Chapter 59: WW1 and Treaty of Versailles

The great major European powers, such as France, Britain, Spain, and Russia will eventually have a war with each other. As expanding power would cause future conflict between the major European Powers. France and Spain growing massively in power would concern their rivals such as Britain and Russia as they would begin to expand throughout pretty much the entire planet to be dominant world power.

Since Germany wouldn’t be united, the French being the most powerful and populated country in Europe would take their place as the aggressors on the European continent. So Britain, Russia, and along with maybe Portugal would form into an alliance to fight against France and Spain. Without Germany being united it would be less powerful so many of the German states would be split between to support the British/Russian alliance or the French/Spanish alliance.

Me personally, I think the Anglo-Russian alliance would win because the British would have the armies and vast resources of their North America possessions to pull from. This would mean the British would conquer all of North America west of Ontario. The British would also be able to conquer much of Eastern India (especially Bengal region) and Northeastern Africa from the French as well.

Treaty of Versailles
- France cedes Western Canada to Britain.
- Spain cedes Northern Mexico to Britain.
- France cedes Bengal, Burma, and Ceylon regions to Britain.
- France cedes Northeast Africa and Madagascar to Britain.
- Spain cedes Philippines to Britain.

Effects of WW1
- French North America is forced to be independent and be a client state of the British Empire.
- Spanish and Portuguese Empires fall.
- French Empire is in decline.
- Abolition of French, Spanish, and Portuguese monarchies (losers lost their monarchies IOTL).
- British and Russian Empires would rise to world power status.
- Fascism and Communism rises.

View attachment 652802

k50iXIBnIp7u6Ims6Nwv7iykitnHJPQO2zBQVJWGwZ4m90-Uvwbc4u1kv4BYQ1_od0ZHKPeItOl3RaPOFk9zQ22pi6oTAmEyqm9FjMBb2zXEdoWfYYcdBuBF6RvL3Oa1luqultk
PjX2D6MilkGTz8kt613Mxkcg_XR3E-Az6lCCOQj0vt5qiFHU6-wcnNTgENbbpRBSShuNnB282lFs9hEnWRl2fSmp0TYxrqnNsTYH104qEAiz5dDQ9-IOMAtfCuPVmBmn6FxQ5Mk
I don't quite agree with what you say, yes England is very powerful but less so than Otl (they don't have India) then with a France plus their idea of "the young school" will be a great competitor to the Royal Navy (no French instability) and finally Russia I'm not sure I'd agree with the English takeover of Africa and India, but not Canada. You literally risk having a population that hates England and is in permanent revolt.

Worst, you don't explain what happened in Europe, I can't imagine France and Spain unable to threaten England with an invasion so UK wouldn't be able to attack everywhere because they would need to protect their homeland. Russia at the time wasn't strong enough to fight both France and Spain in Europe, certainly not ITTL. France have more resources than OTL, Soain still have an empire so both Colonial Empires should be able to attack where Britain couldn't protect because they couldn't be everywhere at the same time. Really, I think you overestimated UK and underestimated both France and Spain ITTL.

Well, Rule Britannia.

You literally risk having a population that hates England and is in permanent revolt.
Right, but how many people live in Western Canada? I feel Britain could handle the revolt. There might be a lot of chaos due to refugees fleeing to Eastern Canada though.

Well, Rule Britannia.

Right, but how many people live in Western Canada? I feel Britain could handle the revolt. There might be a lot of chaos due to refugees fleeing to Eastern Canada though.
Nevertheless, there is a risk of "terrorist" attacks by French-speaking Canadians who want to drive out the English occupiers

Worst, you don't explain what happened in Europe, I can't imagine France and Spain unable to threaten England with an invasion so UK wouldn't be able to attack everywhere because they would need to protect their homeland. Russia at the time wasn't strong enough to fight both France and Spain in Europe, certainly not ITTL. France have more resources than OTL, Soain still have an empire so both Colonial Empires should be able to attack where Britain couldn't protect because they couldn't be everywhere at the same time. Really, I think you overestimated UK and underestimated both France and Spain ITTL.
You are kind of right. I didn't do a very good job on explaining what would happen in Europe and yes I kind of underestimated the French and Spanish largely because of how the British had American forces and how the Spanish Empire was declining.

Well, Rule Britannia.

Not many people live in Western Canada and remember that the British conquered Quebec in the 18th century.

Chapter 59: WW1 and Treaty of Versailles

The great major European powers, such as France, Britain, Spain, and Russia will eventually have a war with each other. As expanding power would cause future conflict between the major European Powers. France and Spain are growing massively in power which would concern their rivals such as Britain and Russia as they would begin to expand throughout pretty much the entire planet to be dominant world power.

Since Germany wouldn’t be united, the French being the most powerful and populated country in Europe would take their place as the aggressors on the European continent. So Britain, Russia, and along with maybe Portugal would form into an alliance to fight against France and Spain. Without Germany being united it would be less powerful so many of the German states would be split between to support the British/Russian alliance or the French/Spanish alliance.

Me personally, I think the Anglo-Russian alliance would win outside of Europe because the British would have the armies and vast resources of their North America possessions to pull from. This would mean the British would conquer all of North America west of Ontario and Minnesota because it was very lightly populated and the British can easily fill it up with English speaking immigrants. The British would also be able to conquer much of Eastern India (especially Bengal region) with their navy based in the Asia-Pacific region as well as Northeastern Africa from the French as well to.

But on the European continent, I would say the Franco-Spanish alliance would win without a doubt because Russia didn't do too well in WW1 and wasn't that prepared for it, the Germans and Italians aren't united in this timeline, and the Portuguese being a very small country that is bordering a much larger neighbour of Spain which is itself allied with the even larger country of France. So this would without a doubt make the Franco-Spanish alliance win on the continent. Having a weak disunited Germany (Austro-German empire in this timeline) and Italy this would likely mean they would become French client states. Portugal would likely be forced to become a Spanish client state as well. Russia due to the defeat in WW1 still has the Russian revolution, civil war, and ultimately becomes communist.

Treaty of Versailles
- France cedes Western Canada to Britain.
- Spain cedes Northern Mexico to Britain.
- France cedes Bengal, Burma, and Ceylon regions to Britain.
- France cedes Northeast Africa and Madagascar to Britain.
- Spain cedes Philippines to Britain.

Effects of WW1
- French Empire retains its position as the dominant continental power.
- British and Russian Empires would rise to world power status.
- Much of the German and Italian states become client state to the French.
- Portugal becomes a client state to the Spanish.
- Russia would still fall to communism due to the defeat in WW1.

View attachment 652802

k50iXIBnIp7u6Ims6Nwv7iykitnHJPQO2zBQVJWGwZ4m90-Uvwbc4u1kv4BYQ1_od0ZHKPeItOl3RaPOFk9zQ22pi6oTAmEyqm9FjMBb2zXEdoWfYYcdBuBF6RvL3Oa1luqultk
PjX2D6MilkGTz8kt613Mxkcg_XR3E-Az6lCCOQj0vt5qiFHU6-wcnNTgENbbpRBSShuNnB282lFs9hEnWRl2fSmp0TYxrqnNsTYH104qEAiz5dDQ9-IOMAtfCuPVmBmn6FxQ5Mk
I kind of did a poor job of describing of what happened in Europe during WW1, so I updated it.

I kind of did a poor job of describing of what happened in Europe during WW1, so I updated it.
the new version is better but i still imagine a white peace as each side has won a victory for north america don't forget that the english are fighting on 2 fronts and especially canada and more or less the equal of the dominion it could only ask for some border change in their favour but that is all is for the story of troops leaving the colonies to fight in europe it works for both sides especially for the english who would do anything to save russia and prevent france from concentrating its troops for say an invasion of ireland that leave the colonies to fight in europe it works for both sides especially for the english who would do anything to save russia and prevent france from concentrating its troops for say an invasion of ireland so no your ww1 would be closer to a blance peace with a return to the status quo to maintain the balance of power.

Last edited:
the new version is better but i still imagine a white peace as each side has won a victory for north america don't forget that the english are fighting on 2 fronts and especially canada and more or less the equal of the dominion it could only ask for some border change is for the story of troops leaving the colonies to fight in europe it works for both sides especially for the english who would do anything to save russia and prevent france from concentrating its troops for say an invasion of ireland that leave the colonies to fight in europe it works for both sides especially for the english who would do anything to save russia and prevent france from concentrating its troops for say an invasion of ireland so no your ww1 would be closer to a blance peace with a return to the status quo to maintain the balance of power.
I agree

Agree, also I don't understand how UK can win in Africa? And to won the canal of Suez? France obviously wouldn't abandon such strategic points without a hell of a fight.

Seriously, how can they won in North America, India, Asia and Africa? UK isn't that strong even with North America under control. In fact, I expected them to lose most of their colonies in Africa. Just the fighting in India and Asia would have required so many ressources that UK wouldn't have the means to also fight in Africa and Europe, their NA territory would have to fight alone against Quebec and Mexico.

UK isn't that strong even with North America under control.
Maybe not alone but if this was anything like OTL's World Wars, then 1) All parties put up "a hell of a fight" and 2) Both sides are funding rebellions against the other and then trying to take the land for themselves.

I am rethinking what would happen during the WW1 years (1914-1918) of this alternate timeline. Me personally I changed my mind and I would actually argue it won't happen because of geography. France is bordered with its ally Spain which is ruled by the same dynasty the Bourbons. Than Spain is bordered by a much smaller country Portugal which can't declare war on Spain because they would lose. A loosely united and weak Germany could serve as a buffer state between France and its rival the Russian Empire. Italy and many of the smaller countries in the Balkans could also serve as a buffer against the Ottoman Empire to.

Than Spain is bordered by a much smaller country Portugal which can't declare war on Spain because they would lose.
Which can't declare war alone because they would lose.

This world has a better chance than ours (for the reasons you outline) of avoiding a world war, but I don't think anything is guaranteed. The alliances could always shift. Smaller colonial powers could grow ambitious. Or maybe not. It's your timeline; you know best.

Which can't declare war alone because they would lose.

This world has a better chance than ours (for the reasons you outline) of avoiding a world war, but I don't think anything is guaranteed. The alliances could always shift. Smaller colonial powers could grow ambitious. Or maybe not. It's your timeline; you know best.
Even if they did declare war with allies they would lose anyways.

With a victorious France I would expect us to be at least the Spanish Low Countries (Belgium), so I don't understand why Netherlands (small) sees that in reality he only gets it after the defeat of the first French empire
It is apart of the Spanish Empire but that doesn't change the fact it is a small region that can potentially be vulnerable to conquest. I mapped the low countries as its own region and in this timeline Belgium is actually part of France because much of it is French speaking and the Dutch Republic still exists.

It is apart of the Spanish Empire but that doesn't change the fact it is a small region that can potentially be vulnerable to conquest. I mapped the low countries as its own region and in this timeline Belgium is actually part of France because much of it is French speaking and the Dutch Republic still exists.
so if it's part of France, why isn't it shown on the map?

The Great War In This Timeline
I don't think WW1 would even happen at all in this timeline because pretty much everything would be in favour of the French as they would be the most powerful on the European continent. The French would have royal ties to the Spanish (both France and Spain are ruled by the Bourbon dynasty). The Dutch and Portuguese would have no chance in a war against the major European powers (especially France) by themselves because they are so small. The Germans and Italians being loosely united and less militaristic than OTL. The Russians not sharing borders with the French which would make a land war impossible in continental Europe. As well as the Ottoman Empire being weak, and the British not having the land army that France has.

T8Pto1iWHxQh2pNR9tssoVsBtcp2Gp8vlwYozMLkxX9VrYFi5zmgJaKZSwIcW_HWoswzZu84siQm_KKh6_RnBSMfJ3Mqo_R6WUhRLBP72Q8DVcq3IdhPnTLEnUCEv6nEQVIUb_Q

No WW1 in this timeline means.
  • Russian Empire survives and industrializes and remains the main rival of the French without a united Germany.
  • Ottoman Empire survives and would actually survive because it was going through a impressive process of reform and if Ataturk gets into power this will even increase the chances of it surviving as well. Oil will likely be discovered in the middle east meaning it would be really wealthy in the future.
  • European monarchies survive in places such as Russia and Germany.
  • There will likely be a cold war involving geopolitical competition between the French and Russians over influence over parts of the globe similar to the Great Game between Britain and Russia of our timeline.