Who was the best president of the United States in this timeline?

• Calvin Coolidge: the Revolutionary President

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reconstruction
Reconstruction: August 1866

Armed blue clad union troops still held check points in the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The city was in the midst of rebuilding. Reconstruction was going along as planned. Some had feared that Scott's death in May would end the program.

Vice President Schuyler Colfax instead promised to continue reconstruction until the four states could be peafully readmitted.

It was no secret that Colfax also hoped to kill slavery in the United States at the Same time. Current military administrator Major General Edgar Allan Poe had been ordered to "officially" register all the slaves he'd previously come across when marching through the state as freed men and pay them a decent wage in order to rebuild portions of the city. On August 11th, senator Fredrick Douglas of Maryland arrived in the state to witness the progress of the former slaves. He was invited to dinner with Poe.

The restaurant was an open courtyard with a cook standing by his fire under a tent. Considering how destroyed the city was, it was a good set up.
"So, it seems that things are progressing?"
Poe nodded, bobbing his head while eating a fork of potatoes. "Yes, though the whites here dislike our presence. They hate the carpet baggers even more."
Douglas paused to wipe his greasy hands. "I've heard that there have been attacks by Bushwackers in Hayes' district in Mississippi. Has the same happened hear?"
"Small hits and runs by a band of green shirts. They're not very strong, and I've put out more men on patrol."
"Ah, excellent."

Poe leaned forward. "So, I hear that President Colfax is planning on passing an amendment. True?"
"If he can muster the support without making Rubrum, Creek, and Cherokee bolt."
"They won't. They saw what happens to the other states that left. They'll have to accept it. Or they shall be shown the error of their choices."

Last edited:
A Reconstruction that actually works AND General Edgar Allan Poe, good update. Keep it up man.
Thanks! Also, sorry for the long wait. I wasn't completely sure how I wanted to actually do the update, so I'm glad y'all like.

Anglo Canadian Relations
An Icy Rift: 1859-1866

The Dominion of Canada, for years a perfect example of a loyal colony, was changing. Many of the Canadians felt betrayed by the British for "not fully comiting to the war". Indeed, aside from the Royal Navy, it was Canada and Albion that did most of the fighting in North America. Many defenders of the British Empire were beginning to see the mother nation in a less than glamorous light. One such man was Alexander Roberts Dunn.

Dunn, a hero of both Canada and Crimea, was angry. He had been captured by Sherman after the Battle of the Bay and placed in a POW camp in New York. While there, he awaited word for any British counterattacks. There was none. Then came the peace treaty. This outraged Dunn.

The bar in Toronto was poorly lit, but well filled. Dunn was ranting and preaching. "England doesn't care about us! They see us as underlings! As servents!" His rhetoric was independence aligned, almost American in nature. Dunn's followers began to protest and call for complete independence from The United Kingdom.
"A Great White North independent of England. A free republic of Canada. A nation where we do not bow to Britain, but stand as her equal!"

Naturally, Unionists and Members of Parliament were alarmed at this. There were calls to arrest Dunn. But It was understood that doing that would hurt the cause of the British Empire and the Unionists.

What ever was to be done had to be done fast.

Albion
Admission of The State of Albion: 1859-1869

September 7th, 1869
Louis Galtier walked through the thick, cheering crowd, shaking hands, kissing babies. Climbed the steps of the Great Hall in Little Rock. The chilly autumn air blew through his graying hair. Former President Jefferson Davis stood at the top of the stairs, smiling. He firmly shook hands with Galtier. They posed for a picture that would certainly be the front page of the Albion Courier tomorrow.

After the ceremony, Louis slowly rubbed his hand over the new birch desk, gleefully reading the plaque on the furniture: Governor Louis Galtier.
"I'm the first governor of Albion," he muttered quietly. The flag of the state was drapped on the wall under the battle torn flag from the Anglo American War. On the right wall was a picture of Davis. On the desk was a photograph of Sherman.

Albion, a proud new state, was not exactly stable after annexation. The now former territory was resistive, Bushwackers striking in the woods and deserts. Then there was the conflicts with the French Canadians. But, after almost a decade, the colony had simmered down. The Americans were letting them live more or less as the British had. Peace had won out in the end.

Galtier sat down. He poured a bottle of brandy.
"Here's to a prosperous future".

404547-562f365233a07738b0def60d0be82695.jpg

Flag of Albion (By @FriendlyGhost )

US States in 1869
1 Delaware
2 Pennsylvania
3 New Jersey
4 Georgia
5 Connecticut
6 Massachusetts
7 Maryland
8 South Carolina
9 New Hampshire
10 Virginia
11 New York
12 North Carolina
13 Rhode Island
14 Vermont
15 Kentucky
16 Tennessee
17 Ohio
18 Louisiana
19 Indiana
20 Mississippi
21 Illinois
22 Cherokee
23 Creek
24 Maine
25 Rubrum
26 Texas
27 Albion

EDIT: my bad, I forgot to include Texas as the 26th state. You know, the state whose admittance touched off the American Civil War. That was my mistake

Last edited:
U.S. Presidents
1789-1797 George Washington (independent) 1st
1797-1801 John Adams (federalist) 2nd
1801-1809 Thomas Jefferson (DemRep)3rd
1809-1817 James Madison (DemRep) 4th
1817-1825 DeWitt Clinton (Federalist) 5th
1825-1827 Rufus King* (Federalist) 6th
1827-1829 Timothy Pickering (Federalist) 7th
1829-1837 Sam Houston (Democrat) 8th
1837-1841 David Crockett (Democrat) 9th
1841-1848 John Quincy Adams* (Libertarian) 10th
1848-1852 Daniel Webster* (Libertarian) 11th
1852-1853 Millard Fillmore (Libertarian) 12th
1853-1861 Jefferson Davis (Democrat) 13th
1861-1866 Winfield Scott* (Libertarian) 14th
1866-1869 Schuyler Colfax (Libertarian) 15th

*Died in Office

Last edited:
Wild West
Cowboys and Outlaws: The Hunt for "Red" Otto Burr: 1869

Hanover Territory, 1869.

Dutch Van der Linde and his partner Hosea Matthews hitched their horses to the trees overlooking a small farm. Green stalked corn stood in tended rows, oxen pulled a plow in the distance while controlled by fieldhands. The duo walked to the sod house, hands away from their holsters.
"I'll do the taking Dutch. You'll just scare 'em."
"Old friend, I'm not going to scare some farmer. I'm a charismatic man. Not some ape like buffoon."

The door to the home slammed open. An angry farmer occupied the opening, a blunderbuss in hand.
"Who are you, and why are you blokes on me property?" By his accent, one could tell he was one of the original English settlers.
"I am Officer Matthews, and this is my associate Officer Van der Linde. We're here to cover a lead on a red men."
"I have no trouble with injuns."
"My friend here is trying to say we are looking for that band of ruffians in the red vests."
The farmer sat down his gun.
"Oh, you're seeking them Bushwackers."

The Red Men, a splinter group from the army of irregulars from the Anglo American War, had been a thorn in the side of American settlers and the local government. Governor JEB Stuart demanded that the gangs to be eliminated, or at least taken down a peg ("I refuse to let these red vested bastards to turn us into a flat Ireland with revolts happening every few years.") One of the most prominent gang leaders was a "Red" Otto Burr. Not much was known about him except that he had a tendency to wear red face paint, red bandanas, red vests, red shirts... pretty much everything he wore was red.

He was also a notorious killer, infamous for leaving victims in pieces across the territory.

When Dutch and Hosea got their tip from the farmer, the disembarked.
"So, Burr is in Valentine, Huh? Looks like we might have to catch a train at Wellington."
"It appears so, old friend. We'll need to put the horses in the in the live stock car."
The two continued chatting as they rode to a semi large town in the middle of no where, only existing because of cattle farms and rail roads.

It was close to midnight, and Dutch and Hosea were playing cards. As the older man was preparing to fold when he saw a movement out the window.
"Dutch".
"I see them. It's red men." The two grabbed their revolvers out of their bags and waited for and actions by the group. They didn't have to wait long, as gun fire sounded off. The two officers quietly exited their room, revolvers loaded, and slid across the wall.

Two red men were going from room to room in the sleeping car, robbing people of their valuables. Bang! Dutch's weapon fired and downed one while Hosea killed the other. A thump was behind them. Turning, they felled the gang member.

The two went across the train, fighting red men. "This is as hard a fight as the election of '68!" Screamed Hosea. Dutch fired off a few rounds, the wind whipping his hair on the flat car. "Yes, and we're Samuel J Tilden!" The next bullet exploded the criminal's knee, causing him to fall off the train.

They found one of the gang members in the baggage car, both Colts empty. "Well, well. Look who we have here." A sudden pistol whip forced him to the floor. Dutch, now reasonably angry, struck him twice. "So, boi", he started. "Do you know where Red Otto is?"
"Dutch, he's in Valentine. "
"Hosea, I am taking care of this".
He slapped him again. "Where is Otto?"
"I ain't talking".
"Wrong answer." Dutch broke fingers, pulled teeth, and cut flesh. He broke, screaming the location of his boss. "He's at Eastwood ranch! He's at Eastwood ranch! A days ride from Valentine!" "There, that wasn't so hard."

Eastwood ranch, a decrepit series of building and overgrown fields, came into view of the duo. "Otto Burr! Come out with your hands up!" Windows on the rotting house opened, several red vested men peered out. Red Otto Burr walked out the door, two revolvers in his holsters. "I believe you fellas are in the wrong place." "Otto Burr, you are under arrest for murder, robbery, plotting a revolt, and public urination."
"Oh my!" He threw his hands up in mock shock. "Why, little old me couldn't hurt a fly. I do believe you have the wron-". His words were cut short by Officer Matthews weapon, as his head was too busy exploding to finish the sentence. His underlings opened fire from the windows, forcing Hosea and Dutch to find cover. "And you gave me Hell for beating that boy on the train!" Shouted Dutch between shots.
"I couldn't stand to listen to him blather on any longer." Gunfire was traded between the two for almost fifteen minutes. Hosea ended the fight when his bullet hit the oil lamp in the home, Turing it into a crematorium. The ones who made it out were cut down by the law.

Dutch loaded Otto's body onto his horse. "Governor Stuart ordered us to bring proof that it's him. Looks good in the record book." The two began their trip back to the capital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, so it's a little different this time in the update, but I just wanted to kind of show what was happening in the wild west at the time. And yes, I have been playing lots of red dead redemption 2.

Reconstruction part 2
The Election of 1868: 1867-1869

It was the first election after the American Civil War, and it was tense. Of the three usual parties, only two were standing, seeing as most of the American Party members were imprisoned for treason. The Liberty Party, the party of John Quincy Adams, and the Democratic Party, the party of Sam Houston, we're left to duke it out.

The Democratic Party nominated Horatio Seymour. Francis Blair Jr was selected as his vice president.

The Liberty Party was more torn. The party was divided on who would be the party candidate. Many supported a the incumbent Colfax, but others (particularly the New England members) supported Samuel J Tilden. As the Libertarian convention ran on, the Democrats began to campaign. After much infighting, Tilden secured the nomination.

Seymour ran on the platform that the former Federated States should be changed and reconstructed on state level, Tilden advocated that the national government should be the one to do it. Tilden also called for an amendment to permanently ban slavery from the United States.

Horatio Seymour's vice presidential nominee Blair caused controversy when he toured and attempted to garner support for his ticket by attacking reconstruction and Colfax. "The negroes shall rape the white women and kill the white man and deprive our nation of dignity!" He was reported to have said at a rally. Seymour and his party attempted damage control, but the damage was done. Tilden drew much support from the immigrant population and the free black population for his promise of "Peace, Unity, and Equality."

Another component of his success in the election was the touring of his vice presidential nominee Schuyler Colfax (who was given the position to convince him and his supporters) in the southern states that bore the brunt of the battles during the Civil War as well as the currently being reconstructed states.

Samuel J Tilden was elected president of the United States in November, and took office in March of 1869.

Fall of Freedonia
The Fall of Freedonia: 1864-1872

The two most alike nations in the Midwest were Freedonia and Libertalia. They were both founded by trekkers, and both had slavery. Both nations enjoyed the limited contact with the United States, preferring to isolate themselves.

Of course, the fact that they recognized the Federated States of America as a legitimate nation was a breach in this protocol. Freedonia, currently under the presidency of Nathan Bedford Forrest, was facing an issue. Escaped slaves were causing havoc by using hit and run tactics, robbing caravans and burning farms. Worse, they often fled across the border into U.S. territory, preventing capture. The Americans denied that it was happening, but everyone knew it was. Forrest appealed to the president of Libertalia William Walker for assistance in rooting out the rebels. Walker, more concerned with his nation's problems, declined.

Worse for Forrest, the territories were starting to fill up with settlers. With the election of Tilden in 68, he knew the United States was not going to simply stand by and watch as slaves worked the fields. Forrest's advisers hinted at the possibility that the Americans would invade if they didn't do something about their particular institution.

But what could they Do? Part of the reason that Freedonia was founded was to get away from the abolitionists in Tennessee. The population would likely Lynch Nathan Bedford Forrest if he introduced emancipation. Yet, Forrest, a former slave trader, was beginning to question the practice, even if it was only in the privacy of his journals and mind. What to Do? Economically, Freedonia could survive without slavery, even if it would be a rough transition. But most people wouldn't except it if he tried to pass it.

Then, in July of 1869, one of the largest slave revolts in Freedonia's history occurred, 236 slaves broke their chains and attacked their masters. Worse, much of the army was off hunting escapees in the hills. With local militias not being enough, Forrest made an emergency decision. Using national funds, Forrest offered to buy all the slaves around the capital. After acquiring at least a third of the slaves, Forrest promised them freedom in return for quelling the rebellion.

129 blacks marched alongside 97 whites to confront the slave army in the west. The blacks instead turned on the whites and joined with the slave army, intent on marching to Riverdale. Word of the betrayal sent many in the capital into a rage. The slaves in the city were attacked by the citizens of the city. This in turn prompted the slaves to fight back and kill their masters. President Forrest was killed in the fighting along with most of the government. The slaves, now in control of the capital, declared the leader of the rebellion, Marcus, the new president.

Freedonia In Flames: July - September 1869

With Riverdale in the hands of the slaves and most of the legislature dead, the nation was thrown into chaos. Of the 37 congressmen, only 13 remained due to not being in the city when it fell. The army and the 13 congressmen regrouped in Lovingsville, a decent town in the west.

Men came across the countryside to enlist in the ramshackle army. By July 20th, 500 men had enlisted, though only 349 were professional enlisted soldiers. More were pouring in from the rural areas. Even better, Libertalia had sent two companies to quell the rebellion.

The slaves in Riverdale attempted to build a new future. Slaves were called to the city. The armory was looted, guns passed to all the males. The gunpowder stores were emptied as well. The slaves, lacking any real military experience, received little training. 319 members of the free men army prepared for the worst. On August 3rd, the Freedomite Army departed from Lovingsville and began the March to the capital. The plan: to crush the slave revolt before winter arrives.

Battle of Riverdale: September 1869

Pages 10 through 20 of Zackary Gerald's Republic of on the Plains, published 1967.

Departing in early August, the Freedonian army arrived on the outskirts of Riverdale. The plan wasn't overly complex; Kill the slave leaders and put the rest to work in the fields. "Simplicity works best at times" major general John Buckwheat told a newspaper reporter from Libertalia. The military leaders knew that a knockout blow was needed, after all, winter was coming.

The slaves were keenly aware of winter's arrival being just off the horizon. The granary was only half filled, a result of the rebellion's timing. The women were put to work in the fields since all the men were armed with whatever weapons they could find.

On September 7th, 1869, the army arrived with 1000 men, some from Libertalia, others simple farmers. At approximately six o'clock PM, the Freedonians launched their attack across the river with 672 men. The other the other 382 maneuvered around the city and attacked from the other side.

The slaves dug in and fired from the houses and buildings, marking this the first instance of urban combat in Freedonia's history. The whites pushed into the city, taking heavy losses. The fighting ground down, dragging on for days. As powder and ammunition ran low for both sides in the field, the firefights became violent brawls as masters and slaves turned to hand to hand fighting. The women and children were not spared from the fighting, soldiers attacking them in the fields.

September 12th, 1869.

It is unknown how it happened, but during the fighting, the granary buildings went up in flames, destroying all the supplies inside them. The fighting continued for another two days before the remnants of the slave army retreated to the north. Freedonia had it's city, or what was left of it, back in its hands. But with the poor harvest and the destruction of the granary, a crisis was on the horizon.

The starving times were just around the corner.

The Starving Times: September 1869 - February 1870

Pages 20 through 31 of Zackary Gerald's Republic on the Plains, published 1967.

Freedonia was in dire straits. With the government in shambles, the nation struggled to do anything. Most of the workers were dead or in the hills. Fields were destroyed. As winter set it, more problems arrived.

Most fields failed to be properly tended, leading to a food shortage in the countryside. The loss of the food stores in the capital meant more would starve.

Some citizens turned to cannibalism to survive. Some of the surviving slave bands in the Hills were said to have "developed a fondness for 'white' meat".

Sickness spread through the ruins of Riverdale in December, killing even more. Historians estimate that 20-24% of the population died in this dark period of Freedonian history.

American Reconstruction & Intervention: 1869-1871

The United States continued its policy of Reconstruction in the "Rebellious Four" (Lousiana, South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi). Free black governments had been established, and with the aide of military occupation, protected from groups such as the Red Shirts (not affiliated with the Red Vests). Georgia and Lousiana had already been readmitted to the union by 1870.

On June 13th, 1870, the 13th amendment was passed in the United States, followed by the 14th and 15th amendments (aka the Reconstruction Amendments). It was a major victory for civil rights, even if black suffrage had been enshrined in most state constitutions anyways.

With the collapse of the government in Freedonia and the start of the famine, President Tilden was forced to turn his eyes to the crisis. Telegrams from the governor of the territory of Nebraska about the threat of violence spilling out. Desperate slaves and citizens of the Freedonia crossed the border and raided supplies, food, and powder. Tilden sent in the army to restore order. By late 1870, the U.S. Army entered the nation and seized the capital. Soldiers distributed food to the survivors in the city before dispersing and establishing check points in every major settlement.

In an effort to fairly treat everyone, slaves and runaway slaves were given equal amounts of food. And fights between the whites and blacks were crushed by the Americans. The slave catchers and rebelling slaves were both brought to heel. William Sherman was established as the occupation governor until it was decided that the Freedonians could properly govern themselves. William Walker of Libertalia formally protested these actions, to which Samuel J Tilden ignored. His priorities were to continue reconstruction of the South, the occupation of Freedonia, and subtle restructuring of the government of the mid western republic to bring an end to slavery there.

The Occupation of Freedonia & American Presidential Elections: 1870-1872

The American people were tired of the liberty party. Yes, Adams, Scott, Colfax, and Tilden were good presidents, but that was the problem wasn't It? America was experiencing party fatigue.

Tilden planned on running for a second term to continue reconstruction in the deep South. And now with the occupation of Freedonia, it was more added to his plate. The party announced that he would be their candidate for 1872.

The Democratic Party, keenly aware of the fatigue in America, quickly sought out for a suitable candidate. The party looked to the west. Jeb Stuart was famous in the east and west for his exploits in the Anglo American War, and as the governor of the territory of Hanover. Popular, well liked, and as far as people could tell, honest.

Stuart, when informed of his nomination, traveled to Baltimore for the Democratic national convention. Stuart gave a speech that called for the defense of black rights, reconstruction, the rebuilding of Freedonia, and to continue westward expansion with as little violence needed. The incumbent Samuel J Tilden had a similar platform, leading to a battle of personalities.

Stuart was dynamic and heroic, was in the lead, surpassing the bookish Tilden. In the end, party fatigue was a deciding factor, leading to Stuart of the Democratic Party winning the election.

Last edited:
So, we got a new state, Albion (Oklahoma and Arkansas) and there's a the territory of Hanover (Colorado and a small sliver of southern Wyoming).

But I was wondering, does anybody have any suggestions for names for the new states?