Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda. Disney will be placing a greater focus on the home video market ITTL, with the first movies in Walt Disney's Animated Classics releasing in the summer of 1980. The lineup IOTL was live-action films, but Walt sees that the better option is his beloved animated classics. When the sales go through the roof, Disney will rush the rest of their film library our the door. (Oh, and the Vault will not exist, either. Provided you know where to look, you should always be able to buy any major Disney movie in some store ITTL.)

(salivates) Me likey, me likey.

On a more pleasant note, I caught that the initial lineup was in chronological order of their theatrical releases. Was this purely intentional?

And another thing, will all those movies be uncut upon their releases?

Kinda. Disney will be placing a greater focus on the home video market ITTL, with the first movies in Walt Disney's Animated Classics releasing in the summer of 1980. The lineup IOTL was live-action films, but Walt sees that the better option is his beloved animated classics. When the sales go through the roof, Disney will rush the rest of their film library our the door. (Oh, and the Vault will not exist, either. Provided you know where to look, you should always be able to buy any major Disney movie in some store ITTL.)
https://giphy.com/gifs/slow-clap-dOJt6XZlQw8qQ

(salivates) Me likey, me likey.

On a more pleasant note, I caught that the initial lineup was in chronological order of their theatrical releases. Was this purely intentional?

And another thing, will all those movies be uncut upon their releases?
Yes to both of those. Notably, all of The Reluctant Dragon, live-action studio tour included, will be present on the VHS. Later, Song of the South on VHS will be controversial in its racist portions, but when 'special features' come around Disney will include a commentary over the film pointing out how today's generations can learn from the past's mistakes, which will instead turn the movie into an educational experience on how the world used to work, why that was flawed, and how the world has and will change for the better in the face of something like Song of the South.

1980 is pretty early for Disney to embrace VHS recordings unless VHS player sales are going much better than OTL. Only 6% of US homes had a VHS player in 1982 and 1986 had 33% of homes with them. The pool of available VHS purchasers is pretty shallow in 1980-1981.
OTL Disney--considerably less invested in thinking forwards--also embraced VHS in 1980 to a degree, releasing fourteen titles including Mary Poppins, Pete's Dragon, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea before the year's end. And then there's the fact that Walt was and is consistently fascinated by new technologies and wants to get into them as soon as possible.

Also, Disney was one of the major factors in bringing huge numbers of TVs into American homes with their Disneyland show on ABC, which started appearing in 1954. Who's to say Disney can't do it again?

nbcman

Donor
OTL Disney--considerably less invested in thinking forwards--also embraced VHS in 1980 to a degree, releasing fourteen titles including Mary Poppins, Pete's Dragon, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea before the year's end. And then there's the fact that Walt was and is consistently fascinated by new technologies and wants to get into them as soon as possible.

Also, Disney was one of the major factors in bringing huge numbers of TVs into American homes with their Disneyland show on ABC, which started appearing in 1954. Who's to say Disney can't do it again?
Then you might want to butterfly away this Disney / Universal lawsuit in the mid-1970s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._of_America_v._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc.

And have Disney partnering with one or more of the early VHS manufacturers to assist the new technology penetrating the US market. Because the cost of VCRs in the early 1980s were $800 - $1000 or over $3000 in 2019 dollars. That price point makes it pretty unimaginable for most families to have one at those prices during the recession EDIT: that lasted until 1982-3 in the US.

Last edited:
Hey Hex will Donald trump end up being a part of this timeline.
Ummmm... Imma answer this question swiftly and succinctly, so as to not birth a thread-locking flamewar.

As a businessman/TV personality? Yes. He might be mentioned, but he'll never garner a special focus in any updates.

As a politician? No, just because I think he was such an OTL wildcard and a rather unexpected entry into the presidential race that a TL where butterflies are a flappin' in the 1970s is unlikely to have him show up in that capacity.

No further questions about Trump or anyone else past Obama for that matter, please, I'd like to avoid current politics as much as possible. (Cause, you know, that is the rule.)

Ummmm... Imma answer this question swiftly and succinctly, so as to not birth a thread-locking flamewar.

As a businessman/TV personality? Yes. He might be mentioned, but he'll never garner a special focus in any updates.

As a politician? No, just because I think he was such an OTL wildcard and a rather unexpected entry into the presidential race that a TL where butterflies are a flappin' in the 1970s is unlikely to have him show up in that capacity.

No further questions about Trump or anyone else past Obama for that matter, please, I'd like to avoid current politics as much as possible. (Cause, you know, that is the rule.)

Will the donald try to invest in entertainment like movies and theme park

Will the donald try to invest in entertainment like movies and theme park

I don't see why he would. He could still end up as a pop culture personality, just as he was before 2016 IOTL, but the choice to not have him feature as a prominent part of the TL is perfectly sound.

Hey HeX,

Dumb question, but will Less Than Zero still be made, and if so, will it have substantially the same cast, and a soundtrack by The Bangles? It was that film that got Robert Downey, Jr. on his worst bad habit, and that cover of Hazy Shade of Winter was the Bangles' second best song of their original time together.

Also, will Orson Scott Card still sell The Lost Boys to Warner Brothers, and if so, will it's soundtrack still cause InXS to break out of Australia into the American Mainstream, pioneering the second wave of horror themed Shock Rock of the likes of White Zombie, Alice in Chains, The Toadies, and Glen Danzig's solo career?

Hey HeX,

Dumb question, but will Less Than Zero still be made, and if so, will it have substantially the same cast, and a soundtrack by The Bangles? It was that film that got Robert Downey, Jr. on his worst bad habit, and that cover of Hazy Shade of Winter was the Bangles' second best song of their original time together.
Less Than Zero will still probably be made, seeing as it's based on a novel. But it's cast will likely be different, so that means RDJ won't get addicted to drugs.

And suddenly, a whole new world is opened to me for ideas...

Also, will Orson Scott Card still sell The Lost Boys to Warner Brothers, and if so, will it's soundtrack still cause InXS to break out of Australia into the American Mainstream, pioneering the second wave of horror themed Shock Rock of the likes of White Zombie, Alice in Chains, The Toadies, and Glen Danzig's solo career?
...Maybe. By the 1990s, the landscape of Hollywood will be very different. And to be honest, I haven't planned out the 1990s in depth yet.

Hello! I hope you're all enjoying the unfolding saga of Laughin' Place: Redefining Disney. It's been a wild ride so far, and I have some big plans for the future. Thanks also to all the people who have contributed to the timeline.

Unfortunately, I just hit a severe case of writer's block, and things in this universe just aren't coming to me any more. I'd been planning on taking a hiatus for the summer, so I think that'll start now. I might return earlier, if a sudden spark of inspiration takes me over, but right now, expect regular updates to resume in mid-to-late-August.

I apologize for it just coming out of the blue, but rest assured, I will be returning, and I will finish this timeline.

Have a great summer, and if you want to see more stuff by me (shameless plug), check out my other timeline, A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free over in the Before 1900 forum. Hopefully the writer's block will go away soon!

Ahh well, I know how bad it is to have writers block, even worse when you have an idea and you can't write it down.

There's always mine if you want to read if you like, heh, nothing to do with Disney but might give you an idea nonetheless. Look forward to whenever you'll return to this TL. :)

Deleted member 100251

Ooof, I can totally relate - writers’s block sucks. Sad to see this go on hiatus but I rather have you make updates you want to make then have them be forced on you. At least AMPU’s still a thing!

Hope you have a great summer too!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.