Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Beach

Banned
I realise there's a bit of backlash against WIPS recently so this'll be my last update of my Teutoburg map before the full thing. Still working out the Pacific business, colours, names and all that nonsense but this is more or less the general shape of the world. Though I might change up South America, kinda hideous, ditto North Africa.

Teutoburg - Copy.png

The economic benefit of that isn't really worth the risk of war there. And it's pretty hard to defend when the only ports are open like 4 months a year.

Would there really be war? Not just continually escalating, increasingly insistent US requests to, hey guys, just let us buy this stupid land already, okay?

With a further north US border, there’s going to be something like the OTL… what was it called, the thing where the US passed a Canadian annexation bill extending an annexation offer that the Canadians just ignored in the typical way: putting on a smile, glazing their eyes, and pretending they didn’t hear. Would they respond that way TTL?

Why isn't Africa Africa?

Because Donutu Trumbusi lost the relevant election and wasn’t able to Make Africa Africa Again.

Would there really be war? Not just continually escalating, increasingly insistent US requests to, hey guys, just let us buy this stupid land already, okay?

With a further north US border, there’s going to be something like the OTL… what was it called, the thing where the US passed a Canadian annexation bill extending an annexation offer that the Canadians just ignored in the typical way: putting on a smile, glazing their eyes, and pretending they didn’t hear. Would they respond that way TTL?

Any shared border leads to some level of increased war risk.

I realise there's a bit of backlash against WIPS recently so this'll be my last update of my Teutoburg map before the full thing. Still working out the Pacific business, colours, names and all that nonsense but this is more or less the general shape of the world. Though I might change up South America, kinda hideous, ditto North Africa.

View attachment 285767
I'd fiddle with the borders of that territory located in OTL Panama/Colombia. It straddles the Andes in a way that would be impossible to defend. If you look at a topographic map you'll see why.

SVHHSvh.png

That part jutting into the continent basically takes a big chunk out of the center of that valley (which contains a lot of Colombia's OTL urban areas, so not some valley nobody is going to want) while ignoring the southernmost part of it, and then the border juts over the mountain range into a piece of jungle. It's hard to imagine a European colonizer wanting anything east of the mountain range without first collecting the coastal areas to be able to actually access it.

Now there's a whole lotta China.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Why isn't Africa Africa?

Maybe the name Africa/Ifriquiya/other variation is being used only for North Africa, as it was for the Romans.

Close. The Kingdom of Ifriquiya is that Morocco looking kindom, no great rationale beyond Numidia just becoming more popular to use to describe the entire continent.

I'd fiddle with the borders of that territory located in OTL Panama/Colombia. It straddles the Andes in a way that would be impossible to defend. If you look at a topographic map you'll see why.

SVHHSvh.png

That part jutting into the continent basically takes a big chunk out of the center of that valley (which contains a lot of Colombia's OTL urban areas, so not some valley nobody is going to want) while ignoring the southernmost part of it, and then the border juts over the mountain range into a piece of jungle. It's hard to imagine a European colonizer wanting anything east of the mountain range without first collecting the coastal areas to be able to actually access it.

Cool. I'll edit it, thanks. I try to be realistic with my borders (mostly mountains, edge of biomes, some convergent borders) so any criticisms of stuff that just doesn't make geographic sense is more than welcome.

Now there's a whole lotta China.

Well yah. I noticed I tend to really beat them up in my maps. To be fair they make it very easy. But I felt it was about time for their time in the sun. And I like the dynamic of a Roman successor (in this case Tarraconenium) not being the most powerful polity on Earth.

I thought most of the beaver trade was towards the OTL border? I recall reading that Winnipeg was the hub. I may well be wrong, through.

The economic benefit of that isn't really worth the risk of war there. And it's pretty hard to defend when the only ports are open like 4 months a year.

Ok so it's not a good reason but it's still a reason, sort of, kind of, not really.
Actually the western part is probably the most populous and controllable. Most of BC is still there plus Alaska.
The central area, north Ontario and prari provinces would get sold to the us

Status
Not open for further replies.