"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Map #4. Romania after the Pressburg Peace Treaty

Zagan

Donor

Romania after the Pressburg Peace Treaty

Romania 1602.png

Territorial Increase of Romania
(put in a perspective)

United Romanian Lands in 1601 (de jure): 258,000 sq km (100,000 sq mi).

Romania before the Peace Conference (de facto): 290,000 sq km (112,000 sq mi).

Romania after the Peace Conference (de jure): 360,000 sq km (139,000 sq mi), a 40% increase in less than a year since Unification.
(a little more than OTL Germany 2015)

The increase in population was probably a little less than 40% since European Ottoman territories tended to have a lesser population density.

1602 TTL Romania has probably around 2-3 million inhabitants, between two thirds and three quarters of them ethnic Romanians.

Compare to OTL:

Romania 1913-1918: 138,000 sq km (53,000 sq mi).

Romania 1919-1940: 295,000 sq km (114,000 sq mi), a 114% increase after WW1 (more than double).

Romania 1944-2015: 238,000 sq km (92,000 sq mi)
(a little less than OTL Great Britain 2015)

Last edited:
I.16. The Aftermath of Pressburg

Zagan

Donor
Trăiască România Mare, de la Tisa pân'la Mare!
(Long live Greater Romania, from the [River] Tissa to the [Black] Sea!)

The Aftermath of Pressburg

17-19 April 1602, Pressburg, Austria

The heads of state left Vienna in unusually good terms and quite content with the Peace Treaty. Mihai had left a powerful impression as a strong, pragmatic and determined leader who disliked useless pomp and sterile talk and favoured peace and stability.

Sigismund was pleased that he was able to gain influence in Slovakia, but perhaps his greatest diplomatic victory was the article concerning the Tatar menace. He actually received a free hand to act against the Tatars if they kept on raiding his lands. The fact that Mihai did not mention Pokuttya was also good.

Matthias was relieved that the disastrous wars started by his brother were finally over and Vienna itself was safe for the forseeable future. The loss of Hungary was certainly extremely unfortunate, but things could have gotten even worse. As for the money, he would have to borrow from his wealthy Spanish cousins.

Mehmed was very proud of himself. While clearly unable to win the war on the battlegrounds, Mihai helped him to win it at the negotiating table. He was thus able to achieve what none of his predecesors did: he was master of Hungary and Croatia and suzerain of Romania and Slovakia up to the northern Carpathians. The Ottoman Empire had its greatest extent in its entire history. He had finally proven himself worthy of being a Sultan. His mother will be so proud of him.

Mihai was also very happy, although his happiness was not apparent. But more than feeling happy, he actually felt relieved. All the pressure he had upon himself during the last years was finally over. His country was united, strong, safe and in peace. And now he had time to prepare for the great future confrontation with the Ottomans when he will finally push them across the Bosphorus.

The Romanian army prepared to leave Pressburg and Slovakia and head back home. Mihai left the bulk of the army behind and protected by his 2500 strong mounted personal guard advanced faster towards Romania.

April-May 1602, Romania

The news of the successful Peace Treaty arrived in Romania before Mihai and the army. Celebrations erupted in several cities. People were mainly happy that the wars were presumably over and the threat of invasion was gone. Very few people comprehended how large Romania was before and after the Peace Treaty or knew anything about the newly added lands. They understood however that the bigger the country the better for them.

A solemn meeting of the Senat was held. The Senators really wanted to hear themselves talking. Most of them praised the Voivode. Some praised themselves. Others praised the country itself and even its people. But some dissenting voices could be heard as well. There were a few senators who deplored the loss of Slovakia and especially the acceptance of Ottoman suzerainty which was considered a loss of the country's independence.
In fact, Slovakia was never Romanian and was never even supposed to become part of Romania. The concepts of nationality and a National State were simply too abstract at that time. For many people the only tangible thing was that Mihai had conquered Slovakia and then given it away. As for the difference between a full administrative union and a mere personal union, it was probably too complicated to grasp.
As for the supposed independence of Romania, that was nothing more than a myth. Prior to the Peace Treaty, Romania had not even international recognition as an entity, much less an independent state. True, it was independent de facto, but that independence would only mean neverending wars with the Turks in the future.

Because there was much talk about the Roman past, a Triumphal Arch was commissioned in Alba Iulia. A wooden mockup was quickly erected and work begun at the site of the future Arch. If everything went smoothly, it was supposed to be unveiled some time in 1604.

May 1602, Constantinople, Ottoman Empire

Being at peace with Romania, Mehmed could sail down the Danube to the Black Sea and arrived quickly in Constantinople in order to bring the good news personally to his mother the powerful Valide Sultan.

Safiye: "Oh... So you signed this. I see... And do you think this treaty is actually good for us, don't you?"
Mehmed: "But sure, mother. We got a lot of land and money and Romania and Upper Hungary accepted our suzerainty. What should not be liked about it?"
S: "My poor silly child... You actually ceded more land to Romania than you received from Austria!"
M: "Yes, a little more. But Romania is still an Ottoman vassal, so little has changed in fact."
S: "Did you see how large this Romania is? It is more than half of our remaining European territories. Anyway, you have to ask yourself a simple question: Am I able to order Mihai to do anything? And answer it in earnest."
M: "Well... no. They have full internal independence."
S: "Then it is Ottoman only in name, not in fact. So you've lost it. Anyway, let's hope he will fail to pay the tribute..."

30 April 1602, Košice (Kassa), Slovakia

Mihai stopped in Kassa for less than 24 hours, being really anxious to get to Romania as soon as possible. He had been away from his country for almost 3 months.
He entered the Slovak Diet, officially informed the Slovaks of the content of the Pressburg Peace Treaty and left them a copy, then announced his abdication of the Slovak Crown.
The Diet thanked Mihai for all his support in securing their statehood and unanimously approved the treaty.

To this day, Mihai is remembered in Slovakia as a hero and one of the architects of the Slovak statehood. No less than 17 streets bear his name and a huge equestrian statue stands in the center of the Slovak Capital.

1 May - 12 August 1602, Romania

Mihai decided to tour Romania and personally assume control of the newly aquired provinces. He was to receive an enthusiastic welcome mostly by the Romanian population.

3 May, Ugocea (Uzhhorod), Maramureș (the North-Western most territories at the Slovak border added to Maramureș were obtained by the treaty)

9 May, Nŭiri (Nyíregyháza), Someșana (in the area of Royal Hungary on the left bank of the Tissa, de facto already under Romanian rule before the treaty)

13 May, Debrețin (Debrecen), Crișana (previously Romanian territory near the former border)

20 May, Biqŭişceaba (Békéscsaba), Crișana (previously Romanian territory under Ottoman occupation, evacuated by the Turks prior to the treaty)

24 May, Arad, Crișana (previously Romanian territory near the former border)

27 May, Temișoara (Timișoara), Banat / Temișana (capital of Banat)
The Pasha of Temesvar handed over the city to Mihai during an official ceremony. He seemed not pleased but did not dare to challange the Sultan.

7 June, Orșova, Oltenia / Little Wallachia (former border between Wallachia and Banat)

16 June, Turnu, Muntenia / Greater Wallachia (former Ottoman fortress at the Danube, now demolished)

21 June, Giurgiu, Muntenia (former Ottoman fortress at the Danube, now demolished)

30 June, Brŏila (Brăila), Muntenia (former Ottoman fortress at the Danube, now demolished)

2 July, Galațĭ (Galați), Moldova (greatest Moldavian Danube port; near the former border with Wallachia)

7 July, Qŭilia (Kiliya), Basarabia (already de facto under Mihai's rule before the treaty)

12 July, Cetatea Albă (Bilhorod-Dnistrovski), Basarabia (Moldavia's only Black Sea port on the Dniester Lagoon, at the border with former Ottoman Edisan / Transnistria; already de facto under Mihai's rule before the treaty)

17-18 July, Vozia / Oceacov (Ochakiv), Edisan (Capital of Edisan, major Black Sea port)
The local Pasha, seemingly unaware of the Peace Treaty and the cession of Edisan to Romania refused to surrender the city.
Mihai stormed the city and captured it after a short decisive battle.
The Pasha and all the surviving Ottoman officials and soldiers were transported to the nearby Bug River, at the border with the Tatar Khanate and delivered safely to the Tatar side.
Mihai decided that Edisan would need to be guarded by a strong force in order to repel any possible Tatar raids

23 July, Tigŭina (Bender), Basarabia (Dniester castle; already de facto under Mihai's rule befory the treaty)

26 July, Qŭișinău (Chișinău), Moldova (Moldavian city between Dniester / Nistru and Prut)

29 July, Eașĭ (Iași), Moldova (Capital of Moldavia; lavish welcome party)

1-10 August, Roman, Bacău, Miercurea Ciucului, Odorheiu Secuiesc, Săgŭișoara (Sighișoara), Mediaș (Speeding through central Romania; short meetings with Szeklers and Saxons)

12 August, Alba Iulia, Romanian Capital
Mihai arrives in the capital in the day marking the first aniversary of the birth of Romania. This was intentional, to arise people's awareness of the importance of the event and forever brand it into their minds that Mihai and the Country were so intimately connected as if blended into one.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
1. Is the time flow too slow?
I mean, only 1 year has passed since the POD and it is already 16 chapters + introduction.
Is it too slow? Too much detail?
Well, it will obviously get faster later on, but now, I don't know.
Any thoughts?

2. Shall I talk about things that are very much like OTL?
Or leave them apart altogether (assume that everyone knows what I am talking about)?

3. Should I include stuff not related to Romania?
For example, wars, revolutions etc in other places, where Romania is not in any way involved.
I mean, this is a Romania-centric TL. But shall it have a broader scope?

Thank you for any answers.

Last edited:
1. As its important parts the large chapter count for a short space is no problem, as peace time arrives things should speed up through.

2. No opinion as i'm not sure what you mean.

3. Follow the Butterflies

Zagan

Donor
2. No opinion as i'm not sure what you mean.
3. Follow the Butterflies

2. For example, let's say the way people travel do not change in the immediate future (why should it?).
So, shall I describe that or leave it aside and assume it is known?

3. Oh, but of course... A lot of things will happen outside Romania.
The actual question was: Should I dedicate ample space to events outside Romania, or one or two phrases will suffice?
Sorry if I was not clear.

Last edited:
I.17. A Period of Peace

Zagan

Donor
In August 1602 we can see the first signs of the future plans of Mihai
to crown himself as Emperor of the Romanians.

A Period of Peace

The Romanian army dislocated in Slovakia and Austria returned home during May and June. Most peasants were demobilized in order to tend for their land. Only some 8000 chose to stay in the army on a permanent basis. Most of them were later sent to Edisan, the only part of the country really in danger of being raided by foreign forces. Even those who headed home took their weapons with them, ready to return in the army if needed.
Like Mihai and his group of elite fighters, the bulk of the soldiers received a hero's welcome. The priests held special sermons and townspeople congregated to congratulate them and throw some parties in their honour and celebrate their victory. Panem et circenses!

May 1602, Peasant House Somewhere in Romania

Wife (crying with joy): "Husband, you could have been killed... I was afraid I would not see you ever again! Praised be God who kept you safe and sent you home to your children!"
Husband (hugging): "Well, woman, here I am."
... ... ...
Wife: "Why are all of you risking your lifes for this Voivode?"
Husband: "You don't get it, woman! Mihai Vodă and Greater Romania are guarantees that we do not get invaded by the heathens every other year, that our crops are not ruined and our animals are not stolen, that our children are not killed or taken into slavery, that you are not raped and I am not killed. A big, strong country means security and prosperity. Besides, we are going to receive as much land as we can work! I did not fight only for Vodă and the Country, but also for us!"
Wife: "May God hear you! You are so wise now. How do you know so many things?"
Husband: "Mihai Vodă asked the priests to teach us all sort of things on our long marches... I did not find many of them interesting or useful, but I suppose they know better. I can even read a little and our boys will have the opportunity to go to school and have a better life. That's what we all fought for."

12 August 1602, Alba Iulia

Mihai entered his Capital in triumph. Crowned with a laurel wreath and wearing a Roman Imperial toga, he passed through the Triumphal Arch followed by his guard, in the acclamations of an ecstatic cheering crowd.
His power was absolute. The love of his people was beyond imagination. His dream has come true.
"Thank you God, for sending me that dream and helping me turn it into reality."

In the Senat he was met with standing ovations.
Senator: "Does Măria Ta plan to proclaim yourself Emperor?"
Mihai: "Not yet..."

Law of Citizenship

Article I. Is a Romanian he who speaks the Romanian language in his house with his family, wherever he might live, inside or outside Romania.
Article II. Is a Romanian Citizen any Romanian who lives in Romania, owns property and knows how to read, write and cypher.
Article III. Is a Protected Citizen any member of the Saxon or Szeckler communities or of any other foreign community that may receive our protection in the future.
Article IV. Any Romanian Citizen or Protected Citizen may take part in the affairs of the Country and have their voice heard in any matters of common interest.
Article V. All Citizens have the right to be protected by the State. They may not be killed or imprisoned without a trial. In case of a trial, they have the right de speak on their behalf. They have the right to own property and to not be separated from their property except by lawful means.
Article VI. All Romanians shall be Romanian Orthodox. The protected Nations may follow their own religions. The Tatars may follow their religion as long as the Romanians in the Ottoman Empire enjoy the same right.
Article VII. All Citizens have the obligation to either pay thair lawful taxes or to do corvee by their own choice. All adult males, sane in body and mind have the obligation to defend the country in times of danger.

Article VIII. Romania is ruled by its Citizens through their representatives, the Romanian Great Voivode and Lord and the Romanian Senat, under the blessed guidance of the Romanian Church and the protection of the Romanian Army.

It was considered one of the most progressive laws in the World at that time.
However, like in the case of most Romanian laws, for a long time there will be significant differencies between the content of the law and the way it was put in practice.

Administrative Reform

The provinces of Wallachia (Țara Românească), Moldavia (Moldova) and Transylvania (Transilvania) were disolved alltogether.
12 smaller provinces were established instead:
1. Oltenia (Little Wallachia)
2. Muntenia (Greater Wallachia)
3. Basarabia (Southern Bessarabia / Budjac)
4. Edisan (still being under military rule at the time, because of the Tatar menace)
5. Moldova de Jos (Lower Moldavia)
6. Moldova de Sus (Upper Moldavia)
7. Maramureș (enlarged)
8. Someșana (Satmar plus other areas up to the Tissa)
9. Crișana (enlarged)
10. Temișana (Banat)
11. Ardeal (Transylvania proper)
12. Scaunele Săseșcĭ și Sĕcueșcĭ (The Saxon and Szekler Seats)

The 12 provinces were further divided into 99 Județe (Counties)
The provinces were administered by a Pretor and the județe by a Prefect. They had both administrative and judicial roles.

Population Census

A population census for the purpose of taxation, conscription and impeding land reform was superficially conducted.
The results had a large margin of error and were quite cumbersome to interpret. The biggest difficulty was that households, not people were actually counted. We may consider an average of 5 people per household.

Total: 683,317 families (~ 3,420,000 inhabitants)

By Ethnicity:
Romanians
: 511,087 families (~2,560,000 people), 75%
Hungarians
: 67,388 families (~337,000 people), 10%
Saxons
: 49,760 families (~249,000 people), 7.3%
Szeklers
: 45,402 families (~227,000 people), 6.6%
Tatars
: 3,366 families (~ 17,000 people), 0.5%
Ruthenians
: 3,077 families (~ 15,000 people), 0.45%
Serbs
: 2112 families (~ 11,000 people), 0.3%
Jews
: 654 families (~ 3,300 people), 0.1%
Greeks
: 133 families (~ 700 people)
Armenians: 131 families (~ 700 people)
Bulgarians: 101 families (~ 500 people)
Poles: 43 families (~ 200 people)
Slovaks: 37 families (~ 200 people)
Turks: 12 families (~ 60 people)
Georgians: 8 families (~ 40 people)
Albanians: 6 families (~ 30 people)

By Religion:
Romanian Orthodox: 74%
Roman Catholic: 17%
Lutheran: 7%
Greek Orthodox: 1%
Muslim: 0.5%
Other: 0.2%

By Occupation:
Nobles: 1%
Clergy: 1%
Crafters: 3%
Traders: 3%
Peasants: 92%

By Citizenship:
Romanian Citizens: 4%
Protected Citizens: 7%
Non-citizens: 87%
Foreigners: 2%

Strange Laws

Many laws can be considered weird, even judging by that time's standards. One extreme example could be the Paranormal Law:

Law Concerning Paranormal Activities

For the good of the State, those people who claim paranormal powers like witches, fortune-tellers, mediums, alchemists, magicians et al. should be tested by the competent authorities.
If they can not prove their alleged powers, they will receive 20 lashes for fraud and be released. If their powers seem to be genuine, they may be hired by the state or army.

The enforcement of this law incurred lots of costs and produced only one useful addition to the army, an alchemist who was really good at experiments involving fire and explosives.

Education

Thousands of elementary schools were opened by all the functioning Romanian Orthodox Churches. All families were required to send at least one child, usually a boy, to attend school. The program was 5 hours in the morning every other day to leave some time for agricultural work. The subjects were: Reading, Writing, Arithmetics and Religion. Literacy began to improve.
99 gymnasiums were opened, one in each județ. The program was six hours a day, except Sundays. The subjects were: Latin, Greek, Rhetoric, Religion, History, Sciences, Arts, Defence of the country.
A University was opened in the Capital and foreign professors were employed.
Additional subjects to those from the Gymnasium were: Medicine, Law, Philosophy, Engineering and many others.
A maritime branch of the University was opened in Cetatea Albă, for those wanting to study Navigation.

Seafaring

It was decided to have a Romanian fleet. There were however two difficult issues.
1. Romania lacked a proper Sea Port. Cetatea Albă was on the Dniester Lagoon which at that time had already got almost closed. Oceacov was vulnerable to Tatar raids. The Danube Ports could be blockaded by the Turks at any time. The solution was to build a modern port in a good location found at the centre of the Bessarabian coast. It was named simply Portu (the Port).
2. No one knew anything about ship building or navigation. The solution was to get some 200 colonists from the Hanseatic Cities. Several years later Romania would have its own fleet with the Romanian Quadricolor waving on the main mast to be seen from all points of the compass and made known to the whole World.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Update soon...

I was having some trouble with the Tatar Question, but it got mostly solved.

Last edited:
2. Shall I talk about things that are very much like OTL?
Or leave them apart altogether (assume that everyone knows what I am talking about)?

3. Should I include stuff not related to Romania?
For example, wars, revolutions etc in other places, where Romania is not in any way involved.
I mean, this is a Romania-centric TL. But shall it have a broader scope?

Thank you for any answers.

I would ask you to provide as much info as you are comfortable with doing. The advantage to having a Romanian TL written by a Romanian is the level of detail you can provide that a foreigner could never know. For instance like the explanations you gave about the Romanian titles and alphabet changes. All good stuff.

I.18. The Tatar Question

Zagan

Donor
Emperor Mihai: "We see no need to expand into the lands of the Tatars.
The destiny of Romania lies to the south."

The Tatar Question

Diplomatic relations of Romania

- Ambassadors exchanged with: Ottoman Empire (suzerain power), Poland-Lithuania, Slovakia, Habsburg Lands, Saxony, Bavaria, Venice, Rome, Genoa, Russia.
- Diplomatic contacts with: Denmark, Sweden, several German and Italian States, France, Spain, England.
- Military alliances with: Ottoman Empire (as suzerain power, supposed to defend its vassal Romania against any threats), Poland and Russia (defensive alliance against Tatar incursions in their lands), Slovakia (defensive alliance against any threats)
- Protected Nations: Transylvanian Saxons, Szeklers, Transylvanian Hungarians (peasants and townpeople as there were no more Hungarian nobles left in Romania), Hanseatic Germans in Portu.
- Recognized Religions: Romanian Orthodoxism (Religion of the State, mandatory for all ethnic Romanians), Roman Catholicism, Lutheranism, Islam (conditioned by equal religious rigths granted to the Romanians in the Ottoman Empire).

The Romanian Army

All mercenaries have been dismissed. Only Romanians were allowed to serve in the Romanian army. Because of their military traditions and former standing as the oldest allies of Mihai, the Szeklers were an exception to this rule (in exchange for tax exemptions).

Romania had two kinds of army:
1. The Small Army (Oastea cea Mică) consisting of about 12,000 professional Romanian soldiers and about 3,000 Szeklers.
2. The Great Army (Oastea cea Mare) consisting of every adult Romanian man, sane in body and mind, capable of using weapons. Although around 800,000 potentially fit that description, without a proper conscription system no more than 200,000 could be expected to answer the call of the Great Voivode.

The army was organized in units (in increasing size): groups (cete, 10-100 men), cohorts (cohorte, 300-500 men), legions (legiunĭ, 2000-3000 men), armies (armate, 10,000-15,000 men)

Military ranks were introduced: soldiers (ostașĭ / oștenĭ, untrained peasants), legionnaires (legionarĭ, trained professionals), leaders (capĭ, leading groups), captains (căpitanĭ, leading cohorts), generals (generalĭ, leading legions) voivodes (voevoḑĭ, leading armies), Great Voivode (Mare Voevod, leader of the whole army)

The army was also organized in specialized units: infantry, cavalry, artilery and a kind of special operations units (ascunși / literary hidden ones). A Romanian Navy would be added soon.

The Land Reform

Although the State and the Church were working around the clock to instill patriotism and national fervour inside the newly proclaimed Romanian nation, it was a clear fact that the vast majority of peasants were only fighting in order to get a piece of arable land, the ancestral dream of every Romanian peasant.

And because Mihai had already promissed them land, he had to keep his word. The Land Reform Law was arguably the most difficult law passed by the Romanian Senat (Mihai had rescinded his title of Dictator and its incumbent powers after the conclusion of the anti-Habsburg war, as promissed).

After much deliberation, Mihai and the Senate decided that only the war veterans would get small lots of land, just enough to be able to feed their families.
There was no problem to provide land for the Transylvanian veterans as all land previously owned by the Hungarian and Ottoman landlords was now property of the state. The situation outside the Carpathian arch was not so favourable.
Some of the land belonging to the boyars and the Church in Wallachia and Moldavia was alloted to the peasants, the boyars and priests receiving compensation elsewhere, mainly in the newly annexed territories.
Almost no one wanted land in Edisan which was mostly barren steppe and under a continuous Tatar threat.

The Land Reform Law was nothing more than a compromise leaving the boyars and clergy only a little dissatisfied and the peasants looking forward to another war in order to get more land.

About the Tatars

A few words have to be said about the Tatars. The reader must not assume the Tatars were always that peaceful little colorful nation in the center of the Crimean Peninsula.
In the Middle Ages, the Tatar Crimean Khanate was by far the greatest scourge in that part of Europe.
Based in the Crimean Peninsula, they produced almost nothing, their whole economy being based on continously raiding their neighbours, Moldavia, Poland and Russia. They organized frequent attacks through the northern Black Sea steppe, looting, killing, destroying and taking enormous amounts of Christian slaves which they sold to the Ottomans. This led to massive depopulation and destruction in the steppe north of the Black Sea.

For hundreds of years, Poland and Moldavia had been in a neverending state of war with those Tatars, which were the most hated people in both countries.
Although Poland for example was much more powerful than the Khanate, this amounted to almost nothing because of three factors:
1. The Crimean Khanate was an Ottoman vassal and the Ottoman Empire could and did send large armies to defend it through its former land connection Dobrudja-Bessarabia-Edisan. Now, that land connection was no more since Bessarabia and Edisan were integral parts of Poland's ally, Romania. Moreover, the Pressburg Peace Treaty actually gave Poland and Romania a free hand to finally deal with the Tatars.
2. The Christian armies found it very difficult to wage war in the deserted steppe where they could find no shelter, no food and very little water east of the Dnieper. The sad fact was that the core Tatar territory, the Crimean Peninsula, was protected by a vast buffer of mostly deserted, underdeveloped territory which had to be overcome first. Mihai thought he had a viable solution to this problem and confered about it with the Poles and the Russian Cossacks.

The cold winter of 1602-1603 witnessed a period of extremely severe Tatar raids in southern Poland and Romanian Edisan and Bessarabia, because with the Dnieper, Southern Bug and Dniester frozen solid there was no physical barrier against them. Around 400 Romanian soldiers had been killed and more than 2000 people taken into slavery. The situation became unbearable.

22 February 1603

Romania, Poland-Lithuania and Russia activated their alliance against the Tatars and decided to invade and conquer the Crimean Khanate and split it among them. Russia would get its Easternmost part between the River Don and the eastern coast of the Sea of Azov, Poland would get its central part and Romania would get the land up to the right bank of the Dnieper.

Romania and Poland-Lithuania informed the Ottomans about the Tatar problem and asked them, as suzerain power of the Tatars, to intervene. The Ottoman ambassadors stated that the Ottoman Empire does not have the means to coerce the Tatars.
The Allies proceeded to inform the Ottomans that as per the provisions of the Pressburg Peace Treaty they have the right to retaliate against the Tatars.
The Ottoman ambassadors recognized the allies' right to enforce the Treaty only insisting that no Christian army should enter the Crimean Peninsula proper, which they suggested they had an interest in directly annexing it.

23 February 1603

The Black Sea Alliance (Poland-Lithuania, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Polish Cossacks, Russian Cossacks) sent a declaration of War to the Tatar Crimean Khanate.
The Ottoman ambassadors in Warsaw, Alba Iulia and Koșice were informed. They confirmed that the Ottoman Empire will not intervene in the war as long the Crimean Peninsula was not invaded.

The Tatars did what they always did when stronger armies attacked them. They simply evacuated the steppe and retreated towards Crimea.
The main problem for the Black Sea Alliance would be one of logistics.
On the last day of February, the three-pronged invasion began.
Finally the day had come for Eastern Europe to get rid of the Tatar menace once and for all.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I would ask you to provide as much info as you are comfortable with doing. The advantage to having a Romanian TL written by a Romanian is the level of detail you can provide that a foreigner could never know. For instance like the explanations you gave about the Romanian titles and alphabet changes. All good stuff.

I would leave that up to you and how you want Mihai to respond to events in lands around him.

Ok.

However, I would like some contributions, mainly about ATL events in the German and Italian States where other members have way more knowledge than I do.
Again, if anyone likes to contribute anything, send me a private message with the text for aproval.
If anyone wishes a certain historical figure to get a cameo or anything, just ask for it. You may ask for about anything. I will try to accomodate all requests, if possible.

Note: Funny how everyone thinks that I am a Romanian... Of course, I am a Romanian citizen and patriot and perhaps even a Romanian nationalist, but I am not an ethnic Romanian!

Last edited:
Ok.

However, I would like some contributions, mainly about ATL events in the German and Italian States where other members have way more knowledge than I do.
Again, if anyone likes to contribute anything, send me a private message with the text for aproval.
If anyone wishes a certain historical figure to get a cameo or anything, just ask for it. You may ask for about anything. I will try to accomodate all requests, if possible.

Note: Funny how everyone thinks that I am a Romanian... Of course, I am a Romanian citizen and patriot and perhaps even a Romanian nationalist, but I am not an ethnic Romanian!
You Hungarian or German?

Zagan

Donor
You Hungarian or German?

Secret... I expect more people trying to guess it.
Hint: There are 20 ethnic minorities in Romania :p (excluding any recent immigrants). And I do not think there are any ethnic Hungarian which are Romanian nationalists. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Secret... I expect more people trying to guess it.
Hint: There are 20 ethnic minorities in Romania :p (excluding any recent immigrants). And I do not think there are any ethnic Hungarian which are Romanian nationalists. :rolleyes:

Hahaha

My guess is either Turk or Ukrainian :)

If I'm not mistaken, what is OTL Odessa is already part of Romania, correct? Once the Tartar threat has been dealt with, Romania will have one of the finest harbors in the Black Sea - one hopes the city still is world-famous for its architecture, culture and women under Romanian rule :p

Zagan

Donor
If I'm not mistaken, what is OTL Odessa is already part of Romania, correct? Once the Tartar threat has been dealt with, Romania will have one of the finest harbors in the Black Sea - one hopes the city still is world-famous for its architecture, culture and women under Romanian rule :p

Yes, the site where IOTL Odessa will be founded in about two centuries is already TTL Romanian territory. In 160x though, there is not even a village, nothing.
I suppose TTL Romania will build a harbour there. I am not sure about its future architecture or culture, but I can assure you that it will be full of Romanian women, which are as beautiful as OTL Ukrainian women. ;)

Last edited:
And now, Request time!
As I already told you, I do requests.

Several readers were interested in TTL Medieval Romanian alphabet, orthography and language and the differencies between it, Latin, OTL Medieval Romanian and OTL Modern Romanian (no TTL Modern Romanian yet).
I was going to post something like this anyway a little later, when a group of scholars summoned by Mihai Viteazul would work to standardize the language.
However, it is probably nicer to have it here, since there will be several more bits and pieces in Romanian.

Sorry I got behind on this, but
1) why 2 'x's? (2 'g's for the two sounds, but both xs seem to be the same)
2) you don't list the letters with diacriticals
3) interesting the (attempted) removal of Slavic and Hungarian loan words. I suspect that's counterproductive, but seems consistent with your thesis.

Notes:
[1] Măria Ta is a formula used for addressing to Romanian Voivodes and Domnitors. It is not Your Majesty (Maiestatea Voastră), nor Your Highness (Înălțimea Voastră), nor Your Excellency (Excelența Voastră), nor Your Grace (Eminența Voastră), but rather something like Your Greatness, using the singular form of You (see the T-V Distinction in Romance languages). It is thus, quite cumbersome to translate and I decided to leave it unchanged.

You use "voivode" here and many other places.
Since he's replacing Slavic loanwords, should this be Prince (or whatever the Romanian equivalent might be)

Zagan

Donor
Sorry I got behind on this, but
1) why 2 'x's? (2 'g's for the two sounds, but both xs seem to be the same)
2) you don't list the letters with diacriticals
3) interesting the (attempted) removal of Slavic and Hungarian loan words. I suspect that's counterproductive, but seems consistent with your thesis.

1. There is a single X. I simply listed its 2 possible phonetic values (exactly like in English: lax vx. exam).

2. The letters with diacritics are listed. You may have to scroll down that "code" box.

3. Yes. The forced hyperlatinization of the language will have mixed results. Some words will get removed (the rarely used ones), but most will not. People usually talk the way they want to and know how, not the way they are told they should. We also had OTL a similar attempt, albeit later (~1800), with similar results.

You use "voivode" here and many other places.
Since he's replacing Slavic loanwords, should this be Prince (or whatever the Romanian equivalent might be)

You and I know that it is slavic. Mihai's scholars back then did not.
Later Mihai will be Emperor so the Voivode issue, while discovered, it will be moot.

Last edited: