to allow them to the known ports of the South-eastern Libyan continent.

Some ships were blown off course, reporting gold rich lands to the West, Carthage have colonized some areas and the extra gold is useful to purchase spices.

The Zoroastrian Sassanian Empire was shattered by defeats at the hands of Tang forces in Transoxiana but they have returned to China to deal with the usurpation of the Tang throne by the mother of the Emperor. The Jesumites have seized the islands in the strait of Hormuz, hoping to re-direct trade to it’s ports. If the Tang get their act together and send a fleet to the Gulf they may be in for a surprise.

The Tartessian remnant of Carthage's Iberian provinces gained independence peacefully in exchange for advantageous trade agreements over Tin. They have moved the Capital to Gades as dredging the Tartessian Gulf to ensure sea access to Tartessos had become too expensive.

Elsewhere in Europe;

The Duchy of Saxony, having expelled the Danish tribes from Jutland are now, allied with the new Wendish settlers to the East, resisting Avar raids along the coast.

Slavic peoples are migrating to escape the mounted Nomadic tribes along the Eastern Roman Empire.

From North to South; the Avars, Bulgars and Pechengs are being pressured by further tribes following behind.

The Western Roman Empire is no more, the Franks and Burgundians rule there now.

The Empire of Rome still exists but is just waiting for someone to come along and conquer it.

Sicily has conquered the Neapolitan State and maintains itself by raiding and piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.