Status
Not open for further replies.
whistling of "The Farmer in the Dell" intensifies (emphasis in quote mine)
Heh.
View attachment 779513

Glad there's some Liberal somewhere who will face an electoral reckoning of being in charge during this fiasco.

Hyped the D'Alesandros are making an appearance down the line. Feel there's lots of storytelling potential there for you to explore as we progress throughout the narrative.

Holy shit. I know urban warfare is basically invented to cause as much damage as possible to an invading army but losing 25K men in six (!) days is something else. I think you've alluded to the wholesale slaughter of this war elsewhere but seeing numbers as stark as this really drives home how violently destructive warfare was in that time, especially on the attack.

"Hey yo lesson here General Scott, you come at the king, you best not miss."
Keeping Nancy as a hard-as-nails Baltimore machine apparatchik in particular has a certain aesthetic appeal to me, in particular.
Will we get to see inside Confederate prisoner-of-war camps? Alexander's eventual death from pneumonia does not give me hope for the conditions inside them. Andersonville anyone?
As a matter a fact (apologies if this is mentioned earlier in the timeline and I missed it), what happened to Henry Wirz in the Cincoverse? Of course, he was executed for war crimes in OTL, but with Confederate victory in the war before 1864 ITTL, Andersonville never would have even been opened.
Perhaps. We’ll have a check in with the captured Congressmen in due time but of course they’re in much better conditions than POWs.

Id never heard of him before, so I imagine a quiet life until he died, probably

Id never heard of him before, so I imagine a quiet life until he died, probably
He's a really interesing, in a morbid way, character. Swiss-American who went onto command the most infamous prison camp of the Civil War (if you haven't heard much of Andersonville, I would also suggest looking into it). He was the only confederate officer executed for treason after the war.
As for Wirz in Cincoverse, I always have the conundrum of whether bad people deserve happy endings in alternate timelines when their alternate versions did terrible things, but they themsleves didn't. I guess not necessarily, but it's still... uncomfortable imagining that he easily could have done terrible things, and only didn't because no oppurtunities presented themseleves and therefore gets off scot free.

The Confederacy suffered a jaw-dropping twenty-five thousand casualties over the course of six days, with seven thousand dead and eighteen thousand wounded, with hundreds succumbing to their wounds in the weeks and months thereafter. It had greatly slowed the Confederacy's advance to the Susquehanna, thus threatening their strategic initiative, and more importantly ended any pretense that the weak, effete Americans would wilt at the first sign of violence - the enemy could and would defend their home to the knife. Baltimore, even moreso than the depravities in Washington, was the first crucible that showed both sides exactly what kind of war this would be..."
Man, shit like this, makes me wish we had journal entries of CSA soldiers. Would be nice to see their fantasies shatter as they meet reality.

So is the Confederate Army using the proceeds from the sale of enslaved civilians to fund operations? Or merely to line officers' pockets?

I tip my hat towards Robert Alexander and the brave defenders of Baltimore. It seems that the Confederates will pay with (lots of) blood every inch they take.

I feel bad because while reading these entries I find myself cheering for the Yanks against the slavers and then I remember that Mexico is allied with the latter, so let's just say I got conflicting interests in this war (even if I know the outcome). Any other enemy fighting the USA besides the CSA would probably be another story.

Baltimore saw amongst the most brutal urban warfare of the war, which would be repeated the next year as the Confederacy retreated back to the Potomac...
In some ways this is the most significant thing mentioned. What this means to be is that not only is *Nashville* under attack in the following year (1914), the Confederacy has by (at latest) December 1914 largely been kicked out of Maryland & Pennsylvania (theoretically they may still hold the Maryland Eastern Shore even up to the C&D canal). I agree it is possible that San Diego has fallen with all of the US troops pulled East to conquer Yuma (a comment about the Far west being very broad).

The east is the *key* front, if the Confederacy has lost all of its gains there and has lost enough of Kentucky that Nashville (Metro) is under siege then functionally, then even if the Confederates can defend the Potomac, they are NOT in good shape.

Even the most *horrible* possible front lines with Nashville under seige, the Confederates back to the Potomac and the Union keeping "Tulsa" for the rest of the war) would be the following: The USA has collapsed on the Far Western Front (by correctly prioritizing the East and Center) and both San Diego, Los Angeles, and Yuma have been occupied by the Mexicans (I'm convinced the California National Guard could manage to keep them south of the San Francisco bay area) and the Confederates have managed to take parts of Western Kansas and *maybe* some of the US Ozark/Appalachian fronts in Missouri/West Virginia and keep control of the Chesapeake Eastern Shore south of the C&D. And even in that most horrible situation given what we know, the US would view themselves as winning.

I honestly expected this war (at least the part involving the CSA) to take as long as the OTL Civil War and OTL WWI, both of which were *about* four years. This description makes it look like the CSA will be *broken* in less than three years.

As a quick note that *may* affect terminology in Universe, and may even cause *small* retcons. According to Wikipedia, the first recorded use of the Delmarva for the Peninsula on the East side of the Chesapeake is in the 1870s for Businesses and it didn't come into common non-business usage until the 1920s. And I would expect it to be used *less* iTTL. (and of course after the war when the two counties are taken from Virginia and given to Maryland, it won't apply at all. :) )

In some ways this is the most significant thing mentioned. What this means to be is that not only is *Nashville* under attack in the following year (1914), the Confederacy has by (at latest) December 1914 largely been kicked out of Maryland & Pennsylvania (theoretically they may still hold the Maryland Eastern Shore even up to the C&D canal). I agree it is possible that San Diego has fallen with all of the US troops pulled East to conquer Yuma (a comment about the Far west being very broad).

The east is the *key* front, if the Confederacy has lost all of its gains there and has lost enough of Kentucky that Nashville (Metro) is under siege then functionally, then even if the Confederates can defend the Potomac, they are NOT in good shape.

Even the most *horrible* possible front lines with Nashville under seige, the Confederates back to the Potomac and the Union keeping "Tulsa" for the rest of the war) would be the following: The USA has collapsed on the Far Western Front (by correctly prioritizing the East and Center) and both San Diego, Los Angeles, and Yuma have been occupied by the Mexicans (I'm convinced the California National Guard could manage to keep them south of the San Francisco bay area) and the Confederates have managed to take parts of Western Kansas and *maybe* some of the US Ozark/Appalachian fronts in Missouri/West Virginia and keep control of the Chesapeake Eastern Shore south of the C&D. And even in that most horrible situation given what we know, the US would view themselves as winning.

I honestly expected this war (at least the part involving the CSA) to take as long as the OTL Civil War and OTL WWI, both of which were *about* four years. This description makes it look like the CSA will be *broken* in less than three years.

As a quick note that *may* affect terminology in Universe, and may even cause *small* retcons. According to Wikipedia, the first recorded use of the Delmarva for the Peninsula on the East side of the Chesapeake is in the 1870s for Businesses and it didn't come into common non-business usage until the 1920s. And I would expect it to be used *less* iTTL. (and of course after the war when the two counties are taken from Virginia and given to Maryland, it won't apply at all. :) )

We will need a map of the front lines, I reckon.

Good points all. I'd argue that the National Guards of the so-called "Zone 8/Zone 9" states that exist ITTL would be more than enough to keep the Mexicans and whatever CSA forcers out of most of southern California, let alone northern. CA/OR/WA have roughly six million people ITTL per the 1910 census. Add in whatever you can scrounge up from ID/UT/CO/WY/NV and you'd have more than enough of a National Guard to keep the Mexicans out of everything south of say Bakersfield if not even further south.

Good points all. I'd argue that the National Guards of the so-called "Zone 8/Zone 9" states that exist ITTL would be more than enough to keep the Mexicans and whatever CSA forcers out of most of southern California, let alone northern. CA/OR/WA have roughly six million people ITTL per the 1910 census. Add in whatever you can scrounge up from ID/UT/CO/WY/NV and you'd have more than enough of a National Guard to keep the Mexicans out of everything south of say Bakersfield if not even further south.
It has already been said that California will not be under significant threat for the remainder of the war.

The first major victory for the US of the war had been won - the Colorado was now entirely under the control of the United States, and the threat to California or western New Mexico effectively negated within the opening weeks of the conflict..."

- Pershing

We will need a map of the front lines, I reckon.
Eventually. I'm predicting *way* forward based on three mentions of "later in the war" in various pieces. In the short term, I'm just assuming that any point not specifially mentioned (or that is between an army that has invaded and their border) is part of the country that it started the war in. :)

Having mentioned Utah, I'm still curious about the tragedy that the LDS Church is going through with the expectation of significant number of saints in Confederate Arizona and Sonora Mexico (I'm not sure as many as iOTL, but still reasonable to expand/proselytize south.

And Mexico has a large army, even if it has a narrow border. I could see them being swamped, *but* if the Americans can control the Colorado River, then any attack on Mexico would have involve significant naval transport of troops to either Baja or California itself (Gallipoli???). OTOH, it does make Santa Fe a more appealing target.

Last edited:
I'm all caught up with the timeline and waiting for more, definitely underestimated the brutality that will be inherent in the fighting (for some dumb reason).

I'm interested to see how long the Confederates can maintain their offensive before everything everywhere on every front gets turned around and shoved right up the bums of the soldiers who think enslaving free citizens of another country is something civilization allows (not normal civilization that's for damn sure!), will it be measured in weeks or months? Hmm? *cackles*

Also if anything happens to poor Mexico, I hope they just lose Baja California since they don't quite deserve to be punished too hard (unless they do some evil crap but I don't think you'll be going that direction with them) and it fits nicely with America's policy of controlling the seas and would allow development of its myriad of potential ports and its not really heavily populated and unites all of California under one flag :3

It’s hard to see how the CSA could survive after stuff like this.
Survive as a country? The author has said that the CSA as a nation will continue. (possibly missing two states, a territory, a protectorate and possibly other things) . And I don't think the author has said that enslaving captured US Negros is anything other than Business as Usual for the CSA army (to the point where there may even be regulations about it)

Also if anything happens to poor Mexico, I hope they just lose Baja California since they don't quite deserve to be punished too hard (unless they do some evil crap but I don't think you'll be going that direction with them) and it fits nicely with America's policy of controlling the seas and would allow development of its myriad of potential ports and its not really heavily populated and unites all of California under one flag :3
My *guess* is that since rivers matter so much in this war that the United States would want not just Baja, but also the part of Sonora that drains into the last 50(?) miles of the Colorado River. Eyeballing it, that is a diamond about 40 miles by 40 miles and at least half of that today is part of two Biosphere Reserves. Even today, I'm not sure that area supports more than 50,000 people. (It is maybe 2% of the size of Baja, and at that point, its more lines on a map than anything else)

Note, iOTL, Sonora lost land in both the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the Gadsen Purchase, iTTL, the third one would be tiny compared to the first two.

Status
Not open for further replies.