Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, a little bit of future planning....

How about if I bring out It in 1990 as a theatrical movie?

And when we approach the millennium, would Haley Joel Osment make a good Jake Chambers in a early-mid 2000's film of the Dark Tower books?

Deleted member 100251

^
Also is the Men of Action still a thing ITTL? If so, I have an idea regarding them. (Well, a couple)

I would've been in stitches if he said, "I'm the goddamned Batman!"
It'd fit better with a goon shouting "it's the goddamned Batman!".
BTW, a little bit of future planning....

How about if I bring out It in 1990 as a theatrical movie?

And when we approach the millennium, would Haley Joel Osment make a good Jake Chambers in a early-mid 2000's film of the Dark Tower books?

Yes please. Unlike most movies we've covered I think that the cast can stay unchanged. Tim Curry is a must as Pennywise, for instance. I'd go with the 2017's solution of splitting the film into two though. The underage orgy should remain out of the film.

Films. Adapting an epic like the Dark Tower saga requires at least a trilogy, if not a television series. I'd suggest casting Karl Urban as Roland and have him do a Clint Eastwood impression since that's what inspired the character.

:'( None of my suggestions for casting were used and you didn't mention any stunt casting

Adam West would only be seen in flashbacks and Liam Neeson could be cast as Roman "Black Mask" Scionis in a sequel.

I wonder if somehow we can fit the Grey Ghost in to the National Cinematic Universe...

With It, how do we go about splitting the film in half? Have one half be 1958 and the other 1985? And yes, Tim Curry will be in it. ;)

With the idea of the Dark Tower divided into a trilogy, what year should the first film come out?

Disney Double Feature Summer 1989
The day after CBS brought out Batman, Disney flexed its cinematic muscle with yet another double feature. This year, Hyperion's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade received top billing, with Disney's Honey, I Shrunk the Kids representing the second half. Originally slated for May, Indy's third outing was yet another casualty of delayed releases in the wake of the 1988 screenwriters' strike, plus, the Jozsef Barsi incident on the Disney lot put principal photography of both Indy and Honey two weeks behind schedule.

54677_0.png

Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids-700x384.jpg

While Honey plays the same as its OTL version, the ending of Indy 3 is modified to open the series to a fourth and possibly a fifth sequel, one of which could be based on the OTL Fate of Atlantis PC game. Oh yeah, one more thing, both films are preceded by the Roger Rabbit short Tummy Trouble.

I wonder if somehow we can fit the Grey Ghost in to the National Cinematic Universe...

With It, how do we go about splitting the film in half? Have one half be 1958 and the other 1985? And yes, Tim Curry will be in it. ;)

With the idea of the Dark Tower divided into a trilogy, what year should the first film come out?

I was talking about @putasidedevil's idea to have West as Thomas Wayne but Simon "Grey Ghost" Trent works too.

Like how the 2017 films are doing it. One for the past and one for the present.

Frankly, they should wait until after the last book in 2004.

Spaceballs
As people continued to wait in long lines to see Batman when June 30, 1989 rolled around, 20th Century-Fox released its latest animated feature from CMJ Studios, Spaceballs.

The first collaboration between Chuck Jones and Mel Brooks, Spaceballs used Disney's Star Wars films as a template for its skewering of the space genre and the ensuing merchandising tie-ins. Also getting a pie in the face were Star Trek, 2001, 2010, Planet of the Apes and the Xenomorph series. Among the voice talents are Mel Brooks (Skroob, Yogurt), Bill Pullman (Lone Starr), John Candy (Barf), Daphne Zuniga (Princess Vespa), Joan Rivers (Dot Matrix), Dom DeLuise (Pizza the Hutt) and Rick Moranis (Dark Helmet). Also appearing were John Cleese as Steve Vasoline (a parody of TTL's Sheev), Dick Van Patten (King Roland), George Wymer (Sanders) and Leslie Bevis (Zircon).

In the film, Planet Spaceball has run out of fresh air and the villainous Helmet must collect all five Schwartz Stones, with or without the purchase of a kids meal, to harness the power necessary to abduct Princess Vespa and blackmail King Roland into surrendering Planet Druidia's air supply to the Spaceball Empire. But just as Helmet has descended on to the moon of Vega in search of Stone #5, in his way stands Lone Starr and Barf. The Winnebago Eagle 1 pursues Helmet to the super starcraft carrier Spaceball One, where Lone Starr, Barf and Steve break in to rescue Vespa. Lone Star and Steve confront Helmet, for the first time and the last time, buying time for Barf to sneak Vespa out of Spaceball One and in to the flying motorhome. Halfway in to the final battle, Skroob joins in on the fight, spoofing the two on one lightsaber duels in the Star Wars trilogy, as well as spoofing Revenge of the Jedi's revelation of Constantine as a Sith Lord. The revelation of Skroob to be Schwartz-sensitive comes to a total shock to Helmet who is knocked backwards in to the self-destruct button. Our heroes escape, and Spaceball One breaks up into little pieces, landing on a beach to the bemusement of Not-Caesar (Graham Chapman) and Not-Lisa (Carole Cleveland).

Spaceballs came in at number four with mixed reviews in the tail end of a tough, competitive month behind Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Batman. Since then, Spaceballs has gone on to become a cult classic.

What's next for CMJ? Jones hinted a year ago his next film after this would be Dr Seuss's The Butter Battle Book, but as of now he is looking at another Mel Brooks script, Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Stan Lee: "Bob used to call me up all the time and say 'Hey, you seen Batman? It was the biggest movie of the year! Where's Spider-Man?"
- 2005 Interview​

I thought I had to comment on this, I imagine there are a lot of comic fans asking that question as Spider-Man is supposed to be Marvel's flagship character.

Plus, I hope to hear about the Superman film soon. I wonder what other National properties could translate to film: Aquaman and Green Arrow spring to mind immediately. If you wanted to lean into horror and the arcane, Swamp Thing and a John Constantine film would do. Just give Alan Moore credit and some royalties, and maybe that would avoid the bitterness he had with DC. Legion of Super-Heroes would be a good choice if you want a sci-fi bent.

Wonder Woman 2 will be out in July '89, while the Flash and Blue Beetle will be out in Summer '90.

@Pyro
Swamp Thing will likely come out in 1990 to coincide with the debut of the OTL TV show. Superman will come in '91, provided we find someone to play the lead role.

BTW, could Swamp Thing be bumped up to an R, or would PG-13 be the preferred rating?

I would go with R.

As for other casting suggestions for Superman '91, I would suggest Demi Moore as Lois Lane. Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor (why not?) and you're inclined to use the character, Jeffery Coombs as Brainiac. Does anyone know of any redheads from the late 80s-early 90s that could be Jimmy Olsen?

How about Liam Neason for a R rated Swamp Thing and maybe a cameo by Molly Ringwald as Pamela Isley.
Also as we head into '91 Kevin Smith's Clerks should be released if it hasn't been butterflied away
As for Jimmy Olson how about a hair dyed Robert Downey Jr. Or Kevin Bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.