Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by President_Lincoln, Nov 29, 2017.

1. President_Lincoln The Great Emancipator

Thank you, @C2sg! I'm glad you all enjoyed the update. :)

Though the Tories ITTL were indeed opposed to devolution, they were forced to concede the point by popular demand after Scotland's astounding victory in the 1974 World Cup.

Amidst the Conservative Government's IMMENSE unpopularity over the economy, the last thing they needed was a devolution protest on top of it.

2. QTXAdsy That Fifer

Early devolution for Scotland, interesting to see how Scottish politics will be butterflied in many ways with the SNP taking a different course considering they were rather pally with the Tories then and the relationship broke after OTL's first vote on devolution. Crazy to think what might happen for them in the long term.

Seeing here that the British economy is somewhat in the gutter here, something tells me that the Flying Scotsman tours to promote British business might've not had the immediate effect they were hoping for, other than say tourism promotion on Scotland and Wales?

On the edge of seat for how things will progress...

President_Lincoln likes this.
  3. ThatRomanFanatic Super Saiyan Roman

People reading Blue Skies in Camelot for the first time be like:
    upload_2019-10-3_20-18-42.jpeg

4. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Great update, as usual, but there is one glaring issue. Margaret Thatcher would never pass devolution for Scotland. She was a dedicated unionist and nothing short of another Jacobite Uprising would make her want to hold a devolution referendum in Scotland.

5. SavoyTruffle I am the modren man

Good to see Mexico and Scotland doing well.

Only if it's followed by a chapter called Tusk.

6. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

I agree that the Scottish devolution should've been more of a fight, potentially leading to the fall of Thatcher's government in a Brexit-esque crisis with Scotland threatening secession and an empowered, left-wing Labour and resurgent LibDem party clawing votes from the Tories in critical constituencies.

7. President_Lincoln The Great Emancipator

All of the comments about Scottish devolution being extremely unlikely under Thatcher are striking me as true. :) Thank you all for your upfront honesty on this particular issue. I admit, I may have just gotten a little carried away in the hype of Alba winning the World Cup, and apologize for presenting this very unlikely circumstance. I'm going to remove that section from the TL for now, and will cover the issue more properly in the next full length UK update. Sound good? :D

8. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

Cool! IMO it's the perfect material for a political dramedy of errors as resurgent nationalist hubris, decaying imperialist hubris, and economic frustration collide into a truly British political disaster. The parliamentary negotiations alone are a potential gold mine! :)

9. Leafninja91 The Man that makes the Impossible Real

I can't remember, did Khrushchev get "Taking Care Of" in the Stalinist sense.

President_Lincoln likes this.
  10. John Spangler A man of wealth and taste

Britain is in for some interesting times.

11. Ogrebear Well-Known Member

Good update there @President_Lincoln

USSR seemed to throw away a good thing there- get out of power Andropov!

Hopefully we will see the Soviet Union and China both forge a different path from OTL.

Maggie seems to be charting a very OTL path even if elected earlier. Though earlier privatisation may stop the worst of the 70's rot and allow for investment and new technology that helps maintain UK manufacturing economy as the rivals of the 80's are not in place yet. Though "...followed by years of corruption, mismanagement, inefficiency, and private monopolization in the water, gas, steel, and electricity industries to be endured by British consumers" does not sound exactly positive. Hopefully Healey and his Labour Party will reverse the worst of these once they can get back into power.

I expect BR will find their budgets frozen or slashed under Thatcher, unless they can make a solid case for more electrification infrastructure, an expert like @SadSprinter or @Devvy may be able to advise more on how BR does in this period under an early Thatcher govt.

Good for Mexico.

12. President_Lincoln The Great Emancipator

Nope. :) ITTL, Khrushchev serves as First Secretary until retiring in 1968. He is succeeded by Alexei Kosygin, and shortly thereafter, Yuri Andropov.

13. SadSprinter Well-Known Member

I'd imagine in a dire financial situation for BR in the 1970s, to avoid privatisation, you'd probably see a massive rationalisation of regional and cross-country routes in favour of London bound Intercity routes, more line and station closurses and a massive push towards leisure and off-peak travel as seen in the 1980s. It would essentially have to revert to the 1980s profit driven business model much earlier than it did in OTL.

Ogrebear and President_Lincoln like this.
  14. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

The future where Aku's evil is law, babe.
    Wow! That was a great update!!! Interesting times for China, the Soviet Union, Canada & Mexico. I hope Labour wins in the UK when elections come around. Early Scottish devolution by Thatcher of all people? I must say I am surprised.

15. Pokemon Master What's it to you?

That part may or may not be getting retconned in the next update.

16. President_Lincoln The Great Emancipator

I can confirm that early devolution has officially been retconned for the time being. :) As mentioned before, I will cover the topic in detail during the next UK update in Act III.

17. JamesHunter Well-Known Member

Something for Labour if they kick Maggie from office I guess. If they avoid the suicide note they're shooting at an open goal with the mess her antics are making.

18. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Scotland wouldn't threaten secession. The SNP were tiny in the 70s, even if Scotland won in 74 they would remain so. Scotland in 1976 was not Catalonia in 2017. The Central Belt was Labour heartland, while the Highlands and Islands were Liberal territory. Neither would be stupid enough to try and secede. The problem with an empowered left wing Labour is that it has always been two parties within each other and is only truly unified under a popular leader such as Attlee or Blair pre 2003. There was no such figure in the late 70s/early 80s in Labour. When they did go left under Foot, we got the SDP. If Benn became Leader it would be Foot writ large. Also, the Liberals (Lib Dems didn't exist until 1988) were a small party from 1931ish to 1987 or so. They basically need Labour to be unpopular to do well, like in 2005, 2010 or the 2019 European Elections. @President_Lincoln if you need any advice about Britain in this period then I'd be welcome to help.

19. Pyro Love the platypus, obey the platypus.

There's a reason why I have heard people say that Stanfield was the greatest prime minister never had. I look forward to see how he deals with the issue of separatism in Quebec and the possibility of a referendum as the Parti Quebecois formed the provincial government in 1976 OTL. One other noticeable side effect is that Stanfield's premiership may have likely nipped western alienation in bud as there would be no National Energy Program to create resentment in Alberta.

However, I will be interested in seeing if David Crombie and the tories will try and repatriate the constitution as PET's Liberals did in OTL.

20. Leafninja91 The Man that makes the Impossible Real

Ya I remember that, but what happens to him after he is succeeded.