Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Were the Hong Kong originated light AA units equipped with Bofors 40mm L/60 in late 1941? I don't have any reference, but would have thought that two pounder pom-poms would be more likely...and probably LV guns, i.e. Mk II, at that.
Hi JWilly48519, good question, yes they had some Bofors 40mm, but only a limited number, and undoubtedly the pom-pom gun was also present, there was a number mounted on auxiliary ships for instance. Also some light AA units were equipped with the Lewis light machine gun.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
I’ve just been rereading McAuslan, so I was looking out for RG Lees and the Gordon’s! Hopefully it’ll be a better war for all of them. Very nice to get a picture of who’s there ITTL.

Congratulations to the boy, and have a good time in Prague!
and
Here’s tae us! Wha’s like us?
as well as
Damn few, and they’re all deid.
I did think about brigading them with the Argylls (12th Bde) and Seaforth's (35th Bde), but chickened out on that idea!

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Compared to OTL, about how many more troops and weapons are available for Percival?
Hi Popcorn, the Australians now have their third Bde (23rd) while two fictitious Indian Bdes (35th and 41st) created from the two Hong Kong Indian infantry battalions, the single one in Borneo, and the Penang garrison battalion, plus a couple of British battalions taken from India, are now also present. I have another field artillery regt (160th) as well a two medium regiments (6th and 2/3 Australian) and the tank regiment with its own accompanying infantry battalion added.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Re the threat of Japanese parachutists, see Fun at the Fair https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/malaya-what-if.521982/post-23389621 and The 1st Raiding Regiment https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/malaya-what-if.521982/post-24679596. Historically, and mirrored here, Percival stationed the Indian States battalions in company strength at airfields, and Heath (Corps CO) had one battalion of the 28th Gurkha Bde used as a LOC battalion, with a view of defending against para drops in III Indian Corps rear. After Crete the British Army was very alive to the idea of a para drop attack, but having the resources to defend against it was another matter.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Finally caught up to the last entries of this incredible story, enjoyed every entry and comment, kudos to all who have contributed, waiting for updates with bated breath
Hi Darist61, welcome and thank you for your kind words. I try to encourage everyone to participate, so don't be afraid to ask a question or make a comment, none of us bite, unless you cross' The Bear', I wouldn't recommend that, but so long as we're respectful of others he just 'll let us meander on down the road of trying to save Singapore from its historical fate.

Ramontxo

Donor
Ok I'm back, with a big thank you to Prague and its citizens for such an active and enjoyable stag, and for all your good wishes. Having said that I was glad to get back into me old bed late last night, absolutely cream crackered! Defo a premier venue for a stag, load of different bars and clubs to try, and I found a real gem of a beer, Czech Dark Lager, see https://www.hopculture.com/czech-dark-lager/ and https://beerandbrewing.com/tmave-pivo-the-czech-republics-uncommon-dark-lager/ as examples, although there are others too. If your doing ten pints plus in a day, these are an enjoyable drink, was able to keep standing, and having lined the stomach with some lovely Czech grub, had no real complaints from the internal man. Oh, and one of the guns I fired was an SMLE, which was good, being as I'll be writing about them. So I'll catch up on replies now, and give you a new post in the morning.
Could you do fifteen aimed shots a minute?

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Could you do fifteen aimed shots a minute?
Hi Ramontxo, blimey mate 15 shots as well as ten pints, I'd be a week getting over that!, ohh, guns, oh OK, so I was firing from an unsupported standing position, with handguns, AK 47, pump action shotgun, that was the package, then the SMLE and a Mosin-Nagant as a couple of extras. Distance of 7 meters for hand gun, the rest were 25 metres I think. I struggled with the bolt action of the rifles, clearly its something you get use to, and they had a far greater kick than the others, I have a small bruise on my shoulder muscle where I didn't quite get it set in nicely. I think I was about 3 rounds a minute, ha ha, and thank god it was a barn door I was shooting at.

I was taught that a digger was quite capable of 20 rounds a minute. With the SLR L1a1 that was also it's rate of fire but a soldier did not need extra training to achieve it, as they did with the SMLE. The key with the SMLE is to not take it off your shoulder when you are working the bolt, something most amateurs fail at.

The key with the SMLE is to not take it off your shoulder when you are working the bolt, something most amateurs fail at.
That and work the bolt in two actions rather than 4. If you grew up with the Lee action, that gets pretty instinctual, but I have had a lot of friends who are used to a Mauser style action (such as the Springfield) struggle in speed shooting because they are using motions you don’t actually need for the Lee.

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
That and work the bolt in two actions rather than 4. If you grew up with the Lee action, that gets pretty instinctual, but I have had a lot of friends who are used to a Mauser style action (such as the Springfield) struggle in speed shooting because they are using motions you don’t actually need for the Lee.
Just love that smooth Lee cam action.😁

Given that the SMLE remained in use by the TA, OTC’s and cadet force units until at least 1970 it’s a tribute to the weapon and its designers and fabricators. Watching 14 year old, 5’3” CCF cadets taking their Empire Test with most achieving at least 1st Class Shot in reflection was marvellous. I managed Marksman but could not replicate this with the SLR without a lot of rounds down the range.

Given that the SMLE remained in use by the TA, OTC’s and cadet force units until at least 1970 it’s a tribute to the weapon and its designers and fabricators. Watching 14 year old, 5’3” CCF cadets taking their Empire Test with most achieving at least 1st Class Shot in reflection was marvellous. I managed Marksman but could not replicate this with the SLR without a lot of rounds down the range.
Cadets were still using the SMLE in '86.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
MXJQ3900.JPG

Ok, here's Dead Eyed Dicks effort! ignore whats left and right of the paper folds, just the middle bit was my target. the SMLE and Nagant were the bottom shots, we're missing two, and a third is below the belt, which was rather ungentlemanly of me I thought. Apparently I came second, thanks to my hand gun groupings. An Irish stag was there at the same time, different range, but nine out of eleven didn't shoot, failed the breathalyser. I don't have the excuse of having had a drink, so maybe the RASC might take me as a driver, my accident rate is low (ish, lost my no claims insurance hitting a fence, but to be fair, it was a very small one).

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
In New Zealand in the late '60s, in both Army Cadets and Air Cadets, we were issued Enfield No.4 Mk.1* Long Branch rifles for drill and shooting. I believe they continued for some years after that.

I think the Ishapore Armoury in India was still manufacturing batches of Enfield No.III* pattern rifles, only in 7.62 NATO, as the Rifle No. 2A and 2A1 up to at least 1974 and were beginning to be phased out of service with Indian police in 2020. Of course, some form of the Lee Enfield is probably still being made in the Khyber Pass area workshops even today.

Wikipedia says that it's still used by the Bangladeshi police, but that some antique Mosin-Nagant receivers are still used in the Finnish Army's sniper rifle, so that gets the nod.
It was the cam system of the SMLE that made it work. The Mauser action was an up, back , forward, down with the bolt. The SMLE, because of the cam system on the bolt was, up, which made the bolt slip back enough to almost reject the previous cartridge and then a simple forward and down to reload the next cartridge. I have fired the SMLE and the No 4 and can testify that the cam system made it easy to reload, and without dropping the rifle from the shoulder and losing the sight picture. I was a civilian shooter before I joined the Army and I managed to get possibles at 300 yds quite regularly. A Possible is all 10 rounds within the bullseye. Not the mad minute. But when we did do the mad minute, I did manage it about 50% of the time, despite being a weekend shooter.
A bloody good weapon.
regards

A bloody good weapon.
The SMLE was used by the HKP/RHKP by frontier units - the rifle o choice for the rest of the force being the M1 Carbine (which I adored as you could carry it all day and not notice). The 303 was mainly used by the Indian/Pakistani polce officers as there was a slanderous view that the local PC's could not manage the weight/length of the rifle.