Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good question.

As long as you have WGN broadcasting Cubs games coast to coast for decades you'll likely have the Cubs be popular across the country. Can't overstate how important it was to growing the fanbase to have games on basically everywhere. A quick story: I started college in the fall of 2003 at DePaul in Chicago. My freshman roommate was from Saint Petersburg, FL. My first college girlfriend was from Memphis, TN. Both of them were dyed-in-the-wool Cubs fans because they'd been watching games for basically their entire lives on WGN even though they lived hundreds of miles from Chicago

So if you combine that superstation-ness with an actual, honest-to-God successful team the Cubs might be the most popular team in the country.
Right, you might get Cubs being being popular in minor cities without a team or rural areas, since WGN would likely play the same role of filling in smaller markets. When my grandma moved from Chicago to Asheville, but still got to watch every Cubs game thanks to WGN.

Also cross USA-CSA sports leagues might get interesting…

Hopefully baseball stays in Milwaukee and permanently in this ATL without the teams moving away. Interestingly, a look at the history of baseball in the city shows that the most common name for teams during this era was the Brewers (no surprise there!) or the "Cream" (due to the city's nickname of the The Cream City)

When it comes to Rugby, it would be cool if more cities follow the Packers model of having the citizens of the city actually purchase the teams. I doubt this would happen in every franchise, but I could certainly see it happening in more than just one - especially those in smaller cities. So you could see the standins for the Packers doing it, and maybe the Duluth Penguins become the major professional Rugby team in Minnesota.

Right, you might get Cubs being being popular in minor cities without a team or rural areas, since WGN would likely play the same role of filling in smaller markets. When my grandma moved from Chicago to Asheville, but still got to watch every Cubs game thanks to WGN.

Also cross USA-CSA sports leagues might get interesting…
I’m not sure the cross-border integration for transnational sports leagues would quite be there (or with Canada, for that matter though to a lesser extent) but you’d probably see a fair amount of exhibitions.

Though I’m not particularly decided either way
Hopefully baseball stays in Milwaukee and permanently in this ATL without the teams moving away. Interestingly, a look at the history of baseball in the city shows that the most common name for teams during this era was the Brewers (no surprise there!) or the "Cream" (due to the city's nickname of the The Cream City)

When it comes to Rugby, it would be cool if more cities follow the Packers model of having the citizens of the city actually purchase the teams. I doubt this would happen in every franchise, but I could certainly see it happening in more than just one - especially those in smaller cities. So you could see the standins for the Packers doing it, and maybe the Duluth Penguins become the major professional Rugby team in Minnesota.
In my rough sports league notes I think I just gave Milwaukee a surviving Braves franchise though Brewers works just as well.

We’ll probably have something sort of like that, one of my ideas is to have American sports franchises be a bit more European in character. So something like how the Packers operate would make sense. Rugby, soccer and volleyball are where I can go a bit more wild with teams than baseball, so you sort of have ripples of familiar to the bizarre outwards in terms of sports leagues and teams

In terms of sports leagues, how is domestic and international cricket coming along TTL? OTL it was the major sport in Pennsylvania and had a decent following in the Northeast generally until the First World War (for reasons best known to themselves, when the world governing body for cricket was set up in 1909 it explicitly excluded all countries not in the British Empire) so it would be interesting to see if/how it could exist alongside baseball

I’m not sure the cross-border integration for transnational sports leagues would quite be there (or with Canada, for that matter though to a lesser extent) but you’d probably see a fair amount of exhibitions.

Though I’m not particularly decided either way

In my rough sports league notes I think I just gave Milwaukee a surviving Braves franchise though Brewers works just as well.

We’ll probably have something sort of like that, one of my ideas is to have American sports franchises be a bit more European in character. So something like how the Packers operate would make sense. Rugby, soccer and volleyball are where I can go a bit more wild with teams than baseball, so you sort of have ripples of familiar to the bizarre outwards in terms of sports leagues and teams
I was thinking international competitions would be more "European" in style. Something akin to the Six Nations Championship sees like a good structure for competitions.

I was thinking international competitions would be more "European" in style. Something akin to the Six Nations Championship sees like a good structure for competitions.
Yup. For instance, there’ll be a rugby World Cup of some kind eventually, but what Americans *actually* care about are the annual (or maybe semiannual) championships against the CSA, Canada, Arg, etc. Maybe the same setup for soccer, too, though I’m enamored with the pageantry/mythology of World Cups so that’d prob stay relatively the same
In terms of sports leagues, how is domestic and international cricket coming along TTL? OTL it was the major sport in Pennsylvania and had a decent following in the Northeast generally until the First World War (for reasons best known to themselves, when the world governing body for cricket was set up in 1909 it explicitly excluded all countries not in the British Empire) so it would be interesting to see if/how it could exist alongside baseball
Good q. I find cricket interminable, personally, so I don’t know much about it. It’s probably in that lacrosse/TTL basketball category of having a big local following, especially in Anglophile New England/Pennsylvania, but not really piercing the national imagination in the way the Big Four of rugby, soccer, baseball and volleyball do

The primary question is whether it is viewed as chance (easily butterflied) that the Big Four sports in the United States iOTL were either created in North America (Basketball) or changed beyond all recognition in North America (Hockey, Baseball & American Football).

The primary question is whether it is viewed as chance (easily butterflied) that the Big Four sports in the United States iOTL were either created in North America (Basketball) or changed beyond all recognition in North America (Hockey, Baseball & American Football).
My view is that it’s a bit of both, but of course YMMV

Query - is anyone familiar with why New Zealand didn't join Victoria and NSW in forming Australia? We're starting to come up on the point where an independent NZ PoD probably needs to happen, but I've never found any reasoning as to why it wasn't lumped in with the rest of the Oceania colonies when the Confederation of Australia occurred. What am I missing? (Yes, this means I'm leaning towards a combo Australia-NZ dominion)
Given Australian racial views that would be lffy for the Maori

Plus I'm pretty sure New Zealand were fine being their own separate country. They were actually invited to the Federation conference but declined
I admittedly definitely had to put my thumb on the scale (to the extent that everything I do isn't purely fiat - this is a work of fiction, after all) to make NZ part of Oz here

Part IX: Landfall

"...sense. Men who had regularly wintered in warmer southern climes, who had mountaineered and hunted in the resorts of the Great Smoky Mountains, and who did business with the cotton brokers and bankers of Canal Street could feel it. It was a subtle difference, but tangible, like the feeling of stickiness in the air before a thunderstorm. There was a different tone in the syrupy voices of the Confederates, from the aristocracy to the average man on the street, something in how they looked and moved. Few could have predicted that a calamity such as the one that awaited would strike when 1913 dawned, but for a generation on both sides of the Ohio, there was no doubt that something was afoot. William Hearst, in his famous final annual message to Congress, even directly alluded to this; after a robust recollection of his administration's substantial domestic record and a half-hearted congratulations to his successor, he then cautioned: "for in the sphere of relations between the great nations of the world, it must be remembered that disagreements may be natural and indeed healthy, but a disagreement requires an unreasonable man to become more. They must choose to seek that for which there is no logical reason; they must abandon ration to their passions. We must never forget that conflict is no mere accident - every race on our Earth is peaceful until it chooses otherwise, for while violence perhaps comes as naturally to man as the need to eat and breathe, it must still be repeated that war is a choice..."

- Bound for Bloodshed: The Road to the Great American War

I admittedly definitely had to put my thumb on the scale (to the extent that everything I do isn't purely fiat - this is a work of fiction, after all) to make NZ part of Oz here
I suppose it's not too much of a stretch that in this TL New Zealand decided to attend the Federation conference and were persuaded by Victoria and NSW to become part of Australia.

"...sense. Men who had regularly wintered in warmer southern climes, who had mountaineered and hunted in the resorts of the Great Smoky Mountains, and who did business with the cotton brokers and bankers of Canal Street could feel it. It was a subtle difference, but tangible, like the feeling of stickiness in the air before a thunderstorm. There was a different tone in the syrupy voices of the Confederates, from the aristocracy to the average man on the street, something in how they looked and moved. Few could have predicted that a calamity such as the one that awaited would strike when 1913 dawned, but for a generation on both sides of the Ohio, there was no doubt that something was afoot. William Hearst, in his famous final annual message to Congress, even directly alluded to this; after a robust recollection of his administration's substantial domestic record and a half-hearted congratulations to his successor, he then cautioned: "for in the sphere of relations between the great nations of the world, it must be remembered that disagreements may be natural and indeed healthy, but a disagreement requires an unreasonable man to become more. They must choose to seek that for which there is no logical reason; they must abandon ration to their passions. We must never forget that conflict is no mere accident - every race on our Earth is peaceful until it chooses otherwise, for while violence perhaps comes as naturally to man as the need to eat and breathe, it must still be repeated that war is a choice..."

And so, it begins. Can't wait for the carnage and absolute horror of it all.

Silver lining to the hundreds of thousands dead over the next few years is that the Southern arrogance that has permiated this timeline will be beaten out of them. So that's good at least.

Babylon 5....

Yes ...

Sorry; always nice to meet anotherB5 fan! This just transported me back to High School.

You know; this does kind of make me wonder what the impact of the War is going to have on the development of the Pulps and Science Fiction during the 1920s and 30s here. I could see the American Science Fiction which develops being a bit less optimistic than the type which developed in the US in OTL (sadly, my knowledge of European Science Fiction is lacking - I know Metropolis, but only the film and not the novel, though that IS on my short list; but I would imagine that much of what came out of France, Germany and Britain had been highly impacted by their experiences during the First World War, and we are likely to see something similar inthe US.)

Yes ...

Sorry; always nice to meet anotherB5 fan! This just transported me back to High School.

You know; this does kind of make me wonder what the impact of the War is going to have on the development of the Pulps and Science Fiction during the 1920s and 30s here. I could see the American Science Fiction which develops being a bit less optimistic than the type which developed in the US in OTL (sadly, my knowledge of European Science Fiction is lacking - I know Metropolis, but only the film and not the novel, though that IS on my short list; but I would imagine that much of what came out of France, Germany and Britain had been highly impacted by their experiences during the First World War, and we are likely to see something similar inthe US.)
Most obviously, a different Western Front could lead to a different/nonexistent LOTR, which in turn changes pretty much all of fantasy and a lot of SF

Status
Not open for further replies.