Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

The suggestion of a Goldwater-McGovern Ticket has definitely taken root in my mind... Even if they don't necessarily run in a national election together, I'm definitely getting some ideas. Stay Tuned ;)

its-happening-gif.png

Actaully, since this TL is also covering Pop Culture, how are comics doing ITTL? We've already seen some Butterflies on the Batman show, but what about back in the comics? Did Steve Ditko leave Marvel at the same time as OTL?

Actaully, since this TL is also covering Pop Culture, how are comics doing ITTL? We've already seen some Butterflies on the Batman show, but what about back in the comics? Did Steve Ditko leave Marvel at the same time as OTL?

An excellent question! :D I'm a fan of Superhero related TV shows and Movies but a real casual compared to many comic book aficionados. For this reason, I'm worried I may not be the most qualified to give a detailed run down on differences in the Comic Book industry ITTL from our own, but I can say that some of the changes made with Poison Ivy on Batman will change her trajectory as a character in future comics to come for the Dark Knight. :)

The industry in general, like OTL is benefiting from the increasing popularity of Science Fiction as a genre. Stan Lee's bold writing style, along with Kirby and Ditko's artwork, full of tension and psychedelic styles, are giving Marvel a bit of an age with the younger demographics and are making heroes like Spider-Man and the Hulk popular on College Campuses. To answer your direct question, woweed; Ditko still leaves Marvel as per OTL. Though my research on the subject is fairly limited, to my knowledge Ditko left for personal reasons and disagreements with Lee on where to take characters and whatnot. Unless Lee leaves, Ditko seems likely to.

If comics are something that you guys are interested in me covering in more detail in the next pop culture update, I can do that. :)

If comics are something that you guys are interested in me covering in more detail in the next pop culture update, I can do that.
Sure. Things are really gonna get interesting around 1970. If Kirby doesn't leave Marvel for DC, things are gonna get very divergent. DC was stagnating in the face of Marvel, and Kirby's arrival helped bring some new life into the company. Not to mention, Kirby's New God characters potentially being part of Marvel rather then DC. That's not even bring up the business side of things, like Marvel's sale to Perfect Film and Chemical in 1969. That could be very different. Could Disney buy them 40 years ahead of schedule?:p

Last edited:
Sure. Things are really gonna get interesting around 1970. If Kirby doesn't leave Marvel for DC, things are gonna get very divergent. Dc was stagnating in the face of Marvel, and Kirby's arrival helped bring some new life to the company. Not to mention, Kirby's New God characters potentially being part of Marvel rather then DC. That's not even bring up the business side of things, like Marvel's sale to Perfect Film and Chemical in 1969. That could be very different. Could Disney buy them 40 years ahead of schedule?:p

Interesting! I'll definitely have to do some more research.

Interesting! I'll definitely have to do some more research.
You know, I just thought: Even if Kirby still leaves for DC, where they put him could change things a lot. IOTL, Kirby promised them he'd take their worst-selling book and make it their best, whereupon they put him to work on their worst-selling book, that infamous icon of the Silver Age, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. That's part of why his taking it over is considered the end of an era. However, if he doesn't make that promise...Well, can you imagine Jack Kirby writing, say, Action Comics? That'd be bonkers.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, who were some of the prominent defectors to the ACP? I'd imagine Strom Thurmond, Lester Maddox, and maybe John Stennis left their parties for the Conservatives.

I do wonder about Sam Ervin, after reading up on him he seems to me a Smathers Democrat rather than a ACP guy. He was very much a defender of civil liberties and prosecuted both Mcarthy and Nixon, two people the Conservatives ittl would be at least willing to play around with.

One more thing about Falwell: Barry Goldwater said that all good Christians should "kick him in the ass."

Love that quote about Falwell...

My prediction for 1968,

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 8.18.24 PM.png

Romney/Bush (R)
Humphrey/Glenn (D)
Wallace/Chandler (AC)

On paper Humphrey's path to an electoral college majority looks narrow. He would have difficulty against a pro-civil rights candidate like Romney given that both the South and much of the Midwest would be out of reach. Given the liberalism of the two major party candidates, Wallace and the American conservatives perform exceptionally well in the South, perhaps even preventing any candidate from achieving an electoral college majority (this would make for a very interesting plot twist).

On the other hand, Romney is an especially gaffe-prone candidate, and any idelogocally-driven splits in the GOP could yield dividends for the Democratic candidate.