Burying the Hatchet: A Nintendo/Sega TL

I wonder what standards will Nintendo impose on future development projects. Here's something from OTL with Sega's attempt to reboot Golden Axe in 2008.

That's why we need more people coming forward about bad games, like bad movies they're a goldmine of comedy, If anything all of this is butterfly away, as Altered Beast Reboot ITTL sold far better and that was done internally, ITTL if there is a GA one would be Internal too or if Nintendo works with an external studio, Nintendo Vigilant Eye Wouldn't allow something like that.

Will the Sonic series still go through a dark era like OTL?
Shadow the Hedgehog is probably the lowest Sonic will sink ITTL and even then Shadow the Hedgehog is only critically panned while fan opinion ranges from good to mixed, it's not universally bad. 3D Sonic will be a "once every console generation" type of affair much like the 3D Mario games so quality will be assured. Especially since Sonic Team will also be busy with non-Sonic projects like a Phantasy Star Online for Wii, Puyo Puyo, and they're currently doing the bulk of Twilight Princess' development along with Nintendo EAD.

At the very least there will be no universally bad Sonic game like OTL Sonic 06.

Shadow the Hedgehog is probably the lowest Sonic will sink ITTL and even then Shadow the Hedgehog is only critically panned while fan opinion ranges from good to mixed, it's not universally bad. 3D Sonic will be a "once every console generation" type of affair much like the 3D Mario games so quality will be assured. Especially since Sonic Team will also be busy with non-Sonic projects like a Phantasy Star Online for Wii, Puyo Puyo, and they're currently doing the bulk of Twilight Princess' development along with Nintendo EAD.

At the very least there will be no universally bad Sonic game like OTL Sonic 06.
That is good to know, but in other news; the creators of John Wick have been tapped to create an film adaption of Streets of Rage. Is there any plans on Sega and Nintendo to make films in the early tens, GG?

That is good to know, but in other news; the creators of John Wick have been tapped to create an film adaption of Streets of Rage. Is there any plans on Sega and Nintendo to make films in the early tens, GG?
It Took OTL new 10's for Nintendo to even give a glance to film adaptation since the SMB failure, and the abortive attempts of Eternal Darkness and Metroid that ended in nothing too(and the rumour that Sony was working on a Star Fox movie that ended up being repurposed as Stealth but that's just an urban legend) . So here would remain the same. We need a big butterfly to make either Nintendo or Hollywood be interested in giving videogame some care than Uwe Bowl Moneylaundering Schemes. Could happen but with some justification.

The Jim Henson Company is doing a Star Fox Movie set for release in 2006. The future of Nintendo movies all hinges on Star Fox's Box office. At least in Hollywood that is. I doubt Nintendo would just sit around owning Sunrise Studio and not taking advantage of them.

Hell even the OTL 2023 Mario Movie is only happening because Miyamoto just happen to run into Chris Meledandri while at Universal Studios Japan and they seemed to hit it off really well.

The Jim Henson Company is doing a Star Fox Movie set for release in 2006. The future of Nintendo movies all hinges on Star Fox's Box office. At least in Hollywood that is. I doubt Nintendo would just sit around owning Sunrise Studio and not taking advantage of them.
Well that Confirm it, Nintendo is trusting and Betting on Henson and the fantastic star fox so wait to see how that unfold.

doubt Nintendo would just sit around owning Sunrise Studio and not taking advantage of them.
Yeah but Anime and anime cutscenes for games are not the same as a movie, even people forget that animal crossing got an animated movie too

Yeah but Anime and anime cutscenes for games are not the same as a movie, even people forget that animal crossing got an animated movie too
If you're talking about doing a live action adaption, then you're right. But as far as animated films go, Sunrise studio 2 (Char's counterattack), studio 5 (Inuyasha), studio 6 (Sgt . Frog) would be your best bet for an in-house adaption.

Will the Sonic series still go through a dark era like OTL?
I know Gaminguy already answered, but I've always been of the opinion that Nintendo is one of the few companies that could whip Sega into proper shape if they'd ever gotten the chance to purchase them back in the day when it would've actually been viable to do so. Granted, Nintendo produces clunkers themselves from time to time, but I think the drive to make good on their investment would've probably avoided much of Sonic's checkered history since the halcyon days of the Dreamcast (through my heavily biased, rose-tinted glasses, of course).

Love the timeline, though! Nintendo/Sega team-ups are always fun and it's one of the few things I can read about endlessly while not getting bored of the premise.

That said, I do wonder if Nintendo's expansion spree can continue for much longer ITTL. Sega was probably doable given the circumstances at the time, but I'm still imagining it was quite the tough pill to swallow; couple that with Monolith Soft, Rareware, and now Bandai I imagine that this quite the undertaking. DICE is probably still possible, but I imagine lawmakers could start scrutinizing the Big N a lot more once the ink is dried on the deal with Bandai.

I'm actually most curious how Sony is going to react to this given that the Japanese gaming industry largely seems to be a careful balancing act between several large companies that generally try not to step on each others' toes too much - or at least that's how it seems from outside observation. These might be perceived as very aggressive, threatening moves by them. They're still king when it comes to sales, but losing a ton of licensed anime and manga stuff might be hard to stomach.

Speaking of DICE: there's nothing ITTL that says they'd have to continue doing Battlefield all the time and I'd love to see more cross team collaboration on projects. But hear me out since the game was already brought up...

SQ_NSwitchDS_ValkyriaChronicles-3967610390.jpg

Just a potential spinoff, perhaps.

Last edited:
If you're talking about doing a live action adaption, then you're right. But as far as animated films go, Sunrise studio 2 (Char's counterattack), studio 5 (Inuyasha), studio 6 (Sgt . Frog) would be your best bet for an in-house adaption.
Yeah but would be like the animal crossing movie,a Japan only affair,maybe a direct to video in the west with some luck but we already got good news

Help that Sega knows the future hardware they will work on vs Sonic 06s development. Considering that they split the team to make Sonic and the Secret Rings when they learned that the Wii wasn't a HD-targeting console, there will be no issues here. Would also help if they didn't have a hard deadline to release the game if leadership doesn't need a game for the 15th anniversary.

I wonder how Nintendo/Sega will transition to the HD era. I expect much growing pains. Perhaps there will be work on forming a dedicated game engine team that will be used by both Nintendo and Sega?

And Yuji Naka better not dabble in insider trading. Stick to developing this timeline's Rodea the Sky Soldier.

Last edited:
And Yuji Naka better not dabble in insider trading. Stick to developing this timeline's Rodea the Sky Soldie
I wonder if he did genuinely got the info from the other two or just saw people selling and hop in.... still those weren't the news to end a Thursday.

wonder how Nintendo/Sega will transition to the HD era. I expect much growing pains. Perhaps there will be work on forming a dedicated game engine team that will be used by both Nintendo and Sega
There the hedgehog engine and Nintendo OTL didn't have more issues that lack of development teams.. something they solved now with Sega, Hudson and later on Bandai/Banpresto and maybe dice

I wonder if he did genuinely got the info from the other two or just saw people selling and hop in.... still those weren't the news to end a Thursday
It really doesnt matter, the japanese system will consider him guilty by default and even if he could prove his innocence(in this case he cant) he'd still be seen as a criminal by society
I wont enter in more details about this because it'd go in Modern Politics, but it can be summed up as him being a example made to pass a message, wheter he did it or not is irrelevant to the estabilishment

It really doesnt matter, the japanese system will consider him guilty by default and even if he could prove his innocence(in this case he cant) he'd still be seen as a criminal by society
I wont enter in more details about this because it'd go in Modern Politics, but it can be summed up as him being a example made to pass a message, wheter he did it or not is irrelevant to the estabilishment
if you want you can share more details in chat or via PM, now i got hooked over the situation, seems something interesting in the Chinese sense.

On the one hand, using Studio 5 for a Zelda or Fire Emblem cartoon would just rock.

On the other hand, going from Kermit the Frog to Sergeant Frog is quite an accomplishment for connections.

Let’s Play Baseball! / Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Baseball.png

Box Art
Mario SuperStar Baseball
Developer: Square Namco
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube
Release Date: September, 15 2005
Sonic Team DLC: November 2005
Pac-Man Team DLC: December 2005
Banjo Team DLC: January 2005​

Because Nintendo owns Rareware TTL Donkey Kong’s Team features more of the DK Crew. With Rare’s permission, Tiny Kong received a redesign by Nintendo leading to the creation of OTL’s Tiny Kong. The Game’s Instruction Book says she had a “growth spurt”.
The game has compatibility with Nintendo Netcast and offers downloadable content through Nintendo Netcast by using the Nintendo GameCube HDD. For 5.99 each you could download the Sonic Team, the Pac-Man Team, and the Banjo Team.

Team Captains
Mario (Charles Martinet) – Balanced
Luigi (Charles Martinet) – Balanced
Peach (Jen Taylor) – Technique
Daisy (Deanna Mustard) – Balanced
Wario (Charles Martinet) – Power
Waluigi (Charles Martinet) – Technique
Yoshi (Kazumi Totaka)– Speed
Birdo (Kazumi Totaka) – Balanced
Donkey Kong (Grant Kirkhope) – Power
Diddy Kong (Chris Sutherland) – Speed
Bowser (Scott Burns) – Power
Bowser Jr. (Dolores Rogers) – Power
Sonic Team DLC
Sonic (Ryan Drummond) – Speed
Tails (Connor Bringas) – Technique
Pac-Man Team DLC
Pac-Man – Balanced
Ms. Pac-Man – Technique
Banjo Team DLC
Banjo (Chris Sutherland) – Power
Kazooie (Chris Sutherland) – Speed

Full Cast of Minor Players
Toad – Balanced
Dixie Kong – Technique
Boo – Technique
Toadsworth – Technique
Baby Mario – Speed
Baby Luigi – Speed
Toadette – Speed
King Boo – Power
Shy Guy – Balanced
Goomba – Balanced
Koopa – Balanced
Lankey Kong – Technique
Magikoopa – Technique
Dry Bones – Technique
Tiny Kong – Speed
Monty Mole – Speed
Noki – Speed
Pianta – Power
Petey Piranha – Power
Hammer Bro – Power
Sonic Team DLC
Amy – Balanced
Rouge – Balanced
Dr. Eggman – Technique
Shadow - Speed
Cream – Speed
Knuckles – Power
Big the Cat – Power
Pac-Man Team DLC
Pinky – Balanced
Clyde – Technique
Blinky – Speed
Inky – Power
Banjo Team DLC
Mumbo – Balanced
Bottles – Balanced
Jamjars - Technique
Humba Wumba – Technique
Jinjo - Speed
Klungo – Power
Gruntilda – Power

Stadiums
Mario Stadium
Peach Garden
Wario Palace
Yoshi Park
Donkey Kong Jungle
Bowser Castle
Green Hill Zone (Sonic Team DLC)
Arcade Maze (Pac-Man Team DLC)
Click Clock Wood (Banjo Team DLC)

That's a good-sized roster ITTL. I especially like how there's a Pac-Man DLC pack to justify Square Namco's involvement.

But could we get a Sonic sports game where Sonic is the ball? That way, we can have him in the game and give light to the less famous Sonic characters.

Lofty idea, I know.