Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrade TruthTeller

Gone Fishin'
upload_2019-12-7_12-57-1.png

The Labour Party leadership election 2010 infobox as it appeared on Wikipedia shortly after nominations closed, from my TL, The Beast of Britain.

(This is what the box looked like in 2010, minus Skinner and + Diane. The photos are pretty small.)

Based off an exchange in the Explain the AH Quote Thread:

Red Arturoist said:
"A good football (soccer) player usually makes for a bad politician."

The Militant Doberman said:
Ukrainian presidential candidate Vitali Klitschko’s comment when asked by a reporter what does he think of his main opponent, Oleg Blokhin (a leftist politician and one of Ukraine’s most prominent retired football players). The comment proved popular and funny since Klitschko himself comes from a sports background (he was a heavyweight boxer), leading to it spreading in the form of political cartoons, online memes and even joke “Football VS Boxing” discussions.

oxgl5y.png

If the mods consider this current politics, I will transport this infobox to the appropriate thread.

Prime Minister Healey & 2019 Labor Leadership Election

On December 6, 2019, the leadership election for the new leader of the Labor Party of America would be held to replace outgoing Prime Minister Mike Madigan who resigned in the wake of the 2019 federal election. Attorney General Maura Healey of Massachusetts would defeat all other candidates including her two biggest rivals, Interior Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Energy Minister Scott Dianda, for the leadership of Labor Party. While many candidates would run on specific policies if they were PM, Healey would instead focus mostly on her being the best candidate to keep the proposed Labor-Progressive-Green coalition alive as long as possible, which resonated with the Labor MP's who emphatically did not want a new general election soon. With Healey's election as leader, the ongoing negotiations with Progressive leader Sanders and Green leader May were finalized, and on December 13 , Healey would be formally made the next Prime Minister of America and would lead the first coalition government in America in over 40 years.

pm-healey-png.507405
2019-labor-election-png.507399

Stretching south from the Ohio, east from the Mississippi, and north from the Gulf coast, the Commonwealth of Virginia is a nation of diverse peoples and ideas, of old plantations, mountain mining village, and upland farming towns, known most for its unyielding allegiance to its age old traditions.

The Tories had long been the natural party of government, the party of the wealthy planters, and the Byrds were the ruling family of the Tories. In 1986, Harry Byrd Jr., no longer very junior at all, was seeking a third term as prime minster. With Byrd aging, many opponents felt that this was their shot. The Christian Populists, a party founded by William Jennings Bryan nearly a century earlier, had elected Al Gore as their leader, beating out James Carter to replace Reubin Askew. Meanwhile, the Commonwealth-Farmer-Labor leader was now John Jenrette, who had been elected after the sudden death of Cliff Finch earlier that year, who himself had replaced the longtime Byrd foe Henry Howell.

As the campaign began, Gore declared a "crisis of morality," arguing that the government was ignoring a moral decline of consumerism and hedonism promoted by lewd popular culture. He promoted himself as the candidate of family values, and supported increased restrictions on drinking, gambling, and foul language in books and music, while promoting environmental stewardship and economic uplift for poor families. Jenrette, meanwhile, faced criticism for his own moral standards, but instead focused on the economy, which was slowing, criticizing the growing economic inequality and the lack of protections for workers and unions. Byrd, for his part, let his party machine do the campaigning, just at he had let them do the governing, preferring to play golf at the country club. The Tories attacked the hypocrisy of Gore. Gore billed himself as the candidate of change, unlike the "Byrd dynasty," but ignored the fact that he too came from a political family. They used his focus on social concerns to draw him into a culture war on civil rights, while taking a page from his book and passing stronger laws against public obscenity, a pointed jab at Jenrette's own scandal.

While the campaign would end up revolving around cultural issues, the economy would decide the day. It was weakening, but not enough to steal the majority from Byrd. No surprise then, in retrospect, that the only party to gain seats was the one who spoke to the voters' main concern, his sex life notwithstanding. While the election resulted in no change in government, it would set the stage for changes in the years to come.

upload_2019-12-8_1-58-27.png

mtP3d2m.png

If I feel like it, I might eventually come back to this and hash out the actual plot. I've never actually played Life is Strange, but I have watched enough Let's Plays of it to know the story and characters by heart. I do plan on getting a copy of it myself eventually.

Edit: Oh, and that art's not mine.

Last edited:
Stretching south from the Ohio, east from the Mississippi, and north from the Gulf coast, the Commonwealth of Virginia is a nation of diverse peoples and ideas, of old plantations, mountain mining village, and upland farming towns, known most for its unyielding allegiance to its age old traditions.

The Tories had long been the natural party of government, the party of the wealthy planters, and the Byrds were the ruling family of the Tories. In 1986, Harry Byrd Jr., no longer very junior at all, was seeking a third term as prime minster. With Byrd aging, many opponents felt that this was their shot. The Christian Populists, a party founded by William Jennings Bryan nearly a century earlier, had elected Al Gore as their leader, beating out James Carter to replace Reubin Askew. Meanwhile, the Commonwealth-Farmer-Labor leader was now John Jenrette, who had been elected after the sudden death of Cliff Finch earlier that year, who himself had replaced the longtime Byrd foe Henry Howell.

As the campaign began, Gore declared a "crisis of morality," arguing that the government was ignoring a moral decline of consumerism and hedonism promoted by lewd popular culture. He promoted himself as the candidate of family values, and supported increased restrictions on drinking, gambling, and foul language in books and music, while promoting environmental stewardship and economic uplift for poor families. Jenrette, meanwhile, faced criticism for his own moral standards, but instead focused on the economy, which was slowing, criticizing the growing economic inequality and the lack of protections for workers and unions. Byrd, for his part, let his party machine do the campaigning, just at he had let them do the governing, preferring to play golf at the country club. The Tories attacked the hypocrisy of Gore. Gore billed himself as the candidate of change, unlike the "Byrd dynasty," but ignored the fact that he too came from a political family. They used his focus on social concerns to draw him into a culture war on civil rights, while taking a page from his book and passing stronger laws against public obscenity, a pointed jab at Jenrette's own scandal.

While the campaign would end up revolving around cultural issues, the economy would decide the day. It was weakening, but not enough to steal the majority from Byrd. No surprise then, in retrospect, that the only party to gain seats was the one who spoke to the voters' main concern, his sex life notwithstanding. While the election resulted in no change in government, it would set the stage for changes in the years to come.

View attachment 507490
Please make this into a timeline!

To the Edge and Maybe Over-Part 12
"I was grateful for the support of the Republican leadership in our efforts against Iran. They stood up to pressure from some of the more radical elements of their party to pursue impeachment efforts against my administration-something I remain thoroughly grateful for. Speaker Hastert demonstrated the true meaning of 'loyal opposition' in those moments. Unfortunately, the time was fast approaching for them to act as the 'opposition' part."
-Excerpt from President Joe Lieberman's autobiography An Amazing Journey, published 2014

"Senator Hutchison can criticize the Lieberman administration all she wants, but when it comes down to it she has marked lockstep with this president on civil liberties, on foreign policy-I don't think that reflects what Texas wants from their Senator."
-Congressman Ron Paul announcing his primary challenge for US Senate, November 2, 2005

ANTIWAR PROTESTORS INTERRUPT PELOSI TOWNHALL IN SAN FRANCISCO

REPRESENTATIVE BERNIE SANDERS ANNOUNCES BID TO SUCCEED JEFFORDS AS SENATOR

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, DCCC AND NRCC WORRY ABOUT ANTIWAR PRIMARY CHALLENGERS TO INCUMBENTS

DEM CANDIDATES IN KEY SENATE RACES DISCOURAGE LIEBERMAN APPEARANCES AS PRESIDENTIAL APPROVAL DROPS TO 40%

FORMER PRESIDENTIAL SPEECHWRITER AND PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE PAT BUCHANAN ANNOUNCES 'NEW AMERICA FIRST COMMITTEE' TO DRAFT ANTIWAR REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES
-Headlines of The Washington Post, December 2005-February 2006

"Kurt Bills is not the sort of man you would expect to be a major figure in this year's midterm elections. Bills, a 36-year-old teacher-turned-city councilor, is the sort of political novice you would suspect would be weeded out by the primaries. His libertarian viewpoints seem very much out of step with his native Minnesota. However, Bills' passionate antiwar stances and the growing turn of Republicans in the US towards anti-interventionism allowed him to pull off a massively unexpected victory in the Republican primaries for US Senate. The same antiwar energy that allowed Bills to claim the Republican nomination is additionally bolstering the Independence Party campaign of former Ventura staffer Dean Barkley, who is running to the left of Democratic incumbent Mark Dayton. Available polling data indicates the political novice Bills is within striking distance of Dayton, thanks in part to Barkley and in part due to Dayton's support for Lieberman alienating many supporters within Minnesota. Only time will tell if Bills can translate this momentum to victory, but at this point it would not be impossible."
-Excerpt from a Reason article, published April 2006

"Senator Allen can smear me all he wants. When I compare him to the Vietcong soldiers who tried to kill me-well, he can't quite compare."
-Former Assistant Secretary of the Navy Jim Webb in an interview, April 2006. Webb would go on to successfully primary Senator George Allen and be elected Senator from Virginia

"I find the growing tendency of some others in my party towards isolationism to be deeply troubling. I would have thought we realized that head-in-the-sand foreign policy only yields more problems than it solves-9/11 alone should prove that, let alone the likes of World War II. If the isolationists take over the party, I won't be sticking around."
-Secretary of State John McCain, August 9, 2006

"It is totally disgraceful that the Democratic Party has conceded the civil libertarian and antiwar argument almost in its totality to the Republican Party. Granted, it is not universal-but members of the Democratic Party who have sought to stand up against inappropriate governmental interference with our rights and a militaristic foreign policy have been marginalized systematically. I find the bulk of Republican candidates this cycle to be distasteful in one way or another, but we're in a situation where more Republican candidates are willing to stand against the militarists than Democrats."
-Noam Chomsky in an interview, September 9, 2006

"What we have seen in this past election is a stunning rebuke to Lieberman and the War Party. Dozens of Democratic incumbents lost their seats-often to antiwar Republicans. Just a few years ago, this would have been unthinkable-seeing Ron Paul elected Senator, a libertarian win Minnesota and over a dozen new Congressmen winning while promising to work to get the US out of Iraq and Afghanistan. But Lieberman's aggressive foreign policy stances have alienated progressives. Some of them have outright given up on the Democrats and have been backing libertarian or moderate antiwar Republicans like Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb. The starkest detail of what has happened, however, is the fact we cannot deny that the Old Right is back once again."
-Justin Raimondo, writing for Antiwar.com, November 8, 2006
2019-12-08 (1).png
2019-12-08.png

I'm pretty sure before the 25th Amendment was passed in 1967 it was the President Pro Tempore of the Senate who succeeded to the presidency if there was no VP, not the Speaker of the House. Good list otherwise though!

From 1791 to 1881 the President Pro Tempore was first in line. This was changed to Secretary of State in 1881. In 1947 the current presidential line of succession was enacted.

Oh god don't tell me the most evil man in history was gay

The series did say that he seemed to have little to no sexual drive IIRC. That's probably what that section is dealing with.

Correct. Featherston's POV points to him being straight, but with such a low sex drive that he was functionally asexual.

In-universe, the fact that Featherston never married and didn't have any girlfriends at least from the Great War until his death would naturally lead to a lot of speculation that he was gay, asexual, or had some sort of sexual dysfunction that prevented him from trying to form romantic relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.