I like it! My only concern is that it might use too many colors 🤔 Maybe if the tiny rocket had a yellow border and Commonwealth blue central spine? That would take you down from a slightly cluttered seven to a nice five without sacrificing the pleasant angle of light implied by your existing color palette.
I'm happy to go with a simplified version, it's more about the idea itself. I'm wondering how versatile the logo is though and we can talk about any of the space force logos of the world that's based on the shape of a rocket. Air roundels have a well established set of logos, different kinds for different branches, uses, etc. Can we say the same about SF logos? The gray background meant to imitate the light blue of the air force ensign, a black background wouldn't really work plus it'd remind us of authoritarian symbolology.

I'm happy to go with a simplified version, it's more about the idea itself. I'm wondering how versatile the logo is though and we can talk about any of the space force logos of the world that's based on the shape of a rocket. Air roundels have a well established set of logos, different kinds for different branches, uses, etc. Can we say the same about SF logos? The gray background meant to imitate the light blue of the air force ensign, a black background wouldn't really work plus it'd remind us of authoritarian symbolology.
Oh I'm totally cool with the symbolism and the gray color, I just think that the general rule of thumb is that more than five colors (outside of the traditional pride flag) has a tendency to look busy. I think you're spot on with the chevron becoming the standard core symbol of space forces, I think it's a natural evolution from Star Trek.

Flag of the Southron Union. Basically a surviving CSA that after abolitionism and other civil rights still collapsed duo to how the country itself is organised.
Instead of establishing a "Second Confederated States" that either counts as the same state or an official successor state, the people decided to dump the Confederate system itself and establish a new union based on the common "Southron" identity that developed. That included a flag that represented all people (except the future Hispanic third pillar that at that time was still rather small and ignored) So the Southron Union was established. A federal republic based on the former states of the CSA.

It's stereotypes in the modern day includes being very ethnically diverse, being half way Spanish and English (especially after Spanish was declared the second official language), being very, VERY Christian, with some rather weird cults, it's people being very proud of it's guns and government being pretty weak, it's almost total free capitalist system, still being pretty anti LGBTQ (hard core Dixie Christianity doesn't mix well, who would have guessed) and not being really industrial people.

The Southron Union is rather isolationist outside of the Americas. It holds in general good relations with the rest of the Americas. The relations with the US though can't be called brotherly, with both sides (especially the South) rather ignoring their connected pre Civil War history. Especially the US doesn't see them anymore as their brothers.
Ironically enough without any big minorities in the remaining US, the US remained rather White centered. So the South is seen as too Black and Hispanic for their ethnic taste and too Christian and libertarian for the decade long Social Democratic winged US.

1697305538349.png

(BTW, the flag itself is based on Rhodesia-Zimbabwe)

Flag of the Southron Union. Basically a surviving CSA that after abolitionism and other civil rights still collapsed duo to how the country itself is organised.
Instead of establishing a "Second Confederated States" that either counts as the same state or an official successor state, the people decided to dump the Confederate system itself and establish a new union based on the common "Southron" identity that developed. That included a flag that represented all people (except the future Hispanic third pillar that at that time was still rather small and ignored) So the Southron Union was established. A federal republic based on the former states of the CSA.

It's stereotypes in the modern day includes being very ethnically diverse, being half way Spanish and English (especially after Spanish was declared the second official language), being very, VERY Christian, with some rather weird cults, it's people being very proud of it's guns and government being pretty weak, it's almost total free capitalist system, still being pretty anti LGBTQ (hard core Dixie Christianity doesn't mix well, who would have guessed) and not being really industrial people.

The Southron Union is rather isolationist outside of the Americas. It holds in general good relations with the rest of the Americas. The relations with the US though can't be called brotherly, with both sides (especially the South) rather ignoring their connected pre Civil War history. Especially the US doesn't see them anymore as their brothers.
Ironically enough without any big minorities in the remaining US, the US remained rather White centered. So the South is seen as too Black and Hispanic for their ethnic taste and too Christian and libertarian for the decade long Social Democratic winged US.

View attachment 862199

What are race relations in Southron union like?

What are race relations in Southron union like?
Mhm...
Not sure.
Probably one where people try to ignore the idea of "race". So like how people remember OTL 90s race relations or how Latin America is.
Imagine a lot of "mixed" couples between Blacks, Whites and Hispanics. The common language/dialects would probably be a mix of ATL AAVE, Southern dialects/accents and Spanish influences.
Or in other ways, like how Morgan Freeman said "Stop talking about it." when asked how to stop racism.

View attachment 862199

If it is supposed to be a successor state to the Confederation, why on earth would they adopt a variant of the Dutch Prinsenvlag?

Especially if we consider that it is very possible that they have seen the flags of the Boer Republics, with which it is very doubtful that they identify themselves with Boer Apartheid system.

At first glance what appears to be a variant of the Apartheid Republic of South Africa, not an American state.

EDIT: Also although I support a greater spread of Spanish I am a little confused as to why Spanish would spread in this region (it does not seem that the Southern Republic is a focus of attraction for immigrants and the population of origin was predominantly English speaking).

Last edited:
If it is supposed to be a successor state to the Confederation, why on earth would they adopt a variant of the Dutch Prinsenvlag?

I imagine the idea was the American (shared by both Union and Confederates) red-white-and-blue but distinct from the way USA and CSA used it, for which a tricolour works.

Especially if we consider that it is very possible that they have seen the flags of the Boer Republics, with which it is very doubtful that they identify themselves with Boer Apartheid system.

At first glance what appears to be a variant of the Apartheid Republic of South Africa, not an American state.

EDIT: Also although I support a greater spread of Spanish I am a little confused as to why Spanish would spread in this region (it does not seem that the Southern Republic is a focus of attraction for immigrants and the population of origin was predominantly English speaking).
Well it's not based on the Prinsenvlag, but being a tricolour based on the colours of the Confederate flag. Although I get the confusion.

Well in my mind I actually had the CSA be successful in spreading into the Caribbean and into Mexico a bit, so there would already have been a Hispanic basis to build upon.
Otherwise the South would still industrialize in the mid 20th century. Mix that with a new social view of race, in my eyes that would create an opportunity for a wast about of Latin American immigration.
Mix that with the ATL's US still being rather racist and having many restrictions on non-white immigration.

Well it's not based on the Prinsenvlag, but being a tricolour based on the colours of the Confederate flag. Although I get the confusion.

Well in my mind I actually had the CSA be successful in spreading into the Caribbean and into Mexico a bit, so there would already have been a Hispanic basis to build upon.
Otherwise the South would still industrialize in the mid 20th century. Mix that with a new social view of race, in my eyes that would create an opportunity for a wast about of Latin American immigration.
Mix that with the ATL's US still being rather racist and having many restrictions on non-white immigration.
The color combination looks like that of the Dutch flag, and I think it's even the same shade XD.

Personally, I would add these notes about the expansion to the original post, at least so that it is more quickly evident where this Spanish-speaking population comes from.

Because as it was written it cannot be deduced that CSA expanded to the Caribbean, since there is no mention of any border change in that region.

Crazy Boris

Banned

Maybe add some stars to it to make it look less Nederland?

That is the flag of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
I know, but I feel like it would be less compared to Yugoslavia than the Netherlands simply duo to the Netherlands having a more recognized flag and more presentation in media than Yugo outside of the war.

I know, but I feel like it would be less compared to Yugoslavia than the Netherlands simply duo to the Netherlands having a more recognized flag and more presentation in media than Yugo outside of the war.
That's true, and I suppose its entirely plausible that Yugoslavia simply never exists or uses a different flag in your TL.

Same as in the CoA thread, there were multiple discussions of a new flag for Germany some years after the republic was established, with sometimes violent clashes.
One proposal by Ottfried Neubecker was a nordic flag, with the colours of the republic. It's probably this flag that later inspired the more famous Wirmer flags and the Wirmer based CDU proposal for a new post war West German flag.
Anyway, I combined it with the CoA I posted in the CoA thread, since this is how the state flag would have looked liked in Neubecker's proposal.
1697473168909.png

Same as in the CoA thread, there were multiple discussions of a new flag for Germany some years after the republic was established, with sometimes violent clashes.
One proposal by Ottfried Neubecker was a nordic flag, with the colours of the republic. It's probably this flag that later inspired the more famous Wirmer flags and the Wirmer based CDU proposal for a new post war West German flag.
Anyway, I combined it with the CoA I posted in the CoA thread, since this is how the state flag would have looked liked in Neubecker's proposal.

Reminds me a bit of flags I made for a post-WWI non-Nazi Greater German Empire many years ago ....

WZajPaU.png

and

77v5xUn.png

View attachment 862615
My only double-take was the notion of a republican Germany including a monarchist crown anywhere in their symbols. Otherwise it's pretty cool.