¡Por la Patria, Viva México Fuerte! A Mexican TL

I finally achieved to get a new Tablet (and it's a Windows Tablet, which will allow me to use Word and not to half-ass it with an iPad), and I used it to finally catch up with the new events on this timeline, especially after how unconfortable is to post on a mobile phone and that my laptop is gone for good.

And I am not disappointed! This is really impressive. Now, this time around, I do see that prhaps we can actually get the Habsburgs have a more decent shot at actually manage to unify Germany, whifch is awesome in its own special way. Also, Russia's epic fail on the Balkans was also impressive.

And in spite of all that mess that transpired, I got off with a few doubts:

1. What happened with the rebellion from Congress Poland?
  2. How did the Danes fared in Holstein? I can imagine that this might make any pan-Scandinavian sentiment a bit different from OTL, and on the map they are still holding Svlesig and Holstein.
  3. Is Belgium going to split or not?
Anyway, happy belated birthday and I hope you have a great year filled with awesome updates.

I finally achieved to get a new Tablet (and it's a Windows Tablet, which will allow me to use Word and not to half-ass it with an iPad), and I used it to finally catch up with the new events on this timeline, especially after how unconfortable is to post on a mobile phone and that my laptop is gone for good.

And I am not disappointed! This is really impressive. Now, this time around, I do see that prhaps we can actually get the Habsburgs have a more decent shot at actually manage to unify Germany, whifch is awesome in its own special way. Also, Russia's epic fail on the Balkans was also impressive.

And in spite of all that mess that transpired, I got off with a few doubts:

1. What happened with the rebellion from Congress Poland?
  2. How did the Danes fared in Holstein? I can imagine that this might make any pan-Scandinavian sentiment a bit different from OTL, and on the map they are still holding Svlesig and Holstein.
  3. Is Belgium going to split or not?
Anyway, happy belated birthday and I hope you have a great year filled with awesome updates.

Congrats on the new tablet man, sounds like a great upgrade haha :D Thanks!! Writing about the Germanies has been fun, and I've always been a fan of making Max Emperor of Austria ;)

Now for your questions:
1. Congress Poland never rebelled TTL in 1830, so the pressure against Russification has been bottling up for a lot longer. Unfortunately Russia will eventually prevail in crushing this revolt (along with a simultaneous one occurring in the Ukraine.
2. At the Treaty of Paris ending the war Holstein was annexed by Prussia while Denmark retained Schleswig. I'll check the map again I think I might have accidentally included the prewar border. :eek:
3. Belgium is still part of the Netherlands TTL. The 1848 Constitution really took care of most of the Catholic's grievances, so they're pretty content to stay with the Dutch.

Admittedly that last update probably created as many questions as it may have answered, but my next update (which has been slow in coming due to work but I'm making slow progress!) will try to delve a little deeper into postwar Europe.

Thanks for the birthday wished! :) Likewise I hope your year is great and filled with updates as well :D

I have read this timeline in its entirety, and would firstly like to say that considering that German and Irish immigrants are heading to Mexico rather than the US, its very likely my great grandfather (or perhaps his parents or grandparents) might have ended up in Mexico. An interesting thought for me to chew on.

Now, I would like to say that I am hoping that the US manages to continue to exist in some form. I don't mind it getting nerfed, but getting torn apart completely would be kind of sad. Plus, it might give Britain the chance to regain some more power and influence in the future.

I am looking forward to the Civil war, however, I would like to ask if you intend to do anything special for the Mayans. Considering the Comanche will be getting some sort of special treatment, it'd be nice to see them receiving such as well.

Speaking of the Comanche, I don't know why, but now I want to see them with their own version of Ghenghis Khan, leading them to dominate the whole of South-Western North America.

I have read this timeline in its entirety, and would firstly like to say that considering that German and Irish immigrants are heading to Mexico rather than the US, its very likely my great grandfather (or perhaps his parents or grandparents) might have ended up in Mexico. An interesting thought for me to chew on.

Now, I would like to say that I am hoping that the US manages to continue to exist in some form. I don't mind it getting nerfed, but getting torn apart completely would be kind of sad. Plus, it might give Britain the chance to regain some more power and influence in the future.

I am looking forward to the Civil war, however, I would like to ask if you intend to do anything special for the Mayans. Considering the Comanche will be getting some sort of special treatment, it'd be nice to see them receiving such as well.

Speaking of the Comanche, I don't know why, but now I want to see them with their own version of Ghenghis Khan, leading them to dominate the whole of South-Western North America.

Oh very interesting! :) The timeline's approaching that point I think where I'll start having to use more "fictional" people. I'll probably wait a couple more decades within the timeline to start asking for cameos, but if you're interested feel free to PM me.

As for the United States, I will say that it won't get torn apart (not totally anyway), but it will be a pretty shattered country once the ACW is over. On the Mayans, they'll definitely be working with Mexico City to get a similar deal as the Comanche. I haven't focused on the Yucatan in a while, but the Mayans have been agitating for the last few decades against the Mexican government, though it's nothing on the scale of the Caste Wars.

That sounds like badass AH material! I love that idea. :cool:

Oh very interesting! :) The timeline's approaching that point I think where I'll start having to use more "fictional" people. I'll probably wait a couple more decades within the timeline to start asking for cameos, but if you're interested feel free to PM me.

Already done.

As for the United States, I will say that it won't get torn apart (not totally anyway), but it will be a pretty shattered country once the ACW is over. On the Mayans, they'll definitely be working with Mexico City to get a similar deal as the Comanche. I haven't focused on the Yucatan in a while, but the Mayans have been agitating for the last few decades against the Mexican government, though it's nothing on the scale of the Caste Wars.
Good to know on both counts. I actually am a big fan of the Maya, and it would be cool to see them get a sort of Autonomous state within Mexico. Maybe such could bring about a sort of Mayan Cultural revival that could spur similar interest in the rest of Mexico for the other Mesoamerican cultures.

That sounds like badass AH material! I love that idea. :cool:
I'm honestly not sure how one would do it, or if the Comanche are even the right Natives of the area to attempt such with. The idea just popped in and isn't going away lol.

EDIT: Also, I join the chorus of people wishing for more updates!

Last edited:
Already done.

Good to know on both counts. I actually am a big fan of the Maya, and it would be cool to see them get a sort of Autonomous state within Mexico. Maybe such could bring about a sort of Mayan Cultural revival that could spur similar interest in the rest of Mexico for the other Mesoamerican cultures.

I'm honestly not sure how one would do it, or if the Comanche are even the right Natives of the area to attempt such with. The idea just popped in and isn't going away lol.

EDIT: Also, I join the chorus of people wishing for more updates!

*1,000 years later* :eek:

I'm a fan of them myself, and in particular I love the idea of giving them their little autonomous area and spur some sort of cultural revival. I like that thought actually, it having repercussion in other parts of Mexico and lead to a true embracing of it's pre-Columbian past.

The Comanche are taking advantage of what had been a very fluid political atmosphere in Mexico. They are beginning to feel the effects of disease like in OTL, but here they were pretty instrumental in aiding the new government to power, so they have little problems getting concessions from the Mexicans (namely guarantee of Comanche autonomy and to basically be left the fuck alone). In return they serve essentially as border patrol to keep the perfidious Yanks out, which in turn allows for Mexico to focus on integrating the rest of the northern territories. At least that's what I have in mind.

I wanna say I'm like 75-80% done with the next update. It's been crazy slow cuz of my two jobs, as well as my endeavors to return to going to the gym on a regular basis. There aren't enough hours in the day goddammit!!!

Well, at least you're reporting in to let us know that this timeline is not lost. Good luck with your current chapter, hope you get it soon enough.

The Post-Revolutionary Settlement in Europe and Abroad: 1852-1858
Hey guys, the last few weeks have been really crazy at work, and coupled with my return to uni and a abundance of crazy family business has left me with very little creative time. It sucks cuz I've had this update pretty much at about 90% for the last few weeks, but every time I tried to get to work on it my old buddy writer's block would barge in and tell me "haha fuck you!"

With all that said, I finally have it done!!! I'd be brimming with joy but admittedly this update isn't all that special. It's just a quick overview of what's going on in other parts of the world that I haven't been able to cover (Eastern Europe mostly, along with a peek at Australia, India and Africa). With this I pretty much have the whole world caught up to the latest point in TTL, I'll be doing one more update on South America and then it's on to the ACW.

The Post-Revolutionary Settlement in Europe and Abroad: 1852-1858

mSVEEoC.jpg

Polish Insurgents ready to fight

Europe saw dynamic changes during the early 1850’s, with calm more or less returning to the continent by around the year 1855. The order which had existed prior to 1848 was now permanently shattered. Central Europe arguably saw the most change, as the forty-odd member states of the now defunct German Confederation were nearly all divided amongst the regional powers. Despite losing the war, the Kingdom of Prussia perhaps saw the most territorial growth, primarily in the Thuringian states, Mecklenburg, Holstein and the southern reaches of the Kingdom of Hannover.

The rump Hannover also relinquished its westernmost territories to the new Kingdom of the Rhineland, which included the former Prussian provinces of the Rhine and Westphalia, as well as the Hessian territories, Oldenburg, a rump northern Baden and various other adjoining statelets. The Frankfurt National Assembly, which now functioned as the new kingdom’s legislative organ, considered for some time several candidates for a new monarch from amongst the German nobility (many of whom felt dispossessed in the aftermath of the war) before settling on Adolf, Duke of Nassau. On May 20, 1852 Adolf was crowned by the National Assembly as King of the Rhineland and Westphalia, in a grandiose ceremony in Frankfurt. The Rhinelanders by and large felt proud of their new-found independence, though some felt abashed for grudgingly supporting an allied occupational force, as per the Treaty of Paris. Composed mostly of French and British troops, the occupation army faced some opposition from the local population, though most managed to understand their role in protecting the kingdom from any potential attack from Prussia, and reconciled the indignation until the allies withdrew in 1854.

To the south in Austria, newly crowned Emperor Maximilian pressed himself to his limit in order to keep the ancient empire from total collapse. Despite the loss roughly half of its prewar territory, Vienna counted its blessings for retaining Bohemia and Venetia-Lombardy. Following the Treaty of Pressburg, Maximilian defied his conservative councilors and formally gave his royal assent for a new constitution. Among other things, the constitution established a formal parliament, called the Reichsrat, which was loosely based on its British counterpart. Bicameral in nature, the Reichsrat consisted of an upper House of Lords, or Herrenhaus, and a lower House of Deputies.[1]

Prior to his assassination Franz Josef had recently started courting Duchess Elisabeth, daughter to Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria. It seemed rather obvious that the new Emperor would continue the courtship and ensure that the House of Wittelsbach and the House of Habsburg-Lorraine unite in holy matrimony, thus solidifying a strategic alliance with the Bavarians. To his credit, Maximilian seemingly cared for Elisabeth’s emotional well-being, and before long the two were in love and set to marry, despite misgivings from Maximilian’s mother.[2] The royal wedding was held near Hofburg Palace in the Augustinerkirche, and the resultant extravagant festivities lit up Vienna for several days and nights.

rJWbIBb.jpg

Pál I of the House of Esterhazy, King of Hungary

Just as the Austrians celebrated the end to war and the marriage of their new Emperor, so too did the Hungarians celebrate the end to war and in it, rejoiced at their redeemed independence. Following the war Hungary was ruled by Regent-President Lajos Kossuth and an ad hoc parliament, in an arrangement informally known as the Hungarian Republic. A new constitution promulgated in 1854 formally established Hungary into a constitutional monarchy, and tasked the parliament with electing a new monarch. Kossuth was a popular choice amongst the masses for their nation’s new king, but he warmly rebuked the offer. Various foreign candidates were also fielded, but the newly elected parliament (referred to as the Országgyűlés, or National Assembly), eventually settled on a member of the Magyar nobility. In the spring of 1855, Prince Pál III Esterházy, one of the wealthiest nobles in all of Hungary, was invested with the Crown of Saint Stephen and formally became King of Hungary, styling himself as Pál I.[3]

Across the Carpathian Mountains the flames of war and rebellion still burned intensely as ever. Roughly half a century of Russification attempts by Tsarist authorities in Congress Poland served only to antagonize the Polish population into open rebellion. Previous attempts at rebellion in 1830, 1846 and 1849 either failed before they could even manage to begin, or would swiftly meet a grizzly end at the hand of the Tsarist secret police. The Poles’ inability to regain their independence (especially in light of the successful nationalist movements in Hungary and the Rhineland) only emboldened them to rebel in any way possible against Russian influence. This was not only prevalent thought amongst militant Poles, as artists and other members of the Polish intelligentsia also demonstrated in their own ways their desire for independence. Polish composer Frédéric Chopin was famous for his distinctly Polish style and ironically all the rage in Saint Petersburg. The Romantic Movement inspired nationalist sentiment in artists all across Europe, and amongst the Poles it was all the more fervent for their denied nationhood.

By the early 1850’s tensions flared up once more, as mass demonstrations and riots swept throughout the former Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Tsar Nikolai had not taken the humiliating loss of his nation to the western allies’ very well, his legacy forever tainted with the destruction of Russia’s façade of invincibility. After contracting pneumonia in early 1854, Nikolai succumbed to his illness and Tsarevich Aleksandr ascended to the throne as Aleksandr II.[4] All too aware of Russia’s failings being a consequence of its relative backwardness in relation to the rest of Europe, the new Tsar immediately moved to establish various reforms, among them enforcing universal military conscription laws. This proved to be a condition that many Poles loathed wholeheartedly. The Russian Viceroy in Warsaw, Ivan Paskevich, in an attempt to restore order introduced martial law in October 1855, but the unrest only worsened after an assembly observing the 60th anniversary of the Third Partition quickly escalated into bloody riots that left much of Warsaw engulfed in flames and smoke. Sensing that their window to act was closing, Polish diaspora across Europe tried to attract the support of the other powers against Russia in a future war. There was a great deal of popular support across much of Europe for the Polish cause, but every single power ultimately refused to pledge to any sort of binding alliance. At this point, Polish nationalists in Russia began courting the other nationalities within the former Commonwealth—the Lithuanians and Ruthenians—for a united uprising against the Russians.

xVBPN5N.png

The Coat of Arms of the Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth

In January 1856 various radical groups started meeting in secret in all of former Poland’s major cities, from Warsaw, to Vilnius, to Minsk, to Lviv, where plans for a provisional Polish government were organized. Their plans included a complete and total severance of ties with Russia, to be followed by the election of one from amongst the szlachta to succeed Tsar Aleksandr II as King of Poland. The kingdom’s territory was to include all the lands held by the Commonwealth in 1772, prior to the First Partition, though there was never any meaningful attempt to assert claims to territories in Prussia. Arms and ammunition were hoarded into clandestine stockpiles for the day the revolution was to begin, the exact date itself was set for the first day of July—the anniversary of the Union of Lublin and the creation of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The date was symbolic of Poland’s golden age and served as inspiration for the resurrection of the Polish state. As these things often play out however, circumstances changed in a very short period of time.

On the evening of March 25, an Okhrana spy caught several Polish conspirators transporting weapons and gunpowder into a safe house in Sieradz, near the Prussian border, and in the ensuing conflict those same gunpowder stores ignited, taking with it the safe house, secret police, and most of the conspirators. One man somehow managed to survive the explosion, and charged with adrenaline rode on horseback 250 miles through the night in order to warn the provisional government in Warsaw. The following morning, March 26, the Provisional Government issued a manifesto calling on all of “Poland’s sons” to take a stand and fight.

Though there were years of careful preparation at play, the sudden and unplanned commencement of the uprising nearly doomed it to fail from the very start. Many insurgent cells were compromised early on either due to betrayal to the Tsarists, or failure to overcome their superior forces on the field. Saint Petersburg also called into motion a secret agreement previously made with Berlin, where Prussia would aid Russia in the event of a Polish uprising. Aid they did, crushing insurgents in western Poland before halting east of Łódź and forming a crescent-shaped front from Płock in the north down to the Silesian border. By the end of April the Polish Insurgents had managed to control a core territory around the cities of Warsaw, Radom, Lublin and Siedlce, but they were all too aware that their lives would not last long unless more aid was forthcoming.

kM86MDd.jpg

Polish Insurgents fighting outside Radom

In May the Lithuanians formally entered the conflict, managing to inflict an amazing victory over a large Prussia and Russian force near Grodno, and subsequently linked with Warsaw and the other core territories. Several weeks later western Galicia joined the revolution on the heels of an official proclamation abolishing serfdom in this new Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth. This recent development allowed essential supplies to reach the beleaguered Polish Insurgents by way of neutral Hungary.[5] This allowed the revolution to persist for several months, as unrest perforated other parts of Russia, including non-Polish areas such as the capital and Moscow. In some cases ethnic Russians sympathetic to the Poles offered any support they could muster. Unfortunately the strong nationalist character of the rebellion alienated many Russians, and by early 1857 what little territory the new Commonwealth controlled was slowly whittled away by the Russian military onslaught. To make matters worse, the Tsar managed to undercut peasant support of the rebellion by offering a more lucrative emancipation settlement than the Polish Provisional Government had offered.

The Polish-Lithuanian forces in the north were finally defeated one year later after a bloody war of attrition that left much of Lithuania a smoldering ruin. Congress Poland met a similar fate several months later. The Insurgent forces gave up Warsaw rather than fight on in order to spare its populace the worst of the fighting, but upon the realization by the Russians that several members of the Commonwealth’s provisional government had escaped into Hungary, proceeded to sack the Polish capital. Tsar Aleksandr II spared little mercy on the Polish people and on the szlachta in particular for its role in spearheading the rebellion. Russian was made the sole official language of the empire, and to solidify the notion that Poland was to forever be nothing more than a historical footnote, the Congress Kingdom was formally dissolved and incorporated into Russia proper as the “western provinces.”

The rest of Europe was by and large quite, with the occasional rumble. The Italian peninsula inched closer to unification with the creation of the Italian League in 1857, which included the leading Italian powers of Piedmont-Sardinia and Naples, as well as other minor duchies and even the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia within the Austrian Empire.[6] In Spain, all was well for once. Despite some unrest in 1848 caused by disenchanted workers in Catalonia, Spain under King Juan III experienced unparalleled peace for the first time in decades.[7] Under the directive of various moderate and progressive governments, Spain finally began to industrialize and reform, and with newfound resolve it formally entered the colonization game with claims made on the north-western corner of Australia in the late 1850’s. This created tension with the French Empire, as the territory in question was also claimed by them, though French control extended little outside the ports of Duperrey and Blosseville.[8]

UaiNUJK.jpg

Kharak Singh, Maharajah of the Punjab

Dynamic events reverberated throughout the Indian Ocean basin as well. After a century of uninterrupted territorial expansion in India, the British were set back for the first time by the Khalsa of the Punjab. Fears that the Sikh Empire built up by Ranjit Singh would collapse following his death in 1841 proved to be unfounded. After a short period of political uncertainty, the new Maharajah Kharak Singh managed to successfully unite the various court factions under his rule and cement it all with a glorious victory against a mismanaged British-Bengali invasion of his kingdom.[9] Kharak Singh also managed to sow the seeds for the Punjab’s industrialization by inviting foreign investors in the early 1850’s. Across the sea another kingdom mirrored some of the reforms and initiatives pursued by the Sikhs. King Radama of Madagascar continued the course of his own reform program, even in the face of an attempted coup d’état against his rule in 1829. A notorious alcoholic, Radama nearly succumbed to alcoholic poisoning, and in light of his presumed death a royal wife by the name of Ramavo attempted to kill the heir presumptive and claim the crown for herself. Radama recovered however and had the usurper executed, after which there was little opposition to Merina rule throughout Madagascar, save for independent pockets in the south and west of the island.[10]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:
[1] This is no October Diploma, and while it's not a democrat's wet dream either Max has managed to bring Austria closer to constitutional monarchy.
[2] Max's momma was never all that nice to Sisi, but unlike FJ I imagine Max would connect with her more, it may make her stay at the Hofburg a little better.
[3] Credit for this to Noblesse Oblige and his knowledge of Hungarian nobility, thanks so much!!! :D Indeed this is the same Pal III Esterhazy that served as the Hungarian Foreign Minister in OTL 1848.
[4] In OTL Nicolas I died during the Crimean War, here he dies several years after its conclusion...though here in TTL he dies about a year early.
[5] The Hungarian government officially holds a neutral position in the Polish war for independence, though popular support for the Poles runs high. So high most Hungarians don't mind having arms and supplies traverse their territory to reach the Polish insurgents. This vital lfeline to the outside world allows the Poles to hold out for as long as they managed.
[6] Yup, pretty much an Italian version of the German Confederation.
[7] I never really got to explaining what happens in Spain during the 1840's. Basically Juan III grows increasingly liberal after the regency council splits in 1840. In 1847 Prime Minister Espartero is outsted by the Moderates with support from the King, and these same Moderate governments have been busy fixing the Spanish economy in a manner similar to the uplift Spain got in the 1850's OTL, but on a greater scale.
[8] Duperrey is more or less OTL Perth, Blosseville is Albany.
[9] The Sikhs in TTL avoid the internal turmoil that arose in the wake of Ranjit Singh's death (aided here by his two extra years at life), so when the British invade just like they did OTL the Sikh's skilled army (the Khalsa) will make quick work of the invasion force.
[10] Ranavalona fails this time, and with her out of the way Radama gets the hint and takes it easy on the drink. He get's another 15 years for it, where he holds the kingdom together while also preparing his heir Rakotobe for the rigors of ruling.

World Map: 1857
As an added bonus, here's a map of the world as of 1857.

[EDIT] I fixed the map to include Sikh control over Kashmir, as well as added the division between Peru and Ecuador.

IKrlGve.png

Last edited:
I know it seems really bleak for Poland right now, but considering they failed at independence in the 19th century OTL, I wouldn't count them out just yet ;)
Hope to see them regaining their independence.
Judging by the Imperial Russian policies, the end of the Russian Empire might come faster and more troubled, since minorities will be more radicalized.

Interesting developments in Europe. Map quibble: the Sikhs OTL took Kashmir from the Afghans in 1819 and made Jammu a vassal in the 18th century, and held on to these until their defeat by the British.

Interesting developments in Europe. Map quibble: the Sikhs OTL took Kashmir from the Afghans in 1819 and made Jammu a vassal in the 18th century, and held on to these until their defeat by the British.

Ah you're right my good sir! Now that I think about I did read something about Ranjit Singh taking Kashmir and it went over my head somehow. :eek: I'll fix the map, thanks for the heads up.

Bio#4: Domingo Nieto
Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and let you guys know the status of the next update. I'm estimating it's about 60-65% done, and with some free time that I currently have I might be able to get some serious progress done tonight. For your patience, I'll leave y'all with another mini-bio, to prelude the update proper.

Domingo Nieto (1803- )

N4gB0fY.jpg

Lietenant Colonel Nieto in the 1830's

Domingo Nieto y Márquez, 1st Duke of Trujillo, the son of criollo nobility (as well as descended from Incan nobility on his mother’s side), was a relatively fortunate child, spending most of his adolescence attending school in his native Moquegua, a small coastal village in southern Perú. Growing up in the shadow of the Revolutionary Wars, Nieto was unique from his peers for his sympathetic attitude in regard to the independence wars, and in particular the rights of the lower castes. Despite this, Nieto would rush to the aid of the Viceroyalty during the Colombian invasions of the early 1820’s, where his constant and swift successes soon promoted him to the rank of Captain.[1] It was at this time that he also was awarded a grandeeship, becoming the 1st Duke of Trujillo for his recapture of the republican stronghold in the name of King Carlos V.

Even during peacetime Nieto proved to be a valuable asset to the Spanish military, continuing his rapid ascent through the chain of command while providing valuable social and geographical insight on northern Perú. On the eve of Spain’s invasion of Gran Colombia in 1827, Nieto held the rank of comandante. The invasion provided the young Comandant with his only assortment of defeats he would recieve in his career, at the hands of the famed General Sucre, though his retention of Ecuador would earn him further promotion to Lieutenant Colonel at the age of 24.

Nieto would spend most of the 1840’s shuttling between his home in Arequipa and work in Lima. In 1847 newly appointed Viceroy Valdés assigned Nieto, now Brigadier general, to serve as Captain General of the newly constituted Captaincy General of Ecuador. It was a job Nieto soon came to loathe, though it was never in dispute that his mere presence on the border with Nueva Grenada deterred any threat from the north. Always keen to recognize revolutionary technology, it was on Nieto’s recommendation that Spain adopted the Labandera hipopótamo submarine to use in the field.[2]

By the dawn of the 1850’s Nieto, now a respected general, began to grow increasingly wary of Spain’s glacial pace at reform. While the colony slowly began to prosper for the first time in decades, it still seemed as if very little had changed since the days of the Revolutionary Wars, and in fact life for many mestizo and indigenous Peruvians had only grown worse in the intervening years. Ruling in the king’s name proved too much for Viceroy Valdés, as his brief reformist streak soon gave way to corruption and stagnation. Nieto began entertaining notions that Perú would be better served by a more capable leader, and this time it was an opinion that he shared with a fair number of his fellow peers.

Notes:

[1] In OTL Nieto joined Bolívar at 18 during his campaigning in Peru and thereafter became a notable military commander in his own, eventually becoming President in the 1840's. TTL he makes the fateful decision to not join the rebels (this time around Bolívar was in his death bed on the eve of Nieto's 18th birthday) and so it's the Spanish that benefit from his presence.
[2] Credit to Cuāuhtemōc for this lovely gem. Labandera and his partner managed to create a functioning submarine in Equador in 1837 OTL, but lack of support eventually caused the project to founder. Nieto swoops in TTL to prevent that from happening in the nick of time. ;)

Last edited: