Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

My prediction for 1968,

View attachment 375641

Romney/Bush (R)
Humphrey/Glenn (D)
Wallace/Chandler (AC)

On paper Humphrey's path to an electoral college majority looks narrow. He would have difficulty against a pro-civil rights candidate like Romney given that both the South and much of the Midwest would be out of reach. Given the liberalism of the two major party candidates, Wallace and the American conservatives perform exceptionally well in the South, perhaps even preventing any candidate from achieving an electoral college majority (this would make for a very interesting plot twist).

On the other hand, Romney is an especially gaffe-prone candidate, and any idelogocally-driven splits in the GOP could yield dividends for the Democratic candidate.
I'm pretty sure Humphrey's gonna win. He only lost by a few percentage points IOTL, and that was with the albatross of Vietnam hanging around his neck. ITTL? He's successor to one of the most popular Presidents in recent memory, amid a booming economy. I could MAYBE see Wallace taking enough votes to split the College, if he's lucky. IF. Overall, I feel Humphrey's gonna win. However, i'm also betting now, he's only getting one term. Party fatigue has to take effect sometime, and the chaos of the latter part of the 60s isn't gonna be pretty.

BP Booker

Banned
Given the liberalism of the two major party candidates, Wallace and the American conservatives perform exceptionally well in the South, perhaps even preventing any candidate from achieving an electoral college majority

Then wouldnt the Democratic majority Congress go on to simply confirm the Democratic ticket? It might be tight on the House, but they do have a supermajority in the Senate

John Kennedy Toole wrote a novel called A Confederacy of Dunces.

Also, given that the South would be the base for the new Conservative Party, and that Segregation would be the number one reason for the formation of the party (no matter who they try to weasel out of it) it has a symbolic ring to it

My prediction for 1968,

View attachment 375641

Romney/Bush (R)
Humphrey/Glenn (D)
Wallace/Chandler (AC)

On paper Humphrey's path to an electoral college majority looks narrow. He would have difficulty against a pro-civil rights candidate like Romney given that both the South and much of the Midwest would be out of reach. Given the liberalism of the two major party candidates, Wallace and the American conservatives perform exceptionally well in the South, perhaps even preventing any candidate from achieving an electoral college majority (this would make for a very interesting plot twist).

On the other hand, Romney is an especially gaffe-prone candidate, and any idelogocally-driven splits in the GOP could yield dividends for the Democratic candidate.

Interesting prediction, President Zinn! :D I'm excited to take you guys through the election and how it'll play out :)

Chapter 30

Chapter 30: The Wind Changes - The King and the Man in Black Head to the White House

nkxZkQQjrB_ZQUzdVNCnuXNuG24L9Mdru-Rzp62Ac42LV2Pi-LxDsM-cBmOIlEabrZMfBVhzbkgH5NBVT0j0hhkARrR-ZZZpHpRe7ORLslBg_o0CXnEkvxPevRne1ZLUyHOEh4rp
yA4d71DnfsTCCxlFWkE34YeWTHWvw7FQ6Hyovk2NkhavMvDhhDM8w6sfLgBLfFQwssDEtP4sF1e6Pw9Kqzq2NsNbqA1uUU8q293ZsE2L6xghZj1wlCX8Dfd8zsaGpfRSDBDkVVuj

Above: In a highly publicized series of meetings, President Kennedy invites Elvis Presley, the King of Rock N Roll to the White House to discuss the possibility of working together on a program to help fight drug addiction among the nation’s youth (left). Country Music Star Johnny Cash gives a free concert to the public in the West Wing. After performing, he and President Kennedy meet to talk prison reform (right).

Returning home to the United States on the heels of his second ever European tour, and leaving opening act Buster and the Battery behind to continue their own development in London, Elvis Presley was feeling more invigorated about his career than he had since it had begun some thirteen years before at Sun Studios. Away from the cheesy Hollywood movies and the Colonel’s often dictatorial control over his every move, the King finally felt like he could flex his creative muscles a bit. The summer of love brought days full of new recording sessions in San Francisco with Chet Atkins and nights spent in marital bliss with Ann, who had earlier in the year accepted a series regular role in the third season hit ABC series Batman, starring in the role of Poison Ivy. The songs came to the King easily under the watchful eyes of Atkins and Chips Moman, another bigwig brought in from back home in Memphis to help Presley refine his sound. In addition to a fresh perspective and another set of ears, Moman brought with him three tunes which would go on to be some of the biggest hits of Elvis’ career: a ballad about a desperate boy in a poverty stricken city trying to survive through thievery, “In the Ghetto”; another, a tale of a lovestruck lad struggling to find his love, who has fled from him, “Kentucky Rain”; and of course, “Suspicious Minds”; a soul-infused Rock smash which would arguably become Presley’s signature song.

In addition to the millions of copies each of these singles would sell, they earned critical accolades for the King as well. Critics who had previously dismissed Presley as (according to Rolling Stone): “an aging Rock N Roller trying to recapture the energy of ten years ago”, now hailed him for “recognizing and joining the growing social awareness and responsibility that Rock music carries with it.” Critics and fans alike also praised the new tunes and the album they were released on, Elvis from San Francisco for its bold new sound. Elvis combined the raw energy of his prior work with the Gospel-influenced soul he felt deeply in his southern bones. The audio was bigger, stronger, and more lush than his previous work had been, but it felt like it was keeping with the times. The minimalist beats produced on the records released by Sam Phillips captured teenagers’ sexual angst and desire for rebellion in the 1950’s, but this new, more informed and mature style of music seemed the next logical step in Elvis’ progression as an artist, and matched the prosperity and good feelings encouraged by the prosperity and progress of the Kennedy years. The record’s innocence, its earnestness were distinctly Elvis and his fanbase ate it up in droves.

Not all was perfect for the King during the Summer of Love, however. Though his career had never been healthier, his own personal health was beginning to suffer under the constant pressure of touring and making new music. An addiction to “uppers” and “downers”, pills designed to give him energy and then help him sleep it off, an old carry over that had begun during his army days; was beginning to catch up with him. On the off chance that he was forced to be without the drugs for any amount of time, Presley would become agitated, irritable, and difficult to work with, retreating into himself for long periods of time. One such night occurred in August of 1967, shortly after the release of Elvis from San Francisco. The King was returning from a night about the city with Ann in his pink Cadillac, when Elvis realized he didn’t have his pills. They’d been left in the studio earlier that day and were now locked in. He wouldn’t be able to reach them until the doors were opened again at eight the next morning.

Ann would later recall that her husband began to sweat, shiver, and curse under his breath repeatedly. Perennially known for his shy, soft spoken demeanor and kindness, these behaviors seemed vastly out of place, and Ann tried to ask him what was wrong. She imagined it was the city itself starting to eat away at Elvis’ patience. Elvis Presley was by no means a square. The King ruled over a domain occupied by the most rebellious, raucous variety of music ever recorded. He had shared a joint with Paul McCartney and Ann in London during the Elvis/Beatles megatour two years before. Despite all of that however, he was, in his heart of hearts, still that shy farm boy from Tupelo, Mississippi. He didn’t begrudge the hippies their long hair, roman sandals, or loud music, but the idea of “free love” struck him as foreign and tragic. In the wild, psychedelic parties of Haight-Ashbury, Elvis felt isolated, lonely, and overwhelmed. That very August night, he and Ann had gone out to dinner and been interrupted on more than one occasion by hippie types, asking if he could tell them what it was like to play with Jimi Hendrix or George Harrison. Elvis was always gracious and humble, but Ann quietly wondered if this frustration was something her soul mate had been bottling up for a while, now.

“Elvis,” she said, hoping to get his attention. “Darling, what’s wrong?”

“What?” He snapped, turning his head toward her with fire and brimstone in his eyes.

“You look terrible.” His wife replied flatly, and reached out to touch his hand. “Honey, what’s going on? Why are you so upset?”

Elvis pulled his hand away and sighed heavily. In all his years, Elvis had never been one to admit weakness or defeat. His liking the pills was just a silly, nervous habit; like tapping feet or chewing fingernails. The Colonel had told him over and over that it was nothing to feel ashamed about, everyone in Hollywood took pills. Yet he couldn’t help but hate himself a little every time he opened one of the bottles and popped an upper or a downer. He’d read about what almost happened to Marilyn Monroe because of her addiction to pills. His good friend and Sun Records alumni Johnny Cash struggled with them too. “Your life’s being drained from ya by those pills, Elvis.” Cash had told him in a phone call earlier that year, to let him know that Cash was being checked into rehab by June Carter, who wouldn’t even think of marrying him until he got himself cleaned up. “I’m not calling to preach, I’m certainly in no position to judge. But I care about you, friend. Just figured I’d say my piece and wish you’d get some help.” Cash’s call had ended abruptly when Elvis muttered something about “being fine” and hung up the phone in a daze. Now though, sitting in the car with Ann and seeing the concern spreading hopelessly across her face, something inside of Elvis broke. The dam gave way.

“I need help, Ann.” He said, barely above a whisper as tears filled his eyes. “Good lord, I need help.”

Along with Cash, who managed to clean up his act and kick the habit over the course of the Summer of Love, Elvis checked himself into rehab shortly thereafter. With the support of his family, friends, and of course, Ann; the King managed to overcome his addictions, and was given a clean bill of health on November 11th, 1967. In the immediate, Ann and his friends thought it best for Elvis to take some time off to relax and regain his strength before returning to the road or studio again. It had been the stress of performing and producing that had turned him onto pills in the first place, after all. During that time, Elvis stayed at home in Graceland and watched a lot of the evening news.

Never a very political person, Elvis nonetheless couldn’t help but think and reflect when images of hippies and young people being arrested at parties, drugged out of their minds were beamed into his living room on the TV. The inspiring words of his pastor, and his recent therapy sessions still fresh in his mind, an idea happened upon Presley in the early winter weeks of 1967: maybe he could do something to help counter the growing trend of drug use among the nation’s young people. Using his immense personal wealth and connections within the entertainment industry, it didn’t take long for him to get a hold of Evelyn Lincoln, President Kennedy’s personal secretary. After some brief small talk, the King asked if she thought it at all possible that he could get a meeting with the President, even a very brief one. Lincoln responded that she could promise him nothing, but that she would bring the idea up to Kennedy the very next time she saw him. The King thanked her profusely, and stated his intentions should such a meeting be arranged: “I want to do what I can to help raise awareness of the dangers of prescription drug abuse, and was hoping that the President would have an idea about how I could do that.”

For his part, Kennedy was mostly ambivalent on the idea of meeting with Presley. He was walking with Ted and Bobby after they’d returned from a series of hearings on the Hill when Mrs. Lincoln brought the idea up to him, resulting in a furious storm of laughter from the three Kennedy brothers. “Who does he think I am,” The President laughed. “Ed Sullivan?” Lincoln scolded him for his dismissive attitude, reminding him that a concerned citizen, particularly a celebrity with the potential reach of Elvis Presley was a rare enough thing in this day and age, and ought to be encouraged, not derided. After making sure that his crowded schedule allowed time for a meeting, the President gave the idea his reluctant approval.

TtZ48mw30G2nFEFczC77MJJwAuuua25opYXWBYHN76eO-CAMLGZ8UHdzmyiDjeXsjyZAFv5TmxCruYZD4FotoX5DbnYZR2H88r2H-1258xJKav5mniz3wQ0VY5y3KDKC6I8KRNlG

The King and the President met for the first time in the Roosevelt Room for a one hour meeting on the afternoon of December 13th, 1967. Much more well spoken and intelligent than Kennedy initially would have given him credit for, Presley managed to leave something of a lasting impression on the President in the short time they spent together. Though Kennedy would not bring Presley aboard as some sort of “Youth Adviser” as Ted had jokingly suggested, the President would take the issue of licit and illicit drugs, and the potentially devastating effects of addiction into serious consideration for the rest of his administration. Later that month, Country music star Johnny Cash would perform with Elvis in the West Wing and meet with the President for a series of conferences to talk about the possibility of reforming the nation’s prison system, which Cash felt was overcrowded, inefficient, and not serving its true purpose to the American people: to reform and rehabilitate criminals, not just punish them.

The concert, which was recorded and released as a live album, would eventually go platinum. The proceeds from sales all went to various non for profits dedicated to achieving the reforms Cash and Presley sought.

Though some conservatives gave the President flak for inviting “Rock N Rollers” to the White House when there was “important business to be done”, the President shrugged off such criticisms by reminding the press that Franklin Delano Roosevelt had often met with important figures in the entertainment industry during World War II to discuss what they could do for the war effort. “Recall if you can,” the President said to his detractors. “My first inaugural address. I called upon the people of this great country to ask not what their country could do for them, but what they could do for their country. If Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash want to lend a hand, who are we to tell them not to?”

uAplKqCpFi4a7N64bMG6chnBC4Vn_mSaqZNhKiycmxy2e8EX2-OIPJYSB12DI_Pqr8xpS_i1JIjqEMfi8CZcKOwWpCZtFihbj4nCL98_l5aqRNR_wGpZ2D-x1QHCHXYDQR5ZysYE
jW18EDIJdA7F6Q0OX3qRjo5ScvYYb5hNfKEvNdqa-qZ0GJfhoRFYWLUQ-l5GyBsmCigelNIbW2FXUuZsxyzejRjGxdPkd-8P9q58bdtRWLp2AkuvHpQZUDnU1eHy5zZKLDUOSDEL
pAtDfPrDUhkTph5xP3cQc2ZR3WV5IHbEJENXf06Xt6J8j9BQYM-fiwvk380WoGkpcZ9LoJEonCyq6g7Slm7bxOfjvhFUmYCGZ1r6_LWOoqMLX2ltZGmOeGWdNi2IZ9i1RMBPfScO

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: A Look into the British-Rhodesian Conflict

Photo Credits for the edited images of Kennedy and Elvis to Hulkster'01 and Nerdman3000 respectively!

Last edited:
Another smashing update, @President_Lincoln!

Glad to see Elvis give up his drug addiction. Especially considering that it was the drugs that led to his death in '77. Seeing him get off will definitely increase his lifespan. Plus, I think he'll remember that it was Cash who called him and might have a new friend.

Interesting to see both of these musical stars perform in Kennedy's White House. IOTL, it was in Richard Nixon's presidency. Plus, with the talk of drugs and prison reform, perhaps Kennedy might try to follow these recommendations. After all, he did say, "...I called upon the people of this great country to ask not what their country could do for them, but what they could do for their country. If Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash want to lend a hand, who are we to tell them not to?”

Anyway, can't wait to see how the British-Rhodesian Conflict develops. How will the Liberal government back in Britain be able to handle it?

Another smashing update, @President_Lincoln!

Glad to see Elvis give up his drug addiction. Especially considering that it was the drugs that led to his death in '77. Seeing him get off will definitely increase his lifespan. Plus, I think he'll remember that it was Cash who called him and might have a new friend.

Interesting to see both of these musical stars perform in Kennedy's White House. IOTL, it was in Richard Nixon's presidency. Plus, with the talk of drugs and prison reform, perhaps Kennedy might try to follow these recommendations. After all, he did say, "...I called upon the people of this great country to ask not what their country could do for them, but what they could do for their country. If Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash want to lend a hand, who are we to tell them not to?”

Anyway, can't wait to see how the British-Rhodesian Conflict develops. How will the Liberal government back in Britain be able to handle it?

Thank you, as always ImperialTheorist! :D I'm really glad you enjoyed the update. :) Having Elvis get to live out a longer, hopefully happier life is something I've always wanted to explore in a Timeline, and as you say, barring any unforseen situations (Mwahahaha) he should get the chance to do that here.

Kennedy could still have a chance to pursue prison reform and a better drug policy. In general, he's certainly much more lax on both of those issues than the Nixon Administration of OTL.

As for Britain in Rhodesia, I'm happy to hear you're excited to hear about that! I'm thinking of covering this stage of the conflict in a Two Part special update, if that's alright with all of you. There's just a lot of depth there that I would like to cover. Wilson will definitely be trying to put Lester B. Pearson's plan in action, if possible:

1) Extradite Winston Field to the UK, get him to play ball and form a Pro-British, Pro-NIBMAR government.
2) Defeat Smith's forces by surrounding Salisbury with the help of local rebels, forcing Smith to surrender.
3) Profit.

The question will be whether or not everything goes according to plan, of course. Stay tuned ;)

Did Malcom X die on schedule in this TL? I don't remember you covering his assassination.

It was never the focus of a chapter or anything. I believe it was mentioned during one of the updates on the Civil Rights Movement from '65 - '66, but if not, I'll say here that Malcolm X was still assassinated as per OTL.

As for Britain in Rhodesia, I'm happy to hear you're excited to hear about that! I'm thinking of covering this stage of the conflict in a Two Part special update, if that's alright with all of you. There's just a lot of depth there that I would like to cover. Wilson will definitely be trying to put Lester B. Pearson's plan in action, if possible:

1) Extradite Winston Field to the UK, get him to play ball and form a Pro-British, Pro-NIBMAR government.
2) Defeat Smith's forces by surrounding Salisbury with the help of local rebels, forcing Smith to surrender.
3) Profit.

The question will be whether or not everything goes according to plan, of course. Stay tuned ;)

Sure! Take as long as you need to make it the best!