¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

Update! Whoot! :D

We already know that the U.S. wants Oregon back (here's hoping they fail miserably to do so), but what is the American policy as regards to Cuban independence? Relations must be terrible after a guy who Cuba supported ran rampant through the south.

Can't wait to see the fate of blacks now that the north supports punishing the white southerners.

Best. Update. EVER!

Damn, I love to see Dixieland BURN! And I love what you did with Gregorio, as well as the Mexicans and Comanche. I actially have similar ideas as to what I want the South's ultimate fate to be in my own TL... But it's a century away, so I have plenty of time to plan how I can top the brutality of the Black Liberation Army here!

Reconstruction

Reconstruction is going to be different with armed blacks with military experience occupying lands that have been 'cleansed'. Southern whites will flee to the west and other places without minorities. Plantations will be broken up and land reform will be a priority.

Reconstruction is going to be different with armed blacks with military experience occupying lands that have been 'cleansed'. Southern whites will flee to the west and other places without minorities. Plantations will be broken up and land reform will be a priority.
40 acres and a mule!

Deleted member 67076

And now the arduous task of Reconstruction begins. While the political aspect should be easy to do, given that the aristocracy of the South has been thoroughly gutted, the massive destruction in infrastructure is the real problem. (As us Latinos can attest, destruction of infrastructure is crippling)

This is going to be an economic sinkhole for the US- decades will be needed to finish rebuilding and make the region profitable once more. I've no doubt with immigration and industrialization this is going to get easier as time goes by, but the scar this will leave on the nation is going to be a big one.

Fantastic update! I'm delighted to see Oregon win, and go British, for that matter. I also like how the United States is basically pursuing the most dangerous and destructive approach to Reconstruction possible. It is satisfying in the most morbid of ways to see the Confederacy, which is wanked all too often, especially at Mexico's expense, be utterly destroyed by two Civil Wars and a failed invasion of Mexico. This timeline only gets more interesting every update.

War against foreign power is a way to heal internal strife by finding a common enemy to rally against, or so I think.

The rift that's going to be created by a Confederacy that managed 11 years of independence and was brutally reconquered and then denied representation and treated as conquered subjects isn't likely to heal terribly soon though, so another war with an opponent as formidable as the United Kingdom while still attempting Reconstruction might end in disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if Reconstruction lasted longer, in terms of decades. I do wonder how Mexico would perform if another war with the United States broke out, American growth had fairly outpaced Mexico OTL, but here it's presumably lessened, and Mexico could simply use guerilla fighting like last time, since a properly defended southwest could probably made absolutely hellish to invade (deserts/mountains).

The rift that's going to be created by a Confederacy that managed 11 years of independence and was brutally reconquered and then denied representation and treated as conquered subjects isn't likely to heal terribly soon though, so another war with an opponent as formidable as the United Kingdom while still attempting Reconstruction might end in disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if Reconstruction lasted longer, in terms of decades. I do wonder how Mexico would perform if another war with the United States broke out, American growth had fairly outpaced Mexico OTL, but here it's presumably lessened, and Mexico could simply use guerilla fighting like last time, since a properly defended southwest could probably made absolutely hellish to invade (deserts/mountains).

And with a radical like Fremont at the helm... Things will indeed get messy.

Gian

Banned
Say, I actually wonder what would be the new borders for the states once Reconstruction finishes?

World Map: 1868
No more Warring States of America?

And what happened to the Indians that joined Cortes?

I suppose you can say that, it's a rough parallel but I imagine the USA is entering its own version of the Edo jidai. The Civil Wars may be over, but I have plenty of interesting things planned for TTL America, so no worries ;)

As for the Indians, apologies for not including them in the update as much, most of the second half of this update was typed up the same night I posted it, and by the end I think I just wanted to get it posted, so my bad :p I'll cover them in depth on my next come around to the USA, but the skinny is...while they didn't "betray" Cortés, once the Confederates began to collapse, they (the Cherokee, Muskogee, Seminole, etc.) made it clear to the Union they weren't fighting against them. There's some interesting things that happen with them in the southeast which I regretfully omitted, but again I'll try my best to get a post-Civil War update done asap.

Well done Arkhangelsk, this is an amazing update.

Thank you Mwex!! :)

Yay! My house at least is free from yankee doodlism.

Yay to freedom!!! :cool:

Update! Whoot! :D

We already know that the U.S. wants Oregon back (here's hoping they fail miserably to do so), but what is the American policy as regards to Cuban independence? Relations must be terrible after a guy who Cuba supported ran rampant through the south.

Can't wait to see the fate of blacks now that the north supports punishing the white southerners.

Correctimundo, they certainly want Cuba back, as it's viewed as an integral part of the former Union. The only thing holding them back from invading the island is the Mexicans. I'll go into much greater detail about that tidbit in the next update, but Mexico has made it very clear that Cuba has a big strong friend at its back now, and despite victory against the South, the US isn't too keen to fight any more than it has had to already. But yeah, they're right pissed at what Cortés did and Cuba's involvement therein (they didn't actively support his adventure, but at the same time Havana didn't mind seeing him leave with his army, and providing the boats to make that happen).

Best. Update. EVER!

Damn, I love to see Dixieland BURN! And I love what you did with Gregorio, as well as the Mexicans and Comanche. I actially have similar ideas as to what I want the South's ultimate fate to be in my own TL... But it's a century away, so I have plenty of time to plan how I can top the brutality of the Black Liberation Army here!

Haha thanks so much man! Glad to hear you liked it :D

Oh I'd love to see your take on things once you reach that point in your timeline, if you ever wanna bounce ideas around don't be shy to P me. :)

You got that right! The North pretty much has no patience for the whims of the former planter elites, and with the radical changes to the demographics of the South, Reconstruction this time around will be very different. I plan for TTL's South to become a very different place indeed.

Well, that's going to lead to more long term divisions I reckon.

You can say that again. Unfortunately too much blood has been spilt, and the war was so brutal that too many people in the North aren't thinking clearly, all they want is some sort of retribution to be handed out. The War may be over but things aren't done getting "interesting" for the US, I'll tell you that much.

Good update, Arkhangelsk!:)
Hope the future holds equal opportunities for everyone ITTL USA.

Thanks Archangel! :) Without spoiling too much, true equality will indeed come eventually, but much like OTL it's gonna be one hell of a bumpy ride there.

And now the arduous task of Reconstruction begins. While the political aspect should be easy to do, given that the aristocracy of the South has been thoroughly gutted, the massive destruction in infrastructure is the real problem. (As us Latinos can attest, destruction of infrastructure is crippling)

This is going to be an economic sinkhole for the US- decades will be needed to finish rebuilding and make the region profitable once more. I've no doubt with immigration and industrialization this is going to get easier as time goes by, but the scar this will leave on the nation is going to be a big one.

You are very right about that my friend. The political aspect will be fixed up rather quickly, but TTL's Reconstruction will take a very long time, both in rebuilding and in "proper reintegration" into the Union. The South is in no position to make demands, and if they haven't figured that out yet they will soon enough. Frémont is gonna make sure his Reconstruction plans are carried out to the letter. Encouraging immigrants to resettle the South will definitely be a priority for the government, with the hope that they help spur industrial development there.

Fantastic update! I'm delighted to see Oregon win, and go British, for that matter. I also like how the United States is basically pursuing the most dangerous and destructive approach to Reconstruction possible. It is satisfying in the most morbid of ways to see the Confederacy, which is wanked all too often, especially at Mexico's expense, be utterly destroyed by two Civil Wars and a failed invasion of Mexico. This timeline only gets more interesting every update.

Thanks!! Lol yes, as soon as the British saw the opportunity to "steal back" the whole of Oregon from the Americans, they jumped on it. Haha you and me both! I couldn't wait to get to this point in the timeline in part to subvert the usual way the CSA get's treated on this site and in AH in general...and it was very satisfying writing about their not so graceful fall. :D Again thankies :)

Given the Confederate fate is settled, I assume we may be heading towards a third Anglo-American War.

There will most definitely be a third war between the US and Britain, but not for a good while. The US is still pretty wrecked from over a decade of brutal warfare and needs time to recharge...no matter how badly they wanna fuck the Brits up.

Man, Reconstruction is going to be a Bitch this time around.

Oh you have no idea...:D

Say, I actually wonder what would be the new borders for the states once Reconstruction finishes?

I've been tinkering with new borders for the southern states for a long while now. Some states, like those that were reoccupied early on (like Missouri and Kentucky) will get off "relatively lightly," but still see loss in territory. Everyone else is pretty much fucked. With that said, the final map of all the new states won't be up for a while I'm afraid, not until Reconstruction is officially over.

Now as I try to get some work done on my first Mexico update in over a year (goddamn!!!), here's a mappity map, the world at the start of 1868, right after the Surrender at Lawrenceville.

imyUdeI.png

Hmm. A State of Franklin in East Tennessee seems pretty certain here, though it may spill beyond that, possibly a unified Carolina as well.

I'm gonna love to see a Reconstruction spearheaded by Radical Republicans under Fremont!

I also hope that, with a more militarized black population, we may see groups of blacks forming anti-kkk squads or tracking lynching mobs for some payback (or in case of entire towns, burning them down!).