Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

He was a pretty bad racist at just the moment it became unacceptable to be that openly though.
Oh yeah the guy was fucking crazy, but he also said this back in the '50s about the Hola massacre:
Nor can we ourselves pick and choose where and in what parts of the world we shall use this or that kind of standard. We cannot say, "We will have African standards in Africa, Asian standards in Asia and perhaps British standards here at home". We have not that choice to make. We must be consistent with ourselves everywhere. All Government, all influence of man upon man, rests upon opinion. What we can do in Africa, where we still govern and where we no longer govern, depends upon the opinion which is entertained of the way in which this country acts and the way in which Englishmen act. We cannot, we dare not, in Africa of all places, fall below our own highest standards in the acceptance of responsibility.
now that might've been politically motivated (iirc he was in opposition at the time), but he seems to me to have been a megafan of ancient Greece and its political system, where every group has its own tribal lands and does their own thing as a nationalistic isolationist state.

Still completely disconnected from modern reality, but the thought processes behind his views were clearly more complicated than the popular image of him.

….what does any of this have to do with the timeline? Seriously, what does any of this has to do with a timeline where Kennedy lives?

….what does any of this have to do with the timeline? Seriously, what does any of this has to do with a timeline where Kennedy lives?
It's a long winded discussion related to a specific detail, and frankly I wish these folks would just to start PM each other about it because I don't want this debate to be what causes the thread to hit 500 pages and get locked.

Deleted member 145219

Fifty Nine years ago yesterday, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas Texas. To this day, the question of how Kennedy's Presidency would have turned out had he survived that fateful day remains one of the, if not the, biggest what if in American political history. Everyday Americans and Historians see this event as a major turning point in American History. Many speculate that had Kennedy survived, the disharmony of the mid to late 1960's would have been greatly reduced, if not avoided. The greatest matter of speculation is the Vietnam War. Consensus has never been reached on the matter of how Kennedy would have handled the Vietnam War. Some believe he would not have escalated the conflict, while others believe he would be Americanized the war. And to a lesser extent, domestic legislation passed by President Johnson. Whether Kennedy could have passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights act through Congress is the big question. Would Kennedy have pursued a War on Poverty is another. There's also the dark side to the Kennedy Presidency. President Kennedy's health was precarious and his marraige plagued by affairs. Something that was not reported on by the press. Yet in the final months of Kennedy's life, it's been reported that his health was better than it had been in years and his marraige to Jackie had become closer, that he had actually stopped his womanizing.

This question, of what if Kennedy lived, was the first real Alternate History, that I really got interested in. It's my view, that Kennedy, at the time of his death, was on the way to becoming not only a great President, but a much better man than he had been.

Hello, I just came back to AHF after a lengthy hiatus last week and discovered this thread... and I'm totally hooked! It's like a novel I can't put down, or a binge-watchable Netflix series. Even though I'm fairly conservative and not a huge fan of the Kennedys, I can't help but be fascinated by the idea of JFK as an aging elder statesman. Hope to see more.

I do have one question that doesn't seem to have been answered on this thread: what happened to the baby Sharon Tate was pregnant with at the time of the Manson murders? If she didn't die ITTL, her son (it was a boy) would presumably also have lived, and would be about 4 or 5 years old when she divorced Roman Polanski and married Ted Kennedy ITTL. So Ted and Sharon would have had quite the blended family - her son, his kids with Joan and the twins they have together. Just curious about that.

Hello, I just came back to AHF after a lengthy hiatus last week and discovered this thread... and I'm totally hooked! It's like a novel I can't put down, or a binge-watchable Netflix series. Even though I'm fairly conservative and not a huge fan of the Kennedys, I can't help but be fascinated by the idea of JFK as an aging elder statesman. Hope to see more.

I do have one question that doesn't seem to have been answered on this thread: what happened to the baby Sharon Tate was pregnant with at the time of the Manson murders? If she didn't die ITTL, her son (it was a boy) would presumably also have lived, and would be about 4 or 5 years old when she divorced Roman Polanski and married Ted Kennedy ITTL. So Ted and Sharon would have had quite the blended family - her son, his kids with Joan and the twins they have together. Just curious about that.

Hello! Welcome to the thread. :)

Thank you so much for your kind words! It means the world to me to know that this timeline interests and entertains you.

As to your question, your response to the situation is accurate. Following Tate's divorce from Polanski, she and her son joined with Senator Kennedy's family. Ted's kids split time between staying with their father and mother. But overall, Ted & Sharon do what they can to make all the stepchildren feel like part of one big family.

Chapter 119
Chapter 119: Take a Chance on Me - The 1978 Midterm Elections
V95hV1IFuXkafJP330eLifRv4h8j4XiIB0n33gcGgNyRk_i9z2fe6-NNhcogb0CcDoIpcRSptHfl83B-ST9j7KAvcz_EWWFM4EjE1rngli1ymORfkCwzMOEvJDn4uxztUGin9ZfhyrpY7MfiOQwnrK1P8odRrvLeRjLkgykDId2etiEBFjFiEH7MA2eMQQ
iIuvRQfxTFzPCJugJZiAlO2xD_8Bpyr1Csm3rOBmAZFc4KCnZJo_HdMqTebgGJmxa10lIA0sGvuxIGGGGPRziKGUf45YmUXIhOrOCN2dr4Vtm0tCvjUV-HlkuSHjY59MBr5DlVZfM3ULq9DhB6jYKdYYW1iQmk1lTJItD5Ow71PeWvK-phBvk8d_IKVoQQ
5p7uI5xmE2W8PF-VmlszxFCOpyWbTGwfrx5aXwVAVT8luW1TSs9Dd5cijmen7Nku5HZOAjHtBMO6dRRv82E1g0y_ym2zz49Pr8tmQCWCac74VEGAvWUJic3ufvv5G0z280U7LiaIiYfVyWShstiR6SffA3BIgimUDfB5JcYKy0aEqKDTDtji560sBNsCBA
Above: Senators-Elect William Cohen (R - ME) and David Durenberger (R - MN); and Governor-Elect Dick Thornburgh (R - PA). These men represented a resurgent moderate to liberal “Romney-ite” wing of the Republican Party.

“If you change your mind, I’m the first in line
Honey, I’m still free; take a chance on me
If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
If you’ve got no place to go when you’re feeling down”
- ABBA, “Take a Chance on Me”

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

“The ability to change one’s views without losing one’s seat is the mark of a great politician.” - Mo Udall

The 1978 United States elections posed, as midterm elections often do, a powerful opportunity to the party not presently in power. In this case, the Republicans.

Exiled from the White House by the smiling Arizona cowboy two years prior, the Grand Old Party then spent the first half of Mo Udall’s term plotting their next move, politically. The 38th President was certainly liberal. His personal views on social issues from abortion to capital punishment to gay liberation were certainly far ahead of most everyday Americans. But the Udall administration had also done little in terms of direct policy to advance that agenda. Doe v. Bolton made abortion a mute point, for the time being at least. Capital punishment being an issue left to the states was “settled law” in the President’s own words. And LGBT+ issues were largely relegated to certain localities, namely the coastal enclaves of New York and San Francisco.
The broad thrust of Udall’s efforts - energy and fiscal policy - enjoyed widespread appeal. Polls consistently showed that Americans trusted Udall to get the nation on the path to energy independence. MoCare, the President’s much-touted universal healthcare program, was being rolled out to much fanfare. His efforts on behalf of miners and other labor unions brought him strong blue-collar support in the midwest. And his environmental achievements and dovish foreign policy appealed to the youth and intelligentsia. Though inflation remained high, which cost him the support of suburbanites and some independents, the fact of the matter was clear: President Udall was popular.

Thus, with a direct attack on the administration unlikely to play well heading into the midterms, the GOP needed to develop a different strategy.

They began by looking inward and doing some soul-searching. As their party’s first President once pointed out, “A house divided against itself cannot stand”. For years, the Republicans had allowed the divisions in their party to deepen, wounds given and received to fester into resentments, even grudges. The age-old divide within the party between liberals and conservatives continued to foment conflict. Even William F. Buckley, that stalwart of the New Right, lamented in an editorial, “We [Republicans] cannot effectively exploit their [Democrats] division at present. We need to unify…”

Unity was certainly a logical goal for the GOP, but achieving it would prove difficult. Before a coherent campaign message could be composed and delivered, a consensus needed to be reached within the party on a number of issues. To do that, party leaders and strategists decided that they needed to begin by identifying which issues the rank and file could agree on. As it happened, there were a number of these.

Inflation, which had peaked at nearly 12% in 1974, had fallen to 7.6% by 1978. By all accounts, the appointment of Paul Vocker to the Chairmanship of the Federal Reserve by President Bush had been a success. Though high interest rates hurt aggregate demand, and probably led to slower economic recovery, President Udall reaffirmed his commitment to “whipping inflation”. Volcker, and his policies, remained. That said, the Iranian Revolution and its aftermath, as well as other conflicts in the Middle East kept oil prices, and thus gas prices, high. For all the President’s efforts toward energy independence, most were long-term solutions. In the short term, Americans were feeling the pinch in their pocket books.

Whether they blamed the still-high inflation rate on excessive government spending or on inadequate supplies of goods and services, virtually all Republicans agreed that curbing inflation could be a winning issue for them. They took that ball and ran with it.

There was also broad agreement in the party to fight “corruption” and “inefficiency” in government. Even liberals of the GOP’s Romney-ite wing agreed that the “excesses” of the last two decades needed to be reined in. Criminality. Deceit. Graft. These stood in the way of good, honest government. There it was again. “Good government”, that old adage of President Romney. New York City’s near brush with bankruptcy, mirrored in so many municipalities nationwide, brought this issue to the forefront.

Much to the delight of Buckley and his allies, positions that were once seen as more conservative drifted into the Republican mainstream throughout this election cycle. For one thing, cutting taxes, not just on lower and middle income brackets, but across the board, became more popular. Many GOP candidates, especially for the House of Representatives, argued that taxes on the nation’s “producers” - big business and industry - had been kept too high for too long. They argued that if this tax burden were reduced, then prices for consumers could begin to fall as well.

Likewise, strategists like Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, and a young Lee Atwater, men who had been involved in Phyllis Schlafley’s primary challenge of President Bush, continued to hone their craft. They perfected a new type of campaign for the candidates they managed - sharp, edgy, and emotional - targeting “wedge-issues” such as mandatory school busing, abortion, and gun rights. Though Schlafley’s campaign to steal the nomination from a sitting President in ‘76 had likely been doomed from the start, the tactics that her campaign pioneered were, unfortunately, proving effective in more competitive races.

Though the national party continued to oppose open race-baiting and other tactics to court Southern voters, many Republican candidates took it upon themselves to adopt “soft” versions of this strategy anyway. “Law and order” rhetoric continued to play well as the national crime rate remained high. Thus, the Republicans found their issues for 1978: inflation; corruption; tax cuts; law and order.

d-saT4LZdn1CGyd_DsJNYyMkrq18UZGfv2atmB4kyDUX5OEK8CUEp3aGO_bS6xisljiXRU4MsDFW2QF16UIJduD764LG-VYdq5YNrOJh-Io9iUmQj4CPY_bLNLR6ZCImY6qeVZyDZCddAw7knekG03CkxEgl9Kj_-dV9GUUhdPdpt2KwviKIqVGolKWPJg

Despite calls from those on the communitarian wing of the Democratic Party to moderate his rhetoric and positions, President Udall largely stuck to his progressive ideals during his first two years in office. Again, this made him popular with the party base, but it also made him vulnerable with independents and moderates.

Republicans did not attack the President, but they did highlight and campaign against his less popular programs in an attempt to court those groups. They made attack ads asking whether the nation could afford “eskimo poetry” (quoting former Vice President Reagan) with the cost of living at an all-time high. They questioned, in the aftermath of the SALT II treaty being defeated in the Senate, if the President could continue to be seen as a strong leader, capable of passing important legislation.

While President Udall remained an enthusiastic defender of both his record and his policies, not everyone in his party was happy to do the same. Members of the aforementioned communitarian wing, including Senator Joe Biden (D - DE) who faced reelection that year, worked to distance themselves from the President, striking a more moderate tone, and calling for “bipartisan” solutions to issues like inflation and unemployment. Communitarians likewise held more sway throughout the south and west. In states like Georgia, Texas, and Mississippi, Democratic candidates asked the President to either soften his rhetoric, or to not appear on their behalf, sending other surrogates like the Vice President, Lloyd Bentsen, instead. Udall acquiesced, focusing his stump speeches on his labor record and the environment.

On the bright side for Democrats, in most of the country, the President’s approval rating remained high. Gallup polls done a month before the midterms showed his numbers steady at about 52%, with only 41% disapproval. In Mo’s mind, that left the other 7%, the “undecideds” as people he could convince. Welcomed in most places, Udall campaigned vigorously on behalf of his fellow Democrats, and urged the American people to give him the votes he needed to fulfill the other pledges he had made to them two years prior.

The results were, strangely, encouraging for both parties.

The Senate of the 96th US Congress
Democrats (Majority) - 57 (+1)
Republicans (Minority) - 43 (-1)

Alabama
John J. Sparkman (D)
James B. Allen (D)

Alaska
Theodore F. Stevens (R) - Reelected over Donald Hobbs. R Hold.
Frank Murkowski (R)

Arizona
Barry Goldwater (R)
Dennis DeConcini (D)

Arkansas
Dale Bumpers (D)
David Pryor (D) - Succeeded retiring incumbent McClellan. D Hold.

California
John V. Tunney (D)
Shirley Temple Black (R)

Colorado
Gary Hart (D)
William L. Armstrong (R) - Defeated incumbent Haskell. R Gain.

Connecticut
Abraham A. Ribicoff (D)
Lowell P. Weicker, Jr. (R)

Delaware
Joseph Biden (D) - Easily reelected. D Hold.
Thomas Maloney (D)

Florida
Lawton Chiles (D)
Jack Eckerd (R)

Georgia
Sam Nunn (D) - Reelected over John W. Stokes. D Hold.
James Earl Carter (D)

Hawaii
Daniel K. Inouye (D)
Spark Matsunaga (D)

Idaho
Frank F. Church (D)
James A. McClure (R) - Reelected. R Hold.

Illinois
Charles H. Percy (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Donald Rumsfeld (R)

Indiana
Richard Lugar (R)
Edgar Whitcomb (R)

Iowa
Jack R. Miller (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
David M. Stanley (R)

Kansas
Bob Dole (R)
Nancy Kassebaum (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Pearson. R Hold.

Kentucky
Walter B. Huddleston (D) - Reelected. D Hold.
Wendell Ford (D)

Louisiana
Russell B. Long (D)
John McKeithen (D) - Reelected. D Hold.

Maine
Edmund Muskie (D)
William Cohen (R) - Defeated incumbent Hathaway. R Gain.

Maryland
Charles Mathias (R) - Replaced Agnew, who resigned amid Scandal in 1977.
Paul Sarbanes (D)

Massachusetts
Edward M. Kennedy (D)
Paul Tsongas (D) - Defeated incumbent Conte. D Gain.

Michigan
Robert P. Griffin (R) - Reelected over Carl Levin. R Hold.
Donald Riegle (D)

Minnesota
Walter Mondale (D) - Reelected in regular Senate election. D Hold.
David Durenberger (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Stassen. R Hold.

Mississippi
John C. Stennis (D)
Charles Evers (D) - Elected to fill retiring incumbent Eastlund. D Hold.

Missouri
Thomas F. Eagleton (D)
Jerry Litton (D)

Montana
Jack Melcher (D)
Max Baucus (D) - Defeated incumbent Hibbard. D Gain.

Nebraska
Edward Zorinsky (D)
J. James Exon (D) succeeded retiring incumbent Curtis. D Gain.

Nevada
Howard W. Cannon (D)
Paul Laxalt (R)

New Hampshire
Louis Wyman (R)
Gordon J. Humphrey (R) defeats incumbent McIntyre. R Gain.

New Jersey
Harrison A. Williams Jr. (D)
Bill Bradley (D) - defeated incumbent Case. D Gain.

New Mexico
Pete Domenici (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Harrison Schmitt (R)

New York
Robert F. Kennedy (D)
Ramsey Clark (D)

North Carolina
J. Terry Sanford (D)
Jesse Helms (R) - Reelected. R Hold.

North Dakota
Milton R. Young (R)
Quentin M. Burdick (D)

Ohio
John Glenn (D)
Robert Taft, Jr. (R)

Oklahoma
Henry Bollman (R)
David Boren (D) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Bartlett. D Gain.

Oregon
Mark O. Hatfield (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Bob Packwood (R)

Pennsylvania
Richard Schweiker (R)
William J. Green III (D)

Rhode Island
John Chafee (R)
Claiborne Pell (D) - Reelected. D Hold.

South Carolina
Strom Thurmond (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Ernest Hollings (D)

South Dakota
Leo Thorsness (R)
Larry Pressler (R) succeeds retiring incumbent Abourezk. R Gain.

Tennessee
Howard H. Baker, Jr. (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
James Sasser (D)

Texas
Audie Murphy (D)
John Tower (R) - Succeeds retiring incumbent Sanders. R Gain.

Utah
Jake Garn (R)
Orrin Hatch (R)

Vermont
Richard W. Mallary (R)
Patrick Leahy (D)

Virginia
Harry F. Byrd, Jr. (D)
John Warner (R) succeeds retiring incumbent Scott. R Hold.

Washington
Warren G. Magnuson (D)
Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (D)

West Virginia
Jennings Randolph (D)
Robert C. Byrd (D)

Wisconsin
William Proxmire (D)
Gaylord A. Nelson (D)

Wyoming
Gale McGee (D)
Alan K. Simpson (R) succeeded retiring incumbent Hansen. R Hold.

JH005BZ5GtHddmGeyvXlZ-Fnjf-rCKpRUWtjfevlUQi2wEa-uVmK64bNAHF6ZgMQwpx1wdF-Xwpn8Z1sUMtkCggLW7MqBLKqA-UxJHoBaCqvGdPteUjWUrafuudP8rGjmZItpKjI4_pH9iu-iuty36KRBarQ7_YYLtUEFgxue0NUgtJbAeUsaqgjHawByA

Senate Leadership:

Senate Majority Leader
: Russell B. Long (D - LA)
Senate Majority Whip: Edward M. Kennedy (D - MA)

Senate Minority Leader: Howard Baker (R - TN)
Senate Minority Whip: Donald Rumsfeld (R - IL)

The House of Representatives:

Democrats: 246 (-14)
Republicans: 189 (+14)

House Leadership:

Speaker of the House:
Tip O’Neill (D - MA)
House Majority Leader: Patsy Mink (D - HI)
House Majority Whip: Jim Wright (D - TX)

House Minority Leader: Gerald R. Ford (R - MI)
House Minority Whip: John B. Anderson (R - IL)

Gubernatorial Races:

Alabama - Fob James (D), succeeded term limited incumbent Wallace. D Hold.
Alaska - Jay Hammond (R), reelected. R Hold.
Arizona - Evan Meachem (R), reelected. R Hold.
Arkansas - Joe Percell (D), succeeded retiring incumbent Pryor. D Hold.
California - Jerry Brown (D), succeeded retiring incumbent Roosevelt. D Hold.
Colorado - Richard Lamm (D), reelected. D Hold.
Connecticut - Ella T. Grasso (D), reelected. D Hold.
Florida - Bob Graham (D), succeeded term-limited Askew. D Hold.
Georgia - George Busbee (D), reelected. D Hold.
Hawaii - George Ariyoshi (D), reelected. D Hold.
Idaho - John V. Evans (D), reelected. D Hold.
Illinois - James R. Thompson (R), reelected. R Hold.
Iowa - Robert D. Ray (R), reelected. R Hold.
Kansas - John Carlin (D), defeated incumbent Bennett. D Gain.
Maine - Joseph E. Brennan (D), succeeded incumbent Longley. D Gain.
Maryland - Harry Hughes (D), succeeded incumbent Mandel. D Hold.
Massachusetts - Michael Dukakis (D), reelected. D Hold.
Michigan - William Milliken (R), reelected. R Hold.
Minnesota - Rudy Perpich (DFL), reelected. D Hold.
Nebraska - Charles Thone (R), succeeded incumbent Exon. R Gain.
Nevada - Robert List (R), succeeded incumbent O'Callaghan. R Gain.
New Hampshire - Hugh Gallen (D), defeated incumbent Thomson. D Gain.
New Mexico - Bruce King (D), succeeded incumbent Apodaca. D Hold.
New York - Hugh Carey (D), reelected. D Hold
Ohio - Dick Celeste (D), defeated incumbent Rhodes. D Gain.
Oklahoma - George Nigh (D), succeeded term limited incumbent Boren. D Hold.
Oregon - Victor Atiyeh (R), defeated incumbent Straub. R Gain.
Pennsylvania - Dick Thornburgh (R) defeated incumbent Schapp. R Gain.
Rhode Island - John Garrahy (D), reelected. D Hold.
South Carolina - Richard Riley (D), succeeded two-term incumbent Edwards. D Gain.
South Dakota - Bill Janklow (R), defeated Democratic candidate McKellips. R Gain.
Tennessee - Lamar Alexander (R), succeeded retiring incumbent Blanton. R Gain.
Texas - Dolph Briscoe (D), reelected. D Hold.
Vermont - Richard Smelling (R), reelected. R Hold.
Wisconsin - Martin J. Schreiber (D), reelected. D Hold.
Wyoming - John C. Ostland (R), defeated incumbent Herschler. R Gain.

In the end, Democrats maintained their control of both chambers of Congress. Their loss of only fourteen seats to the GOP in the House meant that Speaker Tip O’Neill (D - MA) would still have plenty of wiggle room when it came to getting legislation passed. In the Senate, Majority Leader Russell B. Long (D - LA) actually made a net gain of one seat! President Udall and his allies celebrated the results as an affirmation of the American people’s trust in them. There may have been some slowdown to “Mo-mentum”, but the President was poised to make a strong comeback in the second half of his first term.

Republicans, though disappointed somewhat by the margins, were modestly pleased too. Their efforts to unite the party behind a single coherent ideology had borne fruit, and would continue to do so. Party leaders and strategists were already looking ahead to 1980. With former Vice President Ronald Reagan (R - CA) as the all-but unspoken frontrunner for the nomination, the party did a fine job laying the groundwork for a united party and ensuring the Gipper’s victory. Though moderate candidates put up the strongest performances of the night for the GOP, the overall mood of the party had shifted to the right, especially on economic issues. This helped them draw a sharp contrast to the President and his party. Unless the political situation changed dramatically before 1980, the Republican campaign for the White House would once again be centered on: inflation; corruption; tax cuts; and law and order.

LhecZeC-qbyl_eyVdJIufIaxRcsZRwqeTB0MBx0psw3uaP8s5J_xOMP6gSepQG7EPmFr2EvcCq3647NVBbteW7uVXbO701XZEEI64e35O6nU6S7Vy4l8kpfOwHN2EKw2BKfKyZZDEsQj9ZFk_eUbdYLkgjZb5cztXkU6RAAC_NhRlYHaJ1ZzU4ZUygQWJQ
B0e7W1yFw3GHY6n0CGNDSmtthIPqt8PwT30Q5HP_3q3cQrGLzdS1kR1sisNEHrDxXcFToMxmOuZ4QLyxTwUEUPpqdgRlGH7DhCcyTvoqcicWob-jkC5YCMn0cwdGDHufbOQ_iQb6om_tW-D6HrWAm8gkmuo3eTMILtBr_x1E9s451ZgcW-fLUvE1r_BVLA
Above: President Mo Udall (D - AZ) and Former Vice President Ronald Reagan (R - CA), arguably the two most popular and influential politicians in the United States in the aftermath of the 1978 Midterm Elections. Both the national press and American people eagerly awaited an anticipated showdown between “the two wittiest men in politics” in the 1980 Presidential Election.

Notable Races

In Pennsylvania, where more than sixty members of Democratic Governor Milton Schapp’s administration had been indicted on corruption charges, moderate Republican Dick Thornburgh made tremendous headway by promising to put a stop to the misconduct. Thornburgh had previously built his reputation as a U.S. Attorney, appointed by President Romney back in 1971. In that position, Thornburgh fought organized crime and later successfully took Pittsburgh steel companies to court for polluting the state’s rivers. With running mate Bill Scranton (himself a son of a former PA governor) at his side, Thornburgh easily defeated Schapp in his reelection bid. Thornburgh’s victory was just one of many for moderate Republicans in ‘78.

In Maine, two-term congressman William Cohen would go on to defeat Democratic incumbent William Hathaway for his U.S. Senate seat. Cohen’s time in the House of Representatives earned him a reputation as a moderate Republican, with liberal views on social issues, and as a “maverick” with the ability to fashion compromise out of discord. Only 38 years old at the time, Cohen was quickly pegged as a possible “rising star” in the GOP after his victory.

Perhaps the most historic victory of the night went to Charles Evers, a 56 year old African-American Civil Rights activist, businessman, and World War II vet, who narrowly won election, as a communitarian Democrat, to the U.S. Senate seat for Mississippi that had, for decades, been occupied by segregationist James Eastlund. Elder brother of the slain activist Medgar Evers, Charles thereafter served as field director of the NAACP in Mississippi. Though his campaign against conservative Republican Thad Cochran was viewed as a “long shot” by the national party, Evers’ devoted followers pushed him over the finish line, making him the first black Senator from Mississippi since Hiram Revels more than a century before. After Republican Edward Brooke, Evers was also the second African-American to be popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, and the first black Democrat.

iu9ctFbO732N3Wv4IeRAW9umrNoSk5rPryGoutc7IZETt9LVMwP1gu0S8GmAjHnyWCs1FjqAu8uyqeXj4BXCXnax5HxIdsarBOi1LUv1sn3iOzKpZWZjt9inVMC03lAIQl2w-Lf3vNIxW-un8h6xFlK8RcVMB49dRGkBlmPobsmkFHajydxOk1PhOIuqNw

Senator-Elect Charles Evers (D - MS)

Also winning reelection to their various offices were Congressman Dick Cheney (R - WY) and Maryland House of Delegates member Hillary Rodham Bush (R - MD). Cheney has been forging alliances with his former boss, Senator Donald Rumsfeld (R - IL), while Mrs. Rodham Bush has been developing her experience as a practical law maker. Her husband, George Walker Bush, in addition to his work at Lockheed Martin, volunteers with veterans’ advocacy groups.

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: The Golden Age of Terror Continues

Oh my god gosh it’s back once again, and so much has happened and changed since then during and in between all of that time. It’s good to see you back once again with your wonderful, optimistic, and hopeful little timeline Mr. President.

LhecZeC-qbyl_eyVdJIufIaxRcsZRwqeTB0MBx0psw3uaP8s5J_xOMP6gSepQG7EPmFr2EvcCq3647NVBbteW7uVXbO701XZEEI64e35O6nU6S7Vy4l8kpfOwHN2EKw2BKfKyZZDEsQj9ZFk_eUbdYLkgjZb5cztXkU6RAAC_NhRlYHaJ1ZzU4ZUygQWJQ
B0e7W1yFw3GHY6n0CGNDSmtthIPqt8PwT30Q5HP_3q3cQrGLzdS1kR1sisNEHrDxXcFToMxmOuZ4QLyxTwUEUPpqdgRlGH7DhCcyTvoqcicWob-jkC5YCMn0cwdGDHufbOQ_iQb6om_tW-D6HrWAm8gkmuo3eTMILtBr_x1E9s451ZgcW-fLUvE1r_BVLA
Above: President Mo Udall (D - AZ) and Former Vice President Ronald Reagan (R - CA), arguably the two most popular and influential politicians in the United States in the aftermath of the 1978 Midterm Elections. Both the national press and American people eagerly awaited an anticipated showdown between “the two wittiest men in politics” in the 1980 Presidential Election.
Omg holy crap, this sounds like an amazing election idea.

Well done update. Very impressive midterms, and, nice to see this back.

Oh my god gosh it’s back once again, and so much has happened and changed since then during and in between all of that time. It’s good to see you back once again with your wonderful, optimistic, and hopeful little timeline Mr. President.

Omg holy crap, this sounds like an amazing election idea.
Thank you very much! :D It's great to be back.

Love the chapter, as per usual.

Though, much as I love seeing Evers, isn't he a Republican?
Thank you! :)

Per Evers' Wikipedia page, he has a bit of a mixed record politically IOTL. There, he's listed as having been a Democrat before 1969, an independent between 1969 - 1978, and a Republican after that. Some of his party switches were to attempt to play local politics with different groups in Mississippi. ITTL, he joins the socially conservative, "Communitarian" wing of the Democratic Party to have a shot at viability in TTL's southern political climate.

Chapter 119: Take a Chance on Me - The 1978 Midterm Elections
V95hV1IFuXkafJP330eLifRv4h8j4XiIB0n33gcGgNyRk_i9z2fe6-NNhcogb0CcDoIpcRSptHfl83B-ST9j7KAvcz_EWWFM4EjE1rngli1ymORfkCwzMOEvJDn4uxztUGin9ZfhyrpY7MfiOQwnrK1P8odRrvLeRjLkgykDId2etiEBFjFiEH7MA2eMQQ
iIuvRQfxTFzPCJugJZiAlO2xD_8Bpyr1Csm3rOBmAZFc4KCnZJo_HdMqTebgGJmxa10lIA0sGvuxIGGGGPRziKGUf45YmUXIhOrOCN2dr4Vtm0tCvjUV-HlkuSHjY59MBr5DlVZfM3ULq9DhB6jYKdYYW1iQmk1lTJItD5Ow71PeWvK-phBvk8d_IKVoQQ
5p7uI5xmE2W8PF-VmlszxFCOpyWbTGwfrx5aXwVAVT8luW1TSs9Dd5cijmen7Nku5HZOAjHtBMO6dRRv82E1g0y_ym2zz49Pr8tmQCWCac74VEGAvWUJic3ufvv5G0z280U7LiaIiYfVyWShstiR6SffA3BIgimUDfB5JcYKy0aEqKDTDtji560sBNsCBA
Above: Senators-Elect William Cohen (R - ME) and David Durenberger (R - MN); and Governor-Elect Dick Thornburgh (R - PA). These men represented a resurgent moderate to liberal “Romney-ite” wing of the Republican Party.

“If you change your mind, I’m the first in line
Honey, I’m still free; take a chance on me
If you need me, let me know, gonna be around
If you’ve got no place to go when you’re feeling down”
- ABBA, “Take a Chance on Me”

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

“The ability to change one’s views without losing one’s seat is the mark of a great politician.” - Mo Udall

The 1978 United States elections posed, as midterm elections often do, a powerful opportunity to the party not presently in power. In this case, the Republicans.

Exiled from the White House by the smiling Arizona cowboy two years prior, the Grand Old Party then spent the first half of Mo Udall’s term plotting their next move, politically. The 38th President was certainly liberal. His personal views on social issues from abortion to capital punishment to gay liberation were certainly far ahead of most everyday Americans. But the Udall administration had also done little in terms of direct policy to advance that agenda. Doe v. Bolton made abortion a mute point, for the time being at least. Capital punishment being an issue left to the states was “settled law” in the President’s own words. And LGBT+ issues were largely relegated to certain localities, namely the coastal enclaves of New York and San Francisco.
The broad thrust of Udall’s efforts - energy and fiscal policy - enjoyed widespread appeal. Polls consistently showed that Americans trusted Udall to get the nation on the path to energy independence. MoCare, the President’s much-touted universal healthcare program, was being rolled out to much fanfare. His efforts on behalf of miners and other labor unions brought him strong blue-collar support in the midwest. And his environmental achievements and dovish foreign policy appealed to the youth and intelligentsia. Though inflation remained high, which cost him the support of suburbanites and some independents, the fact of the matter was clear: President Udall was popular.

Thus, with a direct attack on the administration unlikely to play well heading into the midterms, the GOP needed to develop a different strategy.

They began by looking inward and doing some soul-searching. As their party’s first President once pointed out, “A house divided against itself cannot stand”. For years, the Republicans had allowed the divisions in their party to deepen, wounds given and received to fester into resentments, even grudges. The age-old divide within the party between liberals and conservatives continued to foment conflict. Even William F. Buckley, that stalwart of the New Right, lamented in an editorial, “We [Republicans] cannot effectively exploit their [Democrats] division at present. We need to unify…”

Unity was certainly a logical goal for the GOP, but achieving it would prove difficult. Before a coherent campaign message could be composed and delivered, a consensus needed to be reached within the party on a number of issues. To do that, party leaders and strategists decided that they needed to begin by identifying which issues the rank and file could agree on. As it happened, there were a number of these.

Inflation, which had peaked at nearly 12% in 1974, had fallen to 7.6% by 1978. By all accounts, the appointment of Paul Vocker to the Chairmanship of the Federal Reserve by President Bush had been a success. Though high interest rates hurt aggregate demand, and probably led to slower economic recovery, President Udall reaffirmed his commitment to “whipping inflation”. Volcker, and his policies, remained. That said, the Iranian Revolution and its aftermath, as well as other conflicts in the Middle East kept oil prices, and thus gas prices, high. For all the President’s efforts toward energy independence, most were long-term solutions. In the short term, Americans were feeling the pinch in their pocket books.

Whether they blamed the still-high inflation rate on excessive government spending or on inadequate supplies of goods and services, virtually all Republicans agreed that curbing inflation could be a winning issue for them. They took that ball and ran with it.

There was also broad agreement in the party to fight “corruption” and “inefficiency” in government. Even liberals of the GOP’s Romney-ite wing agreed that the “excesses” of the last two decades needed to be reined in. Criminality. Deceit. Graft. These stood in the way of good, honest government. There it was again. “Good government”, that old adage of President Romney. New York City’s near brush with bankruptcy, mirrored in so many municipalities nationwide, brought this issue to the forefront.

Much to the delight of Buckley and his allies, positions that were once seen as more conservative drifted into the Republican mainstream throughout this election cycle. For one thing, cutting taxes, not just on lower and middle income brackets, but across the board, became more popular. Many GOP candidates, especially for the House of Representatives, argued that taxes on the nation’s “producers” - big business and industry - had been kept too high for too long. They argued that if this tax burden were reduced, then prices for consumers could begin to fall as well.

Likewise, strategists like Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, and a young Lee Atwater, men who had been involved in Phyllis Schlafley’s primary challenge of President Bush, continued to hone their craft. They perfected a new type of campaign for the candidates they managed - sharp, edgy, and emotional - targeting “wedge-issues” such as mandatory school busing, abortion, and gun rights. Though Schlafley’s campaign to steal the nomination from a sitting President in ‘76 had likely been doomed from the start, the tactics that her campaign pioneered were, unfortunately, proving effective in more competitive races.

Though the national party continued to oppose open race-baiting and other tactics to court Southern voters, many Republican candidates took it upon themselves to adopt “soft” versions of this strategy anyway. “Law and order” rhetoric continued to play well as the national crime rate remained high. Thus, the Republicans found their issues for 1978: inflation; corruption; tax cuts; law and order.

d-saT4LZdn1CGyd_DsJNYyMkrq18UZGfv2atmB4kyDUX5OEK8CUEp3aGO_bS6xisljiXRU4MsDFW2QF16UIJduD764LG-VYdq5YNrOJh-Io9iUmQj4CPY_bLNLR6ZCImY6qeVZyDZCddAw7knekG03CkxEgl9Kj_-dV9GUUhdPdpt2KwviKIqVGolKWPJg

Despite calls from those on the communitarian wing of the Democratic Party to moderate his rhetoric and positions, President Udall largely stuck to his progressive ideals during his first two years in office. Again, this made him popular with the party base, but it also made him vulnerable with independents and moderates.

Republicans did not attack the President, but they did highlight and campaign against his less popular programs in an attempt to court those groups. They made attack ads asking whether the nation could afford “eskimo poetry” (quoting former Vice President Reagan) with the cost of living at an all-time high. They questioned, in the aftermath of the SALT II treaty being defeated in the Senate, if the President could continue to be seen as a strong leader, capable of passing important legislation.

While President Udall remained an enthusiastic defender of both his record and his policies, not everyone in his party was happy to do the same. Members of the aforementioned communitarian wing, including Senator Joe Biden (D - DE) who faced reelection that year, worked to distance themselves from the President, striking a more moderate tone, and calling for “bipartisan” solutions to issues like inflation and unemployment. Communitarians likewise held more sway throughout the south and west. In states like Georgia, Texas, and Mississippi, Democratic candidates asked the President to either soften his rhetoric, or to not appear on their behalf, sending other surrogates like the Vice President, Lloyd Bentsen, instead. Udall acquiesced, focusing his stump speeches on his labor record and the environment.

On the bright side for Democrats, in most of the country, the President’s approval rating remained high. Gallup polls done a month before the midterms showed his numbers steady at about 52%, with only 41% disapproval. In Mo’s mind, that left the other 7%, the “undecideds” as people he could convince. Welcomed in most places, Udall campaigned vigorously on behalf of his fellow Democrats, and urged the American people to give him the votes he needed to fulfill the other pledges he had made to them two years prior.

The results were, strangely, encouraging for both parties.

The Senate of the 96th US Congress
Democrats (Majority) - 57 (+1)
Republicans (Minority) - 43 (-1)

Alabama
John J. Sparkman (D)
James B. Allen (D)

Alaska
Theodore F. Stevens (R) - Reelected over Donald Hobbs. R Hold.
Frank Murkowski (R)

Arizona
Barry Goldwater (R)
Dennis DeConcini (D)

Arkansas
Dale Bumpers (D)
David Pryor (D) - Succeeded retiring incumbent McClellan. D Hold.

California
John V. Tunney (D)
Shirley Temple Black (R)

Colorado
Gary Hart (D)
William L. Armstrong (R) - Defeated incumbent Haskell. R Gain.

Connecticut
Abraham A. Ribicoff (D)
Lowell P. Weicker, Jr. (R)

Delaware
Joseph Biden (D) - Easily reelected. D Hold.
Thomas Maloney (D)

Florida
Lawton Chiles (D)
Jack Eckerd (R)

Georgia
Sam Nunn (D) - Reelected over John W. Stokes. D Hold.
James Earl Carter (D)

Hawaii
Daniel K. Inouye (D)
Spark Matsunaga (D)

Idaho
Frank F. Church (D)
James A. McClure (R) - Reelected. R Hold.

Illinois
Charles H. Percy (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Donald Rumsfeld (R)

Indiana
Richard Lugar (R)
Edgar Whitcomb (R)

Iowa
Jack R. Miller (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
David M. Stanley (R)

Kansas
Bob Dole (R)
Nancy Kassebaum (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Pearson. R Hold.

Kentucky
Walter B. Huddleston (D) - Reelected. D Hold.
Wendell Ford (D)

Louisiana
Russell B. Long (D)
John McKeithen (D) - Reelected. D Hold.

Maine
Edmund Muskie (D)
William Cohen (R) - Defeated incumbent Hathaway. R Gain.

Maryland
Charles Mathias (R) - Replaced Agnew, who resigned amid Scandal in 1977.
Paul Sarbanes (D)

Massachusetts
Edward M. Kennedy (D)
Paul Tsongas (D) - Defeated incumbent Conte. D Gain.

Michigan
Robert P. Griffin (R) - Reelected over Carl Levin. R Hold.
Donald Riegle (D)

Minnesota
Walter Mondale (D) - Reelected in regular Senate election. D Hold.
David Durenberger (R) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Stassen. R Hold.

Mississippi
John C. Stennis (D)
Charles Evers (D) - Elected to fill retiring incumbent Eastlund. D Hold.

Missouri
Thomas F. Eagleton (D)
Jerry Litton (D)

Montana
Jack Melcher (D)
Max Baucus (D) - Defeated incumbent Hibbard. D Gain.

Nebraska
Edward Zorinsky (D)
J. James Exon (D) succeeded retiring incumbent Curtis. D Gain.

Nevada
Howard W. Cannon (D)
Paul Laxalt (R)

New Hampshire
Louis Wyman (R)
Gordon J. Humphrey (R) defeats incumbent McIntyre. R Gain.

New Jersey
Harrison A. Williams Jr. (D)
Bill Bradley (D) - defeated incumbent Case. D Gain.

New Mexico
Pete Domenici (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Harrison Schmitt (R)

New York
Robert F. Kennedy (D)
Ramsey Clark (D)

North Carolina
J. Terry Sanford (D)
Jesse Helms (R) - Reelected. R Hold.

North Dakota
Milton R. Young (R)
Quentin M. Burdick (D)

Ohio
John Glenn (D)
Robert Taft, Jr. (R)

Oklahoma
Henry Bollman (R)
David Boren (D) - Succeeded retiring incumbent Bartlett. D Gain.

Oregon
Mark O. Hatfield (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Bob Packwood (R)

Pennsylvania
Richard Schweiker (R)
William J. Green III (D)

Rhode Island
John Chafee (R)
Claiborne Pell (D) - Reelected. D Hold.

South Carolina
Strom Thurmond (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
Ernest Hollings (D)

South Dakota
Leo Thorsness (R)
Larry Pressler (R) succeeds retiring incumbent Abourezk. R Gain.

Tennessee
Howard H. Baker, Jr. (R) - Reelected. R Hold.
James Sasser (D)

Texas
Audie Murphy (D)
John Tower (R) - Succeeds retiring incumbent Sanders. R Gain.

Utah
Jake Garn (R)
Orrin Hatch (R)

Vermont
Richard W. Mallary (R)
Patrick Leahy (D)

Virginia
Harry F. Byrd, Jr. (D)
John Warner (R) succeeds retiring incumbent Scott. R Hold.

Washington
Warren G. Magnuson (D)
Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (D)

West Virginia
Jennings Randolph (D)
Robert C. Byrd (D)

Wisconsin
William Proxmire (D)
Gaylord A. Nelson (D)

Wyoming
Gale McGee (D)
Alan K. Simpson (R) succeeded retiring incumbent Hansen. R Hold.

JH005BZ5GtHddmGeyvXlZ-Fnjf-rCKpRUWtjfevlUQi2wEa-uVmK64bNAHF6ZgMQwpx1wdF-Xwpn8Z1sUMtkCggLW7MqBLKqA-UxJHoBaCqvGdPteUjWUrafuudP8rGjmZItpKjI4_pH9iu-iuty36KRBarQ7_YYLtUEFgxue0NUgtJbAeUsaqgjHawByA

Senate Leadership:

Senate Majority Leader
: Russell B. Long (D - LA)
Senate Majority Whip: Edward M. Kennedy (D - MA)

Senate Minority Leader: Howard Baker (R - TN)
Senate Minority Whip: Donald Rumsfeld (R - IL)

The House of Representatives:

Democrats: 246 (-14)
Republicans: 189 (+14)

House Leadership:

Speaker of the House:
Tip O’Neill (D - MA)
House Majority Leader: Patsy Mink (D - HI)
House Majority Whip: Jim Wright (D - TX)

House Minority Leader: Gerald R. Ford (R - MI)
House Minority Whip: John B. Anderson (R - IL)

Gubernatorial Races:

Alabama - Fob James (D), succeeded term limited incumbent Wallace. D Hold.
Alaska - Jay Hammond (R), reelected. R Hold.
Arizona - Evan Meachem (R), reelected. R Hold.
Arkansas - Joe Percell (D), succeeded retiring incumbent Pryor. D Hold.
California - Jerry Brown (D), succeeded retiring incumbent Roosevelt. D Hold.
Colorado - Richard Lamm (D), reelected. D Hold.
Connecticut - Ella T. Grasso (D), reelected. D Hold.
Florida - Bob Graham (D), succeeded term-limited Askew. D Hold.
Georgia - George Busbee (D), reelected. D Hold.
Hawaii - George Ariyoshi (D), reelected. D Hold.
Idaho - John V. Evans (D), reelected. D Hold.
Illinois - James R. Thompson (R), reelected. R Hold.
Iowa - Robert D. Ray (R), reelected. R Hold.
Kansas - John Carlin (D), defeated incumbent Bennett. D Gain.
Maine - Joseph E. Brennan (D), succeeded incumbent Longley. D Gain.
Maryland - Harry Hughes (D), succeeded incumbent Mandel. D Hold.
Massachusetts - Michael Dukakis (D), reelected. D Hold.
Michigan - William Milliken (R), reelected. R Hold.
Minnesota - Rudy Perpich (DFL), reelected. D Hold.
Nebraska - Charles Thone (R), succeeded incumbent Exon. R Gain.
Nevada - Robert List (R), succeeded incumbent O'Callaghan. R Gain.
New Hampshire - Hugh Gallen (D), defeated incumbent Thomson. D Gain.
New Mexico - Bruce King (D), succeeded incumbent Apodaca. D Hold.
New York - Hugh Carey (D), reelected. D Hold
Ohio - Dick Celeste (D), defeated incumbent Rhodes. D Gain.
Oklahoma - George Nigh (D), succeeded term limited incumbent Boren. D Hold.
Oregon - Victor Atiyeh (R), defeated incumbent Straub. R Gain.
Pennsylvania - Dick Thornburgh (R) defeated incumbent Schapp. R Gain.
Rhode Island - John Garrahy (D), reelected. D Hold.
South Carolina - Richard Riley (D), succeeded two-term incumbent Edwards. D Gain.
South Dakota - Bill Janklow (R), defeated Democratic candidate McKellips. R Gain.
Tennessee - Lamar Alexander (R), succeeded retiring incumbent Blanton. R Gain.
Texas - Dolph Briscoe (D), reelected. D Hold.
Vermont - Richard Smelling (R), reelected. R Hold.
Wisconsin - Martin J. Schreiber (D), reelected. D Hold.
Wyoming - John C. Ostland (R), defeated incumbent Herschler. R Gain.

In the end, Democrats maintained their control of both chambers of Congress. Their loss of only fourteen seats to the GOP in the House meant that Speaker Tip O’Neill (D - MA) would still have plenty of wiggle room when it came to getting legislation passed. In the Senate, Majority Leader Russell B. Long (D - LA) actually made a net gain of one seat! President Udall and his allies celebrated the results as an affirmation of the American people’s trust in them. There may have been some slowdown to “Mo-mentum”, but the President was poised to make a strong comeback in the second half of his first term.

Republicans, though disappointed somewhat by the margins, were modestly pleased too. Their efforts to unite the party behind a single coherent ideology had borne fruit, and would continue to do so. Party leaders and strategists were already looking ahead to 1980. With former Vice President Ronald Reagan (R - CA) as the all-but unspoken frontrunner for the nomination, the party did a fine job laying the groundwork for a united party and ensuring the Gipper’s victory. Though moderate candidates put up the strongest performances of the night for the GOP, the overall mood of the party had shifted to the right, especially on economic issues. This helped them draw a sharp contrast to the President and his party. Unless the political situation changed dramatically before 1980, the Republican campaign for the White House would once again be centered on: inflation; corruption; tax cuts; and law and order.

Notable Races

In Pennsylvania, where more than sixty members of Democratic Governor Milton Schapp’s administration had been indicted on corruption charges, moderate Republican Dick Thornburgh made tremendous headway by promising to put a stop to the misconduct. Thornburgh had previously built his reputation as a U.S. Attorney, appointed by President Romney back in 1971. In that position, Thornburgh fought organized crime and later successfully took Pittsburgh steel companies to court for polluting the state’s rivers. With running mate Bill Scranton (himself a son of a former PA governor) at his side, Thornburgh easily defeated Schapp in his reelection bid. Thornburgh’s victory was just one of many for moderate Republicans in ‘78.

In Maine, two-term congressman William Cohen would go on to defeat Democratic incumbent William Hathaway for his U.S. Senate seat. Cohen’s time in the House of Representatives earned him a reputation as a moderate Republican, with liberal views on social issues, and as a “maverick” with the ability to fashion compromise out of discord. Only 38 years old at the time, Cohen was quickly pegged as a possible “rising star” in the GOP after his victory.

Perhaps the most historic victory of the night went to Charles Evers, a 56 year old African-American Civil Rights activist, businessman, and World War II vet, who narrowly won election, as a communitarian Democrat, to the U.S. Senate seat for Mississippi that had, for decades, been occupied by segregationist James Eastlund. Elder brother of the slain activist Medgar Evers, Charles thereafter served as field director of the NAACP in Mississippi. Though his campaign against conservative Republican Thad Cochran was viewed as a “long shot” by the national party, Evers’ devoted followers pushed him over the finish line, making him the first black Senator from Mississippi since Hiram Revels more than a century before. After Republican Edward Brooke, Evers was also the second African-American to be popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, and the first black Democrat.

iu9ctFbO732N3Wv4IeRAW9umrNoSk5rPryGoutc7IZETt9LVMwP1gu0S8GmAjHnyWCs1FjqAu8uyqeXj4BXCXnax5HxIdsarBOi1LUv1sn3iOzKpZWZjt9inVMC03lAIQl2w-Lf3vNIxW-un8h6xFlK8RcVMB49dRGkBlmPobsmkFHajydxOk1PhOIuqNw

Senator-Elect Charles Evers (D - MS)

Also winning reelection to their various offices were Congressman Dick Cheney (R - WY) and Maryland House of Delegates member Hillary Rodham Bush (R - MD). Cheney has been forging alliances with his former boss, Senator Donald Rumsfeld (R - IL), while Mrs. Rodham Bush has been developing her experience as a practical law maker. Her husband, George Walker Bush, in addition to his work at Lockheed Martin, volunteers with veterans’ advocacy groups.

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: The Golden Age of Terror Continues
IT'S BACK! I'm soooo happy to see President Udall back in action!