Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
One hundred years after the PRC and it's claimed territories are ISOT'd to a virgin earth
I really enjoy the map--but there are obvious problems of demography that others have raised, and I won't repeat them here.

Another question is the status of Tibet. Tibetan esoteric buddhism and Chinese buddhism are really as far apart from one another as they could be. Tibet assuming spiritual leadership seems like maybe, the Mormons becoming leaders of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Tibetan lamaist order did assume supremacy over Chinese buddhist orders at some point, though that was moreso thanks to the domination of Manchu and Mongolic Dynasties.

Independent Hong Kong in the previous map...that seems unlikely too considering Hong Kong produces essentially no food of it's own.

I must say I'm very tempted to do a cover of your scenario--though of course I won't without your permission!

Last edited:
*snip*​
My what if on what if the Free City of Danzig continued its existence into the modern era. Like most of eastern Europe, it was occupied by the soviets, turned into a communist state in 1948, and then reverted back into a normal regime in 1989-1990. Thoughts and comments?

Very unlikely. Since most of the population is German, these Germans will be expelled still and the area will be added to Poland. I don't really see a possibility to let Danzig survive.
Plus the population of more than a million is unrealistic. If Danzig would really survive against all odds, it would have a population of half a million, 600.000 maximum.

This is a very beautiful map and a pretty interesting scenario, but just one thing, which is that OTL, one of the main reasons that the Fashoda incident didn't devolve into a war, alongside the Dreyfus Affair oc, was that France did not want Britain as an enemy in the slightest. The Captain who caused the incident kind of acted on his own will, or according to some theories, on the will of some isolated general or governor. In 1894, France and Britain had started secret meetings to lay the bases of a military alliance against Germany, as their growing power scared them both.
Now, I'm not saying the Fashoda incident wasn't a big thing, or minor or anything, but people tend to make it out as that huge thing that could've caused WW1, and like, there is a reason it didn't, which is that then, no one among the parties involved wanted a war. In 1914, everyone wanted a war, Germany and A-H may have offered Europe the War, but France, Britain and Russia were more than happy to accept it with open arms.
All of that to say that, you should, imo, possibly need to have either Germany not growing as fast as a main power as it did OTL in the 1890's (which would require to not have Wilhelm on the throne so that'll be hard to do), or to get in a way things to sour as soon as the early to mid 1890's between France and Britain, as to make those meetings which lasted from 1894 to 1903, when the plans for the final Entente Cordiale including Britain were drafted, sterile. A good way of doing this could be by making Russia a bigger threat, real or in the British mind, as to, once that the alliance between France and Russia is signed in 1895, render the possibility of a Franco-British alliance lapsed, with a Fashoda incident only burying further any ideas of friendship that the two governments might still be considering.
However, I don't believe that the Fashoda Incident, even with the 1894 Franco-British rapprochement yeeted away, could lead Britain to side closer to Germany. At best, they'll see France as too arrogant, stubborn and demanding to deal with, while they'd see Germany as too powerful, too dangerous and threatening to even consider letting it continue its progress.
Because a thing people (Mind, not you in particular, just a very common trope in Alternate History), tend to forget is that not only Germany by the early 1890's is representing the biggest threat to British hegemony and the second greatest threat to Britain in the British mind (the first place going to Russia), but France has been trying to get closer to Britain as early as 1830 (granted, there were interruptions, such as from 1871 to 1887, because Thiers, MacMahon and Grévy didn't see the interest in allying Britain, were distrustful of them or just didn't gave a fuck, but with Sadi Carnot and the short lived mandate of Jean-Casimir Perrier, the interest in having Britain as a partner, at first for colonial purposes, the idea that Britain and France can help each other grab as much of Asia, Oceania and Africa as they may, and then from 1895 to 1913, when the mentality is that Britain is the only way for France to beat Germany. All the while, Prussia didn't try that much to get closer to Britain in the first half of the century, in fact the Schleswig Wars, and to an extent the Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian wars in 1866 and 1870 only drew Britain further from Prussia, as no one likes a rising power (I know Prussia is already a power then, read it as no one like someone important gaining more power). Granted, by 1871, a British-German alliance is still well alive on the table, and seems much more appetising than a Franco-British one, since the Empire was overthrown and Napoleon IV won't reign, but there is still the fact lying around that, well, the centuries old Franco-British enmity had its grave dug by Louis-Philippe, and then Napoleon III gladly shoved it down there. For most of the 19th century, it's not the Franco-British enmity talking, it's simply the game of Great Powers, as France and Britain did found themselves more times on the same side, may it be at war, in diplomacy or in simple ideas, than in nearly a millennia of co-existence.

End rant.
The Fashoda Incident wasn't the only thing ITL that made the Entente not exist. Like you said about Russia, Russia was a major force due to the Scramble of China. I agree with you about a lot of the things you've talked about in here, and if I were to change the lore proceeding the Fashoda Incident. Therefore im going to change the lore (at least for Germany) to align with the current status of the Warlords etc. I saw plot holes already in my lore for Germany and the proceeding as Germany has stayed basically the same as OTL. Therefore...

1. Wilhelm II is assassinated in 1901 by an anarchist when visiting Bremen, Germany. Resulting in his son, also named Wilhelm, to become the German Emperor.
  2. Wilhelm doesn't become a cool-headed and powerful political leader like most of alt history thinks he would. He's shocked by the death of his father (who's 42). As well as not entirely being prepared for leading the country, he establishes a de-facto constitutional monarchy.
  3. Wilhelm II's colonial policies are still assorted in China and the Americas, however, the German Army begins to slowly take over the political scheme.
  4. B/C of Wilhelm II's death, Germany isn't seen as much as a powerful threat in comparison to the continental spanning Russian Empire, who recently gained access to much of Northern China after the Russo-Japanese War. Resulting in Britain, with tensions with France already at a head, to cut off the Entente agreements, as the Great Game slowly re-asserts itself.
  5. At the start of WW1, Wilhelm is a weakening political figure, eventually his position growing to be only ceremonial, with the army de-facto taking control of the nation.
  6. The situation grows out of control by 1918, as German Republicans initiate a revolt and the German Empire falls to pieces, some still fighting their enemies.
  7. Wilhelm goes to the Kingdom of Prussia to seek refuge as the king, but when the Republicans inevitably defeat them, Wilhelm goes into peaceful exile.

I appreciate you checking my lore, let me know if this seems to be more fitting

The Fashoda Incident wasn't the only thing ITL that made the Entente not exist. Like you said about Russia, Russia was a major force due to the Scramble of China. I agree with you about a lot of the things you've talked about in here, and if I were to change the lore proceeding the Fashoda Incident. Therefore im going to change the lore (at least for Germany) to align with the current status of the Warlords etc. I saw plot holes already in my lore for Germany and the proceeding as Germany has stayed basically the same as OTL. Therefore...

1. Wilhelm II is assassinated in 1901 by an anarchist when visiting Bremen, Germany. Resulting in his son, also named Wilhelm, to become the German Emperor.
  2. Wilhelm doesn't become a cool-headed and powerful political leader like most of alt history thinks he would. He's shocked by the death of his father (who's 42). As well as not entirely being prepared for leading the country, he establishes a de-facto constitutional monarchy.
  3. Wilhelm II's colonial policies are still assorted in China and the Americas, however, the German Army begins to slowly take over the political scheme.
  4. B/C of Wilhelm II's death, Germany isn't seen as much as a powerful threat in comparison to the continental spanning Russian Empire, who recently gained access to much of Northern China after the Russo-Japanese War. Resulting in Britain, with tensions with France already at a head, to cut off the Entente agreements, as the Great Game slowly re-asserts itself.
  5. At the start of WW1, Wilhelm is a weakening political figure, eventually his position growing to be only ceremonial, with the army de-facto taking control of the nation.
  6. The situation grows out of control by 1918, as German Republicans initiate a revolt and the German Empire falls to pieces, some still fighting their enemies.
  7. Wilhelm goes to the Kingdom of Prussia to seek refuge as the king, but when the Republicans inevitably defeat them, Wilhelm goes into peaceful exile.

I appreciate you checking my lore, let me know if this seems to be more fitting
Yep this seems very good, the enmity between France and Britain there makes sense, and while I would've guessed that Wilhelm III would've continued in his father's steps, even more if said father had been assassinated while Wilhelm was still pretty young, we couldn't know for sure, we'd need to completely know the psyche of the man to understand how he'd respond and cope, so any result is as valid as the other ones imo.

Why has Finland gained Kola and all of Karelia but lost Vyborg, their second largest city?
Dunno
Is this better?
United_We_Fight__revised_.png

I really enjoy the map--but there are obvious problems of demography that others have raised, and I won't repeat them here.

Another question is the status of Tibet. Tibetan esoteric buddhism and Chinese buddhism are really as far apart from one another as they could be. Tibet assuming spiritual leadership seems like maybe, the Mormons becoming leaders of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Tibetan lamaist order did assume supremacy over Chinese buddhist orders at some point, though that was moreso thanks to the domination of Manchu and Mongolic Dynasties.

Independent Hong Kong in the previous map...that seems unlikely too considering Hong Kong produces essentially no food of it's own.

I must say I'm very tempted to do a cover of your scenario--though of course I won't without your permission!
(I honestly wasn't aware how different Chinese Buddhism was from Tibetan) A lot buddhists would face discrimination as certain nations wanted to "keep pure" after the ISOT. Tibet was simply the most stable, and a majority buddhist state, post ISOT. Their influence is more prominent over Mongolia though, being more similar, and both being in the AEA.
I've gone back and made Hong Kong part of Guangdong. HK saw a large emigration to the rest of Guangdong since.
Feel free to do a cover! I don't do a lot of ISOTs, so I'd love to see your take on it

I'm pretty sure that Mongolia would be majority Han, thanks to Inner Mongolia. Unless there has been some...unpleasantness.

Also, both Uyghuristan and Tibet have large Han populations.
There was less outright genocide and more so states favoring their primary ethnicity for subsidies. Though I'm sure the OTL PRC's hijinks in Tibet would leave a bad taste in their mouth, Tibet exiling Han Chinese, destroying PRC-built industries, that sort of apocalypse induced madness. Sever decades of war and famine probably wouldn't do good for demographics either, like OTL Europe.

Very unlikely. Since most of the population is German, these Germans will be expelled still and the area will be added to Poland. I don't really see a possibility to let Danzig survive.
Plus the population of more than a million is unrealistic. If Danzig would really survive against all odds, it would have a population of half a million, 600.000 maximum.
Maybe Prussia becomes a Soviet satellite and the Germans aren't expelled (except for maybe in parts with a large Polish minority) and Gdansk becomes a directly-ruled Soviet possession with the German population expelled and replaced with Russians.

Idk if I'm doing this right, I've never posted in this thread before. Also this is my first time making a qbam map, so tell me if there is anything I could improve stylistically.

usareunited.png

Sequel to this map:
In the 1940s the newly reformed United States faced the second of its great challenges. It faced of in the brutal second world war against the Nazi Midwest Republic, who sided with Nazi Prussia and Bavaria because of large German influence from many immigrants to the area. After 5 brutal years of fighting the allied powers defeated the Nazis in America and Europe. There were plans to split the Midwest Republic so that no terrible war like that could ever happen again, but the US stepped in and said that the Midwest Republic should be integrated into America to promote pan-americanism. After annexation America started a large campaign of Americanization and denazification to integrate the Midwesterners into America. The late 1900s were one of prosperity in America, siding with the Franco-British Union in the Cold War against the Soviet Union. The US continued to expand west after parts of Northern Louisiana voted to join the United States. Today America is one of the great powers in the world, having lots of influence in the Americas and a prosperous economy.

Last edited:
Covid-19 vaccination rates in the Sublime Ottoman State, by Sārthākā
xjoHLa8.png

Think i saw an Ottoman vaccination graphic on reddit once, and i was kinda inspired by it to make my own, being the ottoman geek that i am, he. Anyway this is my Ottoman Vaccination Map & Infographic, Thoughts and Comments?

xjoHLa8.png

Think i saw an Ottoman vaccination graphic on reddit once, and i was kinda inspired by it to make my own, being the ottoman geek that i am, he. Anyway this is my Ottoman Vaccination Map & Infographic, Thoughts and Comments?
I'm guessing areas with pilgrimage sites are going to have to have high levels of vaccinations, just because of the number of people that will be passing through there.

Maybe Prussia becomes a Soviet satellite and the Germans aren't expelled (except for maybe in parts with a large Polish minority) and Gdansk becomes a directly-ruled Soviet possession with the German population expelled and replaced with Russians.
East Prussia is not going to survive in any scenario after Third Reich is defeated.

[50+ Likes] What have the Romans ever done for us? -A Britannic Manifesto, by Prince di Corsica
As usual, crossposting from the MotF thread. Questions, comments, anything is welcomed!

WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?
a Britannic Manifesto

FxAo6PK.png

So, this was a tough one for me to decide, but I think I finally reached a good idea and pulled it well.

The essential idea is a Roman industrial revolution, specifically one starting in the late reign of Augustus and kickstarted by the inventions of Vitruvius, who hence gets to have his name attached to the notion of "industrial". I know it's a cliché, that's why I ditched my original idea of a pan-Empire map (which would have the twist that the Roman industrial revolution had led to an end of slavery as a system and generally improved lives, even if still dealing with many great societal injustices), and decided to focus on a province. My first thought was Hispania, but I wasn't seeing what twist to give it; I just happened to be reading a book including a few articles about the Indian independence movement, so the idea of a coal-rich Britannia revolting against a Roman Empire that takes a lot and gives back to little would be interesting. So here we have it, with a Monty Python reference to tie it all together.

Now, there's a bunch of things I thought about including in the map that I didn't have the space/time to put, so here's some extra depth:

1. I imagine the Britannic independence movement would be internally divided among different class interests, namely between a Briton working class, toiling under what must imagine were horrific even for OTL's standards of early industrial economy, wanting to improve their livelihoods, get decent paychecks and actually gain something from their labour; the traditional chieftains and druids, wanting their old privileges and power back and to kick out the Romans, but reactionary towards the new machinery that they associate with Roman exploitation and with further social tensions, and a rising Briton bourgeoisie (mostly traders) who just want their country's mineral wealth to be in their hands, rather than the hands of faraway Romans. Whether these three parts would stick together to kick out the Romans and then fight, or whether they would split first and oppose the Romans individually, I'm not sure. Both are plausible scenarios that have happened historically.

2. I can imagine Roman Britannia to be a quagmire for the Empire, indispensably wealthy and yet so difficult of controlling, with the legions being forced to repress the population on a quotidian basis, causing a climate of further hatred. It would even be possible for Roman soldiers, returning to Britannia for the nth time, to deal with further uprisings there to protect the coal mines of the wealthy, would start to wonder who the true liability to their lives are, the Britons or the Empire...

3. I can just see global warming happening like crazy here. In fact, I have this idea for a sequel to this map that would just be the Roman Empire facing all of the above + an agricultural crisis over the fact that the climate is shifting and the Nile's Delta is UNDERWATER

Senussi Emirate of Libya, by Sārthākā
LIBYA.png

In 1927, the Senussi did it against all odds. The Italians had been reduced to Tripoli, Benghazi, Derna and Tobruk. The Senussi Libyans mobilized the last of their strength and laid siege to the four remnant cities of Italian Libya. The Italians held the cities for nearly a year, but by 1928, Tripoli fell to the Senussi, and the Italians, had been kicked out of Libya. In Italy, Mussolini's Regime was ousted by the military who took over in a coup, instituting a more 'normal' far-right military government (instead of fascism), and in Libya, Idris I continued the slow and steady development of the nation - with British, French and Turkish investments, in particular, being heavily helpful to the nation. In 1939, the Libyans initially declared neutrality in the developments of WW2, but the entry of Italy in late 1939 on the German Side forced Libya to re-evaluate its defenses, and military. Italy did launch surprise raids into Libyan ports in early 1940 forcing Libya to declare war on the Axis joining the war on the side of the allies. Libyan troops fought predominantly in the East African Theatre from 1940 - 41, aiding the British in mopping up the region easily, before it was used as a platform by the British and Americans to deal with the Vichy French in North Africa in 1941 - 42. In the 1942 Allied Invasion of Italy, Libyan Troops constituted a good 15.62% of the invading force. In 1945, when the war ended, the Libyans had taken up 3449 military casualties in WW2, and were known - in particular in Italy - for their unorthodox, fluid and heavy endurance during fighting. After WW2, the nation settled down to become a prosperous nation by African standards, enjoying high living standards. Thoughts and Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.