"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Zagan

Donor
I'm mainly talking about his title for western consumption,namely in latin.Formal titles in Europe are mainly in Latin.

Wouldn't that have made him quite a pariah?If the Commonwealth didn't declare themselves to be an empire and they are bigger,Romania could be seen as an upstart and pretty pretentious.

1. In Latin it is simply Dominus, for now.

2. The Romans / Romanians (Romani / Români) had a tradition of having Emperors, not Kings (except at the very beginning).
Romania will claim continuity with the Roman Empire because of well... blood (or what we call them today, genes).

And about the later titles in Europe, I did not want to give you any spoilers, but if you insist, I can tell you that we will have lots of Emperors (something like in OTL 19th century, but sooner).

Last edited:
1. In Latin it is simply Dominus, for now.

2. The Romans / Romanians (Romani / Români) had a tradition of having Emperors, not Kings (except at the very beginning).
Romania will claim continuity with the Roman Empire because of well... blood (or what we call them today, genes).

And about the later titles in Europe, I did not want to give you any spoilers, but if you insist, I can tell you that we will have lots of Emperors (something like in OTL 19th century, but sooner).

I think most rulers in Europe will find it pretty pretentious for the Romanians to claim themselves to have continuity with the Roman Empire.I think internationally,the ruler of Romania is going to be mocked by the other rulers who will call him nothing more than 'King of the Vlachs'.If the Emperor of the East Roman Empire,who actually had the genuine right of all the individuals who called themselves the Emperor of the Roman Empire got derided as the Emperor of the Greeks ,I highly doubt the ruler of Romanian is going to be accepted as the 'Emperor of the Romans',especially the rulers of Western Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the Spanish do begin to call their ruler an Emperor,the same thing with the French.It has been argued countless times that the Americas is a land completely independent from the old Roman Empire and that the King of Spain therefore has the right to call himself the Emperor of the Americas.As for the French,if everyone else starts calling themselves an emperor,they will definitely do it.

Last edited:
Well, Poland-Lithuania at the moment is the most powerful country of Eastern Europe, without doubt.

Still, I guess Ukraine will be the pivotal point of future converging and conflicting interests frpm Polish, Russians and Romenians. I guess for Romania the golden prize will be likely Galicia, but who knows?

Anyway, we all know who will be the next Romanian target... not that are so much choices.

Well, at least Romania it's not invincible, thank goddness. An invincible power will be only annoying at least.

I hope the presence of TTL Israel will be because of something went good to butterfly other things but we can only wait and see.

I do have to suspect,if Poland is the biggest country in Europe,does that mean that they've either successfully conquered Russia or balkanized it entirely?

Zagan

Donor
I think most rulers in Europe will find it pretty pretentious for the Romanians to claim themselves to have continuity with the Roman Empire.I think internationally,the ruler of Romania is going to be mocked by the other rulers who will call him nothing more than 'King of the Vlachs'.If the Emperor of the East Roman Empire,who actually had the genuine right of all the individuals who called themselves the Emperor of the Roman Empire got derided as the Emperor of the Greeks ,I highly doubt the ruler of Romanian is going to be accepted as the 'Emperor of the Romans',especially the rulers of Western Europe.

I do have to suspect,if Poland is the biggest country in Europe,does that mean that they've either successfully conquered Russia or balkanized it entirely?

Yes, you are right. He will be mocked by his foes.

No, Poland-Lithuania is already by far the biggest European country* and it will still be, albeit only by a small margin bigger than the biggest TTL Romania.

* Excluding territory in the colonial empires of Spain, England etc.

Well, Russia was at that time a little less European, if you know what I mean. If we consider it European, then alright, 1. Russia, 2. Commonwealth, 3. Romania.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
1. Well, Poland-Lithuania at the moment is the most powerful country of Eastern Europe, without doubt.

2. Still, I guess Ukraine will be the pivotal point of future converging and conflicting interests frpm Polish, Russians and Romenians. I guess for Romania the golden prize will be likely Galicia, but who knows?

3. Anyway, we all know who will be the next Romanian target... not that are so much choices.

4. Well, at least Romania it's not invincible, thank goddness. An invincible power will be only annoying at least.

5. I hope the presence of TTL Israel will be because of something went good to butterfly other things but we can only wait and see.

1. Correct.

2. Probably not the Romanians, but the Poles and Russians sure.

3. Obvious; in about a generation.

4. Yeah.

5. The mere fact that TTL Israel will be a Kingdom is enough to let you see that there will be lots of differencies to OTL.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense though as to why Romania would pay compensation to the Jews it expelled almost four centuries ago.All legal responsibilities would have expired.It's not as though the modern Mongols had any legal responsibilities to pay compensation to all those countries they have ravaged during the Middle Ages for one.

Zagan

Donor
It doesn't make sense though as to why Romania would pay compensation to the Jews it expelled almost four centuries ago.All legal responsibilities would have expired.It's not as though the modern Mongols had any legal responsibilities to pay compensation to all those countries they have ravaged during the Middle Ages for one.

It makes exactly the same sense as OTL today's Spain offering citizenship to the descendents of the Sephardic Jews expelled from Spain in the middle ages. And OTL exactly this had actually happened.
The Jews are persistent and TTL Romania decided to have a good relation with TTL Kingdom of Israel, that's all.

EDIT, Just to make sure that you understood it correctly:
The money given in TTL 1999 to Israel were not a compensation because of the expelling per se, but rather the actual money confiscated from the expelled Jews in TTL 1602.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Plans for the following period of peace in Romania (circa 20 years):
- Two or three chapters about Romania (day to day life, proto-nationalism, progress, economy, legislation, politics, army, church etc);
- A few chapters about: Poland-Lithuania, Russia, Scandinavia, Germany, Italy, Ottoman Empire, the Occident, the rest of the World (proto-nationalism Romanian style in parts of Europe, wars, revolutions etc);
- A few maps of Europe from Atlantic to Caspica.

Most of it is somehow already sketched, but I find extremely difficult to make the parts about Germany and Italy, especially Germany.
I have some very specific ideas but I would very much like some help. I will not say more here, but I can discuss it using Private Messages with anyone interested to help. Thank you.

Last edited:
It makes exactly the same sense as OTL today's Spain offering citizenship to the descendents of the Sephardic Jews expelled from Spain in the middle ages. And OTL exactly this had actually happened.
The Jews are persistent and TTL Romania decided to have a good relation with TTL Kingdom of Israel, that's all.

EDIT, Just to make sure that you understood it correctly:
The money given in TTL 1999 to Israel were not a compensation because of the expelling per se, but rather the actual money confiscated from the expelled Jews in TTL 1602.

So the Jews from 1999 are asking for compensation for all of their maltreatment from all European countries no matter how far back it was?

Zagan

Donor
So the Jews from 1999 are asking for compensation for all of their maltreatment from all European countries no matter how far back it was?

It's not about maltreatment. It is only about the actual money stolen by the Romanian State.

I am sorry I can not give you any more spoilers. If I explain why the Romanian-Israeli relations are so special and different from the rest of Europe and so on, I would really spoil very much.
Please, be understanding and wait until everything gets clear. But you have my word that everything will come in place nicely.

Do you want a Private Message with the explanation (huge spoiler by the way)?

Last edited:
It's not about maltreatment. It is only about the actual money stolen by the Romanian State.

I am sorry I can not give you any more spoilers. If I explain why the Romanian-Israeli relations are so special and different from the rest of Europe and so on, I would really spoil very much.
Please, be understanding and wait until everything gets clear. But you have my word that everything will come in place nicely.

Do you want a Private Message with the explanation (huge spoiler by the way)?
No thank you.I would do well not to be spoiled.It is interesting though that Israel became a monarchy once again.

Zagan

Donor
No thank you.I would do well not to be spoiled.It is interesting though that Israel became a monarchy once again.

In my TLs republics are usually the exception...
Hint: I like monarchies :). Hey, I even have a little personal connection to a kind of monarchy!

Anyway, everything will have an explanation, including the Kingdom of Israel instead of the State of Israel. Following the course of events ITTL, a republic there would simply be unfeasable for example. I like to follow some logic, not spill random events all over the TL.

Last edited:
Map #8. Europe in 1604

Zagan

Donor

Europe in 1604

Europe 1604.png

Notes:
1. The map is very rough. Please, don't be picky.
2. See point 1.
3. The borders of the Ottoman Empire in Sahara, Arabia, Persia, Caucasus etc are not defined. Some areas are not inhabited. Some areas are under various and varying levels of vassalage. For simplicity, everything Muslim or vassal to Muslims is shown in the same colour.
4. The British Isles are by now ruled by the same monarch even though not politically united yet.
5. The mess in the HRE is shown with a single colour. Switzerland and the United Provinces are not yet recognized as independent although de facto they are.
6. Romania and Slovakia are not de jure independent either but they are shown in different colours because they are important for our story.
7. The areas shown as Spain are not politically united.
8. Spanish, Danish and other foreign possessions inside the HRE are not shown. This is intentional and it will be important later.
9. Norway is ruled by Denmark but it is a separate country.
10. Prussia and Livonia are Polish vassals.
11. Some Cossacks are mostly de facto independent.
12. Some areas shown as Russia are not or sparsely inhabited and not under firm central control. If there is not other power around they are marked as Russian.
13. Many states or parts thereof are too small to be shown.
14. Corsica is controlled by Genoa which is at least in theory in the HRE, so Corsica is also coloured gray.
15. Many other issues.
16. This is the base map on which the evolution of Europe will be shown, again with that low level of detail. The evolution of Romania will of course be shown with greater level of detail at a lower scale, based on the previous maps.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Don't forget about the earlier Thirty Years War in Bohemia, right?

The equivalent of the Thirty Years War will indeed start earlier, but not that early. It will be a very different kind of war and probably even more important to overall European history than OTL. Just have a little patience, it is already almost clear in my mind. Just has to be written.

Polan,STRONK!So Prussia has been annexed instead of just being kept as a vassal?

The last map is just not detailed enough to show the vassals (except Slovakia and Romania of course). Poland had not annexed Prussia, Livonia and the Zaporozhian Host yet.
Some interesting things are going to happen with the Commonwealth and some of its neighbours in the following years. While in Romania there will be a lull (a period of peace) the rest of Europe will not be so fortunate.

I decided to write about events in other parts of Europe (and eventually the World) even if not directly related to Romania.
This is a Romania-centric TL, not a Romania-only TL.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Another fantastic series of updates!

Thank you, you are being very nice.

So, (and I ask all of you, my readers, once again), would you like me to write about events in other countries as well (I think so), or to write only about Romania?

Last edited:
Thank you, you are being very nice.

So, (and I ask all of you, my readers, once again), would you like me to write about events in other countries as well (I think so), or to write only about Romania?

You need to write about other countries as well.We won't understand a thing outside the borders if you don't write about them.