¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

Here are a couple options I like:
- United Southron Confederacy
- Confederated States of Appalachia/New Columbia/Fredonia
- South American/Fredonian Confederacy/Confederation
- Confederation of Southern/Southron/South America
- Association of Sovereign American States (ASAS!)
- Democratic Republics of New Columbia/Southron America/Fredonia

I'd especially like Fredonia, given it being 1) a name thrown around at the beginning of US history, 2) it having a connection to Texas (Fredonian revolt in 1826) and 3) it being super ironic considering what they're (partially) fighting for.

Maybe its just me but having Southron in an official title seems wrong. It feels like Southern and moron put together, as in "Those damn Southrons think slavery is good for the negro" or what youd call your friend from Alabama after she got her truck really stuck in the mud.
In OTL, was there much debate on what to call themselves?

Archengelsk, you have a knack for doing interesting things with what are normally predictable OTL elements. Also can't wait to find out what happened to Florida (which was New Spain once...).

Last edited:
As I advised before, I would like a real name for the country rather than a boring acronym.

Maybe the Confederation/Republic of Washington/Allegheria (or the other name that was suggested).

Thank you so much for your input guys! :) There are so many cool ideas it's gonna take me a little longer to decide on what alt-CSA name to run with. Also, I'd like to apologize for the delays once more, I was really busy with end of term stuff and finals earlier this month, and now I've been busy getting ready for this huge convention in Los Angeles. Despite it all I've been making slow progress on the next few updates, so I hope to share that with you guys really soon.

Archengelsk, you have a knack for doing interesting things with what are normally predictable OTL elements. Also can't wait to find out what happened to Florida (which was New Spain once...).

Thanks so much M.R.L. :) Definitely keep an eye on Florida, I've got special plans for it. ;)

Excerpt#1: Georgia-Muskogee War; Bio#6: Colonneh
And more lovely TL updates :)

Personally I'd go with Confederate Republic of America, or something along those lines.

Thanks Zinc! :) Confederate Republic of America sounds somewhat like OTL's...yet different enough for my liking lol.

Now I still haven't decided on a name :eek: but I do have some goodies to show y'all. This next update kinda goes back in time. Strangely I never really talked about Indian removal in any of my previous American updates, considering I killed off Jackson super early ya think I'd have mentioned it somewhere already. :p Anyway, without further ado...

rEG6UYY.jpg

Talisa Moore, The Bloody Stick: Georgia at War with the Muskogee Nation (National Muskogee Univ. Press: Tampa, 2008)

…The narrow failure of the Indian Removal Act gave the Indians living east of the Mississippi River a slight reprieve, though efforts by state and federal authorities to relocate all the Indians persisted well beyond 1830. Overtures by representatives of the Cherokee and Muskogee Nations to both Presidents Clay and Van Buren to allow them to stay on their ancestral lands met nothing but deaf ears, as the “consummate compromiser” only seemed interested in a compromise advantageous only to white settlers, and his successor proved to find common ground on this subject despite belonging to an opposing political party. By the mid-1830’s it seemed clear to the southeastern Indians that conciliatory gestures towards the federal government would be nothing more than effort wasted, and that white settlers would no longer wait for the Indians to evacuate of their own volition in order to take their lands.

Georgia remained persistent in its attempts at acquiring Cherokee territory, not only in allowing white settlers unrestricted access to Indian territory, but also with laws designed to restrict Indian rights and even the rights of whites who dared aid any Indian. This became all the more evident when the state forbade Cherokee from, among other things, mining and selling gold found on their own land. In one instance settlers dispossessed Guwisguwi, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation, from his own home after the state sequestered the property, evicted the Chief’s family and sold it to whites. It seemed even the tribal elites were no longer immune to the state of Georgia’s covetous advances.

Then in 1837, not long after President William Harrison’s inauguration, agents from the BIA traveled to the Cherokee Nation and in a secret accord managed to convince some of the pro-treaty tribal leaders to agree to removal west of the Mississippi. Though there were many amongst the Cherokee (and Muskogee for that matter) who saw removal as their only hope, many more viewed their homeland as something so sacred it could not be sold and bought, and in their eyes the actions of the pro-treaty party were tantamount to treason. Many Cherokee were familiar with tales of the Choctaw, whom had already experienced forced migrations to the west, and how thousands perished in a march characterized by “tears and death.” Not long after the removal treaty’s signing, many of the pro-treaty leaders became targets for assassination, with Major Ridge and the Watie Brothers soon among the dead. Over the following months conflicts between Cherokees and Whites increased in frequency and in severity, so much so that in March 1838 Georgia Governor George Gilmer ordered the State Militia to march on the Cherokee to force their removal.

Upon the arrival of news concerning Gilmer’s order to New Echota, Chief Guwisguwi gave an impassioned address to the National Council, advising his fellow Cherokee to take all measures to protect and defend themselves. The National Council in haste ordered the formation of several large war parties to meet the invading whites. While an action that was eagerly supported by Guwisguwi, many on the Council held mixed opinions, which only served to highlight the glaring tensions within Cherokee society, between those who favored removal and those opposed to forsake what little remained of their ancestral land. As conflict with the state grew ever more eminent, Cherokee emissaries confided with the Muskogee about allying with them in order to provide a united Indian front against Georgia. Chief Opothleyohola, leader of the Muskogee National Council, approved wholeheartedly with the idea, as secret negotiations between the Muskogee and their Seminole “cousins” in Florida were also under way.

It was in this chaotic atmosphere that two figures emerged in order to serve their respective nations, one Cherokee and one Muskogee. The former, named Colonneh (Cherokee for the Raven), seemed odd amongst his compatriots as he was white in complexion, but as the adopted son of Chief Ahuludegi and a notable warrior in his own right, he held notable influence amongst his fellow warriors. The latter was also a unique individual for his shared similarities to Colonneh, namely their shared adolescence as orphans. Unlike the Raven, however, the Muskogean, named Lyncoya, was indisputably of native parentage, and in his family’s regrettable absence was raised by Tennessee General Andrew Jackson alongside Jackson’s own natural-born son. After the general’s demise in Cuba, Lyncoya sought to honor his father’s legacy and in 1828 assumed the name Lyndon Conrad Jackson before enrolling at West Point. After his graduation in 1832 Lyndon returned to the Muskogee Nation, and after some time quickly rekindled his connection to his ancestral homeland, even going as far as marrying the daughter of Chief Opothleyohola.

The Georgia Militia, led by Brigadier-General Charles R. Floyd entered the Cherokee capital on March 26, 1838 to find not a soul extant, writing in his journal that “the Cherokee have allowed us entry into their town uncontested,” curiously noting the presence of charred pits, which he had assumed to be the fires observed by him and his troops the night before, as evidence of Cherokee warriors preparing for war. To their misfortune, the militia failed to detect the Cherokee ambush force hiding in the surrounding woods in time to effectively fight back. Charles Floyd was one of the first to die in the immediate melee, disorienting the Georgians long enough for Lyndon Jackson—now ranked as colonel—as well as Colonneh and the unified Muskogee/ Cherokee army to arrive and fully decimate the remaining militiamen in what became known as the Battle of New Echota (or the Floyd Massacre to the United States at-large). After their initial reversals in southern Georgia and Alabama, the Muskogee leadership and their Cherokee allies were ecstatic at the news of their victory in the face of Georgia’s blatant invasion. Reverie soon gave way to alarm however, when President Harrison (no friend of the Indian by any stretch of the imagination) ordered troops in South Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama to crush what he regarded as Indian rebellion.

Under normal circumstances the southeastern nations, despite their united front, would have ultimately succumbed to pressure brought to bear from both the various state and Federal governments. However, sudden American reversals in Canada against the British Empire completely changed everything…

Colonneh (1793-1848)

q7TnUqB.jpg

Colonneh in full Cherokee garb, ca. 1820

Originally given the name Samuel, Colonneh was born to American Revolutionary War veteran Major Samuel Houston and his wife Elizabeth in early 1793 in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. He received a modest education there before he moved with the rest of his family to the town of Maryville in southeastern Tennessee. This move was an effort by the elder Samuel to rid himself of debts accrued over time, mainly for his services in the Revolution, but in a twist of irony died before he could move with the family to their new home. Unwilling to work for his older brother in the family’s store, sixteen year old Sam ran away from home and joined a Cherokee band led by Chief Ahuludegi, whom took the young boy in as his own son and made him a member of the tribe. Sam, now renamed Colonneh, continued to visit his family in Maryville until 1811 when a major epidemic swept through the southern United States, killing his mother and many of his siblings.

While growing into a fine warrior among the Cherokee, Colonneh was also instrumental in the negotiations the tribe conducted with the Federal government during the 1820’s. He not only managed to secure favorable treaties for the Cherokee, he also persuaded his adoptive father to convince many of the Overhill Cherokee to remain in the east. This was accomplished largely with the support of Tenskwatawa, the notable Indian prophet who lived among the Muskogee following the death of his warrior brother Tecumseh in 1811.[1] The Prophet’s continued advocacy for intertribal unity in the face of encroaching whites amongst the “Five Civilized Tribes” convinced many Overhill Cherokee to relocate south into Georgia in order to supplant the southern Cherokee in the growing “Muscogee Confederacy” of the southeast.

In March 1838 Colonneh led Cherokee at the Battle of New Echota, where a combined Cherokee and Muskogee army encircled and crushed invading Georgia Militia, an event that ultimately sparked the deadly Muscogee War.[2] The United States’ recent entry into war with the United Kingdom gave the Indians just enough time to gather their strength and incur further reversals on Tennessee Militia at the Battle of Chickamauga that summer. The fighting only intensified shortly after the two belligerent Anglophone nation entered peace negotiations in mid-1839, when the Federal government transferred troops fresh from fighting in Canada and New England to the southeast. The Indians were slowly forced farther south, but in their wake they made sure to incur death and destruction to whites in southern Georgia and Alabama. Colonneh, along with fellow Indian military leaders Lyndon C. Jackson and Osceola retreated south into Florida Territory, where the United States Army would fight to an inconclusive end in 1844.

In accordance with the resulting Treaty of Fort White, reservations were established for the Cherokee and Muskogee on the Florida Peninsula, though several thousand continued to resist removal in the southern Appalachians. Both Colonneh and Jackson managed to flee American retribution, first to Cuba, then to Mexico. Both men would eventually settle in Tejas, where communities of Cherokee, Muskogee, Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians had already been established in the aftermath of Indian removal. Following the American invasion of Mexico in late 1845, Colonneh and Jackson organized the Muscogui Regiment, which joined Saint Patrick’s Battalion as the only other expatriate unit to fight for the Mexican Army during the war. Colonneh was notable for being present at all the major battles in the northeastern theater, including both battles at Béxar and Monterrey. Near the very end of the war, as Mexican troops marched into American Texas, Colonneh was mortally wounded south of Galveston on February 16, 1848. He was 55 years old.

Notes:

[1] Alternate Battle of Tippecanoe, where Tenskwatawa travels south to find more allies and Tecumseh stays at Prophetstown. Harrison still attacks as in OTL, and in the ensuing fight Tecumseh loses his life. afterwards Tenskwatawa opts to stay in the south, among his mother's kinsmen where he continues to push for inter-tribal unity.
[2] Seminole War on steroids.

Last edited:
Confederate Republic of America sounds somewhat like OTL's...yet different enough for my liking.

I know it's ultimately your choice, but since the ACW was the pivotal moment in American history where the popular perception of the country shifted from "United States of America" to "United States of America" (the refrain of the Battle Cry of Freedom is there to testify), isn't "Confederate Republic of America" a little too... unionist for a collection of governments in the pockets of elites who wanted little to no intereference from a central government? Or maybe it's just me who's giving them too much credit for the amount of thought they used to put in what they did lol.

Colonneh (1793-1848)

Oh, well... Apparently not even becoming a Cherokee war chief can keep Sam Houston away from Texas -- pardon, Tejas. And this one also dies in battle! I foresee a "martyred saint"-like status for Colonneh in the wider landscape of Native American culture.

I literally only just discovered this TL. Wow is all I can say :D Very cool.

Names of possible alt-Confederacies:

1) Bruce Munro used The Magnolia Confederation in one of his maps (about a mega-Gran Colombia). It or something like it always struck me as a kind of cool name.
2) The Allied States of America.
3) The Union of Independent American States (since states' rights is such a big deal).
4) Confederation of Columbian States/Confederated States of Columbia.

BTW: other question. ITTL, is it Mexico that's opened Japan to trade with the West?

I know it's ultimately your choice, but since the ACW was the pivotal moment in American history where the popular perception of the country shifted from "United States of America" to "United States of America" (the refrain of the Battle Cry of Freedom is there to testify), isn't "Confederate Republic of America" a little too... unionist for a collection of governments in the pockets of elites who wanted little to no intereference from a central government? Or maybe it's just me who's giving them too much credit for the amount of thought they used to put in what they did lol.

Oh, well... Apparently not even becoming a Cherokee war chief can keep Sam Houston away from Texas -- pardon, Tejas. And this one also dies in battle! I foresee a "martyred saint"-like status for Colonneh in the wider landscape of Native American culture.

Lol that's right, now I remember why I was weary of inserting republic into the name...forgive me it was 3am and I was very tired XD

At first I did think of having him go to American Texas, but then remembered I have two to choose from in TTL :D Indeed, Colonneh will be seen as a martyr amongst the Cherokee and many amongst the southeast Indians.

I literally only just discovered this TL. Wow is all I can say :D Very cool.

Names of possible alt-Confederacies:

1) Bruce Munro used The Magnolia Confederation in one of his maps (about a mega-Gran Colombia). It or something like it always struck me as a kind of cool name.
2) The Allied States of America.
3) The Union of Independent American States (since states' rights is such a big deal).
4) Confederation of Columbian States/Confederated States of Columbia.

BTW: other question. ITTL, is it Mexico that's opened Japan to trade with the West?

Thank you so much! I'm happy to hear you think my TL is cool :D

Those are some cool names too, I do recall seeing that map by Bruce, Magnolia does sound like a nice name for a country...almost feel bad about possibly using it for TTL's Confederacy lol.

I haven't gotten to Japan just yet, but I'm at that point in the timeline where the ripples have finally reached Asia. Mexico probably won't be the one to open up Japan, they'll be kinda busy for a while closer to home. With that said I do have special plans concerning Mexico and Japan in the future. As for whom opens up the Japanese, it'll most likely be the British or the French.

Thank you so much! I'm happy to hear you think my TL is cool :D

It is. I'm looking forward to future developments

Those are some cool names too, I do recall seeing that map by Bruce, Magnolia does sound like a nice name for a country...almost feel bad about possibly using it for TTL's Confederacy lol.

I see your point. It's like the Soviet National Anthem OTL - wasted on an awful regime :D Glad you liked the suggestions.

I haven't gotten to Japan just yet, but I'm at that point in the timeline where the ripples have finally reached Asia. Mexico probably won't be the one to open up Japan, they'll be kinda busy for a while closer to home. With that said I do have special plans concerning Mexico and Japan in the future. As for whom opens up the Japanese, it'll most likely be the British or the French.

Fair enough. It had just occurred to me because it was one very far-reaching thing the US did at this point in time, but ITTL it'd be impossible for them...

Also: will Mexican Hawaii be a thing, or is that covered under 'busy closer to home'?

Sam Houston, Native American liberator! Gotta say that is one original idea! Jajaja.

Seems like Florida will have a much larger Muskogee / Cherokee population and identity. With enough free blacks fleeing there it could become a native/black Republic if the US falls. Damn...

Keep it up man!

It is. I'm looking forward to future developments

I see your point. It's like the Soviet National Anthem OTL - wasted on an awful regime :D Glad you liked the suggestions.

Fair enough. It had just occurred to me because it was one very far-reaching thing the US did at this point in time, but ITTL it'd be impossible for them...

Also: will Mexican Hawaii be a thing, or is that covered under 'busy closer to home'?

Haha very true on the Soviet National Anthem XD

Yeah I think I put it best in the very last update concerning Mexico, that it's been through a lot the last 20 odd years (rebellions, a civil war, and surviving the American invasion) so it will take some time for Mexico to start making it's presence known on the world stage. We're nearing that juncture though so the wait shouldn't be too long now ^^

Ideally I'd love to keep Hawaii an independent kingdom to the present, but with that said a Mexican Hawaii is still on the table. There's certainly going to be a larger Mexican presence compared to OTL on the islands, especially once Mexico takes OTL USA's place as a Pacific power.

Keep it up, Arkhangelsk!:)

Thanks Archangel!!! :)

Sam Houston, Native American liberator! Gotta say that is one original idea! Jajaja.

Seems like Florida will have a much larger Muskogee / Cherokee population and identity. With enough free blacks fleeing there it could become a native/black Republic if the US falls. Damn...

Keep it up man!

Jajaja thanks man! I was a little apprehensive at first about doing such a radical change, but I liked it too much to pass up. Lol

Oh yes! That's part of the reason I opted to do this update first before I get into the ACW. Florida will be a very special place with the next couple of updates. ;)

The next couple of days I'll be in Los Angeles for Anime Expo, so TL progress will be very little. I'll try to work on it while I'm there, but definitely expect me to get straight to work on the first ACW update as soon as I get back Monday. Y'all take care, and for all my American friends, Happy Independence Day, have fun and be safe! :)

Been catching up with your timeline since the last week.

Consider me subscribed, amigo! ¡Viva México!

Awesome!!! I'm glad to have you aboard haha :D ¡Viva México!

I have the next update about 60% done, I hope to have it up by the end of this week unless my creative juices flow well today.