"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Map #35. Romanian Colonies in the Middle East around 1640

Zagan

Donor

Romanian Colonies in the Middle East around 1640

Google Colonies 1640.jpg

Notes:
The Legend is included in the Map (I had some free space in the NW)
2. The Sinai Canal (OTL Suez Canal) was not yet finalized in 1640 (but work was under way)
3. The Port of Akrotiki and the surrounding area on the Greek Island of Cyprus was leased to Romania for a period of 99 years.
4. In 1640, Romania was not yet in control of the whole territory of its Colonies.
5. The low-intensity war with Arabia in Eastern Sinai was still ongoing.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Part One of TTL is approaching its finish line (probably less than 10 chapters to go).

Anything you would like to see being covered before the end of Part One?
As always, I am open to suggestions.

Hopefully, I will write the following chapter today.

Last edited:
Update on Korea

Here's a very belated update on Korea:
Before analysing the reforms carried out by Lee Hwon in the first few years as his rule as king, it is necessary to explore why the two Japanese invasions of Korea were so detrimental, so completely destructive of society. Three main reasons can be identified: the severe lack of training and experience by the Korean soldiers; the structural problems within the Korean military that persisted throughout the war; and the constant lack of supplies, in terms of either foodstuffs or weaponry.

1. Before and throughout the war, the majority of the battles were fought by Korean archers. Unlike a musketeer, an archer can easily claim the life of his foe with complete disregard to the weather and terrain; preparation for attack can be done in complete silence and darkness, unlike the Japanese. However an archer needs at least an year of thorough and rigorous training to be competent in the battlefield; training to use a musket merely needs a week. While the Koreans were struggling to produce even ten archers, the Japanese were already pumping out hundreds, possibly even thousands, of completely replaceable warriors onto the peninsula.

2. Any organisation and institution, whether it be an entourage of actors or an expansive empire, is naturally structured in a pyramidical shape: there lies numerous subordinates at the bottom, and one at the top. This system, despite its inherent problems, also possesses three main qualities that make it naturally the most efficient method of rule:
  • It is easy to keep each other in check and putting the entire system under surveillance. Equals keep each other form making mistakes, while superiors can keep an eye on his subordinates with ease. While the system can consolidate power too much on the top, it has almost no possibility of failing to serve whatever purpose it may possess.
  • It is the most efficient way in gaining and spreading information. Intelligence from the bottom spreads most quickly and without error to the top if there is a clear hierarchy and only one pathway it needs to follow - bottom to top, up the ladder. And false intelligence is more fatal than having no intelligence at all.
  • It is, finally, the easiest way to transfer knowledge and wisdom over long period of time; a member who has climbed up the rungs of the institution will, when at the top, be able to both use the philosophy his superiors have passed down to him and spread down such knowledge himself.
These characteristics were the exact ones that were lacking in the Korean military of the time. Multiple records point to "every man capable of wielding a sword or arrow" declaring themselves generals and corporals, then proceeding all command a small group of soldiers and often using them to garner wealth or power. Even on the top there were several military forces, either being commanded by the central government, the board of Marshals, the defence ministry, or the King himself. It is impossible to pinpoint whether the structural paradox arose due to the dire circumstances of the war and the need for individuals to try gain access to as much foods as possible(rice was centrally controlled by the government) or the opposite was the case. However it is possible to state that this myriad of issues, overlooked during the centuries of relative peace and stability, became all more evident as Joseon as a society slowly crumbled to a halt during the seven long years of war.

3. Korea was a peninsula that was, at this time, feeding a population of around 10 million. This meant that vast tracts of land, either producing rice or other types of grain, were being carefully tended to around the clock. During the war it became evident however that Korea had not the capabilities to even feed ten thousand soldiers; a complete scourging of the entire northwestern provinces only led to a collection of ten bags of rice(enough to feed ten soldiers for a day). The issue of lack of foodstuffs became even more apparent as Ming infantry divisions began pouring in and demanded food from Korea.

From this it becomes clear why the first series of reforms - designed by Ryu Sung-ryong, promulgated and enacted by Lee Hwon - were of military nature: the military was the bulwark of the state against foreign invaders, the military was the representation of national strength, and the military was inspiration for a certain sense of discipline and morale amongst the people. Furthermore, the military allowed room for centralisation of power towards the king, which was more than necessary in pushing for reforms on grander scales than the first one.

The reforms were of the following:
  1. Establishment of Scouting units, both on foot and on horseback, who will make sure the local commander is aware of hostile troop movements up to 200 li (~50 miles);
  2. Annual reports analysing potential enemy forces and comparison of strengths and weaknesses against Korea's;
  3. Restructuring of the army by military units of Sa-Cho-Ki-Dae-Wo(3000-900-300-100-50 individual soldiers);
  4. Emphasis in training for defensive warfare on a flat battlefield(moats, mud forts, caltrops);
  5. Reconstruction of all forts and castles with constant maintenance for accommodation of at least one cannon and munitions;
  6. Emphasis in training for firing arrows in formation, ensuring continued fire even when on the move;
  7. Enforcements of scorched earth tactics when in strategic retreat;
  8. Establishment of a two-armies grenadier system, one guarding the capital and one guarding other parts of Korea, to ensure trained soldiers leading the army into battle and breaking enemy lines.
The final reform deserves further analysis. During the course of the war a formation of seasoned, ferocious front-line soldiers was shown to greatly impact the morale of an army and therefore the course of battles; these soldiers, originally picked from some of the better fighters of the Righteous Armies(guerrilla units during the war), were to excel in strength and agility, skilled in hand-to-hand combat and always leading massed armies to war. 20,000 of these soldiers were to be trained for a year and be stationed in garrisons, 10,000 within the capital and another 10,000 along the border and guarding strategic posts. Loyal only to the monarch and the direct chain of command, these were to act as vanguards of the Kingdom at all times.

During the first months of the reforms it is most likely that the government, particularly Lee, was uncertain of their success. The bureaucracy was up in arms against any concept of militarisation for fear of an armed coup, the people were barely living off anything nature could offer them, and the military was beyond repair in the eyes of all. The issue particularly lay with the lack of tax revenue - corruption was growing unchecked and revenue was abysmally small, and a reform would only make matters worse. Therefore Lee Hwon attempted something that was only a sign of desperation at the time and prescient at the present day: he began opening the borders of Korea to international trade with tariffs.

The Korean royal court was aware of the amount of trade Japan was making with various "barbaric nations" and how much wealth it was garnering off them. They were also aware of fears regarding the spread of "heathen religions" by the merchants and priests. However Lee Hwon strongly brushed off criticisms of his new policy, arguing that "our superior ideology will stand steadfast against theirs"; it was agreed however to put "anti-foreigner signs" along road intersections and in the middle of cities to inspire the people from being influenced by them.

Two main towns were to be open as intermediary harbours for Korean and foreign merchants to interact in an orderly fashion: Koje and Jindo; being on the end of major trade routes and far from the capital, both areas were considered "safe" and easy places to put foreign influence at the minimum. Trading posts and harbours were set up, and regular trade began from spring of 1601. German, Iberian, and Chinese merchants began entering the Korean economy, helping keep Korean merchants competitive in their trade of porcelain, oiled paper and ginseng against their silk, cotton and other exotic rarities. In particular, strange items such as "wheel-lock firearms", "potatoes" or "corn" became introduced to Korea...
Hope you enjoyed that.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Good job! Thanks!

One thing... in TTL:
- Dutch = German;
- Spanish & Portuguese = Iberian.

Last edited:

GdwnsnHo

Banned
A Suez Canal, 2 centuries early?

*swoon*

This is a terrifying Romania Wank. Not a bad thing, but I half expect them to start making a move to control East Asian trade soon.

Zagan

Donor
A Suez Canal, 2 centuries early?

*swoon*

This is a terrifying Romania Wank. Not a bad thing, but I half expect them to start making a move to control East Asian trade soon.

Well... things are going to get interesting in the Indian Ocean.

Last edited:
Well... things are going to get interesting in the Indian Ocean.

I suppose Romania has now replaced the Ottomans in the role of the Spice Trade - with a strong monopoly over the canal, other European countries will continue to be forced to invest in other routes to reach India and China. That canal's going to be one hell of a budget-guzzler though...

Zagan

Donor
I suppose Romania has now replaced the Ottomans in the role of the Spice Trade - with a strong monopoly over the canal, other European countries will continue to be forced to invest in other routes to reach India and China. That canal's going to be one hell of a budget-guzzler though...

The canal tax is going to be not too low in order to yield a healthy profit, but not to high either lest the customers decide to double the Cape of Good Hope instead.

I have also in mind an attack / invasion of the Canal Zone by some (undisclosed) foreign Power (although a little later).

Unfortunately, I had some trouble with my computer, so the updates are a little late on schedule.

Last edited:
The canal tax is going to be not too low in order to yield a healthy profit, but not to high either lest the customers decide to double the Cape of Good Hope instead.

I have also in mind an attack / invasion of the Canal Zone by some (undisclosed) foreign Power (although a little later).

Unfortunately, I had some trouble with my computer, so the updates are a little late on schedule.

The question remains on why they'd be able to make that balance, when they haven't taken Macroeconomics 101 on the nature of monopolies - furthermore there was a consensus earlier here that the only reason such a canal would be profitable would be due to its strategic significance for the navy. Also 1640 is a bit too early for engineering to be able to construct a feat that size.

I know how good this TL's Romaniawank is going to be, it's just not going to be able to accommodate a Suez Canal in the 17th century.

Zagan

Donor
The question remains on why they'd be able to make that balance, when they haven't taken Macroeconomics 101 on the nature of monopolies - furthermore there was a consensus earlier here that the only reason such a canal would be profitable would be due to its strategic significance for the navy. Also 1640 is a bit too early for engineering to be able to construct a feat that size.

I know how good this TL's Romaniawank is going to be, it's just not going to be able to accommodate a Suez Canal in the 17th century.

Good points, but I have some answers:

1. The optimal price will be found on a trial and error base.

2. The Navy is going to make good use of it. Remember that India and Indonesia are not yet claimed in their entirety. I am not saying that Romania is going to capture them, only that... (snipped).

3. Early? The Pharaohs build a largely equivalent canal millenia ago! There are no locks, no rock to blast, nothing just sand and soil to be excaved. This is not the Panama canal. In OTL, the Europeans did not dig it earlier because of the simple fact that the Ottomans controlled the area.

Last edited:
Good points, but I have some answers:

1. The optimal price will be found on a trial and error base.

2. The Navy is going to make good use of it. Remember that India and Indonesia are not yet claimed in their entirety. I am not saying that Romania is going to capture them, only that... (snipped).

3. Early? The Pharaohs build a largely equivalent canal millenia ago! There are no locks, no rock to blast, nothing just sand and soil to be excaved. This is not the Panama canal. In OTL, the Europeans did not dig it earlier because of the simple fact that the Ottomans controlled the area.

1. You may be overestimating the capabilities of a pre-modern bureaucracy.

2. This still means evergrowing debt for the Romanian central bank. Wait - does Romania have a central bank yet?

3. And the canal was rarely used even then because of maintainence costs. It's worth noting that the Ottomans technically could've built a canal but never did OTL.

Zagan

Donor
1. You may be overestimating the capabilities of a pre-modern bureaucracy.

2. This still means evergrowing debt for the Romanian central bank. Wait - does Romania have a central bank yet?

3. And the canal was rarely used even then because of maintainence costs. It's worth noting that the Ottomans technically could've built a canal but never did OTL.

1. I may... I was thinking of something like this:
- Why are the Germans and British NOT using our canal?
- Maybe the taxes are too high...
- Let's lower them a little and let's see if the traffic increases.

2. Oh, no! No central bank. Just the Treasury of the State. Actually, I do not think there are any banks at all in 1630-1640 TTL Romania.

3. Maintainance is a problem... I will think about the economic issues a little more.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
So, may I assume that this thread is dead?

Seriously? it's only been 11 days since the last post.

The thread may become dead without notice only if I die.

Otherwise, I will have the minimum decency to inform you that I am going to stop posting in it for whatever reasons.

Now, the reasons I failed to update are:
- (serios) computer problems;
- (milder) health problems.

I will try to post another chapter as soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:
The thread may become dead without notice only if I die.

Otherwise, I will have the minimum decency to inform you that I am going to stop posting in it for whatever reasons.

Now, the reasons I failed to update are:
- (serios) computer problems;
- (milder) health problems.

I will try to post another chapter as soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest.

Feel better and hope your computer problems resolve. Looking forward to more updates...

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Merry Christmas everyone!

I gave up all hope of recovering the lost chapters and began to rewrite them from scratch. I will probably begin to post again sometime this week. I hope that I did not lose my readers.

Last edited:
Yes! It's back! :D

I hope you have an easy time rewriting those chapters. I know how it can feel having to create something all over again after putting so much work into it.