when we get an update about it
Hopefully soon.
Though I do have part of the next post done. I wanted to post the rest of 2006 in full to get it done with but writing the descriptions of the games coming out is very difficult unless you guys would be fine with it being posted bit by bit.

Hopefully soon.
Though I do have part of the next post done. I wanted to post the rest of 2006 in full to get it done with but writing the descriptions of the games coming out is very difficult unless you guys would be fine with it being posted bit by bit.
Well, as long as we get any new updates on SET2, then I'm completely fine with it.

Hopefully soon.
do what you think is right

and would sonic adventure, adventure 2 and heroes receive critical acclaim?
I believe I covered SA1, SA2 & Sonic Heroes in previous chapters. Basically:

Sonic X-Treme ("Sonic Saturn" outside of the states, since both game concepts were combined ITTL to form a fully 3D game) - It shared a historic twin release date with Mario 64 and as a result had a massive media circus around it's release. Since it was Sonic 1's anniversary (both ITTL and OTL) it was called the day Mario crashed Sonic's party. It outsold Mario 64 everywhere except the USA, where Mario just barely won by a few million copies. But the main victory for Sega was that it outsold Mario 64 in Japan itself, becoming the Sonic game that basically made Japanese people ITTL actually interested in Sonic (though given Japan's track record of 2D/RPG stuff being more popular there it's possible that "Sonic Jam" would have been many Japanese fan's true go-to choice...I'm not sure. Point is that with Sonic having a presence on the Saturn and the Saturn being the #1 in Japan, it causes Sonic to finally breach Japan's interest despite previously being a non-factor in SoJ's marketing). Sonic X-Treme also prevented Nintendo from claiming to revolutionize the industry into 3D, since the two games shared the same day and year of release. Basically June 23, 1996 is the D-Day of Gaming ITTL.

Sonic Adventure - Was released in 1999, since X-Treme's release would've allowed it to wait. It was a Saturn game. The Saturn version was made to compliment the release of a new Saturn model (basically resembling the PS1 in shape/design and having more RAM) as well as a memory expansion pack for older models. It was stated that the Saturn version only contained Sonic, Tails & Knuckles' storylines but honestly I'm probably gonna go back and say that the Saturn was able to handle the whole game because I don't see why it wouldn't be able to. Just with...well, Saturn graphics. And...yeah. But it was very well recieved. The "DX" version was released (presumably with the OTL Dreamcast/PS2 era looks) as "Sonic Adventure: Millennium Edition" in 2000 when the Neptune launched as the expanded/upgraded version of the game. Presumably it would've featured bug fixes and the DX features like mission mode, unlockable Metal Sonic and the game gear games. Received positive reviews but wasn't as phenomenal as X-Treme, since that was a much more famous game and was still recent in everyone's memory. Also SA1 IOTL was praised at the time of it's release, negative reviews OTL only came in after the DX port.

Sonic Adventure 2 - Was released in 2002 for the Neptune. It is basically the same game as OTL (was originally gonna change the plot but I decided not to, not sure if I edited it in at one point or left the original plan of plot changes) except with more polish to the graphics and cutscene animations, since the final delay was humorously because of raised quality standards following Jak & Daxter's release. ITTL it is the first major Sonic game released under the Sony banner, thus being the first one to not have the SEGA logo, which I'm sure for the alternate versions of us SEGA fans would be a tear-jerking realization. It was actually the second highest selling Neptune game, beaten by GTA. There wasn't much that could be done about that. But the point is yes, it received critical acclaim. Some critics probably would compare it to Mario Sunshine, and reach a consensus that it's a bit unfair because SA2 has much more content than Sunshine does (multiple characters, multiplayer, unlockable level/characters, chao garden etc). But in a way, SA2 vs Mario Sunshine was X-Treme vs 64 2.0. Except on a much smaller scale. And without the shared release date.

Sonic Heroes - Was released in 2003-2004 for the Neptune. Mostly the same game except with some alterations to it IIRC. Was not as famous/popular as the other two but still well received enough. I have forgotten some of the details so you might have to go back and read for yourself.

would the next-gen sonic game's plot be heavily based off of the movie?
If you mean the 2020 movie no that would make no sense.

If you mean the ITTL movie then yes to an extent because in the lore of this timeline it is said that the movie's screenplay was written by Roger Mark Kamen of Karate Kid fame based on a story from three Sony/Sonic Team people which was a Beta plotline for the next gen game ITTL. Albeit "directed" (butchered) by Raja Gosnell of Big Momma's House & Live Action Scooby Doo fame.

Basically the game will retain some elements of OTL 06, but it won't be to the extent of the ITTL film.

how would the peak of sonic's popularity in 1996 compare to other cultural icons (mostly bugs)

Last edited:
how would the peak of sonic's popularity in 1996 compare to other cultural icons (mostly bugs)
I feel like Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse etc. are their own league of cultural icons and aren't that relevant to gaming or anything like that?
Not sure why they matter here like their popularity wouldn't be affected.